PDA

View Full Version : Another diversionary thread- quote fun!!

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 04:23 AM
Ok- I will quote a line from a film.

The person who gets it will then get to do the next quote and so on and so on...

Rules: if the quote is in multiple movies eg "I'll be back" you accept the series.

So, an easy round one:

"I feel the need...The need for speed"

Kimon
07-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Ok- I will quote a line from a film.

The person who gets it will then get to do the next quote and so on and so on...

Rules: if the quote is in multiple movies eg "I'll be back" you accept the series.

So, an easy round one:

"I feel the need...The need for speed"

Top Gun, an awful movie, an awful actor.

Here's a quote from a great movie & great actor.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Top Gun, an awful movie, an awful actor.

Here's a quote from a great movie & great actor.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Is that ash from evil dead?

But to address your first point: tom cruise is a great movie star.

In 1993 he made far and away. It's shit. Then he went on a run of good to great movies that lasted for nearly 15 years when he made knight and day.

And I mean that. He did not make a bad movie between (far and away) and (knight and day).

And since then the films he has made have been back to 3 or 4 star films. He is a consumate movie star.

He is my favourite movie star and if I was casting a WoT movie, he would be Lan. :)

yks 6nnetu hing
07-21-2015, 07:53 AM
He is my favourite movie star and if I was casting a WoT movie, he would be Lan. :)
if they put him on stilts. The guy is seriously short.

GonzoTheGreat
07-21-2015, 08:17 AM
if they put him on stilts. The guy is seriously short.So you think Lan should be played stilted?

yks 6nnetu hing
07-21-2015, 08:19 AM
So you think Lan should be played stilted?

Or by someone who actually fits the physical description. I mean, there are plenty of really good actors who can do the job AND fit the physical description.

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Or by someone who actually fits the physical description. I mean, there are plenty of really good actors who can do the job AND fit the physical description.

He could totally pull it off.

And I forgot to do a quote:

"A boys best friend is his mother"

GonzoTheGreat
07-21-2015, 10:29 AM
"A boys best friend is his mother"That's from Home Alone, I'll bet.
And since it is not a very good bet, I won't bother providing a new quote.

Nazbaque
07-21-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not home alone or at least neither of the first two. Sounds seriously Oedipal though.

Tom Cruise is a damn good actor when you look at the variety of roles he has done. Top Gun is not a good movie in terms of plot, but Cruise did his role well enough. A case of bad writing giving bad results even with good actors.

In the case of WoT film I am firmly in favour of animation for the following reasons: 1) Animated characters will look exactly like they are supposed to by default 2) You don't need to hire actors for non-speaking characters. 3) Good voice actors can easily do multiple roles.

With these three points the cast of thousands drops to a cast of less than fifty maybe to less than thirty with really talented voice actors.

Of course it would have its own problems not least of which is the biased animation = cartoon = for kids attitude of people who would wet themselves watching the more hardcore anime.

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 12:13 PM
That's from Home Alone, I'll bet.
And since it is not a very good bet, I won't bother providing a new quote.

Please tell me that's a joke?????

Kimon
07-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Is that ash from evil dead?

But to address your first point: tom cruise is a great movie star.

In 1993 he made far and away. It's shit. Then he went on a run of good to great movies that lasted for nearly 15 years when he made knight and day.

And I mean that. He did not make a bad movie between (far and away) and (knight and day).

And since then the films he has made have been back to 3 or 4 star films. He is a consumate movie star.

Yeah, aka Bruce Campbell, who would be a far better Lan than Cruise. Of course the same can be said of just about any other actor not named Mel Gibson. You do realize that Cruise is a Scientologist, right?

Kimon
07-21-2015, 01:25 PM
He could totally pull it off.

And I forgot to do a quote:

"A boys best friend is his mother"

Psycho.

Here's another, by a dude who would be a perfect Lan.

"Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint."

Nazbaque
07-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Yeah, aka Bruce Campbell, who would be a far better Lan than Cruise. Of course the same can be said of just about any other actor not named Mel Gibson. You do realize that Cruise is a Scientologist, right?

Cruise can be anything and everything off screen. As an actor he is a good one. This is about his skill not his personality. And I don't think he would be a good Lan. He has variety but Lan isn't in it.

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Psycho.

Here's another, by a dude who would be a perfect Lan.

"Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint."

A a a a Argh!

I know that quote. It's just not coming to me. But I think I know the actor and if it is him, initials NF, then you have a completely different idea of Lan to me. Tom Cruise might be short but he can pull off bad ass so much better.

Goddamn that quote is going to annoy me and I refuse to look it up!

Nazbaque
07-21-2015, 02:41 PM
A a a a Argh!

I know that quote. It's just not coming to me. But I think I know the actor and if it is him, initials NF, then you have a completely different idea of Lan to me. Tom Cruise might be short but he can pull off bad ass so much better.

Bad ass comes in many forms and varieties. Cruise can't pull off Lan's type of bad ass.

Lan's emotions are so firmly in check that it's actually unhealthy. He doesn't need to show off or proove anything he just is. Cruise can be a lot, but not this.

