PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more D&D players

Isabel
01-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Hi all,
a local (mostly) Theoryland international D&D group (over skype) is looking for more D&D players.
If you like D&D or if you would like to try to play D&D with us let me know. We play over skype on saturdays around 19.00 or 20.00 (+1 GT) or 13.00 or 14.00 (1.00 or 2.00 pm) (EST / NY time). Ofcourse we have to wait and see if you fit into the group and if you like it :p

Regards, Isabel

Nazbaque
01-25-2016, 01:56 PM
How exactly does one play D&D through skype?

The Unreasoner
01-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Yeah...I'd be too worried about weighted dice.

ShadowbaneX
01-25-2016, 06:36 PM
online dice apps/or channel bots. Well, that was more IRC, but I imagine similar exist for skype.

As for the offer, thanks Isa, but I've got a gaming group and am already in too many campaigns.

The Unreasoner
01-25-2016, 06:48 PM
And 10/11 on Saturday mornings? Lol.

Isabel
01-25-2016, 11:42 PM
:D there are online websites like roll d20 for the battle.
So that's no problem.

It's an international group with dutch, danish and American people, so that's why the weird times:)

GonzoTheGreat
01-26-2016, 03:06 AM
It's an international group with dutch, danish and American people, ...
Wouldn't that make it DD&A, though?

Nazbaque
01-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't that make it DD&A, though?

*Nosebleed*

GonzoTheGreat
01-26-2016, 09:40 AM
*Nosebleed*
I threw 12 with a d12 (don't have a d20, apparently*). Is that enough for a save from your attack spell?

* I do have a d4 and of course lots and lots of d6es.

Nazbaque
01-27-2016, 04:41 PM
I threw 12 with a d12 (don't have a d20, apparently*). Is that enough for a save from your attack spell?

* I do have a d4 and of course lots and lots of d6es.

You'll need a 0-99 pair of d10s and must get either 48, 69 or 96 exactly to prove your mind perverted enough to withstand the spell. Or you can throw a critical (01-09) to prove yourself impotent and super critical 00 makes you a eunuch.

The Unreasoner
01-28-2016, 01:57 PM
I've actually never played, though I've always been curious.

Isabel
01-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Well think about it and let me know :)

Nazbaque
01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Well think about it and let me know :)

Well a list of necessities would be helpful. What actual equipment is needed. What programs need to be installed. Links to rules and such.

Isabel
01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Well you don't need much to play ;)

We sometimes log into roll d20 website for battles and stuff.

Rules : i am sure someone has a rulebook :)

You don't even have to know for sure you want to play, perhaps you can listen in for one time. or get an explantion :) I will ask PD what he thinks is best, if you are interested.

The Unreasoner
01-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Rules : i am sure someone has a rulebook :)
lol. To paraphrase your compatriot: I'll google it.

You don't even have to know for sure you want to play, perhaps you can listen in for one time. or get an explantion
It's mostly that I keep running into references to it that I don't get. And people seem to enjoy it. I used to play something that...might be similar? The LotR tapletop game. Of course most of my models were unpainted. And the ones that were were no better off. But it still was fun and looked cool.
:) I will ask PD what he thinks is best, if you are interested.

PD?

Nazbaque
01-29-2016, 02:54 PM
So all I'd really need to get is a new headphone + microphone set?

Edit for Unreasoner:
lol. To paraphrase your compatriot: I'll google it.

It's mostly that I keep running into references to it that I don't get. And people seem to enjoy it. I used to play something that...might be similar? The LotR tapletop game. Of course most of my models were unpainted. And the ones that were were no better off. But it still was fun and looked cool.
It's pretty much like theater or make belief in form of a game with a set of rules.
PD?
Purple Dragon. Doesn't post these days. An entity to be reckoned with back when we had a working chat and the new users section had actual activity. DahL and I burned down his bakery once.

