PDA

View Full Version : True detective season 2

Daekyras
06-22-2015, 03:35 AM
Anybody watch this?

It seems much less focused then the first season. It was well acted (vice Vaughan being the exception) but just seemed to be a little too obvious.

Three cops- all with their own personal demons. kinda heavy handed.

GonzoTheGreat
06-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Three cops- all with their own personal demons. kinda heavy handed.
Buffy usually had a higher demon to cop ratio.

connabard
06-22-2015, 11:02 AM
I haven't watched the first episode yet, but I didn't feel that the first season was all that... subtle. Just wonderfully paced, executed, and acted.

I am surprised to hear (granted you are only one person) that Vince was the exception to the great acting, I thought it'd be Collin Farrell. But we'll see when I watch it tonight.

I am still very excited for this season because last season was one of the best shows I've ever watched, up there with things like Fargo, Hannibal, etc.

Kimon
06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
It was a vast disappointment compared to the first episode of the first season. I thought Vince Vaughn was fine, and for a gentleman mobster, by far the most likable of the characters so far, especially at least compared to the dirtbag cop, Colin Farrell. The story just took far too long to develop, with too many different arcs emerging immediately, and with really awful writing. The cinematography also felt odd. It just felt like garbage directing and writing, but with a collection of big name actors - well Vaughn and McAdams anyway, Farrell is a talentless hack, and his character in this drama seems so much like his actual schmuck persona, that likely no actual acting was needed for him. Hopefully it gets better, and I'll give it a few more episodes (well, at least one more), but so far, very unimpressed. Hopefully season 2 of the Leftovers is better. I will say one thing in its defense however, it was nowhere near as bad as The Brink.

Daekyras
06-22-2015, 05:43 PM
It was a vast disappointment compared to the first episode of the first season. I thought Vince Vaughn was fine, and for a gentleman mobster, by far the most likable of the characters so far, especially at least compared to the dirtbag cop, Colin Farrell. The story just took far too long to develop, with too many different arcs emerging immediately, and with really awful writing. The cinematography also felt odd. It just felt like garbage directing and writing, but with a collection of big name actors - well Vaughn and McAdams anyway, Farrell is a talentless hack, and his character in this drama seems so much like his actual schmuck persona, that likely no actual acting was needed for him. Hopefully it gets better, and I'll give it a few more episodes (well, at least one more), but so far, very unimpressed. Hopefully season 2 of the Leftovers is better. I will say one thing in its defense however, it was nowhere near as bad as The Brink.

What nationality is Vaughan in this series? Because at different times he sounds everything from Russian to mid American.
I did not care for his performance at all.

Farrell is not a great actor. He had potential after his excellent turn in minority report but squandered it. He is fine in this however. His character is a low life scumbag and he plays it as a lowlife scumbag.

This season just seems like it's trying too hard to be too much. The beauty of the first season was its simplicity. One major story with several red herrings. This already feels bloated. It also feels like it is two convoluted. Let's take the massive coincidences in just the first episode: sisters, fathers, hand over eviction notice- person missing a family member, family member connected to the aforementioned father, cop goes suicidal and happens upon a body-THE body. It's just too much.

Kimon
06-22-2015, 07:00 PM
What nationality is Vaughan in this series? Because at different times he sounds everything from Russian to mid American.
I did not care for his performance at all.

His accent consistently sounded like standard midwestern US (which is essentially standard American) to me. Not sure if the other mobsters were supposed to be Russians or Ukrainians, but his character definitely seemed like he was supposed to be just a California "businessman".

It felt to me like the show was trying too hard to emulate David Lynch, and did a really shoddy job of it.

Terez
06-22-2015, 07:18 PM
I just read an article on Vox and now I have "This is my least favorite life" stuck in my head.

Daekyras
06-23-2015, 04:52 AM
His accent consistently sounded like standard midwestern US (which is essentially standard American) to me. Not sure if the other mobsters were supposed to be Russians or Ukrainians, but his character definitely seemed like he was supposed to be just a California "businessman".

It felt to me like the show was trying too hard to emulate David Lynch, and did a really shoddy job of it.

is there a difference? - Vladimir Putin, 2014.

I watched the first episode again last night- there are definitely two instsances where VV slips in eastern european tones to his voice.

Terez
06-29-2015, 06:35 AM
Ep 2 was better. And people can stop bitching about Colin Farrell now. (Whoever he is. I'd never heard of him before.)

Also, we have Brianna Barksdale from The Wire.

