PDA

View Full Version : Putin now looking to see if the Baltic States are "legal"

Rand al'Fain
06-30-2015, 09:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/russia-reviewing-legality-baltic-states-independence-214030861.html

Really Putin? Is he just trying to be that kind of asshole, or what?

Kimon
06-30-2015, 09:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/russia-reviewing-legality-baltic-states-independence-214030861.html

He may be trying to bait Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania into doing something stupid that would give him an excuse to "intervene" to protect Russians living in those countries. Or he could just be bored and curious how the West would respond. Needless to say, this type of situation is why all three of those countries quickly joined NATO.

Davian93
07-01-2015, 07:06 AM
We should station a couple of armor divisions and some F-22s in the Baltic States.

And NATO should up their damn defense budgets so we're not carrying water for the entire alliance as usual.

I'd put some B-2s in Germany too...and let it be known they've got nukes onsite. Just like the good old days.

GonzoTheGreat
07-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Couldn't we acknowledge the Mongol Empire from the time of Kublai Khan?
That'd solve the Putin problem and the ISIS mess together.

Rand al'Fain
07-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Couldn't we acknowledge the Mongol Empire from the time of Kublai Khan?
That'd solve the Putin problem and the ISIS mess together.

Except the Mongols had the tendency to split up their territories amongst their sons. And within a couple generations, the Mongol Empire wasn't really an empire. It was numerous little Khanates that had very little actual power. They kind of took themselves out of power at that point.

Plus, I don't think an all cavalry force would work so well anymore.

Daekyras
07-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Except the Mongols had the tendency to split up their territories amongst their sons. And within a couple generations, the Mongol Empire wasn't really an empire. It was numerous little Khanates that had very little actual power. They kind of took themselves out of power at that point.

Plus, I don't think an all cavalry force would work so well anymore.

Do Americans still refer to tank divisions as the cavalry?

They wouldn't be super effective on their own either but I am wondering...

Nazbaque
07-01-2015, 06:35 PM

I believe helicopters are the "aerial cavalry" these days.

Rand al'Fain
07-01-2015, 06:43 PM

No, they're referred to as "armored divisions". I'm not sure if we have even used cavalry since the Spanish-American War (Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders as an example).

Daekyras
07-01-2015, 06:57 PM
:eek:No, they're referred to as "armored divisions". I'm not sure if we have even used cavalry since the Spanish-American War (Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders as an example).

I know they don't use horses for anything more than ceremony anymore (or for their rather excellent equestrian team) but I am almost certain that the armoured core contain the cavalry units.

They might even still have dragoon divisions. I know the British army still do.

Davian93
07-01-2015, 07:46 PM

We still have a couple Cav Regiments that are armored Cav....a combo of tanks and armored personnel carriers. And, of course, there's the 1st Cav Division which is basically just an Armor division that uses that name because of historical reasons.

The whole lighter force thing has turned it into more Stryker Brigades though with the Stryker Infantry Fighting Vehicle.

Air Cav is a totally different thing.

In general, our army is based around the Brigade Combat Team which is basically a jumped up Brigade sized unit designed to operate independently (IE it has its own support units, artillery, air recon, signals, intel, etc...far more beefed up than say a Infantry Brigade under the old Divisional org model would have been as many of those things would have only existed at the division level). We don't use Regiments, Divisions or Corps (or higher) for anything other than lineage and theater level type organization. A BCT operates by itself like a mini Division for all intents and purposes.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-02-2015, 04:36 AM

lol, that's reported as "news"? Russia's been doing these sorts of... er... initiatives on a half-yearly basis for the last 20 years. Indeed, this is exactly the reason why the Baltics joined NATO as soon as possible.

In other news, this (http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/estonia-protests-russian-air-violation-32053091) is something they do on a monthly/weekly basis.

Ozymandias
07-02-2015, 09:01 AM
And within a couple generations, the Mongol Empire wasn't really an empire. It was numerous little Khanates that had very little actual power. They kind of took themselves out of power at that point.

This is just.... wrong. Most of the khanates lasted a century or more.

GonzoTheGreat
07-02-2015, 09:31 AM
In some places, a generation can be more than a decade, you know.

Kimon
07-02-2015, 09:56 AM
This is just.... wrong. Most of the khanates lasted a century or more.

