PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Corruption

Davian93
05-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Fetch me my fainting couch...apparently FIFA is corrupt

FIFA Corruption Charges (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/27/with-fifa-probe-us-expands-global-anti-corruption-efforts.html)

Next they'll try and tell us that the IOC is also corrupt.

Or the US will be rewarded the Qatar World Cup games AND the 2024 Summer Olympic games and this will all go away.

Isabel
05-29-2015, 11:04 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:D

Nothing to add than it's not so surprising ;)

Davian93
05-29-2015, 11:10 AM
On a side note, I will say it was quite fun watching World Cup matches last summer in Europe...we saw several while there including the Germany shellacking of Brazil in the Semi-finals on our final night in Belgium and the France/Nigeria match and France/Germany match while we were still in France. Both times, the city we were in basically shut down and everyone watched everywhere. Quite fun really.

Nazbaque
05-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Anything is possible in a sport where all leg injuries heal immediatly when the ref waves the magic red card at the opposing team. Coaches, managers and owners who let players do that aren't above taking bribes or giving them. Anyone who has to organise a bunch like that eventually either loses to temptation or becomes too disgusted to deal with it and quits opening the job to someone else who faces the same dilemma. Eventually all important positions are taken by people whose only interest is in making money off the whole thing.

GonzoTheGreat
05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Why isn't this in the Game of Thrones thread?

Kimon
05-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Or the US will be rewarded the Qatar World Cup games AND the 2024 Summer Olympic games and this will all go away.

A quick look at the wikipedia page for the 2024 Olympics gives the strong impression that the selection of any city other than Paris would be really dodgy. Boston and Rome would both be decent runners-up, but Rome has hosted more recently than Paris, and no offense, Boston is a great city, but it's not Paris. Moreover, Paris hasn't had the Olympics since 1924. Not picking it for what would be the centennial would be stupid. As corrupt as the IOC is, their site selections don't seem anywhere near as sketchy as the recent World Cups. When you are creating a trend of Brazil, Russia, then Qatar, you're not even trying to create a sense of credibility. Looking at the possible sites of non-rejected 2024 Olympic bids, I'm thinking that FIFA would ask itself only two questions, what's the crappiest possible choice, and will that same choice bribe us the most. I'm thinking FIFA would choose either Doha or Nairobi. As bad as the IOC is, at least they are following up the questionable selection of Rio for 2016 with a great city in 2020 - Tokyo.

Edit:

Maybe I should have looked at Winter Olympic bids too. 2022 is laughable. Beijing or Kazakhstan? Are there even mountains within a thousand miles of Beijing? And Kazakhstan? How was that not rejected out of hand?

Ivhon
05-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Well, Blatt was just re-elected and he promised that FIFA would do a better job policing itself.

So everything is ok.

The Unreasoner
05-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Am I the only one that feels like we are only doing this to suck up to the rest of the world? I mean, why is America taking on FIFA? Did both American soccer fans lobby their respective representatives?

Terez
05-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Partly it's because they got their informant on tax evasion and one thing led to another. Partly it's probably because we were passed over for hosting a future World Cup.

The Unreasoner
05-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Partly it's probably because we were passed over for hosting a future World Cup.
That's why I rub lamb's blood on my door. The Olympics are horrible enough to have to host: expensive, congested, and a logistical nightmare. And Americans actually (slightly) care about that. Hosting the World Cup would be far worse.

And Boston has suffered enough.

Kimon
05-29-2015, 07:37 PM
That's why I rub lamb's blood on my door. The Olympics are horrible enough to have to host: expensive, congested, and a logistical nightmare. And Americans actually (slightly) care about that. Hosting the World Cup would be far worse.

Hosting for the World Cup is spread throughout the country, not just in one city. There were 9 sites in '94, the last (only?) time America hosted it. One of those was in Detroit (well Pontiac). I vaguely recall going to a match at the Silverdome that year. Hosting didn't seem to cause any logistical problems that I can recall back in '94 at least in the Detroit suburbs. Hosting the World Cup also allows for the use of purely existing facilities (football stadia), so nothing new needs to be built, or mothballed after, as is the case with the Olympics.

