PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a baseball fan?

The Unreasoner
08-27-2015, 12:45 AM
Thought a lighter thread would be welcome.

The Mets are killing it, the Giants and Dodgers look to be destined to decide the winner of the division on the last day of the season (which I just think is awesome. Nothing gets my Giants going like an elimination game), and the NL Central is insane. I never liked Matheny much, but holy shit, he's built a hell of an organization. Lacks the class of SF, but what are you gonna do.

SF just beat the Cubs, who are like 8 games behind the Cardinals, but still ahead of the Dodgers and Mets. They really earned their spot in the playoffs. Which, they obviously have right now, but it's only August.

Oh, and the AL is also playing...

Daekyras
08-27-2015, 12:50 AM
Thought a lighter thread would be welcome.

The Mets are killing it, the Giants and Dodgers look to be destined to decide the winner of the division on the last day of the season (which I just think is awesome. Nothing gets my Giants going like an elimination game), and the NL Central is insane. I never liked Matheny much, but holy shit, he's built a hell of an organization. Lacks the class of SF, but what are you gonna do.

SF just beat the Cubs, who are like 8 games behind the Cardinals, but still ahead of the Dodgers and Mets. They really earned their spot in the playoffs. Which, they obviously have right now, but it's only August.

Oh, and the AL is also playing...

Baseball? That's like cricket yeah? Jolly!

The Unreasoner
08-27-2015, 12:51 AM
I just hope Sodas isn't from LA, or there will never be peace...

Tamyrlin
08-27-2015, 02:31 AM
...for a Back to the Future II Cubs sweep of the World Series.

Technically, while from Chicago, I haven't really been following baseball since I played baseball as a kid. In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a full baseball game on television...but I can imagine myself doing so if the Cubs get closer.

Khoram
08-27-2015, 08:30 AM

Technically, while from Chicago, I haven't really been following baseball since I played baseball as a kid. In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a full baseball game on television...but I can imagine myself doing so if the Cubs get closer.

Likewise. I played as a kid, but I haven't sat through an entire game, or really thought about baseball, in years. I miss it. I should definitely try to get back into it, although it's difficult - especially considering my Expos are no more, and have been for some time. :( Hopefully we'll manage to bring them back.

How 'bout them Blue Jays, eh?

Ozymandias
08-27-2015, 09:14 AM
The Mets are killing it,

For now. They will find some new and creative way to totally destroy all the goodwill they've built up over the last month./

Davian93
08-27-2015, 09:25 AM
For now. They will find some new and creative way to totally destroy all the goodwill they've built up over the last month./

Its not like they have a history of massive choke jobs or anything. Other than 2007, 2008...

GonzoTheGreat
08-27-2015, 09:42 AM
I've heard of "passing first base", "passing second base" and so forth. It is not really difficult to imagine what "being a baseball fan" means to Americans.

The Unreasoner
08-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Oh, they absolutely will. Though they're still ahead of the Nationals. And I like to see them do well, I see them as sort of a sister team to the Giants. And they gave us Pagan. They actually are very good about sharing talent with other teams, lol.

Still, following SF was torture for fifty years. Now they are biannual champions (and, for the first odd year since 03, serious contenders). The Mets are bound to get it right eventually. Or at least get lucky. You may need to see some changes in the front office first though. We have Bochy and Sabean, and some of the best coaches any team has ever had. Even when we sucked, we had Dusty Baker.

ShadowbaneX
08-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Likewise. I played as a kid, but I haven't sat through an entire game, or really thought about baseball, in years. I miss it. I should definitely try to get back into it, although it's difficult - especially considering my Expos are no more, and have been for some time. :( Hopefully we'll manage to bring them back.

How 'bout them Blue Jays, eh?

I haven't paid attention to be ball since hockey came back to Ottawa. I'm still waiting for the Toronto team to choke.

WinespringBrother
08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
#LetsGoMets! #hatersgonnahate

Wouldn't that be something?

Oh, they absolutely will. Though they're still ahead of the Nationals. And I like to see them do well, I see them as sort of a sister team to the Giants. And they gave us Pagan. They actually are very good about sharing talent with other teams, lol.

Still, following SF was torture for fifty years. Now they are biannual champions (and, for the first odd year since 03, serious contenders). The Mets are bound to get it right eventually. Or at least get lucky. You may need to see some changes in the front office first though. We have Bochy and Sabean, and some of the best coaches any team has ever had. Even when we sucked, we had Dusty Baker.