Terez
06-29-2015, 09:50 AM
My loony theory: Frank's wife is a transgender woman and the real rapist. I thought that the first time she appeared because she was the first red-haired person we saw after it became clear that the red-headed boy was not Velcoro's son. I didn't notice until I rewatched the scene that Frank says "Behold what was once a man." Supplementary theory: she had her gender reassignment surgeries at the weird treatment clinic in ep 2.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:02 AM
(Whoever he is. I'd never heard of him before.)

You've never heard of Colin Farrell?

He's only Ireland's favourite son!

He is actually a good actor but lets the "high Drinking fast living" lifestyle get in the way.

If you have the time/ inclination watch the following film:

In Bruges.

It stars farrell, Voldemort, mad eye Moody and "not Peter Dinklage" and is one of the funnier dark comedies around.

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:15 AM
You've never heard of Colin Farrell?

He's only Ireland's favourite son!
I thought that was Aidan Gillen.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:41 AM
My loony theory: Frank's wife is a transgender woman and the real rapist. I thought that the first time she appeared because she was the first red-haired person we saw after it became clear that the red-headed boy was not Velcoro's son. I didn't notice until I rewatched the scene that Frank says "Behold what was once a man." Supplementary theory: she had her gender reassignment surgeries at the weird treatment clinic in ep 2.

I actually like that theory.

although we do have the ginger lad who beat up the guy in front of Frank.

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:47 AM
And also one of Frank's suited employees.

Terez
06-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Expanding on this theory, which is starting to seem less loony to me (especially considering how far out TV writers are sometimes willing to go to avoid people figuring out whodunnit).

Frank mentioned in vitro in ep 1 because he wants to have kids. He reiterated that in the opening scene of ep 2 when he was in bed talking to his wife; he doesn't know what to do with money if he doesn't have any kids to leave it to.

Ray questioned how Frank could know what his wife's description of the killer was. But the dude was brown-haired and not likely to be the actual rapist. My guess is that Ray's wife gave him a vague description that might prevent him from actually going after the guy: medium height and build, brown hair and eyes. Could be almost any dude. Ray mentioned this to someone at the police department, or the mayor. Word gets to Frank, and they set Ray up to put a hit on some guy they had a problem with and at the same time they entrap him in their criminal web.

I think Frank's wife is part of a long scheme to bilk Frank of Vinci earnings. The trans wife has something going on with the mayor's crazy son, who is the raven dude.

Daekyras
06-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Expanding on this theory, which is starting to seem less loony to me (especially considering how far out TV writers are sometimes willing to go to avoid people figuring out whodunnit).

Frank mentioned in vitro in ep 1 because he wants to have kids. He reiterated that in the opening scene of ep 2 when he was in bed talking to his wife; he doesn't know what to do with money if he doesn't have any kids to leave it to.

Ray questioned how Frank could know what his wife's description of the killer was. But the dude was brown-haired and not likely to be the actual rapist. My guess is that Ray's wife gave him a vague description that might prevent him from actually going after the guy: medium height and build, brown hair and eyes. Could be almost any dude. Ray mentioned this to someone at the police department, or the mayor. Word gets to Frank, and they set Ray up to put a hit on some guy they had a problem with and at the same time they entrap him in their criminal web.

I think Frank's wife is part of a long scheme to bilk Frank of Vinci earnings. The trans wife has something going on with the mayor's crazy son, who is the raven dude.

Any chance that the end of episode two wasn't as obvious as it looked? I'm trying to avoid anything too spoilerific! I was hoping for more of journey or arc for certain characters..

Terez
06-30-2015, 03:13 PM
I think it's over for him. His arc almost demanded it.

Daekyras
06-30-2015, 05:54 PM
I think it's over for him. His arc almost demanded it.

Shame as he was the best thing in it.

It also kinda weakens your theory. Not the logistics as they make perfect sense but the fact that if he is no longer around then there is no big impact to the reveal. Who would be affected??

Anyone else think that the psychiatrist had personal Knowledge of Rachel macadam character when she was younger?

Kimon
06-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Any chance that the end of episode two wasn't as obvious as it looked? I'm trying to avoid anything too spoilerific! I was hoping for more of journey or arc for certain characters..

They did say "shot" rather than "killed" in the preview, but yeah, the combination of shots certainly left the strong impression that he was toast. I will agree that the second episode was a lot better. The cinematography seemed much less choppy and amateurish, and watching Farrell get killed off (presumably) so quickly is an obvious plus.