Kimon
07-21-2015, 03:45 PM
A a a a Argh!

It is NF, assuming that you're thinking of the right NF. That should be hint enough for the correct film, but if you need another the poem in reference was Rime of the Ancient Mariner, though they only mentioned the bird...

Cruise would be a horrible Lan. Admittedly, NF would perhaps be better as Thom, or if still young, as Mat.

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Bad ass comes in many forms and varieties. Cruise can't pull off Lan's type of bad ass.

Lan's emotions are so firmly in check that it's actually unhealthy. He doesn't need to show off or proove anything he just is. Cruise can be a lot, but not this.

It's a silly thing I know but I really do think he could play that role. Meh, i fully understand others thinking he couldn't though!

@kimon thank you- serenity! I knew it. I just couldn't work the thing out in my head. You know, I might just watch that tonight. I love Nathan fillion but I can't picture him as Lan and if we go on physical appearance he is way to big to play Mat.

"If he dies, he dies"

Ivhon
07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Dolph Lundgren Rocky IV

"It's beyond my control "

Daekyras
07-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Dolph Lundgren Rocky IV

"It's beyond my control "

I know this is a famous one but I can't remember.

Is it from a modern adaption of Shakespeare?

Ivhon
07-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Not Shakespeare. Or quite that old. But you're warm...

Daekyras
07-22-2015, 02:48 AM
Not Shakespeare. Or quite that old. But you're warm...

Warm but not that old. A period piece. Not any of the Austin adaptations surely? Hmm. It sounds like a quote from Dickens. Something gradgrind might say in "hard times".

I really do feel like this is well known. I'm not going to look it up....maybe a little hint??

Daekyras
07-22-2015, 04:48 PM
I just got told that it's dangerous liaisons!

As soon as I heard it I knew. John malkovich says it like ten times!

Ivhon
07-22-2015, 07:11 PM
I just got told that it's dangerous liaisons!

As soon as I heard it I knew. John malkovich says it like ten times!

Spent months on that scene in scene study.

Daekyras
07-23-2015, 03:10 AM
Spent months on that scene in scene study.

Scene study? Sounds great.

Was this part of your psychology training or as a separate course? I always wanted to study film in some way.

Another easy one:

"60% of the time, it works every time"

Daekyras
07-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Was this part of your psychology training or as a separate course? I always wanted to study film in some way.

Another easy one:

"60% of the time, it works every time"

Wow, I expected someone to get this by now.

Or....wait, maybe no - one wants to play.

Sorry.

Frenzy
07-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Is that from Anchorman?

Daekyras
07-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Is that from Anchorman?

Correct!

Your go....

Ivhon
07-24-2015, 11:21 PM

Acting class. Very difficult scene.

Frenzy
07-25-2015, 01:47 AM
"...For some reason, you sound a little taller on radio."

GonzoTheGreat
07-25-2015, 03:28 AM
That has to be a Tom Cruise movie. Once again, I have no idea which one, of course.

Daekyras
07-25-2015, 07:11 AM
That has to be a Tom Cruise movie. Once again, I have no idea which one, of course.

TC would never let that be said in his movie.

I think I know this one- cannonball run? I know it's a driving film with CB radios. Convoy???

Frenzy
07-25-2015, 09:39 AM
You're close, but no not those. :)

Daekyras
07-26-2015, 01:16 PM
You're close, but no not those. :)

Smokey and the bandit!!

Frenzy
07-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Yup!!! Your turn now :)

Daekyras
07-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Yup!!! Your turn now :)

There is a film on tv right now and the last line was:

"Evil is a point of view."

Good luck with that one. Tough.

tworiverswoman
07-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Vampire Lestat? Although for some reason my first memory was Alec Guiness hand-waving away why he told Luke that Darth Vader killed Luke's father. Talk about ret-conning!

Anybody else want to negotiate?

Frenzy
07-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Vampire Lestat? Although for some reason my first memory was Alec Guiness hand-waving away why he told Luke that Darth Vader killed Luke's father. Talk about ret-conning!
Yah, i thought it sounded like Anne Rice.

Anybody else want to negotiate?
The Fifth Element!!!! ghaa, i LOVE that movie!!!!

ok, here's one: "O Lord, do we have the strength to carry off this mighty task in one night? Or are we just jerking off?"

Daekyras
07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Yah, i thought it sounded like Anne Rice.

The Fifth Element!!!! ghaa, i LOVE that movie!!!!

ok, here's one: "O Lord, do we have the strength to carry off this mighty task in one night? Or are we just jerking off?"

And I love blazing saddles!

"Pain don't hurt"

From a film that is getting remade next year :(

Frenzy
07-26-2015, 11:29 PM
oh geez they are NOT remaking Road House, are they? Wasn't it bad enough the first time?

Here's a potentially tough one for y'all: "Pest! You have any idea how hard it is to get one of those?"

Daekyras
07-27-2015, 04:21 AM
oh geez they are NOT remaking Road House, are they? Wasn't it bad enough the first time?

