PDA

View Full Version : we're all going to die!

yks 6nnetu hing
08-12-2015, 07:40 AM
linky (http://www.wired.com/2015/08/end-universe-slightly-premature-lament/), not that it's new or anything...

The End of the Universe: A (Slightly Premature) Lament

After a short, productive explosion of early activity, the universe has begun its long mope towards oblivion. To the extent that anything was ever important, it won’t be. Time, space, energy, matter—all gone.

What is to be done?

Scientists confirmed that nothing has any meaning in a paper presented at the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union in Honolulu on Monday, August 10. A team of researchers compared the energy in the light of over 200,000 galaxies across the cosmos, and the writing in the stars was clear: The universe has about half as much energy as it did 2 billion years ago.

The observable universe is empty space and dense packets of energy—stars, nebula, galaxies—and much more in dark, unknown particles. The laws of the universe say that all that energy will ebb toward homogeneity. Every particle in every star will burn out, and spread evenly across the breadth of space. Which should not be surprising. Lack of originality has always been considered the foremost quality of a steady state universe. “So what that means is the universe won’t be hospitable for life anywhere,” says John Beacom, a physicist at Ohio State University. “Not for our life in the Milky way, not anywhere else in any other galaxy. We’re clearly on this inexorable trend where they are all running out of fuel.”

If death is truly possible for something that never truly lived. “We’re using this metaphor of the death of the universe, I’m not entirely sure what that means,” says says Leonard Finkelman, a philosopher at Linfield University in Oregon. The metaphor of universal death then, comes back to our own human narcissistic need for meaning. Besides, death implies the end of time, but time (and its partner space) define the shape of the universe. When that shape is gone, those definitions cease to exist.

Anyway, do not be so bourgeoise about it. When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back at you. When you look into space, nothing looks back. All you see is space. And you don’t even see all the space! Most of it is completely, utterly, black. Superblack. NONE MORE BLACK. That’s space.

Yes, sure, it varies. Jupiter is massive and beautiful, Pluto is cold and tiny, creaking with geologic activity. But that’s all on a small scale. Life? Don’t talk to me about life. Absent evidence that it exists anywhere besides Earth, life here is a statistical anomaly. Insignificant. An outlier that you throw out of the dataset. Hell is other people, which is not a problem in space, because there are no other people out there.

Just the fact that you are alive now is a novelty, a signal that vanishes against the vast noise of cosmic space. You think cosmic spacetime cares whether you buy an iPad Mini or a Kindle Fire? It does not, my friend. Absurdity is born in this confrontation between your need for reason and the unreasonable silence of the universe. Camus understood astrophysics better than any of these guys.

The universe began at a point in place and time known as the Big Bang. But it exploded—the very first example of the center not holding. And now things are really falling apart.

The dynamics of how it exploded were such that everywhere you look has same distribution of stars, the same distribution of temperature, the same distribution of energy. How’s that for ennui, buddy? Same shit, different galactic supercluster. “We look at the universe and we see the same temperature in the microwave background. It implies that the whole universe was once in causal contact,” says Simon Driver, an astrophysicist at International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research in Australia, and co-author of the study. And like the meaning your life once held, that contact was lost.

Energy from galaxies further away is like a message from the past. “Imagine that we were receiving letters from galaxies, and imagine it takes two billion years for those envelopes to arrive,” says Driver. “Then imagine I open the envelope and it shows me how that galaxy felt two billion years ago.” And those letters were youthful and energetic, like the notes you passed in high school. Those letters make you cringe now, when you compare their youthful energy to your own weary, cynical present.

Likewise, when compared to the light emitted from our own tired stellar neighborhood, those ancient messages from faraway stars held a clear message: We’re all doomed.

That’s right: Everything you know and love, the entire universe of possible things, will be gone in 100 billion years. A trillion, tops.

Oh, but you’re snickering, like that’s so far away, you miserable flash of pretension-to-meaning. But in just 5 billion the sun will burn itself up, and take the inner solar system with it. “Suppose earthlings don’t annihilate each other for 5 billion years. We can probably get to other stars,” says Beacom. Then humanity have another 5 billion years to sit on the couch and watch reality television while swallowing its compulsion for self-destruction before having to move again. Because that’s when the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda Galaxy.

Will humanity find a new home amid the stars? No! Of course not. Human beings have never built anything that got farther than a few dozen light years, including I Love Lucy broadcasts. Even the search will be futile. According to this new study, every other galaxy in the universe will be petering out along with the Milky Way. “Eventually the universe is going to run out of stars that will supply enough energy for life,” says Beacom.

Nothing to be done.

“The universe will continue to exist,” says Finkelman. “It will have just entered a state of not producing any more energy.” This is the way the universe ends. Not with the bang that started it. Not even with a whimper. Only silence.

Of course, the black scenarios of global warming say that life on Earth will become unsustainable by 2100; so... you know, no point to worry about something that'll happen in a few billion years.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-12-2015, 07:47 AM
while we're on the topic, I saw this a few months ago. truly depressing :rolleyes:

http://infobeautiful3.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/05/1276_Timeline-of-the-Far-Future_May2015.png

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Ugh how can their minds be so limited? No wondering on where the energy is going or where the big bang came from. Not even a thought for extradimensional travel possibilities. So incapable for accepting the element of chaos and closing their minds to most of reality.

