PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France Starts Tomorrow

Davian93
07-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Anyone else excited?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

While the top dog has to be Chris Froome or maybe a repeat victory for Vicenzo Nibali...my money's on Nairo Quintana. He's a beast climber and he's in top form this year so far. I have a feeling he's gonna just pull away in the mountains and dominate like he did in last year's Giro.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Thibaut Pinot or Tejay van Garderen get a spot on the podium at least if everything breaks right. Neither is a top contender, but both have been solid so far this year and all it takes is a couple crashes like last year to open up a spot. BMC has a really strong all around squad so that might help Tejay (the great American hope) to place well...he's already proven he can crack the Top 5 twice so the ability is there as he's now entering his prime. For Pinot, he's the best France has to offer and he rode a great race last year so maybe he improves on that and give the French their first champ in 30 years.

Still, my money is on Nairo...if you've ever seen him ride, he's just a machine on the bike when climbing. Froome's a great climber too (and a great time trialist which really helps him in the Tour) but Quintana just needs one great day in the mountains where Froome can't hang and he can win the race.

For the sprints and flat stages, both Cavendish and Sagan are in peak form and Sagan is coming off a shocking victory in the Tour of California where he was in peak form so it'll be fun to watch...and of course Greipel and Kittel should challenge both too in the early flat stages.

Best race of the year so it'll be fun to watch as always.

GonzoTheGreat
07-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I could go and watch the first two days (they start within cycling distance from me), but it's far too hot and I'm not very interested in which has team the best pharmacist.

Davian93
07-03-2015, 12:21 PM
I could go and watch the first two days (they start within cycling distance from me), but it's far too hot and I'm not very interested in which has team the best pharmacist.

Yeah, i've noticed the weather over in Europe has been ridiculously hot so far this summer.

To be fair, cycling has cleaned up significantly in the past 5-7 years with the biological passport and increased testing. Doping is no worse there than any other sport at this point...and probably significantly cleaner than sports like american football.

Daekyras
07-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Yeah, i've noticed the weather over in Europe has been ridiculously hot so far this summer.

To be fair, cycling has cleaned up significantly in the past 5-7 years with the biological passport and increased testing. Doping is no worse there than any other sport at this point...and probably significantly cleaner than sports like american football.

In the 100m final in Beijing the guys who finished 7th and 8th both failed drug tests but the top six passed. Two of them later failed tests (4th and 5th) I think. What makes me so annoyed is that we are to assume that these highly trained athletes can't even place in the top three when they are on drugs but the top three are clean?

They need to get a new chemist.

and I agree with you- it's safe to assume that most professional athletes are on something. Take mma- for years certain guys were on TRT but if it was prescribed by a doctor it was ok. Despite the fact it was banned in every other professional sport in the world (including table tennis!)

In the tour De France I assume they are all up to some sort of shenanigans but it does not matter. I will be watching and I will be cheering on the guys who break away on their own. It is such amazing drama.

Isabel
07-03-2015, 03:09 PM
I live in the starting city (in a suburb) and the tour passes about 5 minutes away from me.
I am not sure i am going to watch it. But it does have huge impact:) from now till sunday you cannot enter the inner city by car, unless you have a permit.

Sarevok
07-04-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm exited too. Sadly they seem to be having some video issues atm... Anchors are desperately trying to fill the lack of actualy cycling footage. :(

I still hope it'll be some Dutch riders winning for a change. :)

Davian93
07-04-2015, 01:39 PM
If its a super windy day tomorrow along the coast, that could break up the peloton and lead to a fun day of racing. Nothing like seeing a strong crosswind destroy a peloton.

Utterly ridiculous TT by Rohan Dennis today...shocker really. Of course, my first thought was "Hmm...I wonder if he'll pee clean afterward". Tough luck for Tony Martin to go out later in the day when the winds had changed as that probably screwed him.

Biggest takeaways for me today were Quintana survived with a strong day and Tejay had a great ride (he's always been a strong TT so that wasn't a huge surprise) but among the top 5-10 riders, he had the best day and his team has the yellow jersey so they'll probably control the first week of the race now barring a shocker. Now if he can just show up for once in the mountains where he always seems to have terrible luck (busted gear set, broken chain, multiple flats, etc) he might get that spot on the podium.

Ivhon
07-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Sorry to Debbie Downer, but since you asked....

I'm absolutely ECSTATIC to see which athlete gets paid millions of dollars/euros/whatever for being the best and cleverest cheater in the field! ECSTATIC!

Davian93
07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Sorry to Debbie Downer, but since you asked....

