PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Khoram?

Khoram
11-24-2015, 03:04 PM
What's up with that guy? What's with the stuff he's posting on the facebooks?

Well, the past couple of days have been quite the experience for me.

But first, we take a look back in time, to about four weeks ago...

It was a Friday afternoon, close to 2:30, and young Khoram was getting ready to go out and referee about 100 (give or take 97). And, having been wondering recently about the status of his application to the Air Force, was thinking about calling them, before they closed at 4 for the weekend. Lo and behold, the telephone rings, one of those forgotten relics of the past, a landline, and he answers it. On the phone was a Corporal from the Canadian Armed Forces, giving him an ultimatum: either choose three of four possible dates (before Christmas) to go to Trenton for the Aircrew Selection Process, or be stuck in limbo, having to redo all bloodwork in January. So he jumped at the first three dates - November 23rd to 25th, November 30th to December 2nd, and December 7th to 9th.

Step forward now to a week and a half ago, again on the Friday afternoon around 2:30. Just as he's again thinking of calling the recruiting centre, the phone rings. It's another Corporal, who tells him that he's leaving to go to Trenton on the 22nd of November to go for testing from the 23rd to the 25th. Note, he's absolutely ecstatic. It's been just about a year and a half since he originally applied to the Forces, and he was finally taking the next big step, and one of the most difficult ones at that.

So he took a train from little old Montreal to even smaller Belleville, and took a cab from there to Trenton, arriving just after 2 pm. And there he met fourteen other candidates from across Canadia, and from all walks of life: three RMC students, several mechanical engineers, a truck driver, a diver with 14 years' experience in the Royal Canadian Navy, and of course, himself.

Over those two days of testing, he sweated, he shook, he had trouble sleeping, and thought all was lost; he thought there was no that he was going to pass as a pilot, or even as an Aerospace Control Officer, which was his second choice.

It turns out that, after apparently being the second one to finish this morning, that I have passed ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! I passed as a pilot, as an AEC, and as an ACSO (Air Combat Systems Officer), ranging from being part of the 60th percentile in a couple of the tests to being in the 80th percentile in still others. It was absolutely intense. I'm still waking on Cloud 9.

After doing a chest X-ray on base, I am now in Toronto, in a swanky hotel, and waiting to go out with the other guys who passed (the pass rate is usually 37%, but we had 8 guys who passed as pilots) to eat. Then we do medicals tomorrow morning, and then (hopefully) come home. Which will be a five hour train ride. XD

So yeah. I've been through the CFASC and survived to tell about it. Hopefully now they don't tell me that I'm too short to see over the instrument panel, or my legs aren't long enough to reach the rudder pedals.

I guess I could always pull a Short Round...

Daekyras
11-24-2015, 05:11 PM
What's up with that guy? What's with the stuff he's posting on the facebooks?

Well, the past couple of days have been quite the experience for me.

But first, we take a look back in time, to about four weeks ago...

It was a Friday afternoon, close to 2:30, and young Khoram was getting ready to go out and referee about 100 (give or take 97). And, having been wondering recently about the status of his application to the Air Force, was thinking about calling them, before they closed at 4 for the weekend. Lo and behold, the telephone rings, one of those forgotten relics of the past, a landline, and he answers it. On the phone was a Corporal from the Canadian Armed Forces, giving him an ultimatum: either choose three of four possible dates (before Christmas) to go to Trenton for the Aircrew Selection Process, or be stuck in limbo, having to redo all bloodwork in January. So he jumped at the first three dates - November 23rd to 25th, November 30th to December 2nd, and December 7th to 9th.

Step forward now to a week and a half ago, again on the Friday afternoon around 2:30. Just as he's again thinking of calling the recruiting centre, the phone rings. It's another Corporal, who tells him that he's leaving to go to Trenton on the 22nd of November to go for testing from the 23rd to the 25th. Note, he's absolutely ecstatic. It's been just about a year and a half since he originally applied to the Forces, and he was finally taking the next big step, and one of the most difficult ones at that.

So he took a train from little old Montreal to even smaller Belleville, and took a cab from there to Trenton, arriving just after 2 pm. And there he met fourteen other candidates from across Canadia, and from all walks of life: three RMC students, several mechanical engineers, a truck driver, a diver with 14 years' experience in the Royal Canadian Navy, and of course, himself.

