PDA

View Full Version : I See You, Theoryland!

Yellowbeard
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Just saying hi...been a long time WoT fan...sometimes lurk WoT sites...looking forward to when AMoL finally comes out.

Terez
09-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow, influx of noobs! Welcome to Theoryland, Yellowbeard. Come out every now and then from your lurking and post. :)

irerancincpkc
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Welcome to Theoryland, Yellowbeard! :D

Sarevok
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Welcome to TL, Yellowbeard. :D

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Welcome YB!!

You may call me Naz!

The marshmallows will be roasting as soon as we get a fire going.

*Holds up the Torch*

Cary Sedai
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Theoryland, Yellowbeard!

~sprinkles YB with fairy dust~

~takes the torch from Naz, grins delightedly, torches him~

~roasts mass amounts of marshmellows and hands them out~

Yellowbeard
09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Well then I'll take care of it myself I guess (goes to fridge and gets beer).

What's up with the self-immolation guy?:eek:

DahLliA
09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Well then I'll take care of it myself I guess (goes to fridge and gets beer).

What's up with the self-immolation guy?:eek:

they're slacking again >_>

*rolls in the house sized keg*

never fear, the beer's here

*chugs a mug*

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
*sets naz on fire*
yay, three in a row!

*roasts sausages and passes them around*

Welcome Yellowbeard!
the "self immolation guy" is our great lord of the flame, and also our barbeque :D feel free to roast whatever you feel like.
I am sure someone will be here shortly and point you in the right direction of the straightjackets.

*pours some mead and sits on the ESC*

lurk
09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
woohoo another fire

~does happy dance~

and hello yellowbeard, don't worry, he does this all the time, and we do like him :)

Cary Sedai
09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
*sets naz on fire*
yay, three in a row!

~clears throat, points at her post~

~takes the torch from Naz, grins delightedly, torches him~

~blows rasberry at Anaiya, sprinkles her with fairy dust~

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
damn. well, I got my own huge fire today :P neener!

*still enjoys the fairy dust*

Brita
09-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Campfire Song!!

Yellowbeard, up high in banana tree

Yellowbeard, you sit all alone like me

ladee ladee da- I forget the rest of the words

You more lucky than me

Welcome Yellowbeard!

I tried yellow, but it didn't show up...

~~blows gently on naz- stoking the flames~~

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmmm? Blowing to get me hot? Why didn't I think of that? Seems to be working rather well. Remember to take long breaths every now and then.

Brita
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Any good Northern girl knows how to stoke the flames ;)

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
And the bad girls?

RogueSavior
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
They make you stoke the flames yourself, Naz. They're backwards in the great white north!

Shock Lance
09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi Yellowbeard

Welcome to our corner of the wheel.
Sorry about the lack of Beer i was moving cities and haven't been near a computer in a few days, but DahL came through for us anyway (nice one D).

~grabs a stein and sits down on the ESC~

Cary Sedai
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
So good to see you, Gaidin!

~perches on shocks shoulder, drinks some mead~

Birgitte
09-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Welcome to the Insanity, YB! Straight jackets are to the left, crooked jackets to the right (or possibly the other way around...)

ROFL, Brita

Zaela Sedai
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland YB! (YAY *MORE* NOOBS!) As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: We don't all agree about the issues regarding the military action in Iraq. Post about this issue at your own risk. Things seem to be under control now. Though, there have been some flare-ups….be careful. We have had our own TLers over there, back home safe and sound, hope it stays that way. (I can't wait to be able to delete this Addendum.)

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 4 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. Feel free, however, to respond to Gonzo, our Resident Troll, we love him like a red-headed step child.

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~looks around~ our biggest offender has not been around for a while ~sniff~

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. :D Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you. ;) We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once.

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!

Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

P.S.: Be good…don’t make me take out my chains, I am the Lady of them for a reason! ;) stupid no evil smilie

KEEP READING IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU ;)
Here's some stuff you'd be much better off knowing BEFORE you post :cool:

Hierarchy

Heroes of the Horn

Have been here longer than most, and some of them have been around since the dawn of time. You don't have to worship at their feet (well you can worship at Frenzy's, if you must), but a little respect goes a long way.

Ancients

The next group down from HotH. Also tend to be prolific posters, although some Ancients suffer from a mysterious disease. It sometimes happens that once an Ancient is raised, they disappear for a while, or forever. It really can be a blessing in disguise.

