PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: The Search for More Money

Kimon
11-02-2015, 06:33 PM
CBS is coming out with a new Star Trek series in January of 2017. Hopefully more hit than miss - have to admit, I liked the original, and TNG, didn't like DS9 or Voyager, but did like Enterprise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34704082

Any guesses, snarky suggestions, or actual knowledge as to the new title?

Nazbaque
11-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Wasn't "Search for more Money" the hypothetical title of Spaceballs capter 12?

Was I the only one who thought that "He knows the audience intimately" makes it sound like Alex Kurtzman sleeps with the fans?

Sarevok
11-03-2015, 02:41 AM
I don't care if they do it for the money or not, I'll be watching. :D

Terez
11-03-2015, 05:26 AM
CBS is coming out with a new Star Trek series in January of 2017. Hopefully more hit than miss - have to admit, I liked the original, and TNG, didn't like DS9 or Voyager, but did like Enterprise.
I just rewatched TNG, which I hadn't seen since it aired (and even then, I don't think I watched it quite regularly). Then I tried to get into DS9 and couldn't, though I made it to season 4 before I gave up and started rewatching DBZ. But I think I will get back to it. Haven't tried Voyager or Enterprise.

Nazbaque
11-03-2015, 06:00 AM
I just rewatched TNG, which I hadn't seen since it aired (and even then, I don't think I watched it quite regularly). Then I tried to get into DS9 and couldn't, though I made it to season 4 before I gave up and started rewatching DBZ. But I think I will get back to it. Haven't tried Voyager or Enterprise.

In English or Japanese?

connabard
11-03-2015, 11:04 AM
In English or Japanese?

I can only hope English because the translations were some of the most hilarious things I've ever heard

Nazbaque
11-03-2015, 11:13 AM
I can only hope English because the translations were some of the most hilarious things I've ever heard

But japanese still has the opening with the weirdest lyrics ever.

Terez
11-03-2015, 11:49 AM
In English or Japanese?
I was going to do Japanese but I was only looking for something to watch while I was scanning a bunch of books in my personal library (for searching and to have them when I'm not at home) and I missed too much without being able to understand the audio. I probably understand about as much as the average weeaboo but that's not very much. (My best friend in 10th grade was a Japanese exchange student; she was obsessed with manga and anime, but I wasn't. Everything I know about the language, I learned from her.)

Kimon
11-03-2015, 03:41 PM

BBC America (most people get this now, right?) shows reruns of TNG every Saturday afternoon, and a bunch of other random times throughout the week. TNG is still by far my favorite of the Trek series, but I personally really liked Enterprise too and was disappointed that it didn't survive long. I tried to get into DS9 and Voyager, but found both to be dull - may have been because I didn't like the captains, or really any of the main cast, in either of those series. I liked Bakula though in Enterprise, and the rest of that cast was all good. All the episodes, and major plot-lines were pretty entertaining. Definitely thought it was the best thing Trek has done since TNG.

ShadowbaneX
11-03-2015, 06:22 PM

So basically you watched all the crappy DS9 and missed the best stuff.

Terez
11-04-2015, 04:42 AM
BBC America (most people get this now, right?) shows reruns of TNG every Saturday afternoon, and a bunch of other random times throughout the week. TNG is still by far my favorite of the Trek series, but I personally really liked Enterprise too and was disappointed that it didn't survive long. I tried to get into DS9 and Voyager, but found both to be dull - may have been because I didn't like the captains, or really any of the main cast, in either of those series. I liked Bakula though in Enterprise, and the rest of that cast was all good. All the episodes, and major plot-lines were pretty entertaining. Definitely thought it was the best thing Trek has done since TNG.
I have only seen Bakula in NCIS: New Orleans (my mom loves NCIS) and I find him kind of annoying in that show. Maybe I need to see him in Star Trek and I'll like him more.

