PDA

View Full Version : Unwieldy title

Daekyras
03-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Is this the most unwieldy book title you've ever seen?

Edit: probably a good idea to add the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0575093323/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0G4Z2P7Y062HSVDWZ59M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

DahLliA
03-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Had to read the description to figure out what was going on, yeah :p

GonzoTheGreat
03-06-2015, 05:47 AM
On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1228).

Daekyras
03-06-2015, 01:51 PM
On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1228).

Thays a long title but its nowhere near as unweildy as something featuring double colons!

Khoram
03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Thays a long title but its nowhere near as unweildy as something featuring double colons!

Two colons? You should probably have a doctor check that out.

Part two of book 2. Why write a second part to the second book? Why not just end the second book, and make Part 2 the third installment?

Zombie Sammael
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Two colons? You should probably have a doctor check that out.

Part two of book 2. Why write a second part to the second book? Why not just end the second book, and make Part 2 the third installment?

Because this isn't the author's decision, but the publisher's, as evidenced by the fact that the original HC/TPB is only a single book. This is basically just saying that the book is too large to be published as a single mass market paperback so we'd like some more of your money, please.

Durvasha
03-08-2015, 12:21 AM
The original hardcover book isn't even that thick.

When I saw the first post, I was excited that the third book was out.

Is WoT the first book/series to start this hideous trend (I recall seeing two parts of the first book)?

Edited to add the red part.

Uno
03-08-2015, 01:53 AM
Meh, early modern books really had unwieldy titles. My personal favourite is Cadwallader Colden's The History of the Five Indian Nations of Canada Which are Dependent on the Province of New York and Are the Barrier Between the English and the French in That Part of the World. And that's the damn short title, because it continues beyond that.

Terez
03-08-2015, 03:02 AM
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. A throwback to the Darwin era, and before. I have never seen the movie but I know the title.

Daekyras
03-09-2015, 05:36 AM
The original hardcover book isn't even that thick.

When I saw the first post, I was excited that the third book was out.

Is WoT the first book/series to start this hideous trend (I recall seeing two parts of the first book)?

Edited to add the red part.

Raymond e feists Magician was originally split as it went to paper back. Thats the first I can remember....They were mcalled Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-09-2015, 06:15 AM
LoTR was split into three volumes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings#Publication_history) due to paper shortage and to keep the price down (apparently).

GonzoTheGreat
03-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series (which, technically, may not be Fantasy, I admit) was originally published as a bunch of short stories in pulp magazines.

Daekyras
03-09-2015, 06:35 AM
I was talking about books which were one volume as hardback and split for the conversion to paperback.

I didn't count books which were originally written in serial form (LotR etc)

yks 6nnetu hing
03-09-2015, 06:55 AM
I was talking about books which were one volume as hardback and split for the conversion to paperback.

I didn't count books which were originally written in serial form (LotR etc)

LoTR wasn't. It was one book to begin with, but was split into three parts for publication.

as for horrible titles, try this link (http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-book-titles-covers/) (careful, some nsfw)

as for long and unwieldy book titles, the 18th century produced some lovely examples, such as this:
A six months tour through the north of England, containing, an account of the present state of agriculture, manufactures and population, in several counties of this kingdom. Particularly, I. The nature, value, and rental of the soil. II. The size of farms, with account of their stock, products, population, and various methods of culture. III. The use, expence, andprofit of several sorts of manure. IV. The breed of cattle, and the respective profits attending them. V. The state of the waste lands which might and ought to be cultivated. VI. The condition and number of the poor, with their rates, earnings, &c. VII. The prices of labour and provisions, and the population between them. VIII. The register of many curious and useful experiments in agriculture, and general practices in rural oeconomics communicated by several of the nobility, gentry, &c. &c. Interspersed with descriptions of the seats of the nobility and gentry; and other remarkable objects: illustrated with copper plates of such implements of husbandry, as deserve to be generally known; and views of some picturesque scones, with occurred in the course of the journey. Also, experiments on rearing and fattening of hogs. As laid before the Society of Arts, &c. In three volumes [Arthur Young, 1770]

Daekyras
03-09-2015, 06:59 AM
LoTR wasn't. It was one book to begin with, but was split into three parts for publication.

as for horrible titles, try this link (http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-book-titles-covers/) (careful, some nsfw)

as for long and unwieldy book titles, the 18th century produced some lovely examples, such as this:

Thats a great title/first chapter!

I didn't realise LotR was published combined before it was separated.

I always thought it was the three books and eventually got combined in the forties. Nice to know.

Toss the Dice probably wouldn't care though(read my sig)!

yks 6nnetu hing
03-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Thats a great title/first chapter!

I didn't realise LotR was published combined before it was separated.

I always thought it was the three books and eventually got combined in the forties. Nice to know.

Toss the Dice probably wouldn't care though(read my sig)!

er... yes and no, LoTR was written as one book; it was done at the time they wanted to publish it. however then it turned out that publishin g it as one big book would 1) take too much paper, which was at a deficit at that time and therefore 2) would have to be priced too high. So it was published in 3 parts over a few years.

GonzoTheGreat
03-09-2015, 07:53 AM
It was also published (later on, perhaps) as one single book. I know because I found one of those in a library to show at school. There we had a system where you had to read a specific number of books (12) in English, and also a specific minimum number of pages (4,000) so that you wouldn't put 12 very thin books on your list. By showing LoTR in one volume, I could put that on the list and immediately get 1,200 or so pages added to my tally. Together with two works by Shakespeare (each of which counted for 600 pages, no matter how many (or few) they actually had, I didn't have to worry much about the page requirement anymore.

The Unreasoner
03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
as for horrible titles, try this link (http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-book-titles-covers/) (careful, some nsfw):

lol...I own one of those.

Daekyras
03-09-2015, 07:17 PM
lol...I own one of those.

Practical pyromancy???

The Unreasoner
03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Practical pyromancy???
Practical Pyromaniac. I also have Backyard Ballistics.