PDA

View Full Version : 30% of Republicans want to bomb Aladdin...

Kimon
12-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Anyone who continues to be surprised at how Trump, Carson, and Cruz could continue to dominate the Republican field need only look at polls like this...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/18/republicans-are-so-bullish-on-war-that-30-percent-would-bomb-a-fictional-country

poll on Friday by Public Policy Polling perfectly encapsulates the Republican presidential race so far: “30% of Republican primary voters nationally say they support bombing Agrabah.” That would be the fictional country in Aladdin.

Republican voters, urged on by the Republican candidates, are now eager to bomb anywhere that has a Muslim-sounding name regardless of whether it comes from a cartoon. While the poll itself may be amusing, it’s not exactly surprising given the cartoonish levels of tough-guy militarism that spews from the mouth of every Republican candidate as they try to one-up each other on who would start more wars harder and quicker.

Ted Cruz has spent the past two weeks calling for a “carpet bombing” of the Middle East in an attempt to destroy Isis, saying he wants to see if “sand can glow in the dark”. He defended this call on national television Tuesday while outright avoiding the question of whether that means he’s prepared to kill the hundreds of thousands of civilians that live in Isis’s de-facto capital of Raqqa, Syria.

Donald Trump, in between his calls for banning Muslims here at home, also called on American forces to commit war crimes by killing the families of terrorists. His meaningless calls to “bomb the shit out of Isis” naturally have led all the other candidates to trip over each other in an attempt to find more and more colorful adjectives to describe how their bombs would look.

Chris Christie, whose whole campaign seems based around trying to sound like he could beat the other candidates up for their lunch money, was perhaps the most absurd: he threatened war with both Russia and China during the last debate. Christie claimed he was totally willing to start a third world war with Russia over a no-fly zone in Syria and would shoot down Russian pilots immediately. His reason? To avenge the thousands killed by Assad, and the “millions running around the world, running for their lives”. So Christie’s position is: we will start the third world war to save Syrians, but we draw the line in at allowing five-year-old Syrian orphans into the United States.

Frenzy
12-19-2015, 05:41 PM
In fairness, something like 19% of Democrats also want to bomb Agrabah.

Obviously the solution is Education, and to watch more Disney movies.

Nazbaque
12-19-2015, 06:30 PM
In fairness, something like 19% of Democrats also want to bomb Agrabah.

Obviously the solution is Education, and to watch more Disney movies.

Unless that's why they want to do it. Just in case the muslims get their hands on a magic lamp.

The Unreasoner
12-19-2015, 07:35 PM
It's an interesting logic question though. Should I be opposed to bombing Agrabah because they never did anything to deserve it, and there is no actionable intel concerning any part of its populace, or indifferent because Agrabah doesn't exist and therefore can't be harmed by bombs?

Btw, I can't find the actual poll. Kimon just links to an article that uses the poll as clickbait, and its only source is a Twitter post.

Considering Agrabah is affiliated with ABC, there's a nonzero chance this is just Kimmel.

Kimon
12-19-2015, 08:02 PM
It's an interesting logic question though. Should I be opposed to bombing Agrabah because they never did anything to deserve it, and there is no actionable intel concerning any part of its populace, or indifferent because Agrabah doesn't exist and therefore can't be harmed by bombs?

Btw, I can't find the actual poll. Kimon just links to an article that uses the poll as clickbait, and its only source is a Twitter post.

Considering Agrabah is affiliated with ABC, there's a nonzero chance this is just Kimmel.

It's not exactly difficult to find...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/GOPResults.pdf

It's Question 38

Would you support or oppose bombing
Agrabah?
Support bombing Agrabah 30% ..............................
Oppose bombing Agrabah 13% ..............................
Not sure 57%

Only 13%, wow.

A few other interesting tidbits:

- 28% still support the Japanese Internment Policy during WWII.
- 26% think Islam should be illegal.
- 46% think we should have a national database of Muslims.
- 13% however think that people on the terrorist watch list should still be able to purchase firearms.

oh, and duh...

- 50% of respondents were evangelicals...

Isabel
12-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Well i would also be not sure about bombing Agrabah, since it's not real ;) :)

GonzoTheGreat
12-20-2015, 04:37 AM
If one votes "bomb Agrabah" on the theory that doing it would mean bombing Disney Land, would that really be bad?

