PDA

View Full Version : Al Jazeera America to end in April

Kimon
01-13-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm surprised that the numbers were so bad even considering how much competition there is in cable news, as I personally like it quite a bit better than MSNBC. Hopefully AT&T UVerse will do the honorable thing and finally carry BBC News as part of its normal HD package after the change so that I can at least have something other than just the internet and PBS available for decent news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35299367

One can't help but wonder if they regret the decision, even if they eventually are found to have been right (which may well be the case), to have produced that HGH story about Peyton Manning. It unfortunately was likely the first time that most here paid any attention to the network, and the story was clearly mishandled, even if correct. And, of course, the Islamic sounding name clearly also wasn't helping them gain a wide viewership here either...

Davian93
01-13-2016, 07:04 PM
They're too boring and serious...and they do too much in-depth reporting on serious (i.e. depressing) issues.

And they have a super scary Muslimy name.

Sadly these are actual reasons they went under.

Sadly, I follow them on Twitter, have their phone news app and watched them every morning when I worked from my home office. A sad day. We still have BBC Int'l at least.

Terez
01-14-2016, 02:45 AM
We still have Al Jazeera English. I follow both America and English on Facebook, but I don't watch the actual TV.