PDA

View Full Version : Yks, Why Do You Hate Seals?

Davian93
05-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Offshore Wind Turbine Construction Could Be Placing Seals Hearing At Risk (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150519210202.htm)

Seriously, what's up with the seal hate?!?

GonzoTheGreat
05-20-2015, 08:30 AM
That's only in the UK. I'm sure the Dutch seals are very different.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-20-2015, 09:32 AM
They can't prove that because the seals swim away as soon as they hear any noise :p

They tried to prove it in a controlled environment - in a pool - but all the test subjects escaped before they got really damaged, so. you know. seals aren't stupid.

Davian93
05-20-2015, 09:38 AM
They can't prove that because the seals swim away as soon as they hear any noise :p

They tried to prove it in a controlled environment - in a pool - but all the test subjects escaped before they got really damaged, so. you know. seals aren't stupid.

Now you admit to experimentation on these poor seals too?!?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

Nazbaque
05-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Now you admit to experimentation on these poor seals too?!?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

Poor seals? Poor? Seals are nothing but fish thiefs! They sabotage nets and steal from honest fishermen! They are the terrorists of the sea! They are animals! Animals, I tell you!

Frenzy
05-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Seals are puppy mermaids, according to Frenzy Jr.

Isabel
05-20-2015, 11:11 AM
LOL, like you can blame yks for any thing that happens with windmills;)

Davian93
05-20-2015, 01:57 PM
LOL, like you can blame yks for any thing that happens with windmills;)

She's the one always tilting at them...though how she gets a horse to run across the North Sea is beyond me.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2015, 02:14 AM
oh that's awesome!
She's the one always tilting at them...though how she gets a horse to run across the North Sea is beyond me.
it's a sea horse.
:p

We actually had an environmental activist say - and I kid you not - that we disturb the seal population by creating an artificial feeding ground for them.

DahLliA
05-21-2015, 02:37 AM
Just gonna leave this here.

http://canitbesaturdaynow.com/images/fpics/1417/1245546287234.jpg

Terez
05-21-2015, 02:54 AM
Is that some kind of Norwegian seal?

Daekyras
05-21-2015, 08:43 AM

Allowing your child moments of whimsy? true soccer mom move....

Khoram
05-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Just gonna leave this here.

http://canitbesaturdaynow.com/images/fpics/1417/1245546287234.jpg

Mmmmm. I would love a clubbed pup sandwich. *drool*

Davian93
05-21-2015, 10:09 AM
I'd say clubbing baby seals is wrong and awful but I eat lamb and veal with no qualms so that would make me a bit of a hypocrite.

Khoram
05-21-2015, 10:12 AM
I'd say clubbing baby seals is wrong and awful but I eat lamb and veal with no qualms so that would make me a bit of a hypocrite.

Stahp it, Dav. You're making me hungry. :(

Davian93
05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Stahp it, Dav. You're making me hungry. :(

best thing ever is a ground lamb burger with guacamole and swiss cheese. For whatever reason, those flavors just go together perfectly.

Khoram
05-21-2015, 10:25 AM
best thing ever is a ground lamb burger with guacamole and swiss cheese. For whatever reason, those flavors just go together perfectly.

What you need is a goat cheese-stuffed lamb burger. With chives.

Davian93
05-21-2015, 10:32 AM
What you need is a goat cheese-stuffed lamb burger. With chives.

that sounds good...the goat cheese probably cuts down the gameiness of the lamb. The guacamole does the same thing with lamb. I had it in Belgium (of all places) for the first time and I was stunned. I was thinking "I never would have put guacamole and swiss on lamb but here we are...brilliant!" It was at some gourmet burger chain in Brugge (Ellis Burger I believe it was called).

Davian93
05-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Another good burger (hey, its grilling season), is of course grass-fed beef (pretty much the only beef I'll eat anymore as I dont eat a lot of red meat and definitely dont eat mass produced red meat) with a quail egg and cheddar. The quail egg really adds something to the flavor of the beef.

