PDA

View Full Version : A little morbid to win an award for this...

Sarevok
09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Dutch Crime Reporter Wins Emmy Award (http://poligazette.com/2008/09/23/dutch-crime-reporter-wins-emmy-award/)
Dutch crime reporter Peter R. De Vries won an Emmy Award for the best current affairs program, Monday evening. He received the award in New York.

De Vries won the award because of his extensive coverage of the Natalee Holloway case. Holloway’s mother, Beth, accompanied De Vries to the awards show. Together they received it and dedicated it to the lost, and presumed dead, Natalee.

Holloway disappeared on the Caribbean island of Aruba in 2005. Police immediately suspected Dutchman Jorian van der Sloot, and arrested him twice, but let him go each time due to lack of evidence.

Aruban investigors now say they will complete the case before the end of the year.

Although Van Der Sloot always publicly denied any involvement - he had seen the girl during the night of her disappearance, he said, but he did not know what happened to her after he and his friends left - Peter R. de Vries caught him on tape admitting to being involved in her death. He told Patrick van der Eem, who was secretly working for De Vries, that Natalee was drunk and, in the end died. Her death, Van der Sloot argued, was an accident, but she was indeed (accidentally perhaps) killed by him and his friends.

Van der Sloot was arrested again after the show aired, but was released due to lack of evidence; Van der Sloot said he did not tell Van der Eem the truth, police did not have anything more to work with and that was that.

Most people believe that Van der Sloot did indeed kill Holloway. The only question on most people’s mind is whether he will be held responsible for his crime(s) or not.

De Vries, meanwhile, was thrilled with his victory. “This only happens once during your life,” he said. “I’d happily trade this prize for all the others I won during my career.”

Cary Sedai
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Not sure how to feel about that... I mean good for him, I suppose, even thought his work didn't "catch" the bad guy.

I'm not sure I'd want and award for that.