I'm absolutely ECSTATIC to see which athlete gets paid millions of dollars/euros/whatever for being the best and cleverest cheater in the field! ECSTATIC!

Yeah, me too.

Isabel
07-04-2015, 11:15 PM
If its a super windy day tomorrow along the coast, that could break up the peloton and lead to a fun day of racing. Nothing like seeing a strong crosswind destroy a peloton.

Utterly ridiculous TT by Rohan Dennis today...shocker really. Of course, my first thought was "Hmm...I wonder if he'll pee clean afterward". Tough luck for Tony Martin to go out later in the day when the winds had changed as that probably screwed him.

Dont the runners decide on when they get to start? (Thats what i remember) so it was partly his own choice and bad weather.

Davian93
07-05-2015, 09:25 AM
And Quintana is already in major trouble from bad weather and accidents splitting then peloton...damn

GonzoTheGreat
07-05-2015, 09:47 AM
And Quintana is already in major trouble from bad weather and accidents splitting then peloton...damn
Fun for you, courtesy of the Dutch weather. Just as you asked for. Isn't that nice?

Davian93
07-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Fun for you, courtesy of the Dutch weather. Just as you asked for. Isn't that nice?

Yes, it was. Great day for racing and miserable for the cyclists. I've ridden in rain and wind lots of times and its always just awful. Though I will say on one level its kind of exhilarating once the rain stops and you're miserable, soaked through, freezing, etc but realize you survived just fine and all the other sissies are inside staying dry. Huge day for Tejay and Froome though. Nibili probably lost the Tour today and Quintana will need a huge week in the Pyrenees to come back which will be hard with Tejay and Froome a full 1:26 ahead already. Rough, rough day for Quintana and Movistar.

Other thoughts:

Cavendish is a giant asshole once again...totally screwed over Tony Martin by sitting up on his bike over the last 25 meters. On the US coverage, both Jens Voigt and Christian Vande Velde avoided answering on it but they both basically indicated that it was a dick move too. Sad really given the issues Etixx is already having as a team this spring.

Great sprint win by Greipel.

Great comeback from the flat for Sagan who has been a monster since the Tour of CA.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-06-2015, 02:01 AM

it hasn't really been out of the ordinary (if anything, been a little bit cooler than normal) until last week. In The Netherlands, anyways. It has rained less than usual though, or at least - that's what I think. Everyone else is happy about the lack of rain.

total non-sequitor on the actual topic of the thread but Wednesday, which was the hottest day of the week and also happened to be 1 July (or the other way around), our first monopile was installed (http://www.geminiwindpark.nl/e_news.html). They now have 5 done, 3 with the transition pieces installed, which is amazing considering the windspeeds and wave heights over the North Sea this weekend. Amazingly, we're on schedule. By and large, anyways ;)

ok, back to biking. Did you know, that due to the saddle placement and how it puts pressure on certain blood vessels, a large number of professional bikers are impotent?

GonzoTheGreat
07-06-2015, 05:03 AM
it hasn't really been out of the ordinary (if anything, been a little bit cooler than normal) until last week. In The Netherlands, anyways. It has rained less than usual though, or at least - that's what I think. Everyone else is happy about the lack of rain.That lack of rain earlier in the year may have contributed to the heat, because it made the ground very dry, so when the sun shines not much moisture evaporates, not many clouds form, and consequently the sun can heat up the ground far more than it otherwise might manage.

total non-sequitor on the actual topic of the thread but Wednesday, which was the hottest day of the week and also happened to be 1 July (or the other way around), our first monopile was installed (http://www.geminiwindpark.nl/e_news.html).Would've been more interesting if it had been a monopole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole).

ok, back to biking. Did you know, that due to the saddle placement and how it puts pressure on certain blood vessels, a large number of professional bikers are impotent?That can't be a result of evolution, so it must be Intelligent Design.

Figbiscuit
07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Le Tour started in Yorkshire last year, and a lot of fun it was too.

This year off the back of it we had the Tour de Yorkshire, which was also a lot of fun.

That's all I have to contribute to this.

Davian93
07-06-2015, 11:26 AM
it hasn't really been out of the ordinary (if anything, been a little bit cooler than normal) until last week. In The Netherlands, anyways. It has rained less than usual though, or at least - that's what I think. Everyone else is happy about the lack of rain.

total non-sequitor on the actual topic of the thread but Wednesday, which was the hottest day of the week and also happened to be 1 July (or the other way around), our first monopile was installed (http://www.geminiwindpark.nl/e_news.html). They now have 5 done, 3 with the transition pieces installed, which is amazing considering the windspeeds and wave heights over the North Sea this weekend. Amazingly, we're on schedule. By and large, anyways ;)

ok, back to biking. Did you know, that due to the saddle placement and how it puts pressure on certain blood vessels, a large number of professional bikers are impotent?