Yeah, I gathered. That's why I plan on finishing it. But they pissed me off by screwing up the theme music in season 4, so I had to quit for a little while. That theme music was awesome and they destroyed it.

But japanese still has the opening with the weirdest lyrics ever.
There was some Brazilian dude on stack exchange who asked about what the English lyrics to some anime theme song meant. I don't even remember what it was; something that didn't make much sense. I had to explain to him that this is typical for Japanese people trying to come up with English expressions on their own. But yeah, even the Japanese lyrics are weird. The closing is worse. Nut-scented alien? (With "alien" in English of course.)

I have watched segments of DB(Z) in Japanese, starting with movies 11-13 which I had on a bootlegged VHS tape back in the late 90s or early 00s, before they had been dubbed by Funimation. But I watched the series this time on Funimation's website, and they (oddly) use the Japanese music throughout, except for the opening theme song (which I think is the original Ocean one?). It's a subscription website (I'm on free trial) but apparently they want you to spend more money for their DVD releases if you're attached to their music.

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I gathered. That's why I plan on finishing it. But they pissed me off by screwing up the theme music in season 4, so I had to quit for a little while. That theme music was awesome and they destroyed it.

Ok, so, right then.

There should be like a button on your remote that's two triangles pointing to the right. Thus is the 'fast forward' button. It's used to play forward your media at an advanced rate so you don't have to watch (or listen to) stuff you don't want to.

Terez
11-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Ok, so, right then.

There should be like a button on your remote that's two triangles pointing to the right. Thus is the 'fast forward' button. It's used to play forward your media at an advanced rate so you don't have to watch (or listen to) stuff you don't want to.
Yeah, I did that, but I missed the awesome theme music. And I couldn't always stop it; I've been watching while working, i.e. scanning books, and every time I didn't get there quick enough, God killed a puppy.

New Futurist Man
11-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Apparently it's going to be a "re-boot" of the original series as opposed to a brand new series, which I'm kinda disappointed about. I was hoping it was going to be after Voyager in the timeline rather than, as it seems, between Enterprise and TNG. As long as it's more in keeping with the recent Star Trek films than Enterprise I think it should be okay, the latter suffered imo because the alien badguys were sorta laughable and hard to take seriously after the nasty SOBs like the Borg or Cardassians we got in DS9 and Voyager.

My favourite series are TNG and Voyager, didn't really like DS9, the space station angle just didn't work imo; and I didn't really get into Enterprise, tho what I saw of it I liked. But to those above who didn't like Voyager and perhaps only watched the first couple seasons, you should definitely give it another go: it only starts to get really good when former Borg drone Seven of Nine replaces 'hospital orderly' Kez as part of the crew, which is at the same time they reach Borg space. Those are probably amongst my favourite Star Trek episodes of w/e series, the one with "Species 8472" is especially awesome.

Davian93
11-05-2015, 07:50 AM

DS9 is the best Trek by far. Great secondary characters, actual interpersonal conflict, serialized plots, etc.

TNG was godawful the first 2 seasons other than 1-2 eps. It got much better after that but the zero consequences from episode to episode made it tough.

Voyager was an abortion of a show and Enterprise was actually decent at time but got shafted by Paramount and Rick Berman.

Terez
11-05-2015, 07:53 AM
DS9 is the best Trek by far. Great secondary characters, actual interpersonal conflict, serialized plots, etc.
As for the secondary characters, Major Kira is terrrrible. She's like 10x worse than Riker. She's probably the main reason I have a hard time getting into the show. I was looking forward to Worf joining the cast in season 4 but after a few episodes which didn't do much for me I decided I was burned out on it and that I would finish it later.

Davian93
11-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Apparently it's going to be a "re-boot" of the original series as opposed to a brand new series, which I'm kinda disappointed about. I was hoping it was going to be after Voyager in the timeline rather than, as it seems, between Enterprise and TNG. As long as it's more in keeping with the recent Star Trek films than Enterprise I think it should be okay, the latter suffered imo because the alien badguys were sorta laughable and hard to take seriously after the nasty SOBs like the Borg or Cardassians we got in DS9 and Voyager.