Elders

The next group up from Younglings. More knowledgeable than Younglings, not necessarily less knowledgable than Ancients. They have been here long enough to know better about most things. I repeat, MOST things

Younglings

By far the biggest bunch at Theoryland. Just means that you are recently signed up, not that you're young and/or immature. You might have to prove that, though. But you can edit your own posts! Yippee! Umm yeah...enjoy that.

So, how do you move up the Ranks?

Well, posting madly and racking up a huge post count, begging for Reputation Scores won't get you anywhere. It's not even just about hanging around for a set amount of time.

Here's how you DO move up: participate thoughtfully and politely so that when Tamyrlin decides the time has come for a Raising, you're seen as an asset to the community. Or whenever he gets around to it.

When the feeling strikes him, Tamyrlin, The Lord Of The Board aka LotB, or Fearless Leader or Lordy, (but only I may get away with that one), confers with the Heroes of the Horn and Ancients and selects those to be raised to a higher level. It is an entirely manual and subjective process that stresses "quality" over "quantity." The amount of time since you gained your current rank plays a role, as do post counts, to a lesser extent. Thoughtful, intelligent and polite posting is by far the biggest factor.

Other important information...

The ESC does not stand for Escape. Instead it stands for the Entropy Sideline Club It has a big comfy couch, capable of fitting all TL members at once if they choose to sit there. Made of fire-proof, balefire-proof, and belafire-proof hope to God you aren't in the room if this occurs fabric. Comes with all sorts of built in coolers stuffed full of yummy snacks and drinks; for some reason, Mountain Dew seems to be a favourite around here and lots of places to just sit back and enjoy the reason you're sitting there. Basically if you hang out on the ESC Couch, you are observing the debates taking place: Iraq, religion, government, Santa Claus (you name it, we argue over it) and laughing at the people who are debating, and/or the debate itself. The ESC is not full of fence-sitters, rather we are ambivalent or way too smart to jump in. Or lazy. Most times, it's lazy. The ESC Couch (ESC Head Quarters) is located somewhere fun...lots of room for partying whenever the mood strikes us. We have recently debuted the WTF Couch...for those "Special" moments. Moments that induce the sharpening of the not-so-elusive poking stick. Poking posters with sticks is exclusively limited to Ancients and Heroes. We do, however, take requests.

The TCA. Theoryland Chataholics Anonymous. This group is comprised mostly of the younger set of TL members. not that there's anything wrong with that I have been assured they do more than sit in corners and stare at their navels. although I've yet to see evidence of that ~sarcasm~ They have a lot of fun, and most of it involves cookies. They are somewhat defunct right now, as we have no chat, alas! Don't worry, they'll be back with a vengeance as soon as chat is up and running here. Lordy says, soon. ~shifty eyes~

Quotemasters, AKA Masters/Mistresses of the Quote:
If you sign up for a Premium membership to the site, you get the ability to search the database for quotes to back up your theories, or the theories of those you like. It also gives you the ability to slam dunk the theories of others with a really well-placed quote. A Premium membership only costs $15 for a year and $50 for a lifetime membership. Just do it, you know you want to! But, a warning. Being in possession of a TL Premium membership does not a Quotemaster make. You must apprentice and train under the Quotemasters. Of which there are two and three quarters. Jason Wolfbrother, Callandor retired for now, Terez and the Quote Mistress, although she seems to be in semi-retirement: Me. You'll see me throw one in every now and again! Frenzy was the Dark Mother of us all she may occasionally find some time when her biological children are occupied and throw in a quote or two ;) Downside? You only get 100 quote searches a month, and a true quotemaster is invariably without quote searches towards the end, so they get cranky. Withdrawal does that, didn't ya know?

OK, I'm done. Hope for YOUR sake you read all that!:cool:

Anaiya Sedai
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
is it just me or does zae's introduction post keep getting longer?

Yellowbeard
09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Is it also stocked with stout Two Rivers Brandy and Tabac?? I like that stuff. Some oosquai would be good too.

Anaiya Sedai
09-24-2008, 04:28 PM
whatever you want :D

*pours some oosquai and passes it around*

Birgitte
09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Don't question the ESC's cooler. It might go away if you look to hard at it. (like fairy housekeepers)

Cary Sedai
09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Fairies don't clean! (unless absolutely necessary...) I think you mean house-elves. :D

Zaela Sedai
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
No, Ana thats been the greet since we came to the new board...not my fault there have been no noobs to test it out on.

