PDA

View Full Version : Weird Pets?

Kimon
10-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Apparently a pet raccoon was seen being walked on a leash and on the tube in London. Not sure what would possess someone to want such a mischievous wild animal as a pet, but then I had a housemate one year in college who had a pet iguana (a disgusting creature, which smelled awful), and another, a different year, who had a pet rat, which was also really disgusting. Anyone here have questionable pets? I know Dav has (had?) chickens, but not sure if he would really consider those pets so much as livestock.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-34618294

Khoram
10-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Not so much me, but one of my former science teachers had a pet ferret, and would bring it into class very often. It smelled absolutely awful.

Kimon
10-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Not so much me, but one of my former science teachers had a pet ferret, and would bring it into class very often. It smelled absolutely awful.

Ferrets still seem borderline normal. Definitely better than say any reptile-type pet. Still kind of strange, but not wtf is wrong with you level strange. Not really sure where'd I'd put the raccoon on that scale. Definitely still a wtf, but not as bad as a snake, rat, or iguana.

Here's a cute video of another similar level weird type pet as the ferret - a fennec fox (here playing with the ideal pet - a cat):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyhnFzLUtPA

Watching these are kind of making me want a pet fox...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6yIgG6sw_k

Khoram
10-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Fennec foxes are just weird to look at.

I would love to get a wolf-dog hybrid. :D

Terez
10-23-2015, 05:12 PM
I had a pet spider this summer. She wented awai.

Davian93
10-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Ferrets have a very strong rodent smell...even "domesticated" ones always have that stench.

Khoram
10-23-2015, 06:48 PM
My sister used to have Degus - Chilean climbing squirrels. She also had had several mice - the most recent one is still alive after 4 years. Which is pretty impressive.

Rand al'Fain
10-23-2015, 07:54 PM
I've known people to have snakes, lizards, and even a piranha as pets (all different people, FYI). And one time I knew a person that had a pot-bellied pig. Fat, destructive, and annoying. Another person had a parakeet. And before he died, my great grandpa had a large outdoor/indoor bird cage with pigeons, parakeets, and even a pheasant at one point. The outdoor part was on top of a building/garage converted into a workshop with the inside part in a room closed off from the inside, but with a door on the outside to bring in feed and occasionally take out a dead bird.

Ivhon
10-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Pet-sat a friend's 7-foot boa one summer in NYC. Would take him for a shit Sunday mornings just as church was getting out. One weekend I stayed at a friend's with AC and the snake got out of his cage with my apartment window open...

The Unreasoner
10-23-2015, 11:58 PM
I've only ever had dogs. Awesome pets. And while I may have questions for soneone with a nontraditional pet, I don't think less of them unless they own a cat. Disgusting creatures that destroy ecosystems and kill for fun, only permitted to live because the weakest and stupidest among us find them cute. Fucking sociopaths.

GonzoTheGreat
10-24-2015, 03:11 AM
I had a pet spider this summer. She wented awai.In that case, it was probably a he rather than a she. He went looking for a she; that's what male spiders apparently do in autumn. The shes wait for potential meals (mates; whatever) to come to them.

Ferrets have a very strong rodent smell...even "domesticated" ones always have that stench.
Somewhat strange, since ferrets aren't rodents at all. Maybe it is camouflage.

Terez
10-24-2015, 04:30 AM
I've only ever had dogs. Awesome pets. And while I may have questions for soneone with a nontraditional pet, I don't think less of them unless they own a cat. Disgusting creatures that destroy ecosystems and kill for fun, only permitted to live because the weakest and stupidest among us find them cute. Fucking sociopaths.
We have 5 cats. Only one of them is really evil, but he's a bad influence on the rest of them sometimes.

Dogs are terrible creatures. They're needy, messy, and overly excitable. I don't like any animal that feels the need to jump on me or lick me or sniff my butt as soon as I walk in the room.

In that case, it was probably a he rather than a she. He went looking for a she; that's what male spiders apparently do in autumn. The shes wait for potential meals (mates; whatever) to come to them.
It was definitely a she, and we named her Shelob. I think she wented awai because she had too many suitors. There were three of them when she disappeared, and then a new female showed up who was a bit happier to bask in their attention, but it was starting to get a little too crowded on the porch for my tastes so I brought out the broom during the daytime when they were asleep and cleaned them out and sprayed bug spray. So they all wented awai. Smart creatures, spiders.