Ramirez and Torres were just horrendous for the Mets. But Wheeler turned out to not be so bad :P

Khoram
08-27-2015, 04:16 PM
I haven't paid attention to be ball since hockey came back to Ottawa. I'm still waiting for the Toronto team to choke.

The Jays were doing really well, nipping at the heels of the Yankees for a while. Haven't looked since (I'm frankly more anxious for hockey to start back up right now), but I think they're still doing pretty well.

Kimon
08-27-2015, 04:36 PM
The Jays were doing really well, nipping at the heels of the Yankees for a while. Haven't looked since (I'm frankly more anxious for hockey to start back up right now), but I think they're still doing pretty well.

Toronto is still still on top of the AL East. I love baseball, but I have to admit, I follow it closer when the Tigers are doing well. Sad that the window has closed on their chances. I was a bit too young to really remember the Tigers winning in '84, but I do remember going to a lot of Tigers' games as a kid in the late 80s. then they completely fell apart for most of the 90s. Then the recent stretch - so many consecutive playoff runs, but always coming up short.

At least college football season is starting soon, though I think Michigan is at least another year away from righting that ship...

Daekyras
08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
I joined a fantasy baseball league run by Sini one year. I hadn't a clue. Let the draft work automatically and managed to get a good team. I rarely looked at it bit nearly made the playoffs.

Fun times!

Zombie Sammael
08-27-2015, 07:33 PM

It's actually more like rounders. Which as we all know is for girls*.

*Says the guy who always used to prefer rounders to cricket at school...

Ozymandias
08-28-2015, 10:59 AM

The Mets have just been crushed by bad ownership. I know Omar Minaya took a ton of flak, some of it deserved, but it can't be denied that he helped turned the Mets and SNY into more of a financial powerhouse than they had been. And while a lot of the criticism was directed at his, um... preference for Latino players, I think that was probably a smart branding move as well. They just got stuck with bad coaches and bad luck.

I think Sandy Alderson is brilliant, however, and Terry Collins is the right guy for this team. Maybe in two or three years, when the young guys are vets and the team knows its own rhythms, they can bring in a more dynamic coach, but right now the steady hand is the most valuable thing.

But seriously... f**k the Wilpons.

Davian93
08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Minaya honestly wasn't the big issue with the Mets, he was just a frontman for the owners. He didnt really have much authority the last few years and it was an open secret that he basically held the title and nothing more. Amaro in Philly is in a very similar position with Gillick running things behind the scenes as Team President and now Andy MacPhail coming as part of their transition...that's a big part of why their FO started to make sense again after the idiotic 2008-2013 moves that Rube made driving a powerhouse with a great farm coming off a WS win into the ground better than that suicidal pilot did in the Alps a couple months ago.

The Mets getting destroyed financially by the Madoff scandal basically turned them into a mid-market club for the better part of a decade too so they were artifically weakened on top of that series of bad moves by ownership*. Alderson is one of the best baseball minds in the business (I'd only put a handful of guys like maybe Dombrowski, Gillick and/or Beane ahead of him)...though on Beane, that Josh Donaldson trade has to be haunting him at this point...ouch.

*Sidenote here on bad moves by ownership...deferring Bonilla's contract over a decade and paying him through infinity seemed like such a great move at the time for them because they were averaging a 12% annual return thanks to their brilliant financial advisor Bernie Madoff....oops.

Still, as a Phillies fan without much to hold onto, I'll still make fun of that decision as well as the 2007 and 2008 collapses that gave my team the division each time and a WS in 2008. HAHAHAHA!!!

Oh, and I hope the Mets stadium implodes with them in it...especially David Wright.***

***Comment not meant to be taken seriously...that implosion might hurt some innocent workers in and around the stadium and not just evil Mets players.

Davian93
08-28-2015, 11:15 AM
I joined a fantasy baseball league run by Sini one year. I hadn't a clue. Let the draft work automatically and managed to get a good team. I rarely looked at it bit nearly made the playoffs.

Fun times!

I'm in a couple Fantasy Baseball (FBB) leagues for fun (read: money) and in one of them, the guy who has literally made ZERO moves all year for his roster is winning his division by 55 games right now and has the best overall record by like 45 games (Its a category scoring league, not points if that helps for those that do fantasy sports).

His team is basically the 1927 Yankees of Fantasy Baseball...its insane.

The Unreasoner
08-28-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm in a couple Fantasy Baseball (FBB) leagues for fun (read: money) and in one of them, the guy who has literally made ZERO moves all year for his roster is winning his division by 55 games right now and has the best overall record by like 45 games (Its a category scoring league, not points if that helps for those that do fantasy sports).

