PDA

View Full Version : Rape Database

Terez
04-11-2015, 10:37 AM
I had never heard of Darren Sharper until someone linked this in-depth article at Malazan:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/12045730-123/upon-further-review-inside-the

It's an excellent look at how sexual assault cases go unpunished in the US. I found this quote particularly on-point:

Anne Munch, a former prosecutor who worked on the Kobe Bryant rape trial in Colorado, is one of the country’s leading experts in the investigation of sexual assaults, providing advice to the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice and police departments interested in improving their investigative techniques.

At ProPublica’s request, Munch agreed to review the public records released by law enforcement agencies in conjunction with the Sharper investigation. [...]

“One of the priorities in these cases, given what we know about sex offenders, is that it’s typically not a he said, she said situation,” she said.

“It’s he said, they said.”
You guys know how much I love databases, so you can imagine how much it frustrates me that a potential solution to the problem of serial rapists is being ignored by police departments. It should be required to use it.

tworiverswoman
04-17-2015, 08:35 PM
An interesting article, yes. I do find it thought-provoking that, as far as I could determine, not one of the police investigators was female. I found myself wondering what the percentage of rape cases across the country is ever handled by a woman investigator, and if they handle them any differently. Less ... casually, maybe.

My personal stance on rape is that it's only barely about sex. It's more about power. It has little or nothing to do with lust and everything to do with control. A man who has non-consensual sex with an unconscious partner is unlikely to be enjoying the sex, in and of itself - how much genuine pleasure can there be in coupling with an awkward, unresponsive sack? So the only "pleasure" I can discern would be in the fact that he's getting away with something horrible. Actually, the level of contempt being displayed is fairly mind-boggling.

As for the database - while I totally agree that it's dismaying how few cases are plugged into it - from the sound of it it would be quite time-consuming to input the data, and I'm pretty sure that time is something police departments across the country would agree is NOT something they have lots of. So, yeah, it would be terrific if it became a standard part of the paperwork, but it would probably need a dedicated set of data-entry people to keep it up-to-date. Can't we afford to hire some instead of some junket or other by one of our more useless politicos?

As an aside, I found the article quite well-written, but found myself snorting at the concluding few lines, and muttering "well, DUH" at the end.

Davian93
04-18-2015, 09:43 AM
In general, how many police officers are female? 10%? 15%? Its a very male dominated field (outside of police procedural tv shows where there is always one piece of female eye candy who just happens to be a tough as nails cop who's out to avenge her dead husband, father, etc.

Frenzy
04-18-2015, 04:09 PM
In general, how many police officers are female? 10%? 15%? Its a very male dominated field (outside of police procedural tv shows where there is always one piece of female eye candy who just happens to be a tough as nails cop who's out to avenge her dead husband, father, etc.

oh geez that trope is soooooo tired! Only one of the reasons why i adore the character of Detective Eliza Maza from Gargoyles (a freakin' cartoon gets it right...)

If that database were a priority, departments would make it happen. i recently got a bunch of free data-crunching labor from a senior seminar class at a local university. i gave them 5 years of sewer maintenance & overflow data, they gave me a hotspot map & program improvement proposals & aced their class. Granted i can't do a lot of what they suggest (i'm not made of money and there's only so much you can legally require people to do), but all it cost me was a few hours of meeting time.

Terez
04-18-2015, 05:28 PM
I get the feeling it's not a priority because police departments are stubbornly old school. The data entry shouldn't be too difficult.

Nazbaque
04-21-2015, 07:40 AM
My personal stance on rape is that it's only barely about sex. It's more about power. It has little or nothing to do with lust and everything to do with control. A man who has non-consensual sex with an unconscious partner is unlikely to be enjoying the sex, in and of itself - how much genuine pleasure can there be in coupling with an awkward, unresponsive sack? So the only "pleasure" I can discern would be in the fact that he's getting away with something horrible. Actually, the level of contempt being displayed is fairly mind-boggling.

No doubt this is true for that certain type of case yes, but I believe there is a lot more variety to it. Even in cases that involve a knockout drug it isn't a given that the act happened during the unconscious period. Wait for the victim to gain some consciousness, maybe even full consciousness, then knock her out again. Control is still the primary source of pleasure, but I would speculate that being in control of something more aware than an unresponsive sack would be more satisfying as well.

What makes the issue of rape so complicated is the clash between nature and civilization. Sex is where human beings are closest to their primal urges closest to the inner animal, but consent is a concept of civilization rather than nature.

"It's not a rape if she enjoys it" is a rather disgusting stance and sometimes I wonder if it's the opposite in some cases. Wouldn't the most horrifying part of that traumatic experience be to find that on some primal level you enjoyed it?

Ivhon
04-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Wouldn't the most horrifying part of that traumatic experience be to find that on some primal level you enjoyed it?

That's frequently the first thing I have to normalize when working with survivors. The guilt and shame that the body reacted to the mechanics of stimulation.