Nazbaque
09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
No it's Tam's fault.

Yellowbeard
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
all that fairy dust made me sneeze...

now back to doing my part to float the keg...

Anaiya Sedai
09-25-2008, 01:00 PM
hehe, if YB is allergic to fairy dust, I get more :D

*refills the FD bong* :D:D:D

Cary Sedai
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
~sprinkles Anaiya with more fairy dust~ :D

YB, it's hypo-allergenic. Promise! :p

Anaiya Sedai
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
it's what she always says... but don't listen to the fairy!

(it's mine, all mine :D:D:D:D:D)

Yellowbeard
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Hmm...wouldn't it be easier to scrap FD into lines and snort it rather than try to burn it??

And don't worry Annie...I'll leave the FD to you. You can even come snort or lick the FD that she sprinkled on me off if you wish...;)

Anaiya Sedai
09-25-2008, 02:13 PM
I think I've tried everything with FD ...

....and the licking is only for special occasions :D

Yellowbeard
09-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Try mixing it in brownies yet?

Cary Sedai
09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Fairy Dust is not drugs! :(

No abusing fairy dust. It just promotes a nice warm fuzzy happy feeling. (Unless I'm angry, and throw it...that's different)

~sprinkles fairy dust on herself~

Anaiya Sedai
09-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Try mixing it in brownies yet?

*nods*

and what are drugs, than something to make you feel warm and fuzzy? :D

Cary Sedai
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
*nods*

and what are drugs, than something to make you feel warm and fuzzy? :D

~sigh~

:p

Yellowbeard
09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
I am in no means encouraging the abuse of FD in any way, shape or form!! Consuming excess FD can be hazardous to your health!!

***ahh-chooo***

made me sneeze when you dusted again cary.:eek:

Cary Sedai
09-25-2008, 03:39 PM
You remind me of someone I know, YB :D

Birgitte
09-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey! I want Fairy Dust!

And I'm sorry, Cary. It was a reference to Harry Dresden's faerie house-cleaners in The Dresden Files.

Cary Sedai
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
I'll have to check that out, B. Not sure I'll like it if Fairies clean house though :p

~sprinkles B with fairy dust~

Anything else, my queen?

Birgitte
09-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Cary... I'll think you'll like Harry. Though you're definitely one of the Summer Queens, rather than one of those faeries bribed with pizza and silence to clean house.

~thinks happy thoughts and flies around the room~ "I can fly, I can fly, I can fly, I can fly, I can flyyyyy!"

Brita
09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
You can even come snort or lick the FD that she sprinkled on me off if you wish...;)

Heheh- smooth :cool:

Yellowbeard
09-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Heheh- smooth

well...still got that FD coating me...it's been on me a while now. might not be able to lick it off now...but you can give me a sponge bath to get it off it you want.:D

Brita
09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
well...still got that FD coating me...it's been on me a while now. might not be able to lick it off now...but you can give me a sponge bath to get it off it you want.:D

Ah! You really have been lurking :) Playing on my professional sympathies are you? I confess it has been quite a while since I have performed a sponge bath, I guess I could use some practice.

I need a few details to prepare:
Do you wear attends?
Do you need any trimming? If yes, where?
Do you have any communicable diseases I should know about?

~~starts rummaging~~ Where did I put that razor?

Yellowbeard
09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Do you wear attends?

Not usually. I've been on extended caving trips where we were in the cave for 8+ hours. W/ no johns in the cave...those things can come in handy if you don't want to leave a potential extra-slipperty and nasty spot for someone else!!

Do you need any trimming? If yes, where?

Ordinarily I'd say no...but that FD has gotten into all sorts of spots and has hair all tangled and matted...

Do you have any communicable diseases I should know about?

Not that I'm aware of...unless FD causes diseases when it gets all nasty and caked on...

Do you have healthy, long nails?

Brita
09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Do you have healthy, long nails?

Actually, yes I do! One of my many stunning assets. I must have drank a lot of milk as a child...

Caving trips- sounds fascinating! I am getting an imaginary picture of you now- bearded, athletic, earthy... mmmm, my favourite ;)

Yellowbeard
09-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, I don't really have a beard. Haven't shaved in 2 days though...it's kind of stubbly right now. I got the name "Yellowbeard" from the old pirate movie of the same name. Hilarious flick.