Over those two days of testing, he sweated, he shook, he had trouble sleeping, and thought all was lost; he thought there was no that he was going to pass as a pilot, or even as an Aerospace Control Officer, which was his second choice.

It turns out that, after apparently being the second one to finish this morning, that I have passed ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! I passed as a pilot, as an AEC, and as an ACSO (Air Combat Systems Officer), ranging from being part of the 60th percentile in a couple of the tests to being in the 80th percentile in still others. It was absolutely intense. I'm still waking on Cloud 9.

After doing a chest X-ray on base, I am now in Toronto, in a swanky hotel, and waiting to go out with the other guys who passed (the pass rate is usually 37%, but we had 8 guys who passed as pilots) to eat. Then we do medicals tomorrow morning, and then (hopefully) come home. Which will be a five hour train ride. XD

So yeah. I've been through the CFASC and survived to tell about it. Hopefully now they don't tell me that I'm too short to see over the instrument panel, or my legs aren't long enough to reach the rudder pedals.

I guess I could always pull a Short Round...

Well done flyboy.

When does the brylcream arrive??
(But genuinely, well done) :)

Isabel
11-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Congrats:) hope that everything goes well :D

yks 6nnetu hing
11-25-2015, 12:46 AM
wow, congrats! that's great news :D

DahLliA
11-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Congrats!

Davian93
11-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Congrats!!!

Sidenote: You do your training in Trenton, New Jersey?!?

Mort
11-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Congrats! Being short isn't usually a problem I hear, being too tall is :)

GonzoTheGreat
11-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Yeah, it wasn't a problem in the case of Tom Cruise, so as long as you're tall enough to be a Scientologist (don't try this at home, nor anywhere else, by the way) you should be fine.

Daekyras
11-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it wasn't a problem in the case of Tom Cruise, so as long as you're tall enough to be a Scientologist (don't try this at home, nor anywhere else, by the way) you should be fine.

But handsome Tom is so talented that his ACTING taller actually fooled everyone and everything - Including the very physical dimensions in the flight deck!

Nazbaque
11-25-2015, 11:20 AM
But handsome Tom is so talented that his ACTING taller actually fooled everyone and everything - Including the very physical dimensions in the flight deck!

You're thinking of handsome Val. With Tom it's the scientology.

ShadowbaneX
11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Congrats!!!

Sidenote: You do your training in Trenton, New Jersey?!?

Dav...your American is showing. CFB Trenton (https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canadian+Forces+Base+Trenton/@44.122502,-77.567791,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89d63dbafd75fe1b:0x6cd3dc38b818c 7d3)

Good luck Khoram. I hope they've still got some Sea Kings in the air for you to fly once you graduate. :p

Daekyras
11-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Dav...your American is showing. CFB Trenton (https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canadian+Forces+Base+Trenton/@44.122502,-77.567791,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89d63dbafd75fe1b:0x6cd3dc38b818c 7d3)

Good luck Khoram. I hope they've still got some Sea Kings in the air for you to fly once you graduate. :p

Have you flown sikorskys SBX?

Khoram
11-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Yeah... Those Sea Kings, in the million pieces they're made up of, will be on the bottom of the ocean floor soon enough. Especially considering we're slated to be getting Cyclones relatively soon to replace them.

Just got through with the medicals. Everything looks good. Now I just have to wait a month before I start badgering the recruiting centre about my status. XD

ShadowbaneX
11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Be nice to the techs. If you annoy them they'll say things like "one day just before you take off I'll wave at you like this *insert tech waving like Vir from Babylon 5*. When I do you won't be coming back.

Now I miss Riel...:(

ShadowbaneX
11-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Have you flown sikorskys SBX?

I've flown X-Wings and the Falcon, the Enterprise, Star Fox's ship (whatever the hell that was...I can6t be assed to Google it right now), and a few other things. Glided some. Smashed some ships into the Mun. Haven't flown any of those though. Why do you ask?

The Unreasoner
11-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Congratulations! It's a shame (or lucky, depending on your pov) that Trudeau wants to end Canada's anti-ISIS mission (or has he already? Will he still, after Paris?).

Unreasoner also wonders why the third person talk.

(And fwiw, I assumed NJ as well, and was surprised by it).

ETA:
Am I the only person who pities Tom? He reminds me of Taylor Swift, with the micromanaging of his image. His life must suck. But he has a hell of a work ethic, and I loved him in Tropic Thunder.

