PDA

View Full Version : Perry, now Walker - who's next?

Terez
09-21-2015, 04:17 PM
I didn't expect Walker to drop out so soon, despite his money problems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/21/scott-walker-suspends-presidential-campaign/

The Unreasoner
09-21-2015, 04:24 PM
My money's on Graham being the next big name to drop out.

Terez
09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Maybe. But he's in a weird position in that he has nothing to lose by staying in. He's not really campaigning yet.

The Unreasoner
09-21-2015, 05:33 PM
I think running a weak Presidential campaign damages long-term credibility. Scott Walker looked like a joke when he was in the race. Now he'll be able to be almost a 'voice of reason' in two months, when people forget about what a joke he was.

Meanwhile no one takes Santorum seriously. I think it's because he continued his campaign in 2012 long past the point of viability (and he was never a particularly strong candidate), so it almost seems like he's running as a publicity stunt.

Terez
09-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Santorum did fairly well overall, better than anyone expected in the beginning, because he was the fall-back candidate for evangelical voters like my father. He tried to expand that base this time by appealing to the 99%, but that hasn't been working for him so far.

Davian93
09-21-2015, 07:37 PM
My money's on Graham being the next big name to drop out.

I disagree...if only because Graham isn't a big name.

Davian93
09-21-2015, 07:39 PM
I think running a weak Presidential campaign damages long-term credibility. Scott Walker looked like a joke when he was in the race. Now he'll be able to be almost a 'voice of reason' in two months, when people forget about what a joke he was.

Meanwhile no one takes Santorum seriously. I think it's because he continued his campaign in 2012 long past the point of viability (and he was never a particularly strong candidate), so it almost seems like he's running as a publicity stunt.

Walker looks like an utter joke now so I'd disagree there too. Santorum and Pataki will probably drop out soon too. Neither is even getting 1% and they have no natural base anymore. Gilmore too maybe...not that he's even getting any attention at all and has zero money.

What an utter clusterfuck of a race for the GOP nomination.

Kimon
09-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Walker looks like an utter joke now so I'd disagree there too. Santorum and Pataki will probably drop out soon too. Neither is even getting 1% and they have no natural base anymore. Gilmore too maybe...not that he's even getting any attention at all and has zero money.

Gilmore or Pataki both seem safe guesses. Or Bobby Jindal. Santorum will at least wait until after Iowa. If he doesn't do well there, he'll be done. Gilmore, Pataki, and Jindal all seem unlikely to survive until then. The question with Graham may be does he try to stick around until South Carolina's primary, or bow out before it, to avoid potential (probable?) embarrassment.

The Unreasoner
09-21-2015, 07:51 PM

It's at least fun to watch. I agree Walker looks like a joke now, but in two months he'll be able to endorse someone and the Republican establishment will treat him as if he was a serious contender who dropped out for the good of the party.

Davian93
09-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Gilmore or Pataki both seem safe guesses. Or Bobby Jindal. Santorum will at least wait until after Iowa. If he doesn't do well there, he'll be done. Gilmore, Pataki, and Jindal all seem unlikely to survive until then. The question with Graham may be does he try to stick around until South Carolina's primary, or bow out before it, to avoid potential (probable?) embarrassment.

Did Jindal ever unsuspend his campaign after the whole shooting thing? I mean, he's polling below 1% and nobody takes volcano boy seriously.

Kimon
09-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Did Jindal ever unsuspend his campaign after the whole shooting thing? I mean, he's polling below 1% and nobody takes volcano boy seriously.

Yeah, though admittedly I had to turn to google to remember what you were talking about.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/07/bobby_jindal_resumes_president.html

He did apparently make the tactical decision recently to say he could stomach the idea of a Muslim president it they swore an oath on the Bible...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bobby-jindal-vote-for-muslim_56002233e4b00310edf7c308

"If you can find me a Muslim candidate who is a Republican, who will fight hard to protect religious liberty, who will respect the Judeo-Christian heritage of America, who will be committed to destroying ISIS and radical Islam, who will condemn cultures that treat women as second class citizens and who will place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution, then yes, I will be happy to consider voting for him or her," Jindal said.

Terez
09-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Before Walker dropped out, I figured that Gilmore, Pataki, and Jindal were next. But that's low-hanging fruit in terms of guesses. Walker's decision should be a wake-up call for candidates hanging from the bottom rung.

GonzoTheGreat
09-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Maybe all the Republican candidates will drop out. Wouldn't that be fun?