Am going hiking tomorrow...gonna do 8 miles and a canyon bottom. Just cleaned my camelpak bladder to make sure it's ready for action this morning...

I like long nails...;)

Brita
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I don't really have a beard. Haven't shaved in 2 days though...it's kind of stubbly right now. I got the name "Yellowbeard" from the old pirate movie of the same name. Hilarious flick.
That's OK- if there was one dispensable attribute it was the beard. Athletic and earthy...mmmmm

Am going hiking tomorrow...gonna do 8 miles and a canyon bottom. Just cleaned my camelpak bladder to make sure it's ready for action this morning...
Davian is an avid hiker as well. I am a water lover myself- canoeing and shore camping mostly.

I like long nails...;)
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/5.gif

Terez
09-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Pianists don't have long nails, alas...

Yellowbeard
09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of piano's either...

Terez
09-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't like you already.

Davian93
09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Belated Welcome to Theoryland, Yellowbeard.

Enjoy the Insanity.

John Snow
09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the Insanity, YB! Straight jackets are to the left, crooked jackets to the right (or possibly the other way around...)

It's not 'straight' jackets, it's strait jackets, as in narrow. *grumble, grumble* try to get the kids educated, what happens.

John Snow
09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
That's OK- if there was one dispensable attribute it was the beard.

Beards are great - dignified, distinguished, even professorial. I personally am very attached to a beard.

John Snow
09-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Welcome to Theoryland, Yellow Beard - you can usually find me on the non-WoT board, keeping the rest of this group honest. And generally being grouchy.

Yellowbeard
09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't like you already.

i guess i'm doing something right then...??? ;)

It's not 'straight' jackets, it's strait jackets, as in narrow. *grumble, grumble* try to get the kids educated, what happens.

snicker...i wasn't gonna say anything...but glad someone else did.

Beards are great - dignified, distinguished, even professorial. I personally am very attached to a beard.

if i tried to grow one...it would look very scraggly. i have a few bald patches on my cheeks for some reason...

you can usually find me on the non-WoT board, keeping the rest of this group honest. And generally being grouchy.

that sounds like a tough job to appoint for yourself.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, he IS an Olde Pharte. It's part of the job description.

Welcome to TL!

Birgitte
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry I'm not familiar enough with mental hospital restraints for your, Professor. I shall endeavor to get committed, so I can learn all the spellings. ;)

And YB, there's this handy little button that looks like a dialogue bubble (like in a comic strip) that lets you quote things. Or at least use some quotation marks if you're going to complain about my spelling.

Yellowbeard
10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
And YB, there's this handy little button that looks like a dialogue bubble (like in a comic strip) that lets you quote things. Or at least use some quotation marks if you're going to complain about my spelling.

yeah...but i didn't quote you actually.

Birgitte
10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
lol.. I know you didn't quote me. It doesn't matter who you were quoting. My point was that if you're going to complain about my spelling, you could at least use correct punctuation.

Anaiya Sedai
10-04-2008, 03:05 AM
ooooooooh

*ducks behind the ESC*

*passes around some more mead and gets the popcorn ready*

Yellowbeard
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
lol.. I know you didn't quote me. It doesn't matter who you were quoting. My point was that if you're going to complain about my spelling, you could at least use correct punctuation.

lol...i don't think i actually complained about your spelling either...more along the lines of incorrect grammatical use of said word.

come to think of it...i didn't complain about that either...i just commented on another's complaint about it....;-P

Birgitte
10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeesh. Now you're just arguing semantics. You're clearly going to fit right in. :D

Point still being that I'm entertained by being corrected on my grammar by someone who has so far chosen to ignore grammar in his posting style. Not that I have a problem with it. I just honestly didn't know which spelling of straight went with the jackets that make you hug yourself. I'm easily amused, not offended or anything. :lol (I miss my laughing smiley from ezboard. :()

tworiverswoman
10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
And do not forget, she can kill you with her brain, so watch out!

B is a natural born editor. You'll find a number of us on the boards, I'm happy/sorry to say.

If you haven't got a beard, then why the name Yellowbeard? I know you said "from the movie" but that's not much of an explanation. Are you just a Marty Feldman fan or something? (Gotta love Young Frankenstein...)

