PDA

View Full Version : The Settler Question

Kimon
07-31-2015, 12:18 AM
Yesterday the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that an expansion of the settlement at Beit El in the West Bank was illegal, as it was clearly on land owned by Palestinians, stolen from them without compensation. As a consequence, the military started demolition, but, predictably, Netanyahu, in a move reminiscent of Andrew Jackson, told his Supreme Court to piss off, and insisted that new constructions should start there immediately, the law be damned. Also predictably, this stoked the fires of violence to a dangerous pitch, that tonight has resulted in this horrific response from the settlers, an event that doubtless is making even Netanyahu quite nervous.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33729281

A Palestinian toddler has been burned to death in an arson attack by suspected Jewish settlers in the West Bank, Israeli police say.
The home where the 18-month-old boy and his family were sleeping was set on fire in the village of Kfar Douma near Nablus, local officials say.
The parents and the child's older brother were severely injured.
The attackers reportedly left graffiti near the house reading "revenge" in Hebrew.

I wish I could trust Netanyahu to actually do something, to actually bring the murderers to justice, and to finally crack down on the illegality of the settlements very existence itself. Even that might not be enough to stop this from being the spark that brings a new intifada to the West Bank.

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2015, 03:06 AM
The Israeli simply go on with their policy of gaining new Lebensraum for their supposedly superior race. Nothing new here; not really news at all.

Daekyras
07-31-2015, 04:58 AM
Why would any of the "settlers" want to move to that place?

By that I mean why would any sane, rational human being sign up for all the problems that will ensue?

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2015, 05:15 AM
Because it is cheap living (the settlers get heavily subsidized by the Israeli government), and the problems aren't really all that big for settlers; they get protection from the most powerful army in the region and they know it.

Davian93
07-31-2015, 07:57 AM

By that I mean why would any sane, rational human being sign up for all the problems that will ensue?

What Gonzo said and also because they're zealots/true believers just like Netanyahu. They're doing God's work in their minds to reclaim their sacred historic homeland, blah, blah blah.

The world might be a better place if the Holy Land were nuked out of existence.

Nazbaque
07-31-2015, 08:05 AM
What Gonzo said and also because they're zealots/true believers just like Netanyahu. They're doing God's work in their minds to reclaim their sacred historic homeland, blah, blah blah.

Now Dav that was a nazi thing to say. Then again if they keep behaving like that Hitler will be declared a saint in a couple of centuries.

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2015, 09:24 AM
I prefer my idea of having the Chinese start a pig farm on the Temple Mount, and promising to leave after all the locals have proven that they can live in peace with each other. I doubt the Chinese are mad enough to fall for this scheme, though, so the implementation is somewhat tricky.

Kimon
07-31-2015, 09:34 AM

Ideology. They want to claim and control all of what they consider Israel. It is why they constantly, with clear government-backed intent, create and expand these settlements throughout the West Bank. It is an assertion of this is ours. God gave it to us. Go away. Mine.

Kimon
08-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Netanyahu seemingly wants to send a message that he is actually cracking down on this. The response, and the methods used seem however very Dick Cheney...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33783057

Israel has taken the unusual step of jailing a suspected Jewish militant without trial following the death of a Palestinian infant in an arson attack.
Mordechai Meyer, a resident of a Jewish settlement in the West Bank, has been placed under administrative detention for six months.

Detention without trial is necessary, Israel says, to stop further violence in cases where there is not enough evidence to prosecute suspects, or where going to court would risk revealing the identity of secret informants.
Civil liberties groups have frequently criticised administrative detention orders as an abuse of due process of the law.
On Monday Israel said it could use harsh interrogation methods to tackle violent Jewish extremism, after the death of the Palestinian infant.
Interior Security Minister Gilad Erdan told Israel Radio that suspected Jewish extremists may be shaken violently in custody - a controversial treatment used on Palestinian suspects.

GonzoTheGreat
08-05-2015, 04:34 AM
I have to say that I think it is wrong to use such methods as administrative detention on anyone. Maybe it will make the Israeli worry about the fact that they apparently no longer have human rights; they could (and should) have realised that years ago already, when someone first suggested the possibility of locking up accused people without trial and with reduced protection from abuse.