Daekyras
08-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Uh-Uh, not me.

I have this plan, see....

Khoram
08-12-2015, 10:16 AM
All I know is, when you're all long gone, I'll still be around. :p

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
All I know is, when you're all long gone, I'll still be around. :p

And you'll miss us every second of the day. We'll be exploring the beyond, resting in peace or no longer have anything to care with, but you'll be here trapped in eternal loneliness.

GonzoTheGreat
08-12-2015, 11:32 AM
And you'll miss us every second of the day. We'll be exploring the beyond, resting in peace or no longer have anything to care with, but you'll be here trapped in eternal loneliness.
Listening, all the while, to some elevator music, for which the off-switch has long since evaporated.

Khoram
08-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Listening, all the while, to some elevator music, for which the off-switch has long since evaporated.

And yet, I'll be able to see things nobody alive today will ever see. ;)

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Oh come on Gonzo. Don't take this to noir territory. That's worse than the emo wannabes.

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 11:38 AM
And yet, I'll be able to see things nobody alive today will ever see. ;)

Aren't you alive today?

Khoram
08-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Aren't you alive today?

Yes, but I'll still be around. I thought I made that clear. :confused:

You sir, are in the presence of an immortal. A god, even.

Or, you know, Snagglepuss. :rolleyes:

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Yes, but I'll still be around. I thought I made that clear. :confused:

You sir, are in the presence of an immortal. A god, even.

Or, you know, Snagglepuss. :rolleyes:

Then you can't see things seen by nobody alive today. Because you are alive today everything you see is seen by somebody alive today.

Khoram
08-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Because "today" is relative to the person doing the talking.

Jeez, Naz. You take all the fun out of everything. :rolleyes:

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Because "today" is relative to the person doing the talking.
More that the "nobody" also excluded you from seeing such things thus making the statement false by default.
Jeez, Naz. You take all the fun out of everything. :rolleyes:

I know. It's my mutant power. My x-man codename is "Killjoy".

Khoram
08-12-2015, 05:12 PM
I know. It's my mutant power. My x-man codename is "Killjoy".

Fire just comes as an added bonus, then.

Nazbaque
08-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Fire just comes as an added bonus, then.

Well that's not a result of the x-gene. I'm just weird.

Khoram
08-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Well that's not a result of the x-gene. I'm just weird.

Maybe it's a result of people reacting to the x-gene.

Nazbaque
08-13-2015, 02:14 AM
Maybe it's a result of people reacting to the x-gene.

Ah I should have said that it is not a direct result of the x-gene. And I thought of it in terms of how I am on fire not simply as just being on fire. My fire abilities are not x-gene related. People setting me on fire might sometimes be a reaction to my mutant power, but there have been many cases with different motivation and even when the case matches the result is of an indirect form.

Terez
08-13-2015, 04:22 AM
while we're on the topic, I saw this a few months ago. truly depressing :rolleyes:

x
I kept scrolling down, expecting the last thing to be "and all of our plastic waste is still there".

GonzoTheGreat
08-13-2015, 04:23 AM
As the graphic in post #2 says, your y-gene is gonna die out pretty soon. So then you would only have the x-gene left, and you would be half a woman.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-13-2015, 04:39 AM
As the graphic in post #2 says, your y-gene is gonna die out pretty soon. So then you would only have the x-gene left, and you would be half a woman.

which you technically are already...

GonzoTheGreat
08-13-2015, 05:37 AM
which you technically are already...
This seems a good place to quote Britney: "not a girl, not yet a woman".

Davian93
08-13-2015, 06:45 AM
At this point, I figure 50% of all Google hits for Britney are the result of Gonzo's posts...you're keeping her 15 minutes going buddy.

Khoram
08-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Somebody has to do it. :rolleyes:

GonzoTheGreat
08-13-2015, 07:46 AM
At this point, I figure 50% of all Google hits for Britney are the result of Gonzo's posts...you're keeping her 15 minutes going buddy.It isn't my fault, you're the one who is leaving Britney alone. I never understood why you obeyed that idiot in the youtube clip.

Mort
08-13-2015, 11:34 AM
I love the wired article. Beautifully written. His reference to centers not holding was nice.

Daekyras
08-13-2015, 03:46 PM
It isn't my fault, you're the one who is leaving Britney alone. I never understood why you obeyed that idiot in the youtube clip.

The panda? He was so compelling. Sneezing like that and then telling us to leave Britney alone.

Also, how much do you think Britney is worth? I was watching pointless and she was in the top ten biggest selling solo artists in the UK. Ever. Damn.

Khoram
08-13-2015, 04:18 PM
The panda? He was so compelling. Sneezing like that and then telling us to leave Britney alone.

Also, how much do you think Britney is worth? I was watching pointless and she was in the top ten biggest selling solo artists in the UK. Ever. Damn.

So if we take into consideration the exchange rate... she'd be worth £1000, which is pretty much several hundred million dollars. Granted, that's in Canadian dollars, so...

