PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for podcasts?

Daekyras
08-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Hey guys,

Since I'm back running I've been burning through my podcast backlog.

Looking for something new. And it can be anything as long as it is high quality.

For example- last week a friend recommended a podcast called "critical hit" and didn't give me any hints about what it was about.

So I downloaded and listened to it. Turns out it was a dungeons and Dragons campaign. And I really enjoyed it. I never played that game but I may need to embrace my inner nerd! (He said as posting on a forum dedicated to fantasy novels).

So anyone have any fun, entertaining podcasts they could recommend?

The Unreasoner
08-26-2015, 06:36 PM
While I feel like a total tool admitting it, I like loveline.

Davian93
08-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Back running? You actually stopped for a bit again?

Daekyras
08-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Back running? You actually stopped for a bit again?

No- I hope to not stop again. It was so hard getting back into it a few months ago. I meant that since I've been back I've been going through a lot of podcasts. Something like 1 or two a day for three months!

That's why I'm looking for something new.

@unreasoner. I don't know what love line is but I'm gonna download one for tomorrow's jog. Ooh, I hope it's as corny as it sounds! (And it sounds like the call in show from sleepless in settle! !)

Davian93
08-26-2015, 08:18 PM
I wish riding was safe enough to do with music on...oh well. 3 dead VT cyclists in 4 months makes me leery.

Lupusdeusest
08-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Yeah, riding with ears in probably not a good idea.

I like Radio Free Skaro. I don't get much time to listen to it any more though.

Zombie Sammael
08-26-2015, 11:48 PM
On the other hand, when riding I quite like the ambient sounds: the birds singing, the rustle of the trees in the wind, the people leaning out of their cars screaming at me as they speed off into the distance...

Yeah, I wish I could ride with my ears in.

Daekyras
08-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Hahaha. I downloaded an episode of loveline.

its from March and featured rob corrdry as a guest. I liked "human giant" and "children's hospital" so when I saw his name I thought that could be a good introduction.

What the hell? This is basically a cross between fraiser and sleepless in seattle(connection??).

Is every episode like that because...Damn. ..Some of those callers have real problems. I did find it interesting but I'm not sure if I'd go again.

My favourite Australian said radio free ska ro. So that's for tomorrow night.

any other recommendations??

The Unreasoner
08-27-2015, 07:43 PM
The callers sometimes have some pretty heavy problems, but it's usually balanced somewhat by fun callers.

I listened to the one you downloaded. It seemed a little less 'fun' than the average show. The guests don't really set the tone, generally. Occasionally the show will be noticeably improved or otherwise by a guest, but more often than not the tone is a function of the open forum topic or the callers.

I like it because there's a lot of interesting callers, it's entertaining, and Dr. Drew and Catherwood really are trying to help people. Sometimes they succeed.

Daekyras
08-27-2015, 07:50 PM
The callers sometimes have some pretty heavy problems, but it's usually balanced somewhat by fun callers.

I listened to the one you downloaded. It seemed a little less 'fun' than the average show. The guests don't really set the tone, generally. Occasionally the show will be noticeably improved or otherwise by a guest, but more often than not the tone is a function of the open forum topic or the callers.

I like it because there's a lot of interesting callers, it's entertaining, and Dr. Drew and Catherwood really are trying to help people. Sometimes they succeed.

Oh, don't get me wrong- it was a good podcast. I have a second one downloaded and ready to go.

I was laughing because it was like the thing I thought it sounded like.

I really enjoy being surprised by the things I listen to and it certainly did that. Now that I know that they are more fun than that episode I might even stick it in my rotation.

There were two callers in particular that upset me (the girl from the nudist family who seemed like she had been abused as a child and the guy who was basically being bullied by his "friends").