Sarevok
12-21-2015, 06:42 AM
I'd be rather opposed to bombing Agrabah, if only on the off-chance that some over-eager military person might accidentally bomb Aqaba (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqaba), which would be... a rather bad idea. :)

The Unreasoner
12-21-2015, 12:59 PM
I'd be rather opposed to bombing Agrabah, if only on the off-chance that some over-eager military person might accidentally bomb Aqaba (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqaba), which would be... a rather bad idea. :)

Or 'a Ka'ba', which would be infinitely worse.

Though Ali-G was assured such cannot happen.

The Unreasoner
12-21-2015, 01:06 PM
It's not exactly difficult to find...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/GOPResults.pdf

It's Question 38

Only 13%, wow.

A few other interesting tidbits:

- 28% still support the Japanese Internment Policy during WWII.
- 26% think Islam should be illegal.
- 46% think we should have a national database of Muslims.
- 13% however think that people on the terrorist watch list should still be able to purchase firearms.

oh, and duh...

- 50% of respondents were evangelicals...
Much appreciated. My earlier cursory search just turned up more articles.

The article posted is a lousy one though. 'GOP Primary Candidates Make Outrageously Hawkish Public Statements' is not a news story. The poll showing what it did (about both parties) is horrifying. Why is it relegated to clickbait?

SomeOneElse
12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
I also support this idea. Where to vote for it?

Southpaw2012
12-27-2015, 12:21 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/27/this-time-democrats-have-fallen-for-that-old-agrabah-trick-5586627/

Southpaw2012
12-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Nothing tops Bernie bankrupt America with "free shit" Sanders blaming terrorism on global warming. Absolutely ludicrous and ignorant and the fact he has supporters shows the ignorance in this country.

Frenzy
12-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Seriously, Who clicks lone links like that anymore? you must trust your antivirus software more than i do.

i'm willing to bet it's about Democrats wanting to bomb Agrabah too. Which, combined with the previous poll, leads me to deduce that both Republicans and Democrats should be kept away from high office & probably shouldn't be allowed out in public without a minder.

Davian93
12-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Nothing tops Bernie bankrupt America with "free shit" Sanders blaming terrorism on global warming. Absolutely ludicrous and ignorant and the fact he has supporters shows the ignorance in this country.

Supporters...like the Pentagon, the Joint Chiefs, leading officials, etc.

All those crazy liberals.

GonzoTheGreat
12-28-2015, 04:44 AM
Supporters...like the Pentagon, the Joint Chiefs, leading officials, etc.

All those crazy liberals.
Donald Trump would probably abolish the Pentagon as soon as he became president. Maybe he would do the same thing that a previous Republican official did (then in Iraq), and tell the entire army "you're fired". Big question of course is: would he have the sense to first disarm them, or would he repeat the mistake of his predecessor?

Kimon
12-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Donald Trump would probably abolish the Pentagon as soon as he became president. Maybe he would do the same thing that a previous Republican official did (then in Iraq), and tell the entire army "you're fired". Big question of course is: would he have the sense to first disarm them, or would he repeat the mistake of his predecessor?

Trump doesn't frighten me anywhere near as much as Cruz or Carson. He's a demagogue, but he isn't stupid, or evangelical. Worse case scenario, he's like Cleon. That's still bad, but it still seems unlikely that he believes any of the nonsense that he's saying. He's just a show-man. I'm still convinced that he just was running as free publicity, with no actual intent at gaining the nomination, but then realized that with as weak as the Republican field is, and as naive and easily manipulated as most voters (regardless of which side of the aisle) are, that he could well be the strongest Republican candidate. Couple that with the fact many strongly dislike Hillary, and he has a very real chance of becoming president. Depressing, and embarrassing for the nation, but far less terrifying that say a Cruz or Carson presidency.

GonzoTheGreat
12-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, but what if he is deceiving you too?
I quite understand that you doubt he will keep all promises he makes to his followers. But he may not do what his detractors expect either.
Obama was like that too, after all. He still hasn't started his death panels, taken away all the guns from Republicans, nor declared world wide Marxist Sharia.

Rand al'Fain
12-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Having Trump and Clinton as the front runners of both parties is like having Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb as the top nominations. Take your pick for who is which.

Either way, we seem to be pretty screwed for President in the next 4 years.

GonzoTheGreat
12-31-2015, 04:03 AM
Hey, the choice could still turn out to be between Clinton and Fiorina. Wouldn't that be fun?