PDA

View Full Version : Craft beers

Daekyras
06-06-2015, 08:42 PM
So anyway, been out for some beers.

quick question- a while ago I remember some posters talking about their craft beer interests. Anyone up for a chat about them?

I had a couple of bottles of what is considered the finest beer in the world in many circles-westvleteren xii- and I, for the second time was disappointed by it.

Any recommendations? I don't drink often- quite the fitness fan- but when I do I like to make it memorable. Would like to try some quality. Stouts are my favourite type (duh, irish) but am fond of a pale ale or a lager.

GonzoTheGreat
06-07-2015, 03:16 AM
Any recommendations? I don't drink often- quite the fitness fan- but when I do I like to make it memorable. Would like to try some quality.
Those may be contradictory conditions. Often it is the lack of quality which makes a drink truly memorable.

Mort
06-07-2015, 10:48 AM
My favs are some Pale ales as well. American and Indian. But it's nice having a few solid lagers as well in the summer.

A great summer beer is weisse beer, usually pretty low key but can have this citrus tone to it which is really refreshing.

Ozymandias
06-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Any recommendations? I don't drink often- quite the fitness fan- but when I do I like to make it memorable. Would like to try some quality. Stouts are my favourite type (duh, irish) but am fond of a pale ale or a lager.

Depends what kind of beer you like. I am huge IPA fan (which does nothing for my fitness level, sadly), and I can recommend a whole bunch of great beers in that line. Ballast Point Sculpin is great, and they make a grapefruit flavored one which has none of the cloyingness you expect from flavored beer and is really refreshing. 21st Amendment's Bitter American is a great Session IPA. I recently found Elysian's Space Dust IPA in stock at a whole foods so I've been drinking a lot of that as well.

It really depends on where you live. If in NYC or Vermont or California (really the whole northeast) its very easy to get great, freshly bottled (or relatively so) craft beer. Or in Colorado/Utah.

Davian93
06-07-2015, 06:08 PM
I had this really good craft beer when I was in Ireland so you might have heard of it. It was called "Guinness" I think? Does that ring a bell? They had this tiny little brewery in Dublin which was pretty neat.

Seriously though, VT is pretty much a craft beer mecca (more breweries per capita than anywhere in the USA). There are a good half dozen micro-brewers within 15 min of my house. Some are really good, some are pretty awful and sadly most of them focus on IPAs as that's what is popular right now. Me, I get sick of IPAs at some point and "double" IPAs are way too bitter for me. I prefer lagers and weisse beer (much like Mort's comment above) personally.

A good stout in the winter is preferred though.

Also, not quite "craft beers" but the "craft hard cider" movement is taking off (Hey, I liked hard cider before it was cool dammit!). If you can get it, Citizen Cider (http://www.citizencider.com) out of Burlington VT is phenomenal. They started off a few years back out of a guy's basement and they've already moved twice into bigger and bigger production facilities as they are a massive success. I had their flagship cider when that was all they made and all you could do was buy growlers of it from them at farmers markets. Just fantastic. Basically, they're at the same spot that Magic Hat was at 20 years ago and they will soon be available much further out than just northern Vermont. There are a few other copycat hard cider places around here and they are all solid.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-08-2015, 01:57 AM
I had to google what qualifies as "craft beer" and apparently the definition is fluid (ha! punny!) which makes recommendations tricksy.

Personally, I enjoy the Belgian "double" beers, La Trappe is good, but Grimbergen is better.

Ozymandias
06-08-2015, 07:31 AM
I had this really good craft beer when I was in Ireland so you might have heard of it. It was called "Guinness" I think? Does that ring a bell? They had this tiny little brewery in Dublin which was pretty neat.

Seriously though, VT is pretty much a craft beer mecca (more breweries per capita than anywhere in the USA). There are a good half dozen micro-brewers within 15 min of my house. Some are really good, some are pretty awful and sadly most of them focus on IPAs as that's what is popular right now. Me, I get sick of IPAs at some point and "double" IPAs are way too bitter for me. I prefer lagers and weisse beer (much like Mort's comment above) personally.

A good stout in the winter is preferred though.

Also, not quite "craft beers" but the "craft hard cider" movement is taking off (Hey, I liked hard cider before it was cool dammit!). If you can get it, Citizen Cider (http://www.citizencider.com) out of Burlington VT is phenomenal. They started off a few years back out of a guy's basement and they've already moved twice into bigger and bigger production facilities as they are a massive success. I had their flagship cider when that was all they made and all you could do was buy growlers of it from them at farmers markets. Just fantastic. Basically, they're at the same spot that Magic Hat was at 20 years ago and they will soon be available much further out than just northern Vermont. There are a few other copycat hard cider places around here and they are all solid.

Have you ever managed to get ahold of a Heady Topper? Supposed to be the best IPA in the world. I don't think its sold outside VT

Davian93
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Yup...they're based in Waterbury so they're maybe 30 min away from me. Had it a bunch of times...its one of the few IPAs I really like. They serve it on tap at a bunch of restaurants I go to regularly. You can buy it by the case at a couple specialty beer places up here too...including the one that I used to live right across the street from in Winooski, VT when I lived there. I don't know if you can even get it outside of northern or central VT let alone outside the state.

It's bitter but not supper bitter. You can really taste the hops but its not overwhelmingly bitter if that makes sense.

Edit: They used to have this awesome brewpub in Waterbury that we'd go to fairly regularly but the flooding from Irene utterly destroyed that and most of downtown Waterbury as they were right on the Winooski River. There's a BBQ place there now called Prohibition Pig that is okay (put it this way, we describe it as saying "their beer selection is really good" which is a nice way of saying the food isn't. Their current brewery location used to be open to the public but they closed it last year (I think) because the neighbors complained about the traffic in and out of their location which is fairly rural/suburban, not commercial. They could have fought it but they decided to be good neighbors over fighting their friends/neighbors (Hey, its Vermont).

GonzoTheGreat
06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Buncha commies!