Davian93
05-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Am I the only one that feels like we are only doing this to suck up to the rest of the world? I mean, why is America taking on FIFA? Did both American soccer fans lobby their respective representatives?

Soccer is incredibly popular in the United States...just not as commercially successful. That latter part is mainly because our MLS is basically a minor league with no real star power and a slower game. We simply can't compete with the EPL or Bundesliga, etc right now. Still, that doesn't mean that the MLS teams aren't hauling in the revenue and selling out. They are. We've got an entire generation of kids that are grown up now who played soccer instead of baseball or football. We've also got a huge immigrant population from Latin America that LOVES soccer above anything else. The World Cup ratings were above the NBA Finals, World Series and NHL Finals for reference. Sure, its nowhere close to American Football for popularity but then nothing else is either.

Davian93
05-29-2015, 08:52 PM

All the hard parts of hosting are taken care of. We already have dozens of appropriate stadiums and infrastructure in place...mainly because we're not a 3rd world shithole like Qatar or even Brazil to a lesser degree. Its not like those billion dollar football stadiums are used in the summer anyway so they'd be prime spots for WC matches. The World Cup in the US would be massively successful...just like it was in 1994 when we hosted.

If I were Boston, I wouldn't want the Olympics either. Its always an utter clusterfuck of epic proportions.

GonzoTheGreat
05-30-2015, 03:31 AM
Are there even mountains within a thousand miles of Beijing?
Sort of (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Mountains). More or less (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taihang_Mountains).

Of course, if you go just a bit further (much of that can be done with the Chinese high speed trains) you can reach the Himalayas. If the speed skating is done at 5,000 meters above sea level, then the skaters can't complain about air resistance.

Nazbaque
05-30-2015, 03:54 AM
Sort of (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Mountains). More or less (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taihang_Mountains).

Of course, if you go just a bit further (much of that can be done with the Chinese high speed trains) you can reach the Himalayas. If the speed skating is done at 5,000 meters above sea level, then the skaters can't complain about air resistance.

But they will need oxygen tanks to do the race and it will take ages to decide what kind they will have to use and the losers are then bound to complain about how the preruling training was done with different tanks, how the standard tanks are easier on a different body type and of course malfunctions.

GonzoTheGreat
05-30-2015, 05:28 AM
But they will need oxygen tanks to do the race and it will take ages to decide what kind they will have to use and the losers are then bound to complain about how the preruling training was done with different tanks, how the standard tanks are easier on a different body type and of course malfunctions.
All of which will make skating exiting again. What's the downside, or isn't there one?

Nazbaque
05-30-2015, 08:57 AM
All of which will make skating exiting again. What's the downside, or isn't there one?

It's part of the master plan. Make all sport unexciting (spelled with a "c" btw, it means something else when you leave that letter out) and people stop wasting money on it.

ShadowbaneX
05-30-2015, 09:15 AM
The Women's World Cup is about to happen in Canada and yeah, it's spread all over the Country.

Countries like Canada & the US are find with this sort of thing, but as Dav said, countries like Brazil and Qatar, that don't have the infrastructure, have to build it...which means there's billions to be made if you are in the construction business.

As for the half dozen or so that were actually arrested, as Terez commented, they nailed one guy on tax evasion and he rolled on the others, all of whom are part of the the North American part of FIFA or CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football). The guy in particular that was nailed had the nickname of Mr. 10%. He earned this nickname because if any event was run under his purview he, well, got 10%.

Also, there's this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/11583406/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-TV-crew-arrested-and-has-equipment-destroyed-for-filming-documentary-about-event.html). It was mentioned one afternoon on a sports talk radio show and one of the hosts mentioned he thought it would be some pretty big news in the following days...I haven't heard anything about it...which might lead back into the fact that Canada is hosting the Women's World Cup starting in a week or two.

Daekyras
05-30-2015, 10:56 AM
The Women's World Cup is about to happen in Canada and yeah, it's spread all over the Country.

Countries like Canada & the US are find with this sort of thing, but as Dav said, countries like Brazil and Qatar, that don't have the infrastructure, have to build it...which means there's billions to be made if you are in the construction business.

