PDA

View Full Version : TDR: What Siuan said to Mat

zel
04-16-2015, 10:37 AM
I have a question that is probably easily explained as "Aes Sedai speak", but maybe someone can just clarify for me.

In Chapter 20 of TDR, titled "Visitations", When Mat asks about Rand, Siuan responds

“As far as I know,” the Amyrlin said smoothly, “the boy is well enough, but who can say? I have seen him only once, the time I saw you, in Fal Dara.”

But we know that she "saw" him multiple times and met him separately from the time she first saw him.

So, we all know that she's not a darkfriend, and I don't think she is lying, but it just seemed to be skirting that whole "never speak a word that is untrue" oath.

(And to be completely honest, until I started writing this, i mis-remembered h er meeting with Rand and thought it was in the WT.)

GonzoTheGreat
04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
She considers her visit to Fal Dara to be "one meeting" and using that definition it was indeed "just once". Under the circumstances, it's not an unreasonable way of speaking, so I don't think it can be called a lie.
It does show that you can't take what an AS says as the literal truth, which in turn means that this whole Oath is pretty pointless anyway.

Kimon
04-16-2015, 09:30 PM
She considers her visit to Fal Dara to be "one meeting" and using that definition it was indeed "just once". Under the circumstances, it's not an unreasonable way of speaking, so I don't think it can be called a lie.
It does show that you can't take what an AS says as the literal truth, which in turn means that this whole Oath is pretty pointless anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