Here's a potentially tough one for y'all: "Pest! You have any idea how hard it is to get one of those?"

I...don't think I've ever heard that. Is it Mars attacks!?

It sounds like something from a parody.

And yes, as soon as swayze died there was a jump on his older movies. I think there are two or three in development.

Frenzy
07-29-2015, 01:06 AM
Nope, not Mars Attacks, and definitely not a parody. That line is a gallows-humorous quip from the antagonist of a pretty dark movie. Here's a hint: Viggo Mortensen's in it.

Daekyras
07-29-2015, 03:11 AM
Nope, not Mars Attacks, and definitely not a parody. That line is a gallows-humorous quip from the antagonist of a pretty dark movie. Here's a hint: Viggo Mortensen's in it.

I am gonna give myself one more day to try and figure it out and then I'm hitting Imdb to look up his film list!

Hmmmm. Viggo been in some dark movies. The road, eastern promises etc. And let's never forget the two towers. Urgh.

But I'm assuming you are being coy and he is not the main star. Gi Jane? 28 days? Dammit!!!

DahLliA
07-29-2015, 03:28 AM

The Prophecy. Went on an angel-movie spree after I finished the first season of Dominion :p

This one may or may not be hard depending on how much you like comebacks: "I would if I could. Bitch"

Daekyras
07-29-2015, 04:06 AM
The Prophecy. Went on an angel-movie spree after I finished the first season of Dominion :p

This one may or may not be hard depending on how much you like comebacks: "I would if I could. Bitch"

Oh that's great. I have seen that film too. Prophecy- It's the one were Christopher walken plays a fallen angel?? Fun.

I'm thinking of yours now.

Figbiscuit
07-30-2015, 10:16 AM
I...don't think I've ever heard that. Is it Mars attacks!?

It sounds like something from a parody.

And yes, as soon as swayze died there was a jump on his older movies. I think there are two or three in development.

If they remake Dirty Dancing I'm going to burn down the world. Just sayin.

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2015, 11:19 AM
According to Wikipedia, that project is somewhat postponed due to casting problems. Still, they're working on it, apparently.

Nazbaque
07-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Fig, don't tempt me like that; I'm only a month short of becoming a wizard.

Frenzy
07-31-2015, 12:46 AM
Doesn't ring a bell

Daekyras
07-31-2015, 05:07 PM
I was completely flummoxed by this one. Had absolutely no idea.

I have a friend who is a stand up comedien (Barry mack, look him up. Very funny.) He is amazing when it comes to this kinda thing as he focuses on it a little too much. It literally took him half a second to tell me:

Whore. Why were you watching that piece of crap??

So, in short, I refuse to cheat and use the Internet but I will use the next best thing.

That was a tough one as I can honestly say I've never even heard of that film!

Here's a nice long quote:

Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports make ya grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker.

Relatively easy I think so I want the character and actor name...

Frenzy
07-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Yah, i've never heard of that movie either. Next!!

Here's a nice long quote:

Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports make ya grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker.

Relatively easy I think so I want the character and actor name...

Guess we're all going old school with the movie quotes! That's Apollo Creed from the first Rocky movie. Can't remember the actor's name. I think he was in Predator too. Anyone?

Daekyras
08-01-2015, 04:08 AM
Yah, i've never heard of that movie either. Next!!

Guess we're all going old school with the movie quotes! That's Apollo Creed from the first Rocky movie. Can't remember the actor's name. I think he was in Predator too. Anyone?

Got it in one. Carl weathers is the actor.

Your turn Frenzy!

DahLliA
08-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Whore. Why were you watching that piece of crap??

To be completely honest I've just seen that one scene on Youtube.

But that comeback is just great :p

Frenzy
08-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Easy one: "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!"

Khoram
08-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Easy one: "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!"

Oh! Oh! I know that one! It's Batman, right? Tell me it's Batman! :p

A New Hope - Han to Chewie before they jump down into the garbage chute.

Here's one that's on TV right now:

"You and your men are the biggest mistake in the history of NASA."

Frenzy
08-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Yes, it's Batman :p

Here's one that's on TV right now:

"You and your men are the biggest mistake in the history of NASA."

Armageddon!! That movie is such trash but it's 1 of only 2 Michael Bay movies i actually enjoy. The other is also trash but still a ton of fun. Here's a quote from it:

"Well, I'm one of those fortunate people who like my job, sir. Got my first chemistry set when I was seven, blew my eyebrows off, we never saw the cat again, been into it ever since."

Daekyras
08-02-2015, 05:28 AM
Yes, it's Batman :p

Armageddon!! That movie is such trash but it's 1 of only 2 Michael Bay movies i actually enjoy. The other is also trash but still a ton of fun. Here's a quote from it:

"Well, I'm one of those fortunate people who like my job, sir. Got my first chemistry set when I was seven, blew my eyebrows off, we never saw the cat again, been into it ever since."

I'll type this with an accent:

Shtanley ghoodshpeed in the Rhock. As played by nic cage and pronounced by Sean connery!