Kimon
10-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Dogs are terrible creatures. They're needy, messy, and overly excitable. I don't like any animal that feels the need to jump on me or lick me or sniff my butt as soon as I walk in the room.

I think you have to grow up with dogs to like them, otherwise they just seem like an obnoxious smelly annoyance.

Khoram
10-24-2015, 10:34 AM
I love dogs. I also like cats. But I grew up with both, so maybe I'm a little biased.

Nazbaque
10-24-2015, 10:40 AM
I will hand the dog vs. cat debate to Roy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RikfOeBWFao)

Rand al'Fain
10-24-2015, 07:57 PM
I love dogs. I also like cats. But I grew up with both, so maybe I'm a little biased.

Ditto. Dogs have always been a great companion. Cats aren't bad either. Right now, none myself but my grandmother now has a dog that seems part cat. A yorkie. Loves to sleep on the backs of couches and recliners, basks in the sunlight, and uses her front paws to play and to get treats. Kind of an odd, yet surprisingly suiting combination.

Terez
10-25-2015, 08:15 AM
I think you have to grow up with dogs to like them, otherwise they just seem like an obnoxious smelly annoyance.
We had cats and dogs when I was growing up. The dog was a miniature schnauzer named Pepper who lived a long time. I loved her, but she did not give me a love for dogs in general. And she was a fairly small one as far as dogs go.

Kimon
10-25-2015, 09:42 AM
We had cats and dogs when I was growing up. The dog was a miniature schnauzer named Pepper who lived a long time. I loved her, but she did not give me a love for dogs in general. And she was a fairly small one as far as dogs go.

Did the schnauzer and the cats co-exist well? The terrier breeds at least seemed bred for ratting, and so not really worrisome for cohabitation with cats, but still far more a cause of concern than the bird dogs, like black labs, which seem to usually get along really well with cats. The only breeds that seemed like a really bad idea for cat/dog interaction were breeds like beagles which were designed to hunt things a little too cat-like. Or pitbulls. But then pitbulls are just a bad idea in general.

As a schnauzer aside, my parents had a schnauzer early on before they had kids. It disliked being alone at home, and while they were off at work one day, it ate a hole in one of their cabinets to demonstrate its displeasure. Cats can get lonely too, but much less likely to be so high strung. And while some can occasionally decide to use the furnishings as scratching-posts, that can be easily rectified by removal of the front claws. It's also possible to leave a cat alone for a few days, just with water and food left out. Can't do that with a dog.

Khoram
10-25-2015, 11:19 AM
We had a dalmatian growing up - even though dalmatians are apparently one of the worst dogs you can have with children (they aren't great with kids), we never had a problem with her. Had to have her put down in my brother's ninth birthday. :(

Now, along with two cats (one bought, the other found in the wild), we have a Viszla (Hungarian hunting dog - also known as a Velcro dog). She's also really great - her bark is definitely worse than her bite, and she absolutely hated being alone (hence the nickname of Velcro dog), but she gets along really well with the cats. The same with my dalmatian. I guess we were just really lucky. XD

Terez
10-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Did the schnauzer and the cats co-exist well?
Yup, Pepper even nursed a stray cat we had for a while after she had her litter. My parents apparently bred her for money, but they only did it once. The cat she nursed was called Freckles, but we had other cats too.

Davian93
10-25-2015, 03:06 PM
We had a dalmatian growing up - even though dalmatians are apparently one of the worst dogs you can have with children (they aren't great with kids), we never had a problem with her. Had to have her put down in my brother's ninth birthday. :(

Now, along with two cats (one bought, the other found in the wild), we have a Viszla (Hungarian hunting dog - also known as a Velcro dog). She's also really great - her bark is definitely worse than her bite, and she absolutely hated being alone (hence the nickname of Velcro dog), but she gets along really well with the cats. The same with my dalmatian. I guess we were just really lucky. XD

Dalmatians have a bad reputation because they were super popular for a while and thus got massively overbred strictly for appearance instead of personality (a proper spot pattern was paramount rather than temperament basically) so that is honestly most of it. Same thing you sometimes see with Golden Retrievers recently or even Labrador Retrievers these days or all those hybrid designer dogs out there where they're focused on looks over anything else. Like most reputations, its not uniform across the breed and there were and are some great Dalmatians out there.

Davian93
10-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Somewhat strange, since ferrets aren't rodents at all. Maybe it is camouflage

Well, they smell like ass....very stinky animals. Albeit they are fun and very smart for whatever the hell they are.

