PDA

View Full Version : The Re-Enlightenment?

Kimon
05-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Maybe Fox News was right, and if so, our quiet little war apparently has been going well, even in Mississippi!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32710444

On the other hand, as I work for a Catholic school, this is a bit of a mixed bag for me...

Terez
05-12-2015, 04:51 PM
The United States still remains home to more Christians than any other nation, with roughly seven-in-ten continuing to identify with some branch of Christianity.
It's like they've never heard of Poland.

Kimon
05-12-2015, 05:32 PM
In more progressive news, the dems, contrary to Southpaw's assumption of all being puppets of the tyrant-king, scuttled that atrocious free trade bill. Hopefully the dems continue to hold ground on this. NAFTA was a mistake, as would be this. Someone needs to stand up for workers' rights, it certainly won't be the republicans, nor Obama obviously, but nice to see that Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders aren't completely lone voices in the wilderness.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/241780-senate-deals-stinging-defeat-to-obama-trade-agenda

Heck, maybe if that other trend continues in a few decades we might actually have a chance of electing an openly agnostic president. One can dream...

ShadowbaneX
05-12-2015, 11:07 PM
It's like they've never heard of Poland.

Where now? Po-land? Never heard of. In related news, did you know that Pope John Paul II was a good American?

Terez
05-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Where now? Po-land? Never heard of. In related news, did you know that Pope John Paul II was a good American?
The blessing of Jan Paweł beings upon yuo.

http://image.blingee.com/images18/content/output/000/000/000/757/713893090_811745.gif

ShadowbaneX
05-13-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm Agnostic bordering on Atheist...pretty sure they're not upon me. Also, I take offense to being called a good Christian.

eht slat meit
05-13-2015, 12:55 AM
/epilepsy-inducing picutre

Suddenly I realized that they're not actually simulating speaking in unknown tongues and the throes of divine passion, but suffering from seizures. Time for an aspirin.

Frenzy
05-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Heck, maybe if that other trend continues in a few decades we might actually have a chance of electing an openly agnostic president. One can dream...

yeah, and one day it might rain beer.

Kimon
05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
yeah, and one day it might rain beer.

Once upon a time we did elect Jefferson. He wasn't quite an agnostic, but he was open about his critiques of Christianity in a way that seemingly no other since has been.

I'm not holding my breath for the opportunity to actually vote for a viable agnostic or atheist, though I can't help but wonder how I would vote if presented with the choice between a typical progressive, but deeply religious, Democrat, or a Republican typical in all ways except believing in evolution, global warming, and openly agnostic. I've never voted for a Republican, but I have to admit, in that case I'd be very tempted.

Terez
05-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Good thing it's about as likely to happen as beer rain. I can see us electing an open agnostic in the next 20 years, but I'd be very surprised if it were a Republican. I know that many atheist/agnostic Republicans exist, but not enough to get one through a GOP primary. There are too many Republicans who vote based on religious beliefs alone.

GonzoTheGreat
05-15-2015, 03:24 AM
Then again, who knows what the Republican party will be like in 20 years time?
If being fundamentalist Christian becomes a recipe for losing elections, they may very well decide to change tack and be wacky in entirely new and unexpected ways. Kimon's atheist could be campaigning on deserving the right to marry all three his boyfriends.

Davian93
05-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Once upon a time we did elect Jefferson. He wasn't quite an agnostic, but he was open about his critiques of Christianity in a way that seemingly no other since has been.

I'm not holding my breath for the opportunity to actually vote for a viable agnostic or atheist, though I can't help but wonder how I would vote if presented with the choice between a typical progressive, but deeply religious, Democrat, or a Republican typical in all ways except believing in evolution, global warming, and openly agnostic. I've never voted for a Republican, but I have to admit, in that case I'd be very tempted.

IIRC, Jefferson was more of a Unitarian...he believed Jesus existed but was just a great guy, not the son of God. He believed in a higher power but not really the Christian version of said power.

Been a while though so I could be misremembering there.