Purple Dragon
01-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Da heck ya mean WAS? i am ALWAYS a force to be reckoned with...

and we have PDF rulebooks, Monster Manuals, Players Handbooks etc... online dice, actual dice and more...

what we should perhaps also mention is that we tend to run individually made campaigns... this means that everything is pretty much made up by whoever is DM'ing.

we also tends to run Good aligned campaigns, meaning that it makes is VERY uncomfortable if someone decides to play an evil aligned character.

aside from that we have had all kinds of crazy crap, running from super-smart fireflies to an area so completely devoid of traps that a rogue spend 2 days searching for them...

Nazbaque
01-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Ha! I knew that would get a reaction out of you!

Btw, is that a typo or are you deliberately trapped ON your mind instead of IN it?

GonzoTheGreat
01-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Btw, is that a typo or are you deliberately trapped ON your mind instead of IN it?Maybe the mind simply isn't roomy enough to sit in comfortably.

Purple Dragon
01-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Ha! I knew that would get a reaction out of you!

Btw, is that a typo or are you deliberately trapped ON your mind instead of IN it?

don't MAKE typos...

Nazbaque
01-30-2016, 12:27 PM
don't MAKE typos...

Now PD, you shouldn't take that tone with me. After all, I outrank you.

The Unreasoner
01-30-2016, 02:42 PM
It's pretty much like theater or make belief in form of a game with a set of rules
So, could you play a version in the WoT universe?

Nazbaque
01-30-2016, 03:49 PM

Well yes, but getting an adapted rule book might be tough. Might have to make one yourself in fact. The basic shape is easy enough, but getting the numbers right so that the thing is balanced takes time and effort.

Sarevok
02-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Yup.

Well yes, but getting an adapted rule book might be tough. Might have to make one yourself in fact. The basic shape is easy enough, but getting the numbers right so that the thing is balanced takes time and effort.
Or you could just play the one that already exists. Or you could just play regular D&D and call the Sorceror a Channeler instead. :)

And to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet: we're playing D&D 3.5 edition. :)

Nazbaque
02-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Yup.

Or you could just play the one that already exists. Or you could just play regular D&D and call the Sorceror a Channeler instead. :)

And to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet: we're playing D&D 3.5 edition. :)

There's an official one? When did that happen?

ShadowbaneX
02-01-2016, 04:39 PM
There's an official one? When did that happen?
Many years ago...it's, not great.

Nazbaque
02-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Many years ago...it's, not great.

Ah, then we do have to make one.

ShadowbaneX
02-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Ah, then we do have to make one.

Good luck with that. I don't envy anyone trying to create a system that will properly represent channeling.

The Unreasoner
02-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Good luck with that. I don't envy anyone trying to create a system that will properly represent channeling.
I'm sort of surprised no one already has, tbh.

Nazbaque
02-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Well mostly the specific weaves would be spells and channeling would be a skill governed by the Willpower attribute. Beyond that is a list of hazards you have to take like the taint for example and of course you can take other traits that make these less of a nuisance and naturally the GM won't allow you to take them at low level. Basically being a channeler brings with it a lot of baggage that takes a lot of upgrading to negate.

fdsaf3
02-02-2016, 11:54 AM
I'm sort of surprised no one already has, tbh.

There was a Wheel of Time roleplaying game a while ago. I never played it, but I remember thumbing through the players handbook and thinking it seemed pretty cool.

I'll have to pass on the D&D here, but I will give a shout out to the roll20 website (assuming it still exists). I did that for a while a couple of years ago and worked pretty dang slick.

I've never played 3.5 personally, but I have played quite a bit of Pathfinder. I found Pathfinder to be a bit overwhelming for a newbie, but once you get the basics it's not bad. On a very related note, if any of you are interested in actual tabletop roleplaying for beginners, the Pathfinder beginner box is an outstanding entry point for new gamers. I ran the beginner campaign that comes in the box for three new players over the past weekend and we had a blast. We were table to pick up our pre-rolled character sheets and get going within 5-10 minutes. I had to explain the basics of combat and what skill checks are first, but that was it.