I could see raccoons being cool pets because they're wicked smart. If they could be properly domesticated at least. They have very sharp claws and they would destroy a house if left alone in it. It'd be cool to domesticate them like that Russian fox domestication program that they started back in the 1960s.

Weirdest pet I've ever seen is sugar gliders. They're basically a "flying" rat or squirrel I guess that is from Australia originally I think. I know someone that has them and honestly I don't think they should be pets. But they're fairly popular among the "exotic pet" crowd.

Rand al'Fain
10-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Well, they smell like ass....very stinky animals. Albeit they are fun and very smart for whatever the hell they are.

I could see raccoons being cool pets because they're wicked smart. If they could be properly domesticated at least. They have very sharp claws and they would destroy a house if left alone in it. It'd be cool to domesticate them like that Russian fox domestication program that they started back in the 1960s.

Weirdest pet I've ever seen is sugar gliders. They're basically a "flying" rat or squirrel I guess that is from Australia originally I think. I know someone that has them and honestly I don't think they should be pets. But they're fairly popular among the "exotic pet" crowd.
Well, one person's pest is another person's pet. Like cockroaches. Most people try and exterminate them the moment they come across them. But others keep them as pets, the hissing cockroach in particular.

Another pet I have heard some people having is the capybara. The largest living rodent in the world, native to South America, and the size of a dog.

Khoram
10-25-2015, 08:36 PM
When I think of capybaras, I don't think of pets. XD

Davian93
10-25-2015, 09:41 PM

Capybaras are awesome...though I don't know that I'd keep one as a pet.

http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/sites/default/files/styles/responsive_breakpoints_theme_rainforest_wide_1x/public/slideshow/header/capybara_0.jpg?itok=G1uvWT23

Nazbaque
10-26-2015, 01:16 AM

When I think of capybaras, I think "anaconda bait"

Figbiscuit
10-26-2015, 05:40 AM
Fennec foxes are just weird to look at.

I would love to get a wolf-dog hybrid. :D

Until it tore your throat out.

I have a lot of friends who have reptile pets and my cousin has pretty much always had rats. Rats are super intelligent and very good to train but I can't ever get over their tails looking like worms. And reptiles really don't do it for me.

I have two little scruffy terriers, both part Jack Russells. Bella is nearly nine and a total numpty around livestock, ducks, cats, small rodents, squirrels, rabbits, pretty much anything she can chase. Winston is nearly one and so far is proving highly intelligent and he absolutely loves to play fetch, taught himself it. Bella used to like to play with stuffed toys but she has retired to her new position of dignified older dog since the puppy came along and now heavily disdains any form of tug based game.

And neither of them make a habit of sniffing your butt, thankfully...

Ozymandias
10-26-2015, 09:38 AM
All pugs, all the time.

Khoram
10-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Until it tore your throat out.

You just have to show it who the all alpha is. Wolf-dog hybrids can be very good for a family - since they are part wolf, the pack instinct is very strong in them, and they are very protective of the family.

But it can also backfire if they see you as weak. So getting a wolf-dog hybrid is always a risk.

Davian93
10-26-2015, 10:45 AM
You just have to show it who the all alpha is. Wolf-dog hybrids can be very good for a family - since they are part wolf, the pack instinct is very strong in them, and they are very protective of the family.

But it can also backfire if they see you as weak. So getting a wolf-dog hybrid is always a risk.

My uncle had a wolf hybrid as a pet when I was young. It was very, very protective of him and didn't like strangers at all. If he took a nap on the couch, it wouldn't let anyone into the living room...even his wife.

It was a cool "dog" other than that though.

The Unreasoner
10-26-2015, 01:40 PM

You know the alpha nonsense has been pretty thoroughly disbunked, right?

Anyway,dogs are always awesome. I don't really get the hybrids (are they always wolf, or can foxes and coyotes get in on that?). Foxes, at least, smell awful. Though that domestication program in Russia is pretty cool.

Still, dogs have studied humans for thousands of years, and the results show it. Focus on the side of the face that shows emotion more, the ability to follow points (not even chimps can do that), very protective, and highly attuned to human language. Not to mention more intelligent than any standard pet besides the pig.

Cats and pandas are horrible creatures that prey on our weakness for cuteness while making the world an objectively worse place.

While I love my dog (dogs tend to adapt to their owner's personality and schedule, and if properly trained as a puppy, it won't be needy or destructive), part of me really wants some kind of genetically modified elephant (to stay small enough to live indoors) that has its gut bacteria swapped for something less smelly. You could even run something like that fox program, and fifty years from now have some of the coolest pet videos ever.