His team is basically the 1927 Yankees of Fantasy Baseball...its insane.
Who does he have?

The Unreasoner
08-28-2015, 11:26 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/assets/images/3/7/8/90884378/cuts/Pence_CarriedYou_s0sdsclj_lznrdev9.jpg

Ozymandias
09-08-2015, 05:20 PM
I may have Foretelling... see Metropolitans, the New York.

Imploding in (nearly) unprecedented and creative ways!

The Unreasoner
09-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Lol. They're running out of time to screw this up...they may have to suffer a well-deserved strong showing in the playoffs.

WinespringBrother
09-10-2015, 07:50 AM

Don't forget how Elaida's foretellings worked out (especially for her) :p

ShadowbaneX
09-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Nah, you want to see, Leafs of the Maple Tree, Toronto for that one.

I do want to say that impressed the Jays have imploded yet. That's quite surprising...and all over every sports news cast EVERYWHERE.

Frenzy
09-11-2015, 12:27 AM
Fuck the Giants.

Sincerely, an A's fan.

(who isn't paying attention this year, but still: fuck the Giants. Sincerely, a South Bay A's fan)

The Unreasoner
09-11-2015, 12:40 AM
Fuck the Giants.

Sincerely, an A's fan.

(who isn't paying attention this year, but still: fuck the Giants. Sincerely, a South Bay A's fan)
You'll get the territory rights when Hell freezes over, not before.

In all seriousness, we're strong enough to allow the move. But we don't have to, so we won't. A few of the owners are hardliners.

Selig loved the A's, was a friend of the management, and thought the move was necessary for the A's to remain viable contenders and...nothing came of it.

The Giants hold all the cards here.

Frenzy
09-11-2015, 02:48 AM
The A's fucked up when they ceded their shared rights to the South Bay to the Giants back in the 80s, when the Giants were looking to move and the A's let it go for the good of the league and to keep the Giants in the Bay Area.

Personally, i say the Giants should follow through on their promise to move to the South Bay (which was their premise for the rights) or give up those rights. But since they already built their own stadium in SF, and the land they were looking at putting their new stadium on is currently occupied by Levi's Stadium, i don't see it happening.

So, fuck the Giants.

Mort
09-11-2015, 05:18 AM
Not a baseball fan. Never understood the sport. But Football is BACK! Pats win, and Gronk does what Gronk does best. Love it.

Also hoping to win my fantasy league this year, we'll see :P

GonzoTheGreat
09-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Not a baseball fan. Never understood the sport.
Baseball is fairly easy to understand:
You're handed a big club. With that, you are not allowed to hit your opponents. All the rest is sort of optional.

Not, I'll grant you, a particularly exciting sport, but still fairly easy to understand.

Davian93
09-11-2015, 06:22 AM
You'll get the territory rights when Hell freezes over, not before.

In all seriousness, we're strong enough to allow the move. But we don't have to, so we won't. A few of the owners are hardliners.

Selig loved the A's, was a friend of the management, and thought the move was necessary for the A's to remain viable contenders and...nothing came of it.

The Giants hold all the cards here.

Exactly what Frenzy already said but the Giants refusing to give those rights back is utter BS and a pathetic clownshoes move by a team that already is overflowing in cash as it is.

Davian93
09-11-2015, 06:23 AM
Baseball is fairly easy to understand:
You're handed a big club. With that, you are not allowed to hit your opponents. All the rest is sort of optional.

Not, I'll grant you, a particularly exciting sport, but still fairly easy to understand.

Says the guy whose national sport involves super massively exciting 1-0 games for the most part or, if we're really lucky, a 0-0 draw after 90 min.

Woohoo for excitement.

And I actually like soccer.

GonzoTheGreat
09-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Says the guy whose national sport involves super massively exciting 1-0 games for the most part or, if we're really lucky, a 0-0 draw after 90 min.
Not true. While it is true that our team (one of the best in the world, based on achievement in the last World Cup) just got thrashed with 1-0 by Iceland, a country that has to struggle to find 11 men with time to temporarily stop fishing and go kick a ball, we managed to lose a few days later with 3-0 against Turkey.

The Unreasoner
09-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Exactly what Frenzy already said but the Giants refusing to give those rights back is utter BS and a pathetic clownshoes move by a team that already is overflowing in cash as it is.
As I've pointed out, the Giants' ownership structure is a relatively uncommon one. So even if the players, the management, the fans, the MLB, and half of the owners of the Giants wanted to allow the move, they could not. Holding that fact against the entire Giants organization is silly.