ShadowbaneX
11-25-2015, 02:11 PM
The whole crazy religious cult thing is a bit of negative PR. That said he was good in Tropic thunder although, supposedly based off someone he knows. He was also good in Collateral.

Ivhon
11-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Congrats!!

Khoram
11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Congratulations! It's a shame (or lucky, depending on your pov) that Trudeau wants to end Canada's anti-ISIS mission (or has he already? Will he still, after Paris?).

Unreasoner also wonders why the third person talk.

(And fwiw, I assumed NJ as well, and was surprised by it).

I guess it doesn't really matter, because even though I would love to be a fighter pilot, I really don't mind flying anything. So having the Hornets taken back doesn't really affect me. Besides, it will still take a while before I actually start training on actual planes, and even longer to complete the training. At least another couple of years.

But the most stressful part is done, and I'm heading home - the train will probably take 4 1/2 hours to get back to , so I'm only gonna get in around 9:30.

I guess I should have specified that I was talking about Trenton, Ontario. Silly me for forgetting that many of you are American. :rolleyes:

Daekyras
11-25-2015, 04:33 PM
I've flown X-Wings and the Falcon, the Enterprise, Star Fox's ship (whatever the hell that was...I can6t be assed to Google it right now), and a few other things. Glided some. Smashed some ships into the Mun. Haven't flown any of those though. Why do you ask?

Sea kings are sokorskys aren't they? I thought from your post you might have had expeience (maybe in the coast guard?). I've never been in one but would love to!!

As for Tom- I've said before he is my favourite movie star. Since far and away, 1993, he hasn't made a bad movie. Even knight and day wasn't bad. Just not overly enjoyable.

I know he has a weird personal life but when I go to a movie I want to see a well put together movie- he picks the directors he wants to work with and only signs on to a movie he is happy with. And it shows in The quality of the product.

The Unreasoner
11-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Pretty much every serious assessment I've seen of the anti ISIS effort says that to do it right, it'll take at least 7 years (and at least 50000 ground units). So you'll probably still get to help. Unless Trudeau pulls the plug on it.

There are two major problems with the current situation: however much the Kurds love GWB, I don't think their gratitude extends to being willing to retake all of Syria and Iraq from ISIS. Nor will the other Sunni players in the region support them as they should.

The other problem is Assad. If he had won or lost quickly, ISIS never would have had the power vacuum or the recruits to expand as they did. And now Russia is propping him up, diverting energy and resources that could be otherwise applied against ISIS. But they're only propping him up: he can't win without much greater support. An ethnic minority (in both the country and the region) war criminal oppressive dictator? The Syrian people have buried enough children who he either personally gassed or starved to death. He abandoned half of his country to ISIS. Loyalist children are drowning in the Mediterranean because their relatives don't want to be drafted to drop barrel bombs on civilians. His supporters have abbandoned him, and his enemies have been emboldened by his unmitigated evil; Syria will never again be at peace while Assad is alive and free. And now Russia won't let him lose or help him win. So that conflict will be unnecessarily extended, leaving the Kurds to fight ISIS alone.

On the bright side: you'll have plenty of opportunities to be a hero.

Khoram
11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
And Trudeau is sending boots down to continue helping with the training. So we'll still have people, although the pulling of the Hornets out doesn't really the troops on the ground.

ShadowbaneX
11-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Nah, they're a well known helicopter here in Canada, mostly for falling out of the sky.

Khoram
11-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Nah, they're a well known helicopter here in Canada, mostly for falling out of the sky.

And off of ships.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're older than our Hornets, and they are C-class. The US Navy has decommissioned their C-class Hornets. Years ago.

GonzoTheGreat
11-26-2015, 03:09 AM
Am I the only person who pities Tom? He reminds me of Taylor Swift, with the micromanaging of his image. His life must suck.
Maybe he should pick Miley Cyrus as a role model instead.

Frenzy
11-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Congrats Khoram! This makes you the second Theorylander pilot in the armed forces :D

Khoram
11-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Congrats Khoram! This makes you the second Theorylander pilot in the armed forces :D

Second Theorylander pilot in the Armed Forces? Who's the first? :D

And I haven't been accepted yet, but it's a strong possibility. A selection board is supposedly convening on December 11. I was told that if I don't hear anything in a month, to contact my recruiting centre.

Apparently Primary Flight Training is a 50% pass rate. Great. XD

ShadowbaneX
11-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Eclipse is a pilot with the US Army iirc. I want to say he flew helicopters though.