My favourite series are TNG and Voyager, didn't really like DS9, the space station angle just didn't work imo; and I didn't really get into Enterprise, tho what I saw of it I liked. But to those above who didn't like Voyager and perhaps only watched the first couple seasons, you should definitely give it another go: it only starts to get really good when former Borg drone Seven of Nine replaces 'hospital orderly' Kez as part of the crew, which is at the same time they reach Borg space. Those are probably amongst my favourite Star Trek episodes of w/e series, the one with "Species 8472" is especially awesome.

So um, I believe the Voyager episode was called "Threshold"

That's all I will say about Voyager.

Davian93
11-05-2015, 07:56 AM
As for the secondary characters, Major Kira is terrrrible. She's like 10x worse than Riker. She's probably the main reason I have a hard time getting into the show. I was looking forward to Worf joining the cast in season 4 but after a few episodes which didn't do much for me I decided I was burned out on it and that I would finish it later.

Kira isn't s secondary character and even she gets better in the later seasons. I was referring to Dukat, Garak, even Quark, Rom and Narg.

Garak alone was amazing and Andrew Robinson did an amazing job with the character.

Daekyras
11-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Kira isn't s secondary character and even she gets better in the later seasons. I was referring to Dukat, Garak, even Quark, Rom and Narg.

Garak alone was amazing and Andrew Robinson did an amazing job with the character.

i really liked DS9 when I got round to watching it.

Never been a big Star Trek guy but as Dav said earlier I liked the series for the ongoing and recurring stories that came up more regularly due to the setting.

It was a lot harder to do that in a series where the ship was travelling.

I always found Voyager to be better named Star Trek: Diversity. it felt a little shoe horned in a lot of the time. And i'm not talking about janeway, who I thought did a good job as captain.

Edit: My Quote miraculously changed!!

Terez
11-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Kira isn't s secondary character...
I prefer to think of her that way. :(

Tomp
11-09-2015, 06:48 AM
DS9 seasons 4-7 are the best ST episodes.

TNG seasons 4-6 are the only ones that are watchable. The 7th season is really bad mainly due to that they're writing two other series at the same time as well as making the Generations movie.

Terez
11-09-2015, 08:47 AM
DS9 seasons 4-7 are the best ST episodes.

TNG seasons 4-6 are the only ones that are watchable.
I distinctly recall season 3 being miles better than season 2. I posted as much on Facebook, and Werthead (geek blogger) told me that seasons 3-4 are widely considered to be the best.

The finale of season 2 was probably the worst episode they ever made, so bad that I had to look it up to see what other people said about it. Apparently there was a writers' strike at the time, so they just concocted an episode almost entirely from flashbacks.

Davian93
12-15-2015, 08:20 AM
The newest Star Trek film (Star Trek Beyond Thunderdome or something like that) will feature the destruction of the Enterprise.

Hmm...what an original idea for a 3rd movie in a series of ST movies. Good to see they're not just regurgitating the original movies or something.

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/blog_post_media/public/images/enterprise-star-trek-iii.jpg?itok=aqmF3Kwk

Khoram
12-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Come now, Dav. That would be ludicrous. Next we're going to find out that Spock is going to disappear, and they're going to spend the majority of the movie searching for him. And then the fourth installment will be them going home, but back in time (so that they can save a pair of aquatic mammals)...

GonzoTheGreat
12-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Weird Harold
12-16-2015, 04:39 AM
The newest Star Trek film (Star Trek Beyond Thunderdome or something like that) will feature the destruction of the Enterprise.

Well they have to have some excuse for introducing the newly designed NCC-1701-F, don't they. (or did wiki miss a few iterations and it should be NCC-1701-H or J?)