Another easy one:

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Kimon
08-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Another easy one:

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Predator

"Tell me - does this walking corpse have a name?"

This one might be harder, so I'll give a hint. The two characters speaking in this scene are somewhat reminiscent (well, in retrospect I suppose) of Mat and Perrin.

Daekyras
08-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Predator

"Tell me - does this walking corpse have a name?"

This one might be harder, so I'll give a hint. The two characters speaking in this scene are somewhat reminiscent (well, in retrospect I suppose) of Mat and Perrin.

Are you sure this is not a reference to the stupid stupid sub plot from game of Thrones and they are talking about ser Robert strong?!!

Kimon
08-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Are you sure this is not a reference to the stupid stupid sub plot from game of Thrones and they are talking about ser Robert strong?!!

Nope. The reference of a similarity to Perrin should be a massive hint. The Perrin-esque dude was the one spoken to, the speaker was the one that reminds me of Mat, even in the actual name of that actor. I also gave a hint about when it was released - at least in relation to wot.

Daekyras
08-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Nope. The reference of a similarity to Perrin should be a massive hint. The Perrin-esque dude was the one spoken to, the speaker was the one that reminds me of Mat, even in the actual name of that actor. I also gave a hint about when it was released - at least in relation to wot.

Ladyhawke. Has to be.

Kimon
08-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Ladyhawke. Has to be.

Yup.

Daekyras
08-07-2015, 08:46 AM
"He's comin' in. I feel safer already."

Said in a sarky voice.

Frenzy
08-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Aliens!!!!

Next one: "Why do we even have that lever?"

Daekyras
08-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Aliens!!!!

Next one: "Why do we even have that lever?"

Oh crap! Is it embarrassing that I think I know that?

Emperors new groove! A very underrated movie. I'm not joking. It's very witty!

Khoram
08-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Oh crap! Is it embarrassing that I think I know that?

Emperors new groove! A very underrated movie. I'm not joking. It's very witty!

Gah! I should have known that one! XD

And no, it isn't embarrassing. It's a very entertaining movie. In fact, I just watched it a few weeks ago. :D

Daekyras
08-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Gah! I should have known that one! XD

And no, it isn't embarrassing. It's a very entertaining movie. In fact, I just watched it a few weeks ago. :D

Wow- more than a day with no posts on any of the forums. Je suis desolè!

I guess we've all got to face the truth? What's that you say:

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

movie and actor please!

Kimon
08-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Wow- more than a day with no posts on any of the forums. Je suis desolè!

I guess we've all got to face the truth? What's that you say:

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

movie and actor please!

A Few Good Men; Jack Nicholson. Great actor, bad movie. I blame the crappy co-stars he was stuck with...

Here's one from a great movie:

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 01:05 PM
A Few Good Men; Jack Nicholson. Great actor, bad movie. I blame the crappy co-stars he was stuck with...

Tom Cruise again? You really love to hate him, don't you.

Unless of course you meant Kevin Bacon. I must warn you that I will not suffer such sentiments in anyone.

Ivhon
08-10-2015, 02:07 PM

Here's one from a great movie:

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

Too easy for this board. I expect nearly everyone here has the Princess Bride memorised.

"It seems my hypocrisy knows no bounds"

Kimon
08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Tom Cruise again? You really love to hate him, don't you.

Unless of course you meant Kevin Bacon. I must warn you that I will not suffer such sentiments in anyone.

I was thinking of Cruise and Demi Moore, though it should be noted that the film also included such "illustrious" actors as Kiefer Sutherland and Cuba Gooding Jr. As for Cruise, his movies have made a lot of money, but very few of them were good - basically just Interview with the Vampire (mostly due to Kirsten Dunst and Brad Pitt), Magnolia (due to an excellent screenplay), and Valkyrie - and he's a Scientologist.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I was thinking of Cruise and Demi Moore, though it should be noted that the film also included such "illustrious" actors as Kiefer Sutherland and Cuba Gooding Jr. As for Cruise, his movies have made a lot of money, but very few of them were good - basically just Interview with the Vampire (mostly due to Kirsten Dunst and Brad Pitt), Magnolia (due to an excellent screenplay), and Valkyrie - and he's a Scientologist.

What has scientology got to do with it?

Kimon
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
What has scientology got to do with it?

It's an unforgivable sin. Supporting his movies is supporting Scientology. It's like overlooking Mel Gibson's antisemitism and seeing one of his awful films.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
It's an unforgivable sin. Supporting his movies is supporting Scientology. It's like overlooking Mel Gibson's antisemitism and seeing one of his awful films.

But it has nothing to do with acting. Who they are off screen automatically doesn't matter because they are not themselves on the job.

If they weren't capable of keeping their real selves off the characters they portrayed then they would truly be bad actors, but this would be true for all aspects of a personality and thus again scientology is simply a minor detail.

Judging work based on who someone is or what their opinions are is like judging a book by the cover. It's logical level is actually very similar to that of scientology making this whole thing remarkably ironic.