Now that I dont eat (well, its been a good while now) mass-farmed meat, I dont eat nearly as much given that locally produced chicken breast goes for $15 a pound instead of $5 a pound, etc. I get food share chickens for roughly $5 a lb for the whole bird from my farm share so figure on average $20-25 a bird. That cuts down on the meat budget to say the least...which is better healthwise anyway so its win-win.

Things like lamb, veal, beef are rare special occasions anymore.

Khoram
05-21-2015, 10:45 AM
that sounds good...the goat cheese probably cuts down the gameiness of the lamb. The guacamole does the same thing with lamb. I had it in Belgium (of all places) for the first time and I was stunned. I was thinking "I never would have put guacamole and swiss on lamb but here we are...brilliant!" It was at some gourmet burger chain in Brugge (Ellis Burger I believe it was called).

Belgian guacamole. Maybe they make it so that it pairs well with their beer?

I'm heading to France and Italy (leaving the 13th of June) for a couple of weeks, and I'm really looking forward to all the fantastic wine and food I'm gonna have. :D

Davian93
05-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Belgian guacamole. Maybe they make it so that it pairs well with their beer?

I'm heading to France and Italy (leaving the 13th of June) for a couple of weeks, and I'm really looking forward to all the fantastic wine and food I'm gonna have. :D

Where in France are you going? I had a phenomenal time in Provence last year. Well, Paris was nice too obviously but Provence is pretty much heaven on earth.

The owner of the burger place had lived in the US for a good bit of time so the guacamole was really good as were the other "american" flavors. He basically made them American style but with good ingredients and actual pride in the flavor combinations. Really good and the fries were as good as any we had in Belgium...I chatted with him for 5-10 min since the place was new and he was there for the opening few weeks when we were there. Apparently, he's up to 10 different locations in Belgium now or something. Really good burgers...huge surprise after 3 weeks of eating nothing but French and Belgian foods while in Europe.

Khoram
05-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Where in France are you going? I had a phenomenal time in Provence last year. Well, Paris was nice too obviously but Provence is pretty much heaven on earth.

The owner of the burger place had lived in the US for a good bit of time so the guacamole was really good as were the other "american" flavors. He basically made them American style but with good ingredients and actual pride in the flavor combinations. Really good and the fries were as good as any we had in Belgium...I chatted with him for 5-10 min since the place was new and he was there for the opening few weeks when we were there. Apparently, he's up to 10 different locations in Belgium now or something. Really good burgers...huge surprise after 3 weeks of eating nothing but French and Belgian foods while in Europe.

I'll be in Provence, actually. Staying an hour outside of Marseilles, and heading all over - probably going on a few wine tours, maybe going to the Brangelina estate for their wine (which is actually quite good), staying in Nice. I'm really looking forward to it. Then we'll head off to Monacco, and then Genoa; maybe Turin. Any places you recommend in Provence?

Davian93
05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
I'll be in Provence, actually. Staying an hour outside of Marseilles, and heading all over - probably going on a few wine tours, maybe going to the Brangelina estate for their wine (which is actually quite good), staying in Nice. I'm really looking forward to it. Then we'll head off to Monacco, and then Genoa; maybe Turin. Any places you recommend in Provence?

I really liked St. Remy de Provence (Van Gogh's stomping grounds) for a small town feel and some nice art. There are several wineries around it too. The Abbey de Senanque is kinda a neat quick stop. Its a pretty nice scenery type place (huge fields of lavender and whatnot). Its north of Gordes which is also a fun little village.

We stayed in Arles and we really liked it. Big enough town that it had all the amenities and small enough that you could walk everywhere. Good food (a given in Provence) too. Going to Pont du Gard is well worth it if you like history at all and its just a really cool place to visit.

I had some of Brangelina's wine at a restaurant in St. Remy and it was good...all the wine there is good especially if you like Roses. If you dont like Rose wines, you will after being in Provence.

Other things to make sure to do...be up early and go to the Market on Market day (typically a big one on Saturday in every town and they vary on which other day of the week it is otherwise. I think it was Tues or Thurs in Aix-en-Provence, it was Wed in Arles (the same day as the Bull Games...they dont kill them, just grab ribbons off their horns...very interesting to watch). I want to say Friday for Avignon but I'm not sure. It all blurs together.

