PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Ozy

Nazbaque
05-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Saw the notification, didn't see a thread, thought "Well we might not always see eye to eye on certain subjects, but a birthday is a birthday."

So, many happy returns Ozy!

Daekyras
05-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Happy birthday oz.

oh, and why did you choose that username? Watchmen? Mythology? A big fan of romantic poetry?

Davian93
05-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Happy Birthday, Ozy!

Kimon
05-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Happy birthday oz.

oh, and why did you choose that username? Watchmen? Mythology? A big fan of romantic poetry?

Happy Birthday Ozy.

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

A beautiful poem, even if that wasn't the immediate source of your nom de plume. Oh, and for the record Daekyras, Ramses (aka Ozymandias) might be in that grey area of limited actual knowledge, but still not a mythical figure.

Ozymandias
05-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Happy Birthday Ozy.

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

A beautiful poem, even if that wasn't the immediate source of your nom de plume. Oh, and for the record Daekyras, Ramses (aka Ozymandias) might be in that grey area of limited actual knowledge, but still not a mythical figure.

Thank you all, and yes, the poem was my inspiration.

I was an Assyriology major as an undergrad... which isn't quite Egyptology, but I love the poem and ancient history is close enough for me that I did not quibble.

And because I love talking history, Ramesses II is very much a historical figure and one of the better attested figures of antiquity.

Daekyras
05-19-2015, 05:27 AM
And because I love talking history, Ramesses II is very much a historical figure and one of the better attested figures of antiquity.

I knew Ozymandias was Rameses but I always thought he was the "Legend". By that I mean that was the name the Greeks gave him and that a lot of the feats attributed to him were made up.

I am not in any way arguing that point as my knowledge of that area is very limited. I just thought that was the case.

Davian93
05-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Thank you all, and yes, the poem was my inspiration.

I was an Assyriology major as an undergrad... which isn't quite Egyptology, but I love the poem and ancient history is close enough for me that I did not quibble.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/2e/2e78445fd15f1b6512bce21a57817954a608bcfc66d131e850 41d19c7ffb4129.jpg

Ozymandias
05-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Haha well in true Bridge of Death fashion, my answer is "Capital of Assyria in which Kingdom?"

Davian93
05-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Haha well in true Bridge of Death fashion, my answer is "Capital of Assyria in which Kingdom?"

LOL...yeah, its a bit of a trick question of course. Weren't there something like 4 different capitals that could theoretically be the right answer?

Zombie Sammael
05-20-2015, 01:01 AM
LOL...yeah, its a bit of a trick question of course. Weren't there something like 4 different capitals that could theoretically be the right answer?

*Dav is cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril*

Happy Birthday, King of Kings!

Daekyras
05-20-2015, 04:19 AM
*Dav is cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril*

Happy Birthday, King of Kings!

Ozy is triple H??

Ozymandias
05-20-2015, 03:04 PM

At least. Assur is probably the best answer, given the etymology and longevity, but Kalhu (now gone, thanks ISIS!!), Nineveh, Dur-Sharrukin and even Harran are all technically correct. Nineveh is the best known.