Daekyras
08-10-2015, 02:47 PM

Mel is a big douche but I must say: apocalypto is a masterclass in pacing and tension building.

And I kinda really enjoyed "how I spent my summer vacation".

Ivhon- you stole my movie! Do rather than just answer it I will add another line to help the casual observers. This would have been my next line anyway:

I'm your huckleberry"

Kimon
08-10-2015, 02:52 PM
But it has nothing to do with acting. Who they are off screen automatically doesn't matter because they are not themselves on the job.

If they weren't capable of keeping their real selves off the characters they portrayed then they would truly be bad actors, but this would be true for all aspects of a personality and thus again scientology is simply a minor detail.

Judging work based on who someone is or what their opinions are is like judging a book by the cover. It's logical level is actually very similar to that of scientology making this whole thing remarkably ironic.

It's not that simple Naz. There is a reason why Cruise has been the public face of Scientology, and why Travolta was that face before him. There is a reason why Scientology is headquartered where it is, and a reason why they target actors and actresses for conversion. Their fame helps in the recruitment and growth of their religion. Going to see his movies might not be as direct a financial contribution to the cult as joining and tithing, but it still is providing the sustenance and the lifeblood to the cult. It's like asking one of the White Sisters how they could have voted for Alviarin for Sitter even if they knew she was Black Ajah, and they answered, well sure she's evil, but she's smart, and a persuasive speaker. Well, okay, but still evil.

I really think we should leave it however at that. This thread was supposed to be whimsical and fun, not a question on whether it is unethical to like Tom Cruise's movies.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
It's not that simple Naz. There is a reason why Cruise has been the public face of Scientology, and why Travolta was that face before him. There is a reason why Scientology is headquartered where it is, and a reason why they target actors and actresses for conversion. Their fame helps in the recruitment and growth of their religion. Going to see his movies might not be as direct a financial contribution to the cult as joining and tithing, but it still is providing the sustenance and the lifeblood to the cult. It's like asking one of the White Sisters how they could have voted for Alviarin for Sitter even if they knew she was Black Ajah, and they answered, well sure she's evil, but she's smart, and a persuasive speaker. Well, okay, but still evil.

I really think we should leave it however at that. This thread was supposed to be whimsical and fun, not a question on whether it is unethical to like Tom Cruise's movies.

But Kimon that is not at all the point. This is about judgement of quality. If you sincerily believe that boycotting movies because of scientology is a good reason then do it and by all means convince others, but do not confuse the politics with the art. If this is a good reason then it is a good reason regardless of movie quality. If you think Cruise is bad at acting, then boycott his movies because he is bad at acting. If either reason needs the other to enforce it then that reason is weak.

You must be able to keep politics out of quality judgement. Once you have accurately judged the quality you can discuss if it is high enough to make up for the politics, but it is a separate matter.

Kimon
08-10-2015, 03:34 PM
But Kimon that is not at all the point. This is about judgement of quality. If you sincerily believe that boycotting movies because of scientology is a good reason then do it and by all means convince others, but do not confuse the politics with the art. If this is a good reason then it is a good reason regardless of movie quality. If you think Cruise is bad at acting, then boycott his movies because he is bad at acting. If either reason needs the other to enforce it then that reason is weak.

You must be able to keep politics out of quality judgement. Once you have accurately judged the quality you can discuss if it is high enough to make up for the politics, but it is a separate matter.

Just to make sure I'm being clear, I think he's both a horrible actor and the frontman for an evil religion. To give an example that would fit (for me) more of what you're describing - Clint Eastwood. Great actor, great director, whole bunch of great movies, but really awful politics. Still like Clint's movies.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Just to make sure I'm being clear, I think he's both a horrible actor and the frontman for an evil religion. To give an example that would fit (for me) more of what you're describing - Clint Eastwood. Great actor, great director, whole bunch of great movies, but really awful politics. Still like Clint's movies.

But do you understand the importance of being clear about this? Scientology is bad and needs to be opposed? Fair enough. Cruise is bad at acting? Again fair enough. If you can back both claims with facts and assemble the arguments well people will see you as a good judge of movies and politics and are more inclined to agree with you on these topics. If you make an argument that scientology is bad because Cruise is a bad actor or that Cruise is a bad actor because of the scientology, then people won't think much of your abilities in judging either movies or politics even if they agree on the basic points on Cruise and scientology being bad.

Kimon
08-10-2015, 04:11 PM
But do you understand the importance of being clear about this? Scientology is bad and needs to be opposed? Fair enough. Cruise is bad at acting? Again fair enough. If you can back both claims with facts and assemble the arguments well people will see you as a good judge of movies and politics and are more inclined to agree with you on these topics. If you make an argument that scientology is bad because Cruise is a bad actor or that Cruise is a bad actor because of the scientology, then people won't think much of your abilities in judging either movies or politics even if they agree on the basic points on Cruise and scientology being bad.