The Unreasoner
08-27-2015, 08:06 PM
In general, I would download episodes where the open forum topic piqued my interest, rather than ones who have guests I like. I'll hear an episode with an actor who I like where he basically is just 'there', in a minimal sense...and then the next episode I listen to has some MMA fighter I've never heard of absolutely killing it.
There were two callers in particular that upset me (the girl from the nudist family who seemed like she had been abused as a child and the guy who was basically being bullied by his "friends").
Yeah. Sometimes it's just hard to hear, but the thing is, their lives were improved by calling.

Daekyras
08-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Yeah, riding with ears in probably not a good idea.

I like Radio Free Skaro. I don't get much time to listen to it any more though.

Out for a jog this evening- long and slow. Finished an episode of loveline and the next thing in line is radio free skaro.

Imagine my shock when it turns out to be a doctor who podcast!! I didn't realise something like this existed!!!

I actually enjoyed it. The guys are entertaining. I'm worried bout my street cred if anyone gets a hold of my playlist- loveline, dungeons and Dragons and now doctor who???

The Unreasoner
08-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Lol.

My personal playlist is rounded out a bit by the Freakonomics radio show (that you can just download) and Forum with Michael Krasny. The former I figured you already have heard of, and the latter may be a bit too local in scope. Though if the segment is with a scientist or author or artist (that you like), it's absolutely worth listening to. I think you can just download it, but I just listen to the live broadcast in the morning. But since a lot of the topics are local (California politics, gentrification in San Francisco, water) it may be something you add in an a la carte manner.

ETA:
I haven't been listening to Forum lately, but in the last two weeks they've done topics on the European migrant crisis, the culture at Bezos's Amazon, and the Chinese financial crisis. Considering who lives in the Bay Area, the last two are probably worth a listen. Though I don't expect a European to hear anything they don't already know about immigration (unless it's maybe an American/Latino-American perspective).

Lupusdeusest
08-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Out for a jog this evening- long and slow. Finished an episode of loveline and the next thing in line is radio free skaro.

Imagine my shock when it turns out to be a doctor who podcast!! I didn't realise something like this existed!!!

I actually enjoyed it. The guys are entertaining. I'm worried bout my street cred if anyone gets a hold of my playlist- loveline, dungeons and Dragons and now doctor who???

It's hilarious when they do episode commentary, particularly of an episode they all dislike. That's probably not the style for jogging (designed for simulwatching), but still hilarious.

Mort
08-31-2015, 05:48 AM
This American Life. Very good. Ira Glass is king.

Sometimes I listen to This Week in Tech (TWIT), they also have a video stream but I rarely watch it, I mainly listen to podcasts when about to sleep or traveling.

connabard
08-31-2015, 01:43 PM
I really enjoy Pete Holmes' podcast(You Made it Weird), though the episodes are LONG and if you're not a fan of Pete Holmes stand up you probably (I say probably because it's the same energy) won't like it

He describes the three main themes as Comedy, Sex, God, where he just generally converses with other comedians about their lives (and often his own) it's really funny and really interesting.

I also listen to If I Were You which is a "fake" advice podcast (they essentially just take questions from their listeners, and answer the worst people and often berate them) it's from two Collegehumor guys so it's pretty... lowbrow? Not sure if that's the correct term, but it's probably more so for people in their early to mid-twenties.

Daekyras
08-31-2015, 05:32 PM
This American Life. Very good. Ira Glass is king.

Sometimes I listen to This Week in Tech (TWIT), they also have a video stream but I rarely watch it, I mainly listen to podcasts when about to sleep or traveling.

You know, I've never listened to an edition of this american life. I know it's the most popular podcast in the world but I already subscribe to TED radio hour and it seems like it would tread the same path. And Guy Raz is an exceptional host.

I have heard it's great though.

Mort
09-01-2015, 07:20 AM
You know, I've never listened to an edition of this american life. I know it's the most popular podcast in the world but I already subscribe to TED radio hour and it seems like it would tread the same path. And Guy Raz is an exceptional host.

I have heard it's great though.

I forgot I had TED radio hour as well. It's great. I dig TED.