PDA

View Full Version : Shannara Chronicles

Mort
11-02-2015, 06:46 AM
What do you think about the TV adaptation for the Shannara series ? Personally I started the first book of the original series many many years ago but I never finished it for some reason. Never got hooked I guess.
I couldn't even remember what the story was about. I do remember it was something about Elf Stones though, but a tree, protecting the world from demons? Had no clue :)

Trailer for the upcoming series is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr3z_sTSNU)

Nazbaque
11-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Seems like a pile of cliche's based on the trailer.

Also the demons only number as many as leaves on a tree? Lame.

GonzoTheGreat
11-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Also the demons only number as many as leaves on a tree? Lame.
Ah, but leaves on trees are renewable resources. So if the writers got rid of all demons in season one, then they would have good reason for adding a whole load of new ones in season two.

Which, admittedly, is why I stopped reading the Shannara series: it got rather repetitive, over and over again.

rand
11-03-2015, 10:27 PM
I only read the first three books (Sword, Elfstones, and Wishsong) when I was 10 or so. FWIW, I remember liking Elfstones the best. I'll probably watch it a little, I guess.

It might be interesting to see how successful this is in comparison to Game of Thrones, possibly paving a path for a WoT show. If it's a successful alternative to GoT, WoT might get its own show soon after. But if it's an epic fail it could be a setback for any WoT tv series.

Did anyone else know there's like 500 Shannara books now? I didn't even know Terry Brooks was still writing them...

Khoram
11-03-2015, 11:24 PM
I only read the first three books (Sword, Elfstones, and Wishsong) when I was 10 or so. FWIW, I remember liking Elfstones the best. I'll probably watch it a little, I guess.

It might be interesting to see how successful this is in comparison to Game of Thrones, possibly paving a path for a WoT show. If it's a successful alternative to GoT, WoT might get its own show soon after. But if it's an epic fail it could be a setback for any WoT tv series.

Did anyone else know there's like 500 Shannara books now? I didn't even know Terry Brooks was still writing them...
Yeah. Haven't read any of the new ones (well, newer ones), like the Jerle of Shannara books.

I liked them as a kid too, but maybe 7 years ago, when I tried reading then again, I just couldn't get in to it. I liked the Scions of Shabbats books, too.

Maybe I'll take at look at the show.

Davian93
11-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Seems like a pile of cliche's based on the trailer.

So it's a faithful adaptation of the source material then?

Davian93
11-05-2015, 07:59 AM

I remember reading them as a kid and thinking "these are ok but not great". I reread Elfstones and Wishsong a couple years ago and they were just painfully bad.