Zombie Sammael
08-13-2015, 09:54 PM
The x-gene was pretty much wiped out by the Scarlet Witch back in 2005.

I'm not sure how that contributes to the conversation, but I'm a bigger comic book nerd than the lot of you, so nyah.

Nazbaque
08-14-2015, 03:22 AM
The x-gene was pretty much wiped out by the Scarlet Witch back in 2005.

I'm not sure how that contributes to the conversation, but I'm a bigger comic book nerd than the lot of you, so nyah.

My power is level 7. I just took the fun out of it for Wanda by being immune.

Davian93
08-14-2015, 07:43 AM
So if we take into consideration the exchange rate... she'd be worth £1000, which is pretty much several hundred million dollars. Granted, that's in Canadian dollars, so...

I think the lesson learned by the Loonie's collapse is to vote Harper again.

Khoram
08-14-2015, 09:13 AM
I think the lesson learned by the Loonie's collapse is to vote Harper again.

Ugh. I can't stand him. How he got reelected is beyond me. And now that he's called an early election, it slows everything down, so I'm suffering a slowed down process of an already slow process.

Frustration levels are maxed out right now. -_-

Daekyras
08-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Ugh. I can't stand him. How he got reelected is beyond me. And now that he's called an early election, it slows everything down, so I'm suffering a slowed down process of an already slow process.

Frustration levels are maxed out right now. -_-

Since you are the youngest of our "prolific" posters I am going to assume you are not married.

Wait until that happens. Then you can talk about maxed out frustration!

Khoram
08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Since you are the youngest of our "prolific" posters I am going to assume you are not married.

Wait until that happens. Then you can talk about maxed out frustration!

Are you saying being married is more frustrating than waiting for the military to contact you? Or trying to contact them, but being unsuccessful most days you try contacting them? :p

And yes, I'm not married.

Daekyras
08-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Are you saying being married is more frustrating than waiting for the military to contact you? Or trying to contact them, but being unsuccessful most days you try contacting them? :p

And yes, I'm not married.

Yes, yes I am.

But I'm not gonna say too much as the ever lovely Mrs daek lurks here sometimes. ;) and of course I'm only joking...

Khoram
08-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Yes, yes I am.

Maybe I shouldn't get married, then. XD

GonzoTheGreat
08-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Maybe I shouldn't get married, then. XDYou could get married to Harper. Maybe the annoyances would then cancel out, or something.

Nazbaque
08-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Maybe I shouldn't get married, then. XD

You'd give up on a chance to frustrate someone to that degree?

Khoram
08-14-2015, 01:26 PM
You could get married to Harper. Maybe the annoyances would then cancel out, or something.

Good God, no. *shudder*

You'd give up on a chance to frustrate someone to that degree?

Who's saying I would be the one to do the frustrating?

Nazbaque
08-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Who's saying I would be the one to do the frustrating?

Marriage works both ways.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Well. This entire thread just bummed me out pretty much to the core.

Khoram
08-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Well. This entire thread just bummed me out pretty much to the core.

Yeah... The movie doesn't do much for me, either. :/

:D

Daekyras
08-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah... The movie doesn't do much for me, either. :/

:D

What? Don't Diss the core. Stanley tucci is great in it. And the science....oh god the science!

Davian93
08-17-2015, 11:09 AM
What? Don't Diss the core. Stanley tucci is great in it. And the science....oh god the science!

One of the most scientifically accurate movies ever made IMHO.

GonzoTheGreat
08-17-2015, 11:16 AM
One of the most scientifically accurate movies ever made IMHO.
Well, there is definitely something to be said about being scientific and being accurate, in regard to that film. I'm not quite sure I would have expressed it the way you did, but then, different people often say things slightly differently even when they mean the same thing.

Figbiscuit
08-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Based on yks' infograph in the second post, it's going to be quite a while before anything reeeally exciting happens.

Also it gets quite vague on timings lower down. I'd quite like it to be more specific please.

Khoram
08-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Based on yks' infograph in the second post, it's going to be quite a while before anything reeeally exciting happens.

Also it gets quite vague on timings lower down. I'd quite like it to be more specific please.

You'll just have to make sure you'll live that long so you can make it more specific. ;)

Figbiscuit
08-24-2015, 10:17 AM
You'll just have to make sure you'll live that long so you can make it more specific. ;)

You've seen my lifestyle, I've got no chance ;)

Khoram
08-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Maybe, contrary to popular belief, your lifestyle will allow you to live far longer than anybody living a "healthy" life. :p

GonzoTheGreat
08-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Using Bayesian probability, if you haven't died by now there should be 50% that you'll never die.

Khoram
08-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Using Bayesian probability, if you haven't died by now there should be 50% that you'll never die.

Yes, but can you expand on "by now"? By now from when? When does "by now" begin? When does it end?

GonzoTheGreat
08-25-2015, 04:02 AM
Yes, but can you expand on "by now"? By now from when? When does "by now" begin? When does it end?
No problem. There's obviously 50% chance that "by now" does not end, and if it does end, then that removes the problem too. So, whichever way it turns out, no problem. ;)