Yeahj, improper saddle placement can be a huge issue there. It can also cause a low sperm count actually.

Davian93
07-06-2015, 03:11 PM

Jumping off topic with you...600 MW from off-shore wind. That's just awesome. I wish the whiny NIMBYs in the US wouldn't oppose off-shore wind so much so we could do the same. Stupid hippies and rich people that dont like "losing their scenic vistas". The Great Lakes would be ideal for off-shore wind for one...as would both coasts. Even in VT (the "green" state), there is a ton of opposition to wind turbines and its all complete BS. The "humming noise" causes illness, the turbines damage ridgelines and ruin the scenery, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, its totally okay to buy coal fueled electricity from other states and be dependent on Hydro power from Quebec. Because both of those have zero environmental impact. stupid whiny hippies.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-07-2015, 01:43 AM
Jumping off topic with you...600 MW from off-shore wind. That's just awesome. I wish the whiny NIMBYs in the US wouldn't oppose off-shore wind so much so we could do the same. Stupid hippies and rich people that dont like "losing their scenic vistas". The Great Lakes would be ideal for off-shore wind for one...as would both coasts. Even in VT (the "green" state), there is a ton of opposition to wind turbines and its all complete BS. The "humming noise" causes illness, the turbines damage ridgelines and ruin the scenery, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, its totally okay to buy coal fueled electricity from other states and be dependent on Hydro power from Quebec. Because both of those have zero environmental impact. stupid whiny hippies.

oh we've got whiny NIMBY's here too. And people who think that it's their God-given right to sail every which way while there are clearly works going on. Darwin award candidates, I tell you. Actually, what's also pretty cool is that we're not one of those big energy companies selling their power to the public. We'll build the park, then sell the power to those companies; probably. The humming noise really isn't that loud - onshore windmills are much smaller than the offshore ones, so they don't make that much noise. Honestly, there are only two real objections to windmills:
1) the strobe effect on a sunny day *could* cause an epilepsy attack. If you go stand in exactly the spot where this could actually affect you.
2) sometimes birds get... er... dead.

The second one of those is actually a non-issue because most birds are awake when they fly, and tend to avoid big shiny objects on their path.

Davian93
07-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Also, birds are incredibly stupid and die running into everything (trees, buildings, glass, powerlines, etc). The added # of deaths from turnbills is negligible. Its such a BS complaint.

Daekyras
07-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Also, birds are incredibly stupid and die running into everything (trees, buildings, glass, powerlines, etc). The added # of deaths from turnbills is negligible. Its such a BS complaint.

The biggest complaints we get in Ireland about them are

1) they're ugly.
2) what happens on a windless day
3) they don't actually provide energy.

I can answer those:

1) they are fucking beautiful. And in any case off shore ones are usually just on the horizon line.

2) they don't produce electricity. A shame that stuff can't be stored.

3) said no research ever.

As for the tour- first few days have been great.

Davian93
07-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Fun story, days where there isn't any wind tend to be sunny...thus couple them with solar power and its win win.

I remember seeing a big wind farm out on the Ring of Kerry and they fit in quite well with the landscape...quite relaxing to me honestly.

Storage? Its called batteries.

Daekyras
07-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Storage? Its called batteries.

You know, I bet some of the anti - wind turbine people would probably be shocked to hear about those!

Nazbaque
07-08-2015, 06:23 PM
You know, I bet some of the anti - wind turbine people would probably be shocked to hear about those!

Pun alert!!

yks 6nnetu hing
07-09-2015, 02:16 AM
I totally derailed the thread, hehe

Actually, the energy efficiency of wind turbines is really good; of course there will be no energy if there's no wind or too much wind; but depending on the location of the park, with good constant winds... it's really good.

GonzoTheGreat
07-09-2015, 03:50 AM
2) what happens on a windless dayYou can hook up those stupid racing cyclists to the turbines. That way they are actually useful, and on a day without wind they have no real reason to pretend to race anyway, since it is their "fight against the elements" that is supposedly what it's all about.

Thus showing that yks was actually on topic, even though she's apparently not familiar enough with bicycles to realize it.

Figbiscuit
07-09-2015, 08:22 AM
We recently got a ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge, crossing the North Sea. I was surprised and gratified to see how many off-shore windfarms there were en route. The OH thinks they are pointless as they don't produce anything like the kind of energy needed to be useful...I managed to restrain from pushing him overboard, just.

