PDA

View Full Version : The Eye of the World re-read

isamu237
03-08-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm been away from the boards, and WoT in general, for a very, very long time. But that horrendous TV "pilot" episode inspired me to do a reread. I haven't cracked a WoT book since AMoL; both the story and real-world emotions took a good bit of time to settle.

I don't think I ever really appreciated how good EotW is before this reread. Not just as a WoT book, but from a purely literary critique point of view. The prose is very fluid, the story very tight, the characters instantly engaging. I remember my first read through being confused to varying degrees at several points (the prologue, Rand's channeling sicknesses, Rand's interaction with the Eye) but in hindsight those points are supposed to be confusing since the reader lacks critical information at those points in the story; but the passages are not so enigmatic as to distract from the narrative instead enhancing the suspense and interest.
The only point I can seriously critique is the road to Caemlyn as the flashback narrative RJ chose to employ is still rather muddled even after so many reads.

Has anyone else had similar impressions on rereading? How many put EotW at or near the top of a favorites list? Or do you find the story matures and ripens as it progresses?

Davian93
03-08-2015, 07:46 PM
In a lot of ways, tEotW is my favorite WoT book. Its so different from any of the others and it can essentially serve as a standalone novel (given that a full book deal wasn't a guarantee when he wrote it, that makes sense).

Sure, it doesn't have as much character development as TSR (many people's favorite) but the narrative is tight and its a definite page-turner. There aren't really any slow parts unlike several of the later books. And their powers are quite limited so you feel they are always in real danger this early on in the story. At times in the later books, you get the feeling that the magic has gotten so strong that they're never in any real danger.

rand
03-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I definitely think I like tEotW more each time I read it. That and tGH. I remember when we'd do a rating of the books I wouldn't always put those two very high, but I would now. I think I thought they were too Tolkien-y for a while, but I've come to appreciate RJ's work in those two books a lot over the years. There's been a few times when I just decided to reread tEotW over a week. Not the whole series, just tEotW. I think part of it is because it's just fun. You don't have to keep track of 3,000 characters or remember what was going on in some obscure subplot three books back. It's just a simple, fun, and very well-written fantasy book.

Daekyras
03-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I definitely think I like tEotW more each time I read it. That and tGH. I remember when we'd do a rating of the books I wouldn't always put those two very high, but I would now. I think I thought they were too Tolkien-y for a while, but I've come to appreciate RJ's work in those two books a lot over the years. There's been a few times when I just decided to reread tEotW over a week. Not the whole series, just tEotW. I think part of it is because it's just fun. You don't have to keep track of 3,000 characters or remember what was going on in some obscure subplot three books back. It's just a simple, fun, and very well-written fantasy book.

I really like the eye of the world. But I freakin LOVE the Great Hunt. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that tFoH exists I would say tGH is the best adventure fantasy I've ever read.

And I don't care if i sound a bit fanboyish here but tFoH is the best book I've ever read. It is just about perfect.

isamu237
03-10-2015, 01:20 AM
I've never been able to like TGH that much; mainly for the reasons brought up here about what makes EotW so great. TGH doesn't flow nearly as well and we see the beginnings of RJ's going nuts with the hanging plot threads. There's a HECKUVA lot in TGH which makes little to no sense until books written far down the line. The plot threads in EotW aren't hanging so much as varying degrees of loose. Subsequent information on the big plot points in EotW merely ADD TO rather than being wholly NECESSARY to even understand what is going on.