PDA

View Full Version : Alan Rickman :(

yks 6nnetu hing
01-14-2016, 08:55 AM
oh no :(

link (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/british-actor-alan-rickman-died/story?id=36283232)

it seems to be confirmed. At 69, I mean, I didn't realize he was 69, and when I look at the more recent pictures of him, it's obvious he's aged a lot since the Harry Potter movies, but still. 69 is not old by any means.

Khoram
01-14-2016, 09:26 AM
I hope we aren't going to need to start a 69 club, what with Bowie and now Rickman gone at 69. :(

Nazbaque
01-14-2016, 09:27 AM
But but but we needed him for the WoT movies!!

Davian93
01-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Very sad week...both Bowie and Rickman gone.

Terez
01-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Any time we get two big ones in a row like that, I always think "bad things come in threes".

GonzoTheGreat
01-14-2016, 10:51 AM
How old is Donald Trump?

Nazbaque
01-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Bad things gonzo. And don't make jokes. It's poor taste.

Terez
01-14-2016, 11:05 AM
There is another cult icon who came to my mind who also happens to be in very bad health. I googled and he's 69. :(

I hate superstitions...

Nazbaque
01-14-2016, 11:07 AM
There is another cult icon who came to my mind who also happens to be in very bad health. I googled and he's 69. :(

I hate superstitions...

Do I want to ask who?

Terez
01-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Probably not.

Nazbaque
01-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Alright I think I've been duly warned. Who is it?

Davian93
01-14-2016, 11:21 AM

I hate superstitions...

Big Dog isn't in bad health...he's rearing to go and campaigning strong for his wife.

sleepinghour
01-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Not to jinx anyone, but Tim Curry is also 69 and suffered a stroke a few years ago.

Terez
01-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Not to jinx anyone, but Tim Curry is also 69 and suffered a stroke a few years ago.
There it is. :( It was a major stroke, and he's now wheelchair-bound and unable to speak. He came to mind because Bowie and Rickman have similar cult followings.

Nazbaque
01-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Well I did ask.

Can we talk about something nicer now? You haven't by any chance gotten your hands on that manga I recommended, sleepinghour?

Davian93
01-14-2016, 11:36 AM
There it is. :( It was a major stroke, and he's now wheelchair-bound and unable to speak. He came to mind because Bowie and Rickman have similar cult followings.

Yeah, he's the obvious one of course...

Terez
01-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Sorry for raining on a proper mourning thread with my stupid superstitions.

There's the whole debate about mourning celebrities going around again, probably because this one got Potterfans so bad. (My generation reacted more to Bowie, particularly my cultish proto-goth circle of friends.)

We had this debate years ago on TL when a person who shall remain unnamed ranted about people who mourn celebrity deaths, but then I pointed out that we did the same thing with RJ. There are degrees of attachment to celebrity figures, and the length of the series was one reason why we felt so close to RJ. And we were the hard core with whom he had the most interaction (signings, etc. which could sometimes be intimate, cons, online Q&As which were rare but did happen).

Rickman had that kind of pull on the Potter fandom because the franchise was so hugely popular and went on for so long. Bowie had something similar because of his personality being so unique in stage and rock and film. He was the Goblin King; he was an icon of the sexual revolution; he was a phenomenal singer and a creative songwriter; he was an institution outside genre and form.

Brita
01-14-2016, 03:47 PM
I liked a quote I saw the other day in regards to Bowie's death. It went something like:

We mourn the loss of artists, not because we knew them, but because they helped us know ourselves.

Very sad to lose both. And cancer friggin' sucks.

Davian93
01-14-2016, 03:53 PM
he was a phenomenal singer and a creative songwriter:

He was a singular genius...he will be missed.

tworiverswoman
01-14-2016, 04:16 PM
I could listen to Alan Rickman speak for days and never notice the time go by. He had the most wonderful speaking voice. He performed in many more things than I ever saw, but those performances that I DID see are in my memory strongly.

Hans Gruber in Die Hard (funny and evil all at the same time.)

The Sherriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ("...and cancel Christmas!")

Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility - the first time I saw him as a non-villain

Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest - "By Grabthar's Hammer, you will be avenged!" (brought tears to my eyes)

Metatron in Dogma.

and of course, Professor Severus Snape in all the Harry Potter movies. Villain, Hero, really hard to say.

An amazing actor.

Terez
01-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Hans Gruber in Die Hard (funny and evil all at the same time.)
I have never seen Die Hard. I thought about watching it around Christmas because people were talking about it, but I didn't. Maybe I'll watch it now.

Professor Severus Snape in all the Harry Potter movies. Villain, Hero, really hard to say.
Definitely both. The best kind.

Maybe Celine Dion's husband counts as the third. He was 73, but he also died of cancer.

tworiverswoman
01-14-2016, 06:17 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Die Hard. It deserves its Blockbuster rating. And now I want to go watch it again, not least for watching Alan Rickman try to pull off an American accent during one scene so ... "close but not quite" that I couldn't quite settle on what part of the country he was doing.

Stop being superstitious! "Bad news comes in threes" isn't written in stone. But I didn't know Tim Curry was ill and that really makes me sad.

fionwe1987
01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
I don't get people who say you can't mourn celebrities. It's the most human of reactions, and worth something.
I'd be scared the day everyone just shrugs that someone they admired and obsessed over died.

Davian93
01-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Die Hard is both the best action movie ever made and the best Christmas movie ever made.

I just saw Bruce Willis in Misery on Broadway...now THAT was pure awesomeness.

Davian93
01-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest - "By Grabthar's Hammer, you will be avenged!" (brought tears to my eyes)

One of my favorite movies.

"By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings"

~utterly disgusted look on his face~

Really, really, really gonna miss Rickman.

Edit...found it!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/77eeaaeef69088de3a8509d2c5fd66c4/tumblr_n0bg3idAgm1r5k9koo3_r1_250.gif

tworiverswoman
01-14-2016, 08:54 PM
Heh. Seeing that clip reminded me of an interview with Sigourney Weaver. She said, "They put that blonde wig on me and my IQ dropped 40 points. Plus my boobs got bigger."

ShadowbaneX
01-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Heh. Seeing that clip reminded me of an interview with Sigourney Weaver. She said, "They put that blonde wig on me and my IQ dropped 40 points. Plus my boobs got bigger."

Reminds of this from Orphan Black (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kg7NTYGXBM).

yks 6nnetu hing
01-15-2016, 01:50 AM
In my head, it's a tie: Die Hard or Love Actually for best Christmas movie ever. Depends very much on my mood.

And Alan Rickman is in BOTH of them. Coincidence?

Also, Dogma. This was maybe *the* definitive "rebellious" movie of my teen years. Just so great.

Terez
01-15-2016, 07:00 AM
I rented Die Hard and Labyrinth. I have seen the latter but it's been a very long time. Watching Die Hard first; not quite halfway through.

Davian93
01-15-2016, 12:04 PM
I rented Die Hard and Labyrinth. I have seen the latter but it's been a very long time. Watching Die Hard first; not quite halfway through.

"We're gonna need some more FBI guys, I guess"

"Now I have a machine gun...Ho ho ho."

"Now I know what a TV dinner feels like"

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

"Hans...Bubby, I'm your white knight!"

"I'm an exceptional thief!"

Best quotes I can think of off the top of my head.

Mort
01-15-2016, 02:11 PM
I hope we aren't going to need to start a 69 club, what with Bowie and now Rickman gone at 69. :(

Lemmy Kilmister died as well recently, had just turned 70. Club 27 is now club 69 :(

Nazbaque
01-15-2016, 03:01 PM

"Yippee ki yay, mother fucker"

Terez
01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Now I am wondering if I have ever seen Rickman in anything else besides Harry Potter. I always thought his Snape voice was just a character voice, but apparently not.

Kimon
01-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Now I am wondering if I have ever seen Rickman in anything else besides Harry Potter. I always thought his Snape voice was just a character voice, but apparently not.