Davian93
07-09-2015, 08:50 AM
We recently got a ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge, crossing the North Sea. I was surprised and gratified to see how many off-shore windfarms there were en route. The OH thinks they are pointless as they don't produce anything like the kind of energy needed to be useful...I managed to restrain from pushing him overboard, just.

Come to America where we can proudly say we currently have a whopping ZERO off-shore wind turbines in operation despite having 133,000 KM of coastlines.

Southpaw2012
07-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Gone are the days where the world could theorize whether the champ Lance Armstrong was juicing or not :(

GonzoTheGreat
07-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Ah, but was he doing that any more than any of his competitors?
If not, then he still was the best, apart from failing to observe the 11th Commandment ("thou shalt not get caught").

Davian93
07-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Gone are the days where the world could theorize whether the champ Lance Armstrong was juicing or not :(

Using the word "champ" with that POS is rich.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-09-2015, 09:46 AM

well... ours will be big enough to power the three northernmost provinces of NL, i.e. about 750 000 households. Or one Google datacenter.

Davian93
07-09-2015, 11:07 AM
well... ours will be big enough to power the three northernmost provinces of NL, i.e. about 750 000 households. Or one Google datacenter.

How many Rhode Islands is that?

GonzoTheGreat
07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
How many Rhode Islands is that?
According to Wikipedia, Rhode Island (RI) has about one million inhabitants. Assuming that Americans are more wasteful than northerners (seems a sound assumption), I would say that it counts as about one quarter RI.

No estimates were hurt in making this post.

Southpaw2012
07-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Using the word "champ" with that POS is rich.

Forgot the quotes around "champ". He definitely was no champ.

Sarevok
07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
On wind turbines: Latest research the news reported about reported that the sound complaint might not be as baseless as previously believed. (granted, that was for turbines on land)

Back on topic: It's been a great race so far. Pity about Martin dropping out now, though. :(

Davian93
07-09-2015, 08:27 PM
On wind turbines: Latest research the news reported about reported that the sound complaint might not be as baseless as previously believed. (granted, that was for turbines on land)

Back on topic: It's been a great race so far. Pity about Martin dropping out now, though. :(

Props to him for finishing despite a shattered collarbone. That had to be "fun".

Tough luck all around though.

Sarevok
07-10-2015, 04:37 PM
First doping case: Paolini suspected of cocaine use... :/

Daekyras
07-10-2015, 05:02 PM

I just can't imagine that being a good thing. Jesus. The first stage done in record time and then the next couple at walking pace?

Figbiscuit
07-13-2015, 06:10 AM

He deserves to be caught if he's being stupid enough to use coke. At least pick something which could be argued against!

GonzoTheGreat
07-13-2015, 06:22 AM
He deserves to be caught if he's being stupid enough to use coke. At least pick something which could be argued against!
He's only suspected so far, isn't he? Why not wait until the actual facts are in?
The standard to use here should be "innocent until proven cycling", not "guilty when accused".

Sarevok
07-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Well, this is more of a case of "presumed guilty because the first test sample came back positive for cocaine". The sence test is only to make doubly sure.
It's not like he's being found guilty just because some random person said so.

In other news: Ivan Basso just dropped out because of testicular cancer. Apparently, he had a pain in his balls that wouldn't go away after a chrash and then they found it in the hospital when he got it checked out... :eek:

GonzoTheGreat
07-13-2015, 11:25 AM
In other news: Ivan Basso just dropped out because of testicular cancer. Apparently, he had a pain in his balls that wouldn't go away after a crash and then they found it in the hospital when he got it checked out... :eek:
That sounds as if he deliberately crashed in the hope it would make the pain go away.

Daekyras
07-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Well, this is more of a case of "presumed guilty because the first test sample came back positive for cocaine". The sence test is only to make doubly sure.
It's not like he's being found guilty just because some random person said so.

In other news: Ivan Basso just dropped out because of testicular cancer. Apparently, he had a pain in his balls that wouldn't go away after a chrash and then they found it in the hospital when he got it checked out... :eek:

In a situation like this its hard to know what to say...

Poor guy or lucky Bastard?

Davian93
07-15-2015, 09:08 AM
In a situation like this its hard to know what to say...

Poor guy or lucky Bastard?

Same exact way Lance found out he had cancer...very lucky really to find out.

Davian93
07-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Speaking of Lance...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-just-questioned-whether-191624491.html

Well, if anyone is an expert on this area, it'd be Lance.