Davian93
09-11-2015, 07:29 PM
As I've pointed out, the Giants' ownership structure is a relatively uncommon one. So even if the players, the management, the fans, the MLB, and half of the owners of the Giants wanted to allow the move, they could not. Holding that fact against the entire Giants organization is silly.

MLB should simply overrule them to be honest...the As gave it up as an act of good faith so they should come to at least some sort of compromise. Its utter garbage what's going on there. Way worse than issues the Nats have had with Peter Angelos and the Orioles...and that is just awful too (albeit a bit funny as a Phillies fan).

The Unreasoner
09-13-2015, 04:47 PM
MLB should simply overrule them to be honest...
I don't think they can...or at least, not without a majority of the teams's (I think that's grammatically correct) support. And as long as the Giants treat exclusive rights in the South Bay as a thing they want to keep, you won't get a majority. If management comes out in favor of a deal with the A's, you could probably get the majority of teams you need to overrule the hardliners in the SF ownership, but the key word here is 'probably'. Without management's support, other teams will worry about their relationship with the Giants (and we have one of the best farm systems and some of the best coaches in the game), but even with management's support it's not a sure thing (and it will invite chaos into the Giants' structure either way).

Davian93
09-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Who does he have?

He just got knocked out in the semi-final round after all his pitchers crapped the bed...but here was his rotation to start. Its a 10 team league with 4 SP and 2 RP and he had the following:

SP Clayton Kershaw
SP Chris Archer
SP Sonny Gray
SP Jacob DeGrom
RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Glen Perkins

Just insanely ridiculous...all 4 are legit SP1s and his closers were 2 of the very best in baseball this year for FBB.

His lineup wasn't as good but it was still just very solid. He dominated every week on that rotation and ended up with a final record of 286-155-43 (.635). The next highest winning percentage in the league was .508 to put it in perspective. He won his division by 64.5 games.

And then promptly lost in the semis. FBB is a cruel mistress.

Ozymandias
09-30-2015, 04:54 PM

No better sport to watch in person, though, except maybe hockey. Slow enough that you can sit and chat and have an enjoyable game day experience (also the large number of games and big outdoor stadia make tickets affordable). But when things happen, they are pretty obviously telegraphed, so no danger of missing anything. And the weather is generally good.

Unlike, say, basketball, where one is forced to watch the entire game closely less you miss one of the five exciting things that happen in the first 46 minutes but in which the vast majority of the game is spent standing around surveying the court. Or football, where the 5 seconds of action on every play is sandwiched between 40 seconds of standing around. Or commercials.

Hockey, however, is awesome.

GonzoTheGreat
10-01-2015, 03:47 AM
In hockey, every player is handed a big club with which he's not allowed to hit the others. Ice hockey is about the same, but without that last complication. Which does make it even more exiting to watch, I admit.

The Unreasoner
10-10-2015, 01:49 AM
Let's go Mets!

Watching the Giants' sister team take the Dodgers out of the playoffs will make me so happy. And they're off to a great start.

And if they can take down the Cardinals (granted, a big if), the Word Series is theirs. The AL has nothing. A well deserved honor for a solid team whose fans have suffered enough.

The Unreasoner
10-20-2015, 10:51 PM
So, who are people rooting for? The Mets are a blast to watch, and seem like a really classy group. The Blue Jays are stealing signs, while the Royals are once again playing excellent modern baseball, and they've got their October pants on. The Cubs look like a winning team from a decade ago. Which is great, but modern baseball is different. Bullpens are better, catchers are smarter, guys are quicker. Like the Giants.

Anyway: Go Mets! And Royals, I suppose. Here's to a Mets team as world champions, after 7 great games with the Royals.

If the Royals take 3 again, next year will be amazing. They will be hungry, and play with heats of fire. And the Giants will see them again, and maybe finally earn the dynasty designation.

ETA:
Why do I always get logged out when I make long posts? I could just have a thread open and not click anything for twenty minutes and would still be logged in if I click reply. But if I spend five minutes writing a post, I had better remember to ctrl-a/ctrl-c, because I will almost certainly get logged out. Though, bizarrely, the posts usually still get through most of the time.

Davian93
10-21-2015, 06:36 AM
Do you click "Remember Me" when you log-in?

If not, it tends to time out just like you said.

Frenzy
10-21-2015, 08:54 PM
i was vaguely hoping it'd be the Cubs vs. the Blue Jays, which means it'll be the Mets vs. the Royals.

i am poison to professional sports teams.

Terez
10-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Poor Marie managed to get tickets to tomorrow night's game. Now it seems there's not going to be one.