Daekyras
11-29-2015, 02:23 AM
Apparently Primary Flight Training is a 50% pass rate. Great. XD

There are eight in the class, so top 4 pass. So you could finish fourth, a place without a medal!, and still get through....easy! ;)

In all seriousness, best of luck. Really hope you get through. :)

Nazbaque
11-29-2015, 02:41 AM
There are eight in the class, so top 4 pass. So you could finish fourth, a place without a medal!, and still get through....easy! ;)

Good thing too. He'll have to be in service for a while before he'll get any medals.

Khoram
11-29-2015, 08:31 AM

It's a 50% pass rate, but of everybody that goes to PFT, not just the 8 of us. ;) So, just like my class was above average for number of people passing as pilots, so too can we be above average and pass PFT. Hopefully that will be the case. XD

GonzoTheGreat
11-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Maybe everyone is above average. Then what happens?

Daekyras
11-29-2015, 10:49 AM

Thus begins the age of aquarius!

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius
The Age of Aquarius
Aquarius! Aquarius!

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the minds true liberation

Aquarius, Aquarius

When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
The age of Aquarius, Aquarius, Aquarius
Aquarius, Aquarius

Let the sun shine, Let the sun shine in, The sun shine
in
Let the sun shine, Let the sun shine in, The sun shine
in

The Unreasoner
11-29-2015, 01:39 PM
I love that song. But maybe because I am aquarius.

Statistically, it is possible for *almost* everyone to be above average (arithmetic mean), provided the presence of at least one superfailure.

Nazbaque
11-29-2015, 01:49 PM

We adjust to the new average. Everyone can remember the old average for a while and then reality catches up and people realise that they are below the new average and start resenting those who are above average even though they're better than the previous average.

Frenzy
11-30-2015, 12:55 AM
Eclipse is a pilot with the US Army iirc. I want to say he flew helicopters though.

Yah, Eclipse flies helicoptors for the US Army. I'm not sure what Imram did; i thought he was in the Air Force, but i could be wrong.

GonzoTheGreat
11-30-2015, 04:10 AM
Maybe he was in the United States Army Air Service.

Davian93
11-30-2015, 07:25 AM

To be fair, most helicopters are utter deathtraps. I flew on them all the time (Chinooks and Blackhawks in the army) and every time we went up, we were basically assuming it would be the time we'd be looking to crash. Blackhawks were definitely death traps but the aging Chinooks our unit had were also "fun". The joke was that as long as they were leaking hydraulic fluid, we were fine. It was if they stopped leaking that we'd be in trouble.

Khoram
11-30-2015, 07:53 AM
We've now got the newest Chinooks flying today. Some of our Hercs are H-class, which were around during Vietnam. We got those from a sultam, who apparently used his personal Hercules aircraft to transport his prize breeding camels. XD

Davian93
11-30-2015, 08:20 AM
We've now got the newest Chinooks flying today. Some of our Hercs are H-class, which were around during Vietnam. We got those from a sultam, who apparently used his personal Hercules aircraft to transport his prize breeding camels. XD

That's good at least...some of the ones I flew on were older than me...sometimes by over a decade.

ShadowbaneX
11-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Yah, Eclipse flies helicoptors for the US Army. I'm not sure what Imram did; i thought he was in the Air Force, but i could be wrong.

I seem to recall the Imran was on the beaches at Normandy in '44, but I might be misremembering. SP would know more as he wrote a paper on him.

Khoram
11-30-2015, 01:39 PM
That's good at least...some of the ones I flew on were older than me...sometimes by over a decade.

At this rate they're almost all older than I am. XD

Ivhon
11-30-2015, 01:52 PM
I seem to recall the Imran was on the beaches at Normandy in '44, but I might be misremembering. SP would know more as he wrote a paper on him.

Imram taught Chuck Norris most of what he knew.

Daekyras
11-30-2015, 02:54 PM

can't remember the last time I saw package post. Very entertaining.

Frenzy
12-01-2015, 12:56 AM
can't remember the last time I saw package post. Very entertaining.

Well, he has a raptor now, and that's distracting.

Terez
12-01-2015, 03:22 AM
My great-uncle Larry is a retired Air Force colonel. He was at our house (my grandma's house) for Thanksgiving and a Funeral (family tradition) last week. (My maternal grandmother who just passed was his sister.) He's 85 and barely hanging in there, but he was too young for WWII. His first deployment as a pilot was in Korea.

