PDA

View Full Version : UK Election...

Davian93
04-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Do we have any active Brits on here anymore? If so, can someone please give a brief explanation of what's likely going to happen?

From the outside looking in, it looks like the SNP is gutting Labour north of the border and thus destroying any chance they have of regaining the Premiership. It also looks like the Lib Dem/Tory alliance won't have the seats it needs for a majority either. Are they going to have a hung parliament or will there be some sort of Left-leaning coalition (SNP & Labour?) to take over from Cameron? Is there any possibility of a grand coalition of Labour/Lib Dems/SNP? All 3 seem like they have a hell of a lot more in common with each other than any of them have with the Conservative (still perplexed by the last parliament alliance to be honest...seems like the Lib Dems were kinda dumb there).

Anyone? Bueller?

GonzoTheGreat
04-30-2015, 12:14 PM
There's also a Welsh nationalist party, which may get a seat (or perhaps even two) if Labour makes a mess of their campaign in that part of the country.

On the other side of the spectrum there's UKIP, which is more conservative than the Conservatives, but also a lot less competent. Doesn't stop them from getting votes, but it does slow them down.

Then there is a Green party, I think, which may also have (or maybe get in the future) some seats.

If the Conservatives win, they're gonna hold a referendum on leaving the EU. That's going to be fun, especially if they get a "leave" vote in England and "stay" in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Davian93
04-30-2015, 12:27 PM
How damaging would it be to the EU for the UK to withdraw? And vice-versa of course.

I'd imagine that'd piss off France & Germany something awful.

Sarevok
04-30-2015, 02:20 PM
What with the Dutch governing coalition being busy trying not to fall apart and the stuff in Nepal, I wasn't even really aware there was a UK election going...:o

Daekyras
04-30-2015, 02:48 PM
How damaging would it be to the EU for the UK to withdraw? And vice-versa of course.

I'd imagine that'd piss off France & Germany something awful.

For the EU? A big blow.

For the UK? They are strong enough to take the hit.

For us irish? We would be screwed. Serio

@gonzo. A referendum like that would be UK-centric and not regional so the total vote would count.

Zombie Sammael
04-30-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm in Australia now, and don't really feel I have a horse in the race, but the worst case scenario is a Tory/UKIP coalition, which seems to have a chance if happening. If it does, you can kiss any kibd of progressive policy goodbye; there will be no welfare state left abd we will be out of the EU faster than you can say euroskeptic. Labour/SNO/Live Dem/Green or any combinatim thereof is the best xase but unlikely to happen. String possibility is outright Tory win.

Nazbaque
05-01-2015, 01:23 AM
I'm in Australia now, and don't really feel I have a horse in the race, but the worst case scenario is a Tory/UKIP coalition, which seems to have a chance if happening. If it does, you can kiss any kibd of progressive policy goodbye; there will be no welfare state left abd we will be out of the EU faster than you can say euroskeptic. Labour/SNO/Live Dem/Green or any combinatim thereof is the best xase but unlikely to happen. String possibility is outright Tory win.

You're using some non-keyboard writing tool again! The typos! The horror!

Zombie Sammael
05-01-2015, 08:52 PM
You're using some non-keyboard writing tool again! The typos! The horror!

People seem to want me to post more. If that's the case, they'll simply have to put up with me posting from my iPad (and correcting the typos later if i can be bothered)!

Davian93
05-02-2015, 12:49 PM
People seem to want me to post more. If that's the case, they'll simply have to put up with me posting from my iPad (and correcting the typos later if i can be bothered)!

No, we want you to post more AND we will continue to bust you on that.

Because we care...we care a lot.

Lupusdeusest
05-03-2015, 04:15 AM
No, we want you to post more AND we will continue to bust you on that.

Because we care...we care a lot.

But what of the privilege?!

GonzoTheGreat
05-07-2015, 03:31 AM
Naturally, the BBC has a report on the elections tonight, presenting results and such from the various constituencies and speculation about what those confusing results will mean. To get everyone in the mood, the report is preceded by an hour long documentary aptly named "Shark".

The Unreasoner
05-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Cameron=Insufferable Douchebag

Miliband=Pompous Weakling

Farage=Dangerous Lunatic

Clegg=Slimy Opportunist

UK=SOL

Too bad David's out.

Kimon
05-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Cameron=Insufferable Douchebag

Miliband=Pompous Weakling

Farage=Dangerous Lunatic

Clegg=Slimy Opportunist

UK=SOL

Too bad David's out.

This actually sounds a lot like our elections, except with more choices.

Davian93
05-08-2015, 06:51 AM
The Tories won?!?

Wow, that's gotta be a bit of a shock. So...five more years of austerity then and a potential withdrawal from the EU?

Good luck with that.