The bridge in Avignon is interesting albeit a bit expensive to go on. Its one of those "if you have time" things that might or might not be worth doing. The Palace de Papes was supposedly overrated...we didn't bother as we had already done enough museums and whatnot in Paris so we were there to eat, drink wine and explore.

But going to the Market on market day is a must. Its everything awesome about Provence jammed up together. Just going into little villages and finding the co-op tasting room for the local wineries is also great. Wines you will never ever get in North America or even outside of 50 miles away from Provence.

Its funny because you're staying on the far side of the province from where I did so its tough to make any recommendations. Avignon is probably a 2 hr drive for you from Nice...Pont du Gard is another 30 min away from that.

Its hard to go wrong in Provence though...you will utterly love it.

Khoram
05-21-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm really looking forward to the trip. Especially the food and wine. Having already been to France (Paris and Taizé), I'm really looking forward to the small-town feel of everything in Provence. My mom adores it, having been there a couple of times already, particularly the lavender.

Davian93
05-21-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm really looking forward to the trip. Especially the food and wine. Having already been to France (Paris and Taizé), I'm really looking forward to the small-town feel of everything in Provence. My mom adores it, having been there a couple of times already, particularly the lavender.

If I won the lottery today, I'd move to Provence tomorrow and live there the rest of my life.

Davian93
05-21-2015, 01:53 PM
For the best small-town feel, a day trip through the Luberon or the Cotes-de-Rhone is almost a must. Just small villages, fields of grapes, lavender and sunflowers and that classic Provencial landscape. Lots of wineries too.

Another fun site is the Chateau des Baux. Its a hilltop castle (huge site) with an attached hilltop town (which isn't as fun...mostly a gauntlet of tourist shops but still worth a quick walkthrough). Its near St. Remy though so far away for you.

There's another cool ruined castle that's much closer to you...I cant remember the name of it but I have it at home. Its literally a complete ruin..you pay the caretaker like 5 Euro and you can just hike/roam the ruins. Its pretty cool though and a deathtrap if you're not careful. When I get home tonight, I'll look it up and add a post about it. Its got this really cool staircase that's cut into the limestone cliff that would never be open to the public in a million years in the US. We had the place completely to ourselves when we were there.

Khoram
05-21-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm just getting more and more excited for this. XD

Davian93
05-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Okay, found it. It's called Fort de Buoux. Its just outside of Buoux, France.

Here is a link with more info: http://www.beyond.fr/sites/buouxfort.html

Totally worth the effort and its right in the heart of the Luberon anyway if you take a trip over there which you absolutely have to do.

Here's a blog post about it too with more photos:

http://slowtraveltours.com/blog/fort-de-buoux/

The day we did it, we also hit the Abbey de Senanque and Gordes on the way back from the castle and ended up in Avignon that evening for dinner and to see the St. Benezet bridge (and sing the song of course...we ended up in a song circle with a French family there on holiday all walking in a circle singing Sur le pont d'Avignon and then all the way home to our townhouse in Arles. It was a long, long day but utterly awesome.

Like seriously, Provence is amazing. You will utterly love it.

Frenzy
05-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Allowing your child moments of whimsy? true soccer mom move....

Soccer mom, eh? Here are some other nuggets of wisdom from my precious little snowflake:

"It's girls night, Mom. Get your mask and your horns."

"Mommy! My mommy! There are many others, but this one is mine!"

"Look, the dogs are laying down in an L shape. They're L hounds!"

"All mummies are girls. Boy mummies are called zombies. Zombies don't have brains. That's why they want yours."

"Why do you need to aim? It's a machine gun."

Zombie Sammael
05-22-2015, 11:14 PM
"All mummies are girls. Boy mummies are called zombies. Zombies don't have brains. That's why they want yours!"

I resent these slurs against my people!

GonzoTheGreat
05-23-2015, 03:37 AM
I resent these slurs against my people!
You can resent all you want, but you, a boy, are just another data point showing the validity of the assessment.