As for the half dozen or so that were actually arrested, as Terez commented, they nailed one guy on tax evasion and he rolled on the others, all of whom are part of the the North American part of FIFA or CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football). The guy in particular that was nailed had the nickname of Mr. 10%. He earned this nickname because if any event was run under his purview he, well, got 10%.

Also, there's this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/11583406/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-TV-crew-arrested-and-has-equipment-destroyed-for-filming-documentary-about-event.html). It was mentioned one afternoon on a sports talk radio show and one of the hosts mentioned he thought it would be some pretty big news in the following days...I haven't heard anything about it...which might lead back into the fact that Canada is hosting the Women's World Cup starting in a week or two.

the problem with the Brazil world cup was that it was too expensive with the country.

Qatar doesn't have that problem. They do, however, have the problem that the world cup is held during the summer and in Qatar the summer results of temperatures in excess of 50 degrees. (Proper degrees, not your silly farenheit!).

Fifa's response to these worries- we will play world cup in the winter. When almost every Magor league in the world is still in season. This was and remains to be a ridiculous scandal. And yet fifa are unrepentant. To make matters worse there aren't even grounds for the football in Qatar yet they somehow put in, and these are Fifa's own words, "the most compelling and comprehensive bid they have ever seen".
The day it was announced there was universal condemnation of the decision and allegations of corruption. These allegations were met with "you must be racist against the middle east".

Funnily enough, three of the arrested parties on Wednesday were involved in that bidding process. Yet no change from fifa.

ShadowbaneX
05-30-2015, 11:01 AM
a) I know
b) My what? I'm sorry, where do you think I live again?

Daekyras
05-30-2015, 11:21 AM
a) I know
b) My what? I'm sorry, where do you think I live again?

I wasn't calling you out SBX! I know you are in Canada. I was explaining for people who don't know about that particular scandal. Sorry if you felt like I was suggesting you didn't. :)

ShadowbaneX
05-30-2015, 07:28 PM
I wasn't calling you out SBX! I know you are in Canada. I was explaining for people who don't know about that particular scandal. Sorry if you felt like I was suggesting you didn't. :)
You seemed to be directly responding to me but if it was in general I suppose you can be forgiven. ;)

Kimon
06-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Apparently John Oliver is going to have to drink some Bud Light Lime...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2015/jun/02/fifa-calls-press-conference-amid-latest-corruption-claims-live

Isabel
06-02-2015, 02:29 PM
So what happened? Do you think he expects to be charged soon?

Davian93
06-02-2015, 02:36 PM
They've connected the dots all the way up to his second-in-command...only a matter of time before someone rolls on him.

Terez
06-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I think Kimon has the right of it; the sponsors put pressure on him, and that might well have been in response to John Oliver's plea on Sunday night.

Davian93
06-04-2015, 01:36 PM
I think Kimon has the right of it; the sponsors put pressure on him, and that might well have been in response to John Oliver's plea on Sunday night.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/fifa-official-jack-warner-implicate-sepp-blatter-article-1.2246027

Looks like it might have been a bit more than just corporate pressure (which certainly didn't help him any).

Rand al'Fain
06-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Well, Putin isn't happy about this, and the leader of Qatar is claiming racism against all of the accusations about Qatar essentially using slave labor.

Davian93
06-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Well, Putin isn't happy about this, and the leader of Qatar is claiming racism against all of the accusations about Qatar essentially using slave labor.

Well, to be fair, they are using slave labor so...

Rand al'Fain
06-04-2015, 10:11 PM

I know, but that's what they "counter" with when accused of it.

GonzoTheGreat
06-05-2015, 04:42 AM
Which just shows that "the truth shall set you free" is mostly wishful thinking, at least for the slaves.

Nazbaque
06-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Which just shows that "the truth shall set you free" is mostly wishful thinking, at least for the slaves.

Well seeing as the train of thought goes: lies = bad and slavery = bad => truth = good and freedom = good => truth = freedom, the wishful is certainly there but the quality of thinking is so low that it might as well be non-existant.