PDA

View Full Version : we're on fire

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Blaze and explosions at Southgate site (http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/drama-rocks-city-centre/article-346925-detail/article.html)

Fire drama rocks city centre

Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 17:07

A major fire incident today rocked the centre of Bath.

Flames were seen shooting 50 ft into the air and a series of explosions were heard at the SouthGate development site.

Dark plumes of smoke soared into sky as a gas alert paralysed the heart of the city.

Emergency services cordoned off the centre of Bath, and the railway station was closed.

The fire began on the roof of block B of the 360 million site, which will house stores such as H&M.
Click here!

Contractors have been guiding members of the public away from the development site.

Nearby premises such as McDonald's have been evacuated and staff weer seen running out of the Halifax branch nearby.

A fleet of fire engines was sent to the scene and teams of police were also there.

Initial reports suggested no one had been hurt in the incident, but the Great Western Ambulance Service helicopter landed at the temporary bus station in Avon Street just before 5.30pm.

http://southgate.ipl.com/current.jpg

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
and I was about 200 meters away when it happened..
now, half an hour later I can still see the smoke coming up, much darker now..

ShadowbaneX
09-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Stop, drop and roll!

Or is this the Royal 'we'? I didn't know you were part of the monarchy Anaiya...or is that your Highness?

Anyway, my brief failure at levity aside, I hope you're safe.

ShadowbaneX
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
200 m? (that's about 600 ft for our yankee brethern). That's a little too close for comfort. Are they evacuating you?

GonzoTheGreat
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
McDonald's evacuated? That's terrible, that is.

The staff running out of the Halifax building could of course just be a matter of credit crunch trouble; that need not be fire related.

Cary Sedai
Yikes! How far are you from there now?

Anaiya Sedai
I have been evacuated. I was in town getting my eyes checked when I heard the first explosions.
they told everyone to get out and go home or somewhere away, pleaseandthankyouverymuch.

I'm sure it looks much more dramatic than it actually is, but people are all standing on the hill taking photos..

and the sirens are still going, too.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Fun! Stay safe, Ana!

irerancincpkc
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, do stay safe!

Brita
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Exciting! Keep us posted...And as everyone says- stay safe!!

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 04:32 PM
the article updated, and has some pictures now..
I went to pick up some food about an hour ago, but it was too dark for me to see if there's still smoke.
it was certainly the most interesting thing that has happened here for ages..
I wonder if it's going to have any effect on the building progress - they have been working on that shopping centre for quite a long time, and invested a lot of money into it.