Ishara -- I do believe Brita is working at stealing your title of Theoryland Flirt... you need to step up to the plate!

Brita
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Ishara -- I do believe Brita is working at stealing your title of Theoryland Flirt... you need to step up to the plate!

lol! I am Theoryland Minx- and there is more than enough room for two insatiable flirts. Although I have to agree Ishara needs to live up to her title a little more...;)

Now just imagine the two of us out on the town in Nov- Toronto won't know what hit them :)

Yellowbeard
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Point still being that I'm entertained by being corrected on my grammar by someone who has so far chosen to ignore grammar in his posting style. Not that I have a problem with it. I just honestly didn't know which spelling of straight went with the jackets that make you hug yourself. I'm easily amused, not offended or anything. :lol (I miss my laughing smiley from ezboard.

what's wrong w/ my grammar, other than i usually type on message boards in all lower case? just too lazy to push the shift key most of the time...

and yeah...the selection of smileys sucks.

And do not forget, she can kill you with her brain, so watch out!

brain powers only affect other brains...and mine's usually protected by fog induced by xanax and scotch...

If you haven't got a beard, then why the name Yellowbeard? I know you said "from the movie" but that's not much of an explanation. Are you just a Marty Feldman fan or something? (Gotta love Young Frankenstein...)

more like graham chapman...and eric idle. i figured if i used "the supreme being" (a la Time Bandits) that i would seem a bit big-headed.

but the name really was just inspired by yellowbeard as played by graham chapman in the movie. nothing complicated.

Birgitte
10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I was referring to the excessive use of ellipses, actually. But the lack of capital letters is also a problem from a grammatical standpoint. Still, you're understandable, so it doesn't matter to me, really. I just really get into irony (in the common definition, not the strict one). :)

And don't worry, Tru. I'm wearing my tinfoil hat for the sake of humanity today. ;)

Yellowbeard
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I was referring to the excessive use of ellipses, actually. But the lack of capital letters is also a problem from a grammatical standpoint. Still, you're understandable, so it doesn't matter to me, really. I just really get into irony (in the common definition, not the strict one).

ellipses...huh? (i dunno what you're talking about with that one...these are called parentheses)

GonzoTheGreat
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Ellipses are, IIRC, dots. Whaddayaknow, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis) agrees with me.
So, your "ellipses...huh" is made up of two words, separated by an ellipsis.
And you do use them, now and then, it seems.

Terez
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I use them a lot. They're great for letting people know I'm easily distracted. :D

Yellowbeard
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Ellipses are, IIRC, dots. Whaddayaknow, Wikipedia agrees with me.
So, your "ellipses...huh" is made up of two words, separated by an ellipsis.
And you do use them, now and then, it seems.

you apparently missed the intended sarcasm...;)

tworiverswoman
10-08-2008, 02:38 AM
No one has yet managed to agree on the font to use for sarcasm, alas. I lean toward Comic Sans, for what I think are obvious reasons.

B ... what is wrong with ellipses? I'm sure you've noticed that I use them a lot ... or haven't you? They're ... fun. Or something. Or is there a short circuit in my ... brain?

... Help?

Yellowbeard
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
there's arguments over fonts to use to indicate sarcasm? that's a bit anal retentive.

Birgitte
10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I didn't know there were either. But Comic Sans is for comic books. Ban Comic Sans! (http://bancomicsans.com/home.html)

I don't actually care. I just really find that website amusing.

Terez
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't get the "sans" part. Doesn't that mean "without"?

Sarevok
10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
It's short for sans-serif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans-serif).

Gilshalos Sedai
10-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Which means "without Serif."

Who Serif is, I couldn't tell you.

Sarevok
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Hmpf... Now I see why people want that winking smiley.

I really can't tell if you're joking, or didn't notice the link I put in my post. :s

Terez
10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
We have a winking smiley. ;)

Cary Sedai
10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Comic Sans is one of my favorite fonts!

along with Lucida Sans Unicode

and Tahoma

Verdana's not bad either...so there!

(notice the obviously inserted ellipse) :p ;) :D

Gilshalos Sedai
10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Yes, Sare. I was joking. I know what a serif is.

Sarevok
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I feel I should point out here that we now have a real chatroom to invite you to. It's located at the top of the message boards. Come and join us there sometime. :)

Brita
10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
heh heh- thanks Sare! ;)