Is he? Genghis died in 1227. His Central Asian empire was expanded slightly by Ogedei, and massively by Mongke and Kublai. Kublai dies in 1294, and his empire fractures. The Yuan Dynasty in China lasts a hundred years, but just a few generations until they were driven from power by the Ming in 1368. The Golden Horde lasted longer, but it was in collapse by the beginning of the 15th Century and was gone by the end of that century. The Ilkhanate in Persia lasted less than a century, gone by 1335. The Chagatai, due to its location in the middle of bloody nowhere lasted the longest, but it was a splinter of various khanates that remained so long only due to its presence in an undesirable hinterland. So, after the fracturing, two powerful components - Yuan and Golden Horde, neither of which lasted long, and two nothing states, one of which was a brief blip in history, the other of which was longer lived, but barely a footnote in history.

Daekyras
07-02-2015, 09:58 AM
In some places, a generation can be more than a decade, you know.

Standard "generation" is 20 years? It's funny I think I am part of generation X and y. I'm just a little old to be a millenial.

Dav and yourself would be bang on millenial doorstep though.

Terez
07-02-2015, 10:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JtFlXOt.png

yks 6nnetu hing
07-03-2015, 01:48 AM
Again, this is nowhere to be found in English-language media, but Eastern European media is rather gleefully reporting that Gazprom has nobody to sell their product to, as a result of Western sanctions (as in "we won't buy from you"), Russian sanctions (as in, "we won't sell to you or you or you"), and now China demanding the lowest of the low prices. Gazprom being the main crutch of Russian economy, which is wobbling anyways.

In related news, I believe it's now been a year or more (?) since Australia has sold any uranium to Russia - Australia being World's biggest uranium producer; and the sale of the French war ships, the Mistrals, fell through as well. neener.

DahLliA
07-03-2015, 03:06 AM
Why is Sweden in that comic?

Considering they aren't even part of NATO :p

EDIT: And just as I pressed "post" I realized that it's EU and not NATO.

GonzoTheGreat
07-03-2015, 04:01 AM
Because Sweden has the most sophisticated anti-Russian-submarine-system (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/13/swedish-peace-group-trolls-russian-submarines-with-gay-defence-system) and it's not afraid to use it.

Daekyras
07-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Because Sweden has the most sophisticated anti-Russian-submarine-system (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/13/swedish-peace-group-trolls-russian-submarines-with-gay-defence-system) and it's not afraid to use it.

They also have Stealth boats ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby-class_corvette stealth boats)

Davian93
07-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Considering they aren't even part of NATO :p

EDIT: And just as I pressed "post" I realized that it's EU and not NATO.

Yet anyway...they've been quietly thinking about joining the alliance the last few years. Honestly, they'd be stupid not too. Putin already violates their sovereignty and their values line up far more with NATO's than Russia's. Neutrality might not be a real option.

SomeOneElse
07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
By reading the article I found out that this request was made by two guys from russian parliament who are relatively unknown (I personally never heard their names). So this is a usual attempt to bring attention to their personalities, something that politicians constantly do from time to time
This "verification" by Prosecutor General was started, from what I see, because these guys submited a letter to him so he probably couldn't just ignore them. Also on local websites I found a RPGO's statement saying that request has no legal prospects etc.

So this is just a shitty provocation made solely to draw some attention. Putin isn't involved here anyhow. This is just like saying that Obama is responsible for whatever any USA parliament member stated.

Terez
07-04-2015, 02:07 PM
(We don't have a parliament. Just saying.)

SomeOneElse
07-04-2015, 02:17 PM
OMFG USA are so non-democratic, they don't even have a parliament :D.

GonzoTheGreat
07-05-2015, 03:23 AM
You call it "filibuster hall". But that's just like the Freedom Fries; an attempt to pretend you didn't learn whatever culture you have from the French.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-06-2015, 01:47 AM
So this is just a shitty provocation made solely to draw some attention. Putin isn't involved here anyhow. This is just like saying that Obama is responsible for whatever any USA parliament member stated.

well duh. A president's main task is to take the blame as well as the credit for EVERYTHING happening in the country.

In most countries there seems to be far more blame than credit, but Russia has always been a special case :D

GonzoTheGreat
07-06-2015, 04:52 AM
well duh. A president's main task is to take the blame as well as the credit for EVERYTHING happening in the country.

In most countries there seems to be far more blame than credit, but Russia has always been a special case
In Russia, president blame you.