PDA

View Full Version : EU and refugees

yks 6nnetu hing
06-26-2015, 02:08 AM
Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/26/europe-migrants-idUSL8N0ZC01Q20150626)

So, for those of you that don't know, the EU Southern countries, particularly Italy and Greece have been flooded with refugees, mostly from Syria and Eritrea, for months now. The numbers are a bit unclear, mostly because they keep coming, but the estimate is somewhere around 60 000. There was a proposition form the European Committee to distribute the refugees in all European countries based on some quota, which would be mandatory for all members to uphold. Last night, after fierce debates (which apparently made Cameron's whining about UK possibly leaving EU seem lighthearted in comparison), it was decided that the refugees would be spread across Europe but on a voluntary basis. Which realistically means that there will be a whole bunch left over that no country will be willing to receive.

The most strenuous objections came from Eastern European countries, although I think most of the countries had a problem with their allotted quota. Now, seeing as most of EU is in the Schengen union (meaning, no passport checks when crossing borders), eventually it wouldn't matter where the refugees were originally "allotted", they'd eventually move to wherever they wanted, I guess.

Looking at the news from Estonian media, I'm struck by three thoughts:
1) I was right! the moment you start receiving "new immigrants", the old ones start looking more and more friendly. Not that the Estonian/Russian tensions suddenly disappear, but you know - better the devil you know.
2) It's hypocritical to say "no, we can't help. but you need to help us later anyways". Particularly looking at the situation in Ukraine, if (even more) shit hits the fan, then the Eastern European countries will be flooded with refugees, and they're going to want to spread them westward.
3) aside from the humanitarian aspect of "yes, we should help refugees", I don't have any sympathy for Italy or Greece. Particularly Italy. They've been screwing the system for decades and now they want help? And if they don't get voluntary help, they (=Italy) threaten to just let the refugees loose at their border. Greece I can understand, they really don't have any money to deal with the problem, and THAT is only partly Greece's own fault. But Italy? bastards won't even agree to unify mobile roaming fees for fuck's sake.

Terez
06-26-2015, 02:15 AM
I don't have any sympathy for Italy or Greece. Particularly Italy. They've been screwing the system for decades and now they want help? And if they don't get voluntary help, they (=Italy) threaten to just let the refugees loose at their border. Greece I can understand, they really don't have any money to deal with the problem, and THAT is only partly Greece's own fault. But Italy? bastards won't even agree to unify mobile roaming fees for fuck's sake.
Now I have a compulsion to share this with my friend Alfonso. He just moved to the UK, so he might agree with you.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Yes, yes we do.

GonzoTheGreat
06-26-2015, 03:51 AM
1) I was right! the moment you start receiving "new immigrants", the old ones start looking more and more friendly. Not that the Estonian/Russian tensions suddenly disappear, but you know - better the devil you know.Usually, at least. I'm reminded of an interview I read a couple of years ago with some Muslim refugees who lived in Northern Ireland. They had actually been benefiting from the Troubles, because it meant that everyone was friendly to them. If they met a Protestant they were asked "are you Catholic" and when honestly saying no, they were considered "good folk". When they met a Catholic, upon declaring that they weren't Protestants everything was all right. But then someone made peace, and now the outsiders are facing a lot more discrimination.

2) It's hypocritical to say "no, we can't help. but you need to help us later anyways".
Humans being hypocritical. What will they think of next!

DahLliA
06-26-2015, 06:37 AM
Don't worry. Us Norwegians are buying ourselves a clean conscience by taking 8000 of them.

Even though we have no jobs for them, no place for them to live, an "integration"-system that is a joke and 5000 already waiting in in line.

Sweden will probably take the rest if you ask them nicely since they seem adamant on riding the PC-train straight to hell.

Daekyras
06-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Come to Ireland. All refugees welcome.

Davian93
06-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Doesn't Ireland already have major unemployment issues and what not?

GonzoTheGreat
06-26-2015, 07:25 AM
On the upside, if there are enough non-European foreigners, that will probably deter England from once again invading.
Maybe Ukraine should import a bunch of refugees too.

Daekyras
06-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Yes. Yes we do.

Our government put all their eggs in the construction market because that could never go bad. No-one could have forseen the collapse. 100% unavoidable.:rolleyes:

As for refugees- Ireland has spread it's people to every corner of the globe. It would be churlish to turn down the lowest and poorest of people. There is a moral imperative to help these people who have fled war torn countries.

However, if they break laws- deportation.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Maybe Ukraine should import a bunch of refugees too.

it would work best if they were all gay.

Isabel
06-26-2015, 11:09 AM

I am sure we can arrange that:p

Daekyras
06-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Is Estonia not fab-uh-lous enough??