Kimon
10-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Not exactly a weird pet, but apparently wookies are verboten (at least while campaigning on election day) in Ukraine...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/oct/26/chewbacca-arrested-odessa-polling-station-ukraine-video

Davian93
10-26-2015, 06:09 PM
You know the alpha nonsense has been pretty thoroughly disbunked, right?

Anyway,dogs are always awesome. I don't really get the hybrids (are they always wolf, or can foxes and coyotes get in on that?). Foxes, at least, smell awful. Though that domestication program in Russia is pretty cool.

Still, dogs have studied humans for thousands of years, and the results show it. Focus on the side of the face that shows emotion more, the ability to follow points (not even chimps can do that), very protective, and highly attuned to human language. Not to mention more intelligent than any standard pet besides the pig.

Cats and pandas are horrible creatures that prey on our weakness for cuteness while making the world an objectively worse place.

While I love my dog (dogs tend to adapt to their owner's personality and schedule, and if properly trained as a puppy, it won't be needy or destructive), part of me really wants some kind of genetically modified elephant (to stay small enough to live indoors) that has its gut bacteria swapped for something less smelly. You could even run something like that fox program, and fifty years from now have some of the coolest pet videos ever.

In the NE United States, Coy-Dogs are something of a menace in many rural areas...coyote/dog hybrids are not really that uncommon and they tend to lack the coyote's natural fear of humans due to the dog half. Per the googles, they're quite common throughout North America wherever coyotes are present.

DahLliA
10-27-2015, 08:08 AM
A friend of my sister had a pet crow when we were young.

Found that pretty weird, even though they are really smart.

GonzoTheGreat
10-27-2015, 10:01 AM

Found that pretty weird, even though they are really smart.
Of course, friends of sisters are supposed to be weird, so there's that.

Terez
10-27-2015, 10:48 AM
I have a pet Crow. She's a kitten named Crow.

Brita
10-27-2015, 11:28 AM
I had a chinchilla for a few years- great pet and So Soft!!!

I have always dreamed of having a pet crow- they are so clever.

Davian93
10-27-2015, 11:30 AM

I had one for a while but all it kept doing was saying "Snow, Snow, Snow" and "Corn, Corn, Corn" so I got rid of it as that was creepy.

On a serious note, isn't seeing a huge murder of crows just one of the weirdest things ever? 7-8 years ago, we were living in a loft across the street from a public park and that winter, about 1,000 crows decided to live in the maple trees in that park. It was absolutely like something out of a Hitchcock film. 1000 is probably a low end estimate...the trees were completely covered by crows and the ground was completely covered in guano as a result of that many birds.

Brita
10-27-2015, 03:29 PM
On a serious note, isn't seeing a huge murder of crows just one of the weirdest things ever? 7-8 years ago, we were living in a loft across the street from a public park and that winter, about 1,000 crows decided to live in the maple trees in that park. It was absolutely like something out of a Hitchcock film. 1000 is probably a low end estimate...the trees were completely covered by crows and the ground was completely covered in guano as a result of that many birds.

Creepy. I drove by a house a few weeks back that has a large yard backing straight onto a hay field. Their yard was absolutely full of seagulls, hundreds of them lining the grass like a white blanket. And they were all.staring.at.the.house. It was such a crazy sight! I still wonder, if I had stopped to take a picture if they would have maintained their stare, or if I would have broken the spell. I didn't though, just kept driving and wondering.

Khoram
10-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Had you store to take a picture, they would have all turned their heads towards you to stare at you. All at the same time.

Count your blessings it didn't turn into an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Especially considering Halloween is on Saturday. ;)

Davian93
10-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Had you store to take a picture, they would have all turned their heads towards you to stare at you. All at the same time.

Count your blessings it didn't turn into an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Especially considering Halloween is on Saturday. ;)

And we'd all get to read about "Canadian Woman Disappears Without a Trace...Seagulls questioned did not provide any leads."

Khoram
10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
And we'd all get to read about "Canadian Woman Disappears Without a Trace...Seagulls questioned did not provide any leads."

It's like that story where the Indiana woman was shot in the foot by her dog, conveniently named Trigger. :rolleyes:

Daekyras
10-27-2015, 06:47 PM

Went to a birds of prey centre in County clare a few years ago- this guy is amazing.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=519300314748955&id=191714997507490&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F191714997507 490%2Fvideos%2F519300314748955%2F