Providing factual evidence that Scientology is bad is easy enough, but I think hardly necessary. Saying that Cruise is a bad actor is however an aesthetic judgment. There is nothing factual for me to point to other than my opinion. As for the rest, I fail to see your point. I can both think that Cruise is a bad actor, and that his religion is unethical, and use that to justify boycotting his films. The two ideas can each stand alone or they can, as here, reinforce each other.

In any case, we've exhausted my interest in this topic. Can we just return to the quotes? I for instance hadn't even noticed that Ivhon had answered mine, and offered one of his own.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Providing factual evidence that Scientology is bad is easy enough, but I think hardly necessary. Saying that Cruise is a bad actor is however an aesthetic judgment. There is nothing factual for me to point to other than my opinion. As for the rest, I fail to see your point. I can both think that Cruise is a bad actor, and that his religion is unethical, and use that to justify boycotting his films. The two ideas can each stand alone or they can, as here, reinforce each other.

But if you try to connect the quality of the movies to his religious beliefs you are basically proving that you can't argue it on his skills alone. So is he really a bad actor in your mind or can't you just admit that the movies are a pleasure because you think he is a bad person?

Kimon
08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
So is he really a bad actor in your mind or can't you just admit that the movies are a pleasure because you think he is a bad person?

I pointed out the only three movies of his that I thought were good. I think the rest are bad, and I think he's a bad actor. Why does that bother you? Oh, and re-read that bolded section. Your syntax is interesting. I'll assume you don't mean that literally...

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 06:00 PM
I pointed out the only three movies of his that I thought were good. I think the rest are bad, and I think he's a bad actor. Why does that bother you? Oh, and re-read that bolded section. Your syntax is interesting. I'll assume you don't mean that literally...

Punctuation is a blindspot of mine especially in the small hours. If it was hard to follow I was basically accusing you of being in denial about a guilty pleasure.

Your bringing an actor's personal life into a movie quality argument suggests that you feel you shouldn't like something that you do like. Kind of like bringing nutritional values into a debate on what a food tastes like. If you can't keep the arguments separate people will just think one is an illogical extension of the other for you.

Kimon
08-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Punctuation is a blindspot of mine especially in the small hours. If it was hard to follow I was basically accusing you of being in denial about a guilty pleasure.

Your bringing an actor's personal life into a movie quality argument suggests that you feel you shouldn't like something that you do like. Kind of like bringing nutritional values into a debate on what a food tastes like. If you can't keep the arguments separate people will just think one is an illogical extension of the other for you.

It was the phrasing. I know what you meant obviously, but you said "can't you just admit that the movies are a pleasure because you think he is a bad person". What you meant presumably (unless you really did just intend to be saucy masochist) was "can't you just admit that the movies aren't a pleasure because you think he is a bad person".

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 06:23 PM
It was the phrasing. I know what you meant obviously, but you said "can't you just admit that the movies are a pleasure because you think he is a bad person". What you meant presumably (unless you really did just intend to be saucy masochist) was "can't you just admit that the movies aren't a pleasure because you think he is a bad person".

I said it was the punctuation. Insert the missing comma and it's perfectly sensible.

Kimon
08-10-2015, 06:27 PM
I said it was the punctuation. Insert the missing comma and it's perfectly sensible.

It still would be ambiguous even with a comma, though putting one after the "or" would allow for that reading. The main problem is the "just".

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Only if you removed the "just".

*Sigh* "So is he really a bad actor in your mind or can't you just admit that the movies are a pleasure, because you think he is a bad person?"

Kimon
08-10-2015, 06:39 PM
*Sigh* "So is he really a bad actor in your mind or can't you just admit that the movies are a pleasure, because you think he is a bad person?"

It still is painful English.

You could do this:

"So, is he really a bad actor, or can't you admit that the movies are a pleasure because he is a bad person."

You should still negate that are, but this way it could mean what you want. Once you add back in that "just", it throws the sense off. You could also say "can you (just) admit that the movies aren't a pleasure". Actually maybe that's the main problem. The way you're wording it just seems really odd. Might be a non-native thing, it just sounds very off. Heck, writing it that way you can even leave in the "just". You can get away with having the "can" either positive or negative, but it feels very odd if the "are" isn't negated.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 06:49 PM
It still is painful English.

You could do this:

"So, is he really a bad actor, or can't you admit that the movies are a pleasure because he is a bad person."

You should still negate that are, but this way it could mean what you want. Once you add back in that "just", it throws the sense off. You could also say "can you (just) admit that the movies aren't a pleasure". Actually maybe that's the main problem. The way you're wording it just seems really odd. Might be a non-native thing, it just sounds very off. Heck, writing it that way you can even leave in the "just". You can get away with having the "can" either positive or negative, but it feels very odd if the "are" isn't negated.

You really didn't understand what I meant did you?

Kimon
08-10-2015, 06:52 PM
You really didn't understand what I meant did you?

Are you asking me "the question", or asking me if it's possible for your question to make sense?

If the former, what you mean is "do you think his movies are bad because he is a bad person". The answer to that is no. He is bad person, and most of his movies are bad. I thought I made that clear. As for the latter, clearly your sentence does not make sense. As you wrote it, it means "his movies are pleasant because he is bad".