I gather our resident Jon Snow met his wife in Korea when he was with the Peace Corps. That's cool too.

My mom still has a crush on the guy she took flying lessons with in high school. He sent flowers for the funeral with a note that tried to be poetic, and my brother and I had to convince her that she shouldn't read too much into it. One of her brother's kids is also a small craft pilot, and I seem to remember his little brother has flown a helicopter.

I also gather that Sare got further than my mother with flying but not as far as my uncles? I have an uncle by marriage on my dad's side who is a commercial pilot out of NYC (he commutes Newton NJ, for something of a full circle).

Good job Khoram. I could never have been a pilot for the same reason I could never have joined the military: asthma.

(I just realized that this post comes off as poor me, congrats but my grandma died. It wasn't meant to be that; I was just being sentimental cause that's where my brain goes on this topic.)

Daekyras
12-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Well, he has a raptor now, and that's distracting.

According to the internet I would last 1m 47s with a raptor. So they are way more that "distracting"!

But I will say this- boy raptors are a lot more work than girl raptors were. Especially when they reach the toddling stage.

Nazbaque
12-01-2015, 01:54 PM
My great-uncle Larry is a retired Air Force colonel. He was at our house (my grandma's house) for Thanksgiving and a Funeral (family tradition) last week. (My maternal grandmother who just passed was his sister.) He's 85 and barely hanging in there, but he was too young for WWII. His first deployment as a pilot was in Korea.

I gather our resident Jon Snow met his wife in Korea when he was with the Peace Corps. That's cool too.

My mom still has a crush on the guy she took flying lessons with in high school. He sent flowers for the funeral with a note that tried to be poetic, and my brother and I had to convince her that she shouldn't read too much into it. One of her brother's kids is also a small craft pilot, and I seem to remember his little brother has flown a helicopter.

I also gather that Sare got further than my mother with flying but not as far as my uncles? I have an uncle by marriage on my dad's side who is a commercial pilot out of NYC (he commutes Newton NJ, for something of a full circle).

Good job Khoram. I could never have been a pilot for the same reason I could never have joined the military: asthma.

(I just realized that this post comes off as poor me, congrats but my grandma died. It wasn't meant to be that; I was just being sentimental cause that's where my brain goes on this topic.)

I was under the impression that Sare is an active commercial pilot.

Terez
12-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Could be, hence the question mark. But I thought he was working some other job.

Daekyras
12-01-2015, 06:23 PM
I was under the impression that Sare is an active commercial pilot.

Giggity?

Figbiscuit
12-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Well done Flyboy, I never doubted you :):)

*has no flying related tale to share, other than that I quite like to drink prosecco when I'm flying to a holiday destination*

Khoram
12-03-2015, 03:31 PM

*has no flying related tale to share, other than that I quite like to drink prosecco when I'm flying to a holiday destination*

Because why not enjoy some of the bubbly stuff while flying at an altitude of 36,000 feet? ;)

Daekyras
12-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Oooh- can we play guess where you were going 9 hols??

Prosecco? Hmmm. A clue. Italy?

GonzoTheGreat
12-04-2015, 03:19 AM
Because why not enjoy some of the bubbly stuff while flying at an altitude of 36,000 feet? ;)
Actually, seeing as how you would be the pilot, there might possibly be some reason not to indulge too heavily in such circumstances.

Khoram
12-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Actually, seeing as how you would be the pilot, there might possibly be some reason not to indulge too heavily in such circumstances.

But Gonzo, that's what autopilot is for. :p

Not that I would do such a thing. That would be irresponsible, and could get me fired. :rolleyes:

Ivhon
12-04-2015, 08:54 AM
But Gonzo, that's what autopilot is for. :p

Not that I would do such a thing. That would be irresponsible, and could get me fired. :rolleyes:

See that, surveillance state? It was a joke. See?

Figbiscuit
12-07-2015, 04:21 AM

It's so wonderfully effective :D

Oooh- can we play guess where you were going 9 hols??

Prosecco? Hmmm. A clue. Italy?

My holidays generally involve snow, so think mountains :)

Daekyras
12-07-2015, 05:57 AM

So- Prosecco and Snowy mountains....Switzerland??

Khoram
12-07-2015, 06:44 PM

So no Canadia this year, seeing as we haven't really had any snow.

ie: the snow that we have had disappeared within several hours of it falling.