In Bruges was a decent movie, but more due to the collection of talented actors around Farrell - especially Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. Everything else Farrell has done has been, like himself, sh*t.

Terez
07-01-2015, 01:00 AM
Shame as he was the best thing in it.

It also kinda weakens your theory. Not the logistics as they make perfect sense but the fact that if he is no longer around then there is no big impact to the reveal. Who would be affected??
Frank, Ray's ex, the kid, etc.

Terez
07-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Just read this Vox article, which claims that Colin Farrell appeared in scenes in the trailers that haven't happened on screen yet.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/1/8879635/true-detective-is-colin-farrell-velcoro-dead

There is one in this trailer, a brief scene in an airport with a dude in a cowboy hat coming up the escalator. Not even sure if that's him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uxGbhO4ag

There's another one here that I think we haven't seen yet, at 0:39:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ

If he's not dead---lame.

Terez
07-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Is anyone still watching this?

So yeah, lame fake-out was lame. I feel like not much happened in this episode. The most exciting thing to happen was CHP dude meeting up with his old gay buddy. And "I don't talk about the desert" takes on a whole new meaning.

Frank and wife have gone further with the IVF thing. I think my loony theory still lives, but it's hanging on by a thread now... ;) A possible strengthening factor is Frank talking about how his doctor said there was nothing wrong with him, or whatever. But you'd think that in order to actually set up a thing with the clinic they went to, the wife would have had to put up her eggs already? If I actually knew how this worked I could make a better judgement about the theory. Of course, it's also possible she knows someone at that clinic who is helping her keep up the fašade.

Daekyras
07-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Is anyone still watching this?

So yeah, lame fake-out was lame. I feel like not much happened in this episode. The most exciting thing to happen was CHP dude meeting up with his old gay buddy. And "I don't talk about the desert" takes on a whole new meaning.

Frank and wife have gone further with the IVF thing. I think my loony theory still lives, but it's hanging on by a thread now... ;) A possible strengthening factor is Frank talking about how his doctor said there was nothing wrong with him, or whatever. But you'd think that in order to actually set up a thing with the clinic they went to, the wife would have had to put up her eggs already? If I actually knew how this worked I could make a better judgement about the theory. Of course, it's also possible she knows someone at that clinic who is helping her keep up the fašade.

Urgh. Just watched it. Annoyed. I'd come round to thinking killing him off was a good idea.

Episode was good though.

Edit: one thing though- It felt strange to see that many uses of the word "c#nt" in a us show.

Mort
07-11-2015, 06:18 PM
I liked ep 3. All characters grows on me bit by bit. Would have been cool if they offed Colin in ep 2 but it would have been unlikely they would invest in a big name actor like Colin and off him right off the bat. This isn't GoT that has to do it because the books says so :)

I liked Colins, or Velocoros, reason for not drinking alcohol. He wanted to stay mad. lol

Terez
07-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Yup, my loony theory is looking better and better.

PS: Spoke too soon. The old boyfriend is a complication...

That shootout at the end was a disaster, to say the least.

Daekyras
07-13-2015, 06:12 AM
Yup, my loony theory is looking better and better.

PS: Spoke too soon. The old boyfriend is a complication...

That shootout at the end was a disaster, to say the least.

I'm about half way through the episode. I must say that three things have jumped out at me so far:

1. I have drank a lot in my time. A lot. Never have I drank so much I completely blank on what happened the night before. I hate that trope and wish they would stop doing it.

2. Dialogue is getting worse. "They stare right back at you...those memories...you don't remember them" slow turn head "they remember you". Buuuuuuullllllssshhhiiiiiitttt!!

3. Is taylor kitch's story set in the fifties? I had a gay experience- I must get married to cover it up. Also, my semi - casual girlfriend is pregnant. Awesome!!!

And as I type this:

4. Bezzarides dad knows everybody. Come on. Coincidence can only be stretched so far....

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 04:16 AM
Has everyone else stopped watching?

Ep 5 was good. I like the jump in time. I knew it was coming but really expected it to be longer than 66 days.

T's theory is still good and I must admit that every time she comes on screen I do think of her as a closet trans sexual.

I really hate the taylor kitsch storyline. It feels so out of place. His mother shouting at him about how "I know. I know about your "friends"". Urgh.

Daekyras
08-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Did anyone else watch to the end?

Mort
08-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Yup.

All in all it was pretty good, I thought. It wouldn't and couldn't be like season 1 though. Whatever you think of the season itself. I think it's really refreshing with standalone seasons.