PDA

View Full Version : Rand sends Perrin to deal with Masema?!?!

meta1234
10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Hey guys, I am back with another question about something Rand did that makes literally no sense to me.

The other points I asked about in my other thread the people here gave some great answers for, changing my mind completely on a couple and at least making me realise my thoughts on a couple weren't as clear cut as I first thought... So here goes...

Rand knows that Masema is completely insane, causing absolute havoc and destruction because people aren't faithful enough to the Light given flesh and whatnot.

Clearly the only person in the world who can actually control Masema is himself, but fortunately for him this control would be absolute, Masema is crazy enough to stick a knife in himself if Rand told him to and Rand knows this.

Rand can Travel, meaning that the excuse of having to go a long distance and this taking lots of time can't be used. He can probably finish this trip within a couple of days if he goes by himself, or maybe a couple of Asha'man bodyguards if needed, but he is going into safe territory anyway. Also, even if he thought they might turn on him, no one there can channel and he could easily protect himself and just Travel away if necessary.

So, knowing all this Rand thinks it will be a good idea to send Perrin off to reason with him rather than maybe spend a day or two doing it himself?

Am I missing something here? This seems like the stupidest decision ever, to the extent where I reckon even RJ knew it was dumb but just did it for the sake of starting another plot line.

Also I know he sets Perrin the task of speaking to Alliandre on the way, but Perrin could have done that by himself while Rand went off to deal with Masema, so that really doesn't explain anything.

The Unreasoner
10-07-2015, 05:34 PM
It's important to remember that Rand really is pushing the bounds of sanity at this point. And Sammael and Asmodean are (in his mind) active threats. Masema could be bait for a clever trap, as far as Rand knows. The Forsaken are certainly capable of such things.

Sending Perrin away is as much to keep him safe as it is to deal with Masema. And the Pattern itself may have been pressing for Perrin to be in the area around Ghealdan and Amadicia for some higher purpose.

Khoram
10-07-2015, 08:21 PM
And Rand knows just as well as anybody else that Perrin is ta'veren. And a strong one at that. Who's to say that Perrin wouldn't be able to sway Masema? Stranger things have happened.

Davian93
10-07-2015, 08:24 PM
And Rand knows just as well as anybody else that Perrin is ta'veren. And a strong one at that. Who's to say that Perrin wouldn't be able to sway Masema? Stranger things have happened.

I pretty much think that's the idea here...he's got Mat going in one direction to deal with one issue and then he needs another ta'varen to take care of his other issue.

Rand be a bit cra-cra but he understands the affect that ta'averen can have.

Note he does send Ashaman and Wise Ones with Perrin so at least its not completely stupid.

Khoram
10-07-2015, 08:38 PM
And he's got a pretty sizable force himself.

Rand al'Fain
10-08-2015, 12:14 AM
And a sword wielding Tinker!

You know, out of context, that just sounds weird.

Weird Harold
10-08-2015, 12:31 AM
Rand knows that Masema is completely insane, causing absolute havoc and destruction because people aren't faithful enough to the Light given flesh and whatnot.

Masema is crazy enough to decide that Rand is NOT the Lord Dragon and try to kill him. Given Rand's power as a ta'veren, even a small chance of Masema turning against him is a very real concern.

Perrin is also ta'veren but not as strongly as Rand and much less likely to destroy Ghealdan if things go badly. (As noted above, Rand isn't exactly wound tightly at this point and is constantly worried about losing control and going completely "mad.") Perrin is also known to Masema as a close confidant of Rand's so is a logical low-key messenger.

Nazbaque
10-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Rand is looking at the bigger picture. He doesn't want Masema dead, he wants him and his nutjob army fighting shadowspawn at the Last Battle. But he has too much on his plate to deal with him personally. That much he tells Perrin, but simply having a ta'veren in the area will calm a lot of the local chaos. The local armies that are bound to fight the dragon sworn must also be brought under his banner. Masema is the excuse Rand gives Perrin.

Terez
10-08-2015, 03:46 AM
Hey guys, I am back with another question about something Rand did that makes literally no sense to me.
Harriet's chapter titles are good to pay attention to for stuff like this, the themes of primary importance which aren't exactly in your face:

Karldin tugged at Loialís sleeve. "We have to go," he said, glaring at Perrin. Anyone the Dragon Reborn shouted at was outside the gates so far as he was concerned. Perrin wondered whether he was holding the Power right then.