Looks like Labour has utterly collapsed as a major force too...good work by Mr. Blair there to utterly destroy a political party. Same with the Lib Dems utterly collapsing...guess that coalition with the Tories wasn't such a great idea afterall.

Hopefully the US voters arent this stupid next year.

GonzoTheGreat
05-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Oh, of course the voters in the USA would never be as stupid as those anywhere in Europe. More stupid, possibly, but limiting themselves to what they could have had if they hadn't bothered with that tea party at all? There'd be no point to that, would there?

Davian93
05-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Oh, of course the voters in the USA would never be as stupid as those anywhere in Europe. More stupid, possibly, but limiting themselves to what they could have had if they hadn't bothered with that tea party at all? There'd be no point to that, would there?

Nope, never. And we definitely wouldn't compound it by reelecting the same idiocy. Oh crap.

Kimon
05-08-2015, 04:25 PM
The Tories won?!?

Wow, that's gotta be a bit of a shock. So...five more years of austerity then and a potential withdrawal from the EU?

Good luck with that.

Looks like Labour has utterly collapsed as a major force too...good work by Mr. Blair there to utterly destroy a political party. Same with the Lib Dems utterly collapsing...guess that coalition with the Tories wasn't such a great idea afterall.

The results in Scotland actually seem more alarming.

GonzoTheGreat
05-09-2015, 03:32 AM
Actually, when you look at the actual number of votes, then Labour won more (over seven hundred thousand extra votes) than the Conservatives did (about five hundred thousand more than in 2010). But because of the way in which parliamentary seats are handed out, this growth in support was utterly useless to Labour.

Kimon
05-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Actually, when you look at the actual number of votes, then Labour won more (over seven hundred thousand extra votes) than the Conservatives did (about five hundred thousand more than in 2010). But because of the way in which parliamentary seats are handed out, this growth in support was utterly useless to Labour.

The same sometimes happens here. For instance, in the 2012 congressional election in my old deme, Michigan, the dems won 2.3 million votes to 2 million for the republicans, but the dems won five seats in congress, the republicans 9. Obama carried the state in the presidential election by almost the same margin, 2.5 million to 2.1 for Romney. That one of course went by state, not district. The issue is that in certain areas, like Detroit, the dems take around 90% of the vote. The same oddity pops up in a few other states. In Pennsylvania in 2012, the dems had just 80,000 more votes in the congressional elections than the republicans, but won 5 seats to 13 for the republicans. Again, the issue was overwhelming majorities in the big cities, here Philly and Pittsburgh.

Where are you seeing though that Labour actually got more votes than the Tories? BBC is listing 11.3 million for the Tories and 9.3 for Labour. Even if you add back in the SNP votes (which would have otherwise been almost all Labour votes) that only adds another 1.4 million, which would still have left the Tories with more overall, albeit by a narrower margin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/results

Davian93
05-09-2015, 12:32 PM
The results in Scotland actually seem more alarming.

Given the lack of any SNP members in the ruling coalition and the Tories historic antagonism there...this could definitely push for Scottish Independence...especially since Scotland wants to stay in the EU (not that the EU probably really wants them that much) while the Tories seemingly want to pull out.

SNP taking away Labour's historic base there has fvcked over both parties to be honest.

Davian93
05-09-2015, 12:35 PM
The same sometimes happens here. For instance, in the 2012 congressional election in my old deme, Michigan, the dems won 2.3 million votes to 2 million for the republicans, but the dems won five seats in congress, the republicans 9. Obama carried the state in the presidential election by almost the same margin, 2.5 million to 2.1 for Romney. That one of course went by state, not district. The issue is that in certain areas, like Detroit, the dems take around 90% of the vote. The same oddity pops up in a few other states. In Pennsylvania in 2012, the dems had just 80,000 more votes in the congressional elections than the republicans, but won 5 seats to 13 for the republicans. Again, the issue was overwhelming majorities in the big cities, here Philly and Pittsburgh.

Where are you seeing though that Labour actually got more votes than the Tories? BBC is listing 11.3 million for the Tories and 9.3 for Labour. Even if you add back in the SNP votes (which would have otherwise been almost all Labour votes) that only adds another 1.4 million, which would still have left the Tories with more overall, albeit by a narrower margin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/results

Gerrymandering sucks...a shame California doesn't allow it to make up for TX, PA, NC, etc and the other massively rigged states in the US for the GOP. MD and IL go the other way but they can't compete unfortunately. If CA did it, the Dems would have a legit shot at taking the House at some point...as it stands, it won't matter until the next census.

GonzoTheGreat
05-10-2015, 03:34 AM
Labour did not get more votes than the Tories, they got more votes than they got the previous election.
Both Labour and the Tories attracted more voters this time than they did in 2010, but while that was a gain for the Conservatives, it actually was a loss for Labour.