PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Dysfunction and Climate Change

Davian93
04-01-2015, 11:22 AM
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/237478-mcconnell-warns-countries-against-un-climate-plan

Hey look, its the GOP Senate once again mucking crap up that they shouldn't even be discussing.

The GOP is definitely ready to govern.

Nazbaque
04-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Read the comment section on that one? My head seriously hurts from the irony.

connabard
04-01-2015, 01:24 PM
I honestly have tried for many years at this point to understand why anyone is against movements to reduce climate change, etc

I just, I can't seem to understand. The Kyoto Accord was bullshit, obviously, but what gain is there from denying climate change exists and denying any attempt to reduce it

I just don't get why

Nazbaque
04-01-2015, 01:31 PM
I honestly have tried for many years at this point to understand why anyone is against movements to reduce climate change, etc

I just, I can't seem to understand. The Kyoto Accord was bullshit, obviously, but what gain is there from denying climate change exists and denying any attempt to reduce it

I just don't get why

I think of it as a religious matter. No point in looking for sense in it, it's their religion of the oil god.

Kimon
04-01-2015, 03:12 PM
I think of it as a religious matter. No point in looking for sense in it, it's their religion of the oil god.

Greed definitely plays a significant role, but there are two other factors that are obviously at play, both of which very much walk hand-in-hand together, and with greed. The first is a sense of it's the next generation's problem, and f 'em, why should they care if the world kicks the bucket so long as it waits until after they do. The second is a sense of inevitability. That it can't be fixed, so f it, let's make as much money as we can, and if Florida isn't there in a few years, oh well, at least we'll have enough money to buy a beach house in Atlanta...

Addendum:

I personally find the above types far less scary than those who actually think that Jesus is going to fly down and just wave his magic wand and fix everything. At least you can reason with the greedy and the callous, the insane are much more difficult to negotiate with. Although on the other hand the latter are more easily manipulated, though unfortunately they tend to be willing to be manipulated more by greedy oligarchs who pretend to be religious than by agnostics who poke fun at there imaginary friends. So pick your poison...

Davian93
04-01-2015, 05:38 PM
http://localcircles.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/climate-joke1.jpg?daad79

Terez
04-01-2015, 05:49 PM
I personally find the above types far less scary than those who actually think that Jesus is going to fly down and just wave his magic wand and fix everything.
It's more than that. It's the belief that:

1. Any increase in extreme climate events is a sign of the End Times as predicted by the Bible.

2. Any attempt to explain these events in any other way is the work of the Devil, and all this support for the Devil's explanation is also a sign of the End Times, this great mass delusion which was also predicted by the Bible.

3. Climate Change, such as it is, exists only as a punishment from God, not for treating the Earth badly, but for turning away from God (usually evidenced by the prevalence of sexual sins, since God doesn't care as much about other sins).

4. There will be a Great Tribulation (yet to begin) for 7 years, during which we must be unbendingly loyal to Israel at all costs, even though that is also a sign of the End Times, and after that, yes, Jesus will fix it, and peace will reign on Earth for 1000 years (after which the Devil will be released from his prison only to be vanquished again.....sound familiar?).

Davian93
04-01-2015, 05:53 PM
T just nailed it all around...sadly.

Drives me up a wall to hear it.

Davian93
04-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Am I the only one annoyed that the Bible stole so much of its end times from Wheel of Time? Kinda lazy there by the Apostle (well, the ghostwriters that were employed 300-400 years later to write under their names at least)

The "funny" thing about the Israel/end times part is the part where they all ignore that Israel is supposed to be at peace and/or invaded only to beat back the invasion. They seem to ignore that when not supporting efforts to make real peace there.

The world would be a lot better place had the Council of Nicaea (I know, it didn't actually happen there) had booted Revelations from the Christian canon as the mere ravings of a madman with no basis in reality. It'd be a better place if they had decided on a religion based around the teachings of the Christ rather than the teachings of Paul. Modern-day Christianity has a lot more Paulists in it than actual Christians.

Terez
04-01-2015, 06:06 PM
The world would be a lot better place had the Council of Nicaea (I know, it didn't actually happen there) had booted Revelations from the Christian canon as the mere ravings of a madman with no basis in reality. It'd be a better place if they had decided on a religion based around the teachings of the Christ rather than the teachings of Paul. Modern-day Christianity has a lot more Paulists in it than actual Christians.
The funny thing is that many of the verses which support certain major beliefs about events actually come from outside Revelation. Revelation does not give much detail at all, at least not much that is relatable to the modern world in any way; as a teenager fascinated with eschatology I was rather disappointed to discover that. The Christian eschatology is largely drawn from the Old Testament prophets, and major beliefs about what will happen are often based on a single, highly interpretable verse in Daniel or Ezekiel or Isaiah.

Davian93
04-01-2015, 06:11 PM
The funny thing is that many of the verses which support certain major beliefs about events actually come from outside Revelation. Revelation does not give much detail at all, at least not much that is relatable to the modern world in any way; as a teenager fascinated with eschatology I was rather disappointed to discover that. The Christian eschatology is largely drawn from the Old Testament prophets, and major beliefs about what will happen are often based on a single, highly interpretable verse in Daniel or Ezekiel or Isaiah.

It is, it definitely is but its done so in that fashion to justify the believe in the End Times and it has led to repeated periods of religious hysteria where that potential end times has led to all sorts of issues. We're dealing with yet another period of that hysteria right now in our country.

Terez
04-01-2015, 06:24 PM
It is, it definitely is but its done so in that fashion to justify the believe in the End Times and it has led to repeated periods of religious hysteria where that potential end times has led to all sorts of issues. We're dealing with yet another period of that hysteria right now in our country.
As I have mentioned before, the original Jerusalem Church that existed between the death of Jesus and the Great Revolt, they believed that the End would come in their time. How much more reason did they have to believe it? I always want to smack people when they go on about how the world is going downhill. It's like they've never even heard of Caligula.