"Yes, yes," Loial murmured, waving a ham-sized hand, but he leaned on his axe, frowning pensively. "I donít like this, Perrin. Rand chases you away. He sends me off. How Iím to finish my book... " His ears twitched, and he coughed. "Well, thatís neither here nor there. But you, me, and the Light only knows where Mat is. Heíll send Min away next. He hid from her, this morning. He sent me out to tell her he wasnít there. I think she knew I was lying. Heíll be alone, then, Perrin. 'It's terrible to be alone.' That's what he said to me. He is planning to send all of his friends away."
Rand sent all of his friends away because he was scared that he would hurt them (highlighted in this passage by Perrin's uneasiness with Karldin). In a few cases, he assigned them to do things that he didn't want to face himself. Masema was definitely one of those things.

But Rand's state of mind when he sent Perrin away was specifically centered around his belief that he had raped Min. They found out about Herid Fel's death in chapter 19, "Diamonds and Stars". They comforted one another. Rand promptly went crazy because he thought that he had raped Min. "To Be Alone" was chapter 27. Chapter 33, "A Bath", shows exactly how out of his mind Rand was, until Min came in and set him straight about this "rape" thing. Perrin was already gone by then. I used to have this quote in my sig:

"I am the Dragon Reborn," he whispered at the walls sometimes, and sometimes shouted at them. "I am the Dragon Reborn!" Silently and aloud he raged at those who opposed him, the blind fools who could not see and those who refused to see, for ambition or avarice or fear. He was the Dragon Reborn, the only hope of the world against the Dark One. And the Light help the world for it.

Davian93
10-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Rand is looking at the bigger picture. He doesn't want Masema dead, he wants him and his nutjob army fighting shadowspawn at the Last Battle. But he has too much on his plate to deal with him personally. That much he tells Perrin, but simply having a ta'veren in the area will calm a lot of the local chaos. The local armies that are bound to fight the dragon sworn must also be brought under his banner. Masema is the excuse Rand gives Perrin.

Learning how to delegate is a skill every good leader/manager should learn. You simply CAN NOT do it all.

If anything...Min raped Rand. I never heard him say yes. And given his typical victims guilt afterward, its pretty clear she should be prosecuted for her vicious act.

greatwolf
10-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Learning how to delegate is a skill every good leader/manager should learn. You simply CAN NOT do it all.

If anything...Min raped Rand. I never heard him say yes. And given his typical victims guilt afterward, its pretty clear she should be prosecuted for her vicious act.

Thumbs up on both. Masema hated Rand before he started preaching the Dragon. And sending Perrin away made sense. He wanted Perrin in reserve for another rescue.

The Unreasoner
10-08-2015, 04:33 PM
While I think the question has mostly been answered, the OP has a fair point. It's not just a question of Perrin's capability. It's also about resource allocation. If Rand could solve the issue in a day or two, does it make sense to send Perrin, who might take months?

As for ta'veren: I wonder how good the Forsaken's knowledge of their nature and abilities is. I think (with the exception of Ishamael) the average Aes Sedai might be better informed.

GonzoTheGreat
10-09-2015, 04:49 AM
Then again, ta'veren not only influence others, but also themselves. That's how Mat picked up his dagger, for instance. So it may be that the Pattern was pushing Perrin into this route, and Rand simply got caught up in it.

greatwolf
10-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Then again, ta'veren not only influence others, but also themselves. That's how Mat picked up his dagger, for instance. So it may be that the Pattern was pushing Perrin into this route, and Rand simply got caught up in it.

Why should the job have taken Perrin months if Faile had not been captured and Masema refused to Travel?

The Unreasoner
10-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Why should the job have taken Perrin months if Faile had not been captured and Masema refused to Travel?
Weeks, then. He still had to find and talk to Alliandre, then find Masema. And march there. The Aiel are fast, but the whole party probably did less than 20 miles a day.

You might want to edit your comment. He hasn't read that far.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-09-2015, 02:04 PM

got that for you greatwolf

greatwolf
10-10-2015, 02:06 AM
got that for you greatwolf

Thanks, forgot. :o

greatwolf
10-10-2015, 02:16 AM
Weeks, then. He still had to find and talk to Alliandre, then find Masema. And march there. The Aiel are fast, but the whole party probably did less than 20 miles a day.

Thanks. But even Rand couldn't have brought order to Gheldan in a day or two. Masema and his bands had to be dealt with, the seanchan in Amadicia, and the Shaido parties dispersed by Sammael. Rand wanted taveren, so whatever Perrin did and wherever that led shouldbe fine with him.