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Are you asking me "the question", or asking me if it's possible for your question to make sense?

If the former, what you mean is "do you think his movies are bad because he is a bad person". The answer to that is no. He is bad person, and most of his movies are bad. I thought I made that clear. As for the latter, clearly your sentence does not make sense. As you wrote it, it means "his movies are pleasant because he is bad".

No it means that because you think he is a bad person you just can't admit that you like his movies. And because I have already suggested that you are in denial about this, the question is rhetorical.

Daekyras
08-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Interesting conversation.

Kimon, what sort of movies do you like? The reason I'm asking is that you have said you think tom cruise makes bad movies. I'm just interested if you don't like action movies as that seems to be his regular genre. Oh, and to address one minor thing from earlier. Both dust and Pitt are terrible in interview with the vampire. I watched it about a week ago and they are not good!

But as I said in an earlier post- I think he has only made one "bad" movie since 1993. Even something as silly as rock of ages is watchable.

But anyway, someone guess Ivhons!

"I guess my hypocrisy knows no bounds"

To which I added

"I'm your huckleberry"

Kimon
08-10-2015, 07:12 PM
No it means that because you think he is a bad person you just can't admit that you like his movies.

Oy veh. I just don't like (most of) his movies, and no, the fact that he is a scientologist isn't why. Jason Lee is a scientologist and I like his movies. Heck, I can only think of two Jason Lee movies that I disliked - Dreamcatcher and Vanilla Sky (Which also had Cruise, coincidence?). The rest of his have been good. Tom Cruise just happens to be a really bad actor, and to have been in a bunch of really bad movies. Don't understand why you find this odd. It's okay if you like his movies. It's okay if you think he's a good actor. I just don't.

Kimon
08-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Interesting conversation.

Kimon, what sort of movies do you like? The reason I'm asking is that you have said you think tom cruise makes bad movies. I'm just interested if you don't like action movies as that seems to be his regular genre. Oh, and to address one minor thing from earlier. Both dust and Pitt are terrible in interview with the vampire. I watched it about a week ago and they are not good!

But as I said in an earlier post- I think he has only made one "bad" movie since 1993. Even something as silly as rock of ages is watchable.

But anyway, someone guess Ivhons!

"I guess my hypocrisy knows no bounds"

To which I added

"I'm your huckleberry"

I like some action movies, but only ones that are story driven. I don't like special effects. I'll put up with them if it's a sci-fi or fantasy movie, but even then only if it doesn't get in the way of the story, not if they are there instead of a story. Starting to see why I don't like most of his films? As for why I didn't like A Few Good Men. It was incredibly boring. The other issue is his acting. It's just not good. He doesn't have many dramatic roles, but the few he does, he's just dreck. That admittedly is, as I've mentioned elsewhere, purely an aesthetic opinion. It's quite possible that you and Naz can disagree with me. Not sure why Naz is belaboring this.

Nazbaque
08-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Oy veh. I just don't like (most of) his movies, and no, the fact that he is a scientologist isn't why. Jason Lee is a scientologist and I like his movies. Heck, I can only think of two Jason Lee movies that I disliked - Dreamcatcher and Vanilla Sky (Which also had Cruise, coincidence?). The rest of his have been good. Tom Cruise just happens to be a really bad actor, and to have been in a bunch of really bad movies. Don't understand why you find this odd. It's okay if you like his movies. It's okay if you think he's a good actor. I just don't.

Hmmmm... I'd still say you aren't completely honest here. To yourself I mean. Now personally Tom Cruise is just Tom Cruise to me. In a sense he is not a good actor in that he often is being himself in the roles he plays, but he is also often cast for roles that fit him so he can be himself. The thing is that the person he is rubs you in the wrong way. He is a huge turn off for you. And no this isn't a sex thing as such it just uses the same doors.

One of my turn offs is coconut. The minute coconut is added a dish becomes inedible for me. In my head I know that everything else is perfect, but I just can't get past that taste.

I'd say Tom Cruise is that for you in movies.

Frenzy
08-11-2015, 12:00 AM
Dragging the post back over here cuz i hate scrolling right to view threads.

The last movie quoted was Tombstone. Classic.

Here's another quote to ID: "No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer be standing, because if I am you'll all be dead before you've reloaded."

Frenzy
08-11-2015, 12:07 AM
ugh, i HATE coconut too. blech.

i get the "like the art, dislike the artist" mentality. i really like Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down, but i can't in good conscience pay to listen to them because i vehemently disagree with their victim-blaming. (i don't care about their politics, this is a free country and they're welcome to believe/advocate what they want how they want.)

How about this: Chinatown & Rosemary's Baby are considered very good movies, but would you pay to see a Roman Polanski movie? i wouldn't.

Which is completely different from "that artist sucks AND i disagree with their politics/religion/behavior/whatever." i can't think of any artists off the top of my head. Plenty of pro athletes, though...

