PDA

View Full Version : Encyclopedia

isamu237
03-25-2015, 09:58 PM
My lovely wife just sent me the FB press release for the Encyclopedia and my first thought was "meeeeehhhhhh." Was anyone else underwhelmed? I didn't see a page count, but from the press release it seemed like a slight expansion of the BWB, or the end of the book glossaries. And I was expecting more world expanding information. Things not necessarily revealed in the series but written in the notes as background info.
Am I all wet here?

WinespringBrother
03-25-2015, 11:57 PM
So, a "reveal" about Bela, eh? What, she really is the neigh'blis, or something? Perhaps she was the animal throwback offspring of trollocs? Does she ride on as Hawkwing's mount in tel'aran'rhiod?

Terez
03-26-2015, 12:13 AM
My lovely wife just sent me the FB press release for the Encyclopedia and my first thought was "meeeeehhhhhh." Was anyone else underwhelmed? I didn't see a page count, but from the press release it seemed like a slight expansion of the BWB, or the end of the book glossaries. And I was expecting more world expanding information. Things not necessarily revealed in the series but written in the notes as background info.
Am I all wet here?
The BWB only covered books 1-8 if I recall, and the glossaries don't include bios for every character, or anything close to it. This is a huge undertaking rivaled only by the online Encyclopaedia WoT in its scope, but as it's an inside job it will include lots of info from RJ's notes. I have seen those notes, and there is a lot of interesting stuff in there, particularly as it relates to character bios (especially the Aes Sedai). I have only shared tidbits from what I saw. We also have nothing approaching a complete Old Tongue dictionary; online versions have only been able to define a few dozen words; RJ defined around 800 from what I understand.

I am looking forward to it, though there are some things I don't really care about (like Last Battle maps).