Did you see Costner's version of Robin Hood? Rickman was the Sheriff. Someone also mentioned that he was in Dogma, which unfortunately was the beginning of the slide into mediocrity for Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy on the other hand were all really excellent movies). He also was the voice of the depressed robot in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

ShadowbaneX
01-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Did you see Costner's version of Robin Hood? Rickman was the Sheriff. Someone also mentioned that he was in Dogma, which unfortunately was the beginning of the slide into mediocrity for Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy on the other hand were all really excellent movies). He also was the voice of the depressed robot in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

You forgot Galaxy Quest.

Davian93
01-15-2016, 06:33 PM
You forgot Galaxy Quest.

Possibly his finest role outside of Robin Hood.

Terez
01-15-2016, 06:41 PM
I have seen Robin Hood, but not since it came out. The one with the Bryan Adams song, right? It's been a while. I also did watch Hitchhiker's Guide but I don't remember much about Marvin in the movie. I did see Dogma, and someone mentioned on Facebook the other day that he was the voice of God, and I was like, wasn't God Alanis Morisette? He explained, but that shows you how well I remember it.

sleepinghour
01-15-2016, 06:43 PM
A photo of Tim Curry showed up in a tweet from Tor Books, which had posted tributes to Bowie and Alan Rickman earlier, so for an awful moment I thought I really had jinxed the poor guy. But it turned out he's just narrating The Rocky Horror Picture Show remake (http://www.tor.com/2016/01/15/tim-curry-rocky-horror-picture-show-remake/). So hopefully he's doing well at the moment.

ShadowbaneX
01-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Possibly his finest role outside of Robin Hood.

I feel like this statement would generate a good debate...but I'm tired.

Davian93
01-15-2016, 07:35 PM
I feel like this statement would generate a good debate...but I'm tired.

In all honesty, he's had so many great roles...but I think I love him in Galaxy Quest the most.

Even though he was literally the perfect casting for Severus Snape.

ShadowbaneX
01-15-2016, 07:41 PM
It's possible that JK Rowling had him in mind when creating the character. It would be hard to pick between Galaxy Quest & and Robin Hood. Plenty of other good ones, of course, but I love those two roles.

tworiverswoman
01-15-2016, 07:46 PM
The problem is trying to limit yourself to defining his "best" role. And frankly, I've never seen him be less than awesome no matter what he was in.

Another British actor and comedian, John Sessions, was on QI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYeI6Cn6dk) once and did some of the best impressions of Alan Rickman - he was spot on. He wasn't doing a comedy routine, the panel was just talking about him (Emma Thompson was on the panel, too). I've linked the clip up there - his answer to the little girl about him always playing villains made me snort.

Terez
01-15-2016, 08:12 PM
It's possible that JK Rowling had him in mind when creating the character.
That, I doubt, because of the way she described him physically. Skinny and snivelly, etc. Physically he was nothing like Rickman, but Rickman still nailed the character.

Another British actor and comedian, John Sessions, was on QI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYeI6Cn6dk) once and did some of the best impressions of Alan Rickman - he was spot on.
Yup, perfect.

Terez
01-15-2016, 10:11 PM
A photo of Tim Curry showed up in a tweet from Tor Books, which had posted tributes to Bowie and Alan Rickman earlier, so for an awful moment I thought I really had jinxed the poor guy. But it turned out he's just narrating The Rocky Horror Picture Show remake (http://www.tor.com/2016/01/15/tim-curry-rocky-horror-picture-show-remake/). So hopefully he's doing well at the moment.
That is good to know. Did you know they're also remaking Clue? I can't imagine how it could possibly be anywhere near as good with a different cast.

Daekyras
01-22-2016, 05:18 AM
I watched philosophers stone last night.

He was literally the only good performance in it. the rest of the big name cast were treating it like a school play and hamming it up. He acts his way through it.

I might even suffer Chamber of secrets tonight. Might!

Weiramon
02-03-2016, 02:09 PM

"Look mom - no Hans!"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yATxh46RxAA/SjmdtFkg4kI/AAAAAAAAAOU/JcMl0NSB4Hs/s400/gruber-falling-die-hard.jpg

RIP