PDA

View Full Version : Glad our school bus driver cares

Brita
09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
This is crazy- 5 years old! My kid's bus driver treats them like snowflakes, but I would prefer that to a bus driver that just sends a 5 year old off the bus in NYC because his line is finished- talk about irresponsible. And kudos for reporting that a stanger actually helped- we hear so much about stranger danger that it is often forgotten that there are strangers taht are decent people like you and me.

NEW YORK - A New York City mother wants to know why her first-grade son was left to wander the streets alone after being dropped off by a school bus driver at the end of the line.

School officials say they don't know who put five-year-old Jaeden Vasquez on the bus Thursday - especially since he wasn't even supposed to be on it.

He lives across the street from the school in the Bronx.

His mother, Aileen Bonilla, says the school apologized but that isn't enough.

Five-year-old children aren't supposed to be let off school buses unless an adult is waiting. Jaeden says he was ordered off the bus at the last stop, more than three kilometres from his home. A stranger brought him home.

School officials say they are investigating.

Cary Sedai
09-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Was he let off with other students? Did he say anything to the bus driver about being lost or anything?

I'll withold my "wtf" until I know. Cause if the bus driver was letting off other children, and the 5 yo didn't say anything, then the bus driver might not be some jerk.

Brita
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
True enough. I guess coming from a rural community- our bus drivers know all our children by name, and where their stop is and when they should get off. In a big city it might be different.

GonzoTheGreat
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Still, the kid apparently should not have been dropped off unless there was an adult waiting for him. An adult he would presumably recognise as "good folk", though that bit wasn't specified in the story.

Brita
09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
There are two rules in our bus system to try and prevent this exact situation (because we all know bus drivers have their hands full).

1. Must see an adult for children under a certain age (the age probably varies, but 5 years old would definitely fall into this category)

2. Kids must have one pick up location, and one drop off location. No using the bus to go to a friend's house, or even chilcare arrangments. It is just too hard for the drivers to keep track.

These rules can be annoying for us busy parents that are trying to arrange childcare etc- but imagine being a bus driver that is responsible for dozens of children and driving at the same time. These rules work.

Cary Sedai
09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I was a latch-key kid myself, and there was never an adult waiting on me, or any of the rest of us either. Of course we weren't in a big city, either.

Here in Austin, I've rarely seen an adult waiting at the bus stop, and a lot of our school kids ride the city bus to and from school. The most they get is a warning on the back of the bus that states "caution: school kids may be entering or exiting the bus"

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 12:03 PM
our bus driver knew us all - all 50 of us who squeezed onto our double decker bus. rules were: get on, show your ticket (no matter if they've seen you every day twice for the last 2 years), busdriver then knows where you're going, and at your stop you get shouted at if you don't get off.

but then, that's not an elementary school bus.

my little brother takes a bus to school every day, and they have the same rules. (apart from that they really are treated like snowflakes on an armoured bus with bulletproof glass, and an armed mossad guard at the front >.< )

if the kid wasn't supposed to have been on the bus, why did the driver let him on? especially with young childred there should be some sort of supervising system.

Weird Harold
09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
True enough. I guess coming from a rural community- our bus drivers know all our children by name, and where their stop is and when they should get off. In a big city it might be different.
A school bus holds 20 to 50 kids whether it is in the country or a big city. Even if a driver has to pick up two or three loads each day, that's easily few enough for a driver to at least know the faces and numbers for each stop on each route.

Sarevok
09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hmm, can't really comment on this... I've never been on a bus. I walked to elementary school (5 min) and rode my bike to high school (15 min).

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
You were on a bus in Copenhagen just this summer sare! A rather unusual bus but a bus none the less

Sarevok
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
You know I mean a schoolbus, Naz :p

irerancincpkc
09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
My family was friends with my bus driver, and the one time my mom didn't make it to the bus stop, the driver took me to her house. She was a good cook... :D