Honestly, D&D has come a long way since the olden days. There's a ton of support, a really active community, a bunch of standalone adventure modules....For me, it's a great hobby. The only downside is that it's not the kind of thing that you can easily bounce in and out of playing. If you want to play, you really need to commit to playing on a regular basis for a period of time. My group has an informal agreement to play a campaign lasting about 3 months playing weekly or biweekly (10-12 sessions). That's enough time to have a good story but not so long that it feels dragged out. The most important thing is having a good GM who puts time and effort into the story and players who actively roleplay and add flavor into the story.

I highly recommend checking it out if you're even at least a little interested. I think playing through Skype might be harder for new players than sitting around a table, but it can be tough to find a group who wants to play, too.

WinespringBrother
02-02-2016, 12:08 PM
I haven't played in ages but it sounds interesting...perhaps I'll lurk your next session

FWIW I have the WOT rpg as well as old D&D guides from 30 years ago lol

The Unreasoner
02-02-2016, 01:25 PM
The only downside is that it's not the kind of thing that you can easily bounce in and out of playing. If you want to play, you really need to commit to playing on a regular basis for a period of time. My group has an informal agreement to play a campaign lasting about 3 months playing weekly or biweekly (10-12 sessions).
Hummmm...
perhaps I'll lurk your next session
This sounds about right. I don't want to hold anything up if I am busy or lose interest, but I am still quite curious.

Isabel
02-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Well if anyone wants to join or lurk or whatever, PM me your skype user name and we try to call you this saturday.

ShadowbaneX
02-02-2016, 07:41 PM
When you say Willpower, do you mean White Wolf? I was thinking something like that. If you had specifiic stats for Fire, Earth, etc. that could work. You might need a varied number of successes to complete a weave though. So that Fire Sword might be a single success. A lightning bolt could require 2 or 3 successes on two seperate checks, one for Fire, one for Air. Normal Healing would be 3 checks, Nynaeve's would be 4 or 5, and when you think she drops it all at once...

Or it could be a stat...ugh, this is why I don't GM.

The Unreasoner
02-02-2016, 07:59 PM
When you say Willpower, do you mean White Wolf? I was thinking something like that. If you had specifiic stats for Fire, Earth, etc. that could work. You might need a varied number of successes to complete a weave though. So that Fire Sword might be a single success. A lightning bolt could require 2 or 3 successes on two seperate checks, one for Fire, one for Air. Normal Healing would be 3 checks, Nynaeve's would be 4 or 5, and when you think she drops it all at once...

Doesn't some Theorylander design games for fun? He may have already worked out the bones of it.

ShadowbaneX
02-02-2016, 09:24 PM
*shrug* There's probably something out there.

Nazbaque
02-02-2016, 09:39 PM

I wasn't thinking of any specific system. The attribute bonus + skill bonus + trait bonus + roll is a very standard formula for checks. I would bring the different elements in as traits for the channeling class.

Each weave would basically be a spell and you would cast it with a simple attribute + skill + traits + roll. The elements come in both at the trait part of the formula and as a requirement for the spells you want.

For example let's say the Flamesword weave requires Fire Element 2. Rand has his Fire Element at the maximum 5 so he gets a bonus for exceeding the requirement by 3. Rand also has the Spark trait and Massive One Power Strength trait which gave him a lot of trouble in the early game when his failed Willpower checks caused random channeling but now simply give him a massive bonus for weaving and decrease the cost of Stamina Points. So Rand's roll and bonus in the check clear him for Super Effective and the weave won't cost him any Stamina Points. The weave is now in effect and will function as Rand's equipped weapon in combat checks and his future weaves will be more difficult while the Flamesword stays in effect.

Ieyasu
02-03-2016, 02:00 AM
What edition? I may be interested... though not at that time, as I currently DM a group at my FLGS on saturdays...

fdsaf