Kimon
08-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Here's another quote to ID: "No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer be standing, because if I am you'll all be dead before you've reloaded."

V for Vendetta

How about this: Chinatown & Rosemary's Baby are considered very good movies, but would you pay to see a Roman Polanski movie? i wouldn't.

I've never paid to see any of his movies, but I own the 9th Gate, and used to own, but somehow lost, his version of Macbeth. Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby were both great movies too, so was Frantic. But yeah, rapist.

Which is completely different from "that artist sucks AND i disagree with their politics/religion/behavior/whatever." i can't think of any artists off the top of my head.

Paul Gauguin? Not sure why you dislike Rage against the Machine's politics (maybe it's just that I'm unfamiliar with any music they've put out since the late 90s), but Wagner comes to mind for me in that category.

Oh, and a quote:

"Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro."

yks 6nnetu hing
08-11-2015, 01:26 AM
ugh, i HATE coconut too. blech.

i get the "like the art, dislike the artist" mentality. i really like Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down, but i can't in good conscience pay to listen to them because i vehemently disagree with their victim-blaming. (i don't care about their politics, this is a free country and they're welcome to believe/advocate what they want how they want.)

Which is completely different from "that artist sucks AND i disagree with their politics/religion/behavior/whatever." i can't think of any artists off the top of my head. Plenty of pro athletes, though...

For the record, I think Tom Cruise is a mediocre actor at best. he doesn't have any comedic ability and his dramatic ability is... well... no good either, to put it mildly. But he's by and large very good at picking *action* movies that will be great hits.

IIRC we had this discussion before, but with Michael Jackson - at what point does a person's "talent" outweigh their other, less savory, characteristics and/or activities? Because, clearly, there is a limit - just think of Ike Turner, Chris Brown, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Jenny McCarthy (not that she has much talent to begin with, but I just realized my list is very masculine) the already mentioned Roman Polanski, John Travolta, Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise. How about the people that are already dead, and whose ideas *at the time* were not that remarkable but in the modern society, it'd be a huge no-no... such as Walt Disney.

Daekyras
08-11-2015, 03:18 AM
Walt Disney.

But...but...We would have had to boycott frozen. And then we would never have learned to let it go, let it go, let it go!

Your quote is lock stock and two smoking barrels. Big shiny fuck off knives that look like you're gonna skin a crocodile. :)

How about a comedy version of same quote:

"You drive for show, putt for dough."

It's kinda weird here- sure tom cruise is a different religion to us. Sure I don't understand his religion. But to the best of my knowledge I don't think he has broken any laws?

So I feel uncomfortable with him being compared to Chris "spousal abuse" brown and roman the rapist polanski.
But I must admit that I did go to see "the pianist" in the cinema. A great film.

In fact if we replaced the word Scientologist with the word "muslim" or "jew" or "protestant" this conversation wouldn't look right at all.

I'm not putting anyone on blast- I just think it is strange that certain religions are acceptable to be joked or called "abominations". Meh, too heavy for a Tuesday morning!

yks 6nnetu hing
08-11-2015, 05:39 AM
It's kinda weird here- sure tom cruise is a different religion to us. Sure I don't understand his religion. But to the best of my knowledge I don't think he has broken any laws?

So I feel uncomfortable with him being compared to Chris "spousal abuse" brown and roman the rapist polanski.
But I must admit that I did go to see "the pianist" in the cinema. A great film.

In fact if we replaced the word Scientologist with the word "muslim" or "jew" or "protestant" this conversation wouldn't look right at all.

I'm not putting anyone on blast- I just think it is strange that certain religions are acceptable to be joked or called "abominations". Meh, too heavy for a Tuesday morning!

You're right, Scientologists, much like anti-vaxxers haven't (generally) broken any laws, they just practice their right for freedom of religion/opinion; so on that note Mel Gibson and John Travolta should be taken off the list as well - as they *only* have the "yuck, you REALLY believe that?" factor rather than "my god, you're criminally insane"

Though, of course, the other way around: Oscar Wilde. Love the man, hate the art.

Kimon
08-11-2015, 06:58 AM

How familiar are you with Scientology? It is a criminal enterprise masquerading as a religion.

GonzoTheGreat
08-11-2015, 08:05 AM
How familiar are you with Scientology? It is a criminal enterprise masquerading as a religion.
It is a religion. Which, admittedly, is just a summary of what you said. :D

Kimon
08-11-2015, 08:14 AM
It is a religion. Which, admittedly, is just a summary of what you said. :D

All jokes aside, this is more than just a difference of time and numbers.

GonzoTheGreat
08-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Oh, I agree that from what we know of it, Scientology isn't anything other than a scam. Most other religions at least seem to have the grace that their founders believe what they're selling.

Daekyras
08-12-2015, 10:02 AM
"Drive for show, putt for dough"

Come on guys, you can get this one...

Ivhon
08-12-2015, 08:57 PM
"Drive for show, putt for dough"

Come on guys, you can get this one...

Tin Cup?

Daekyras
08-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Tin Cup?

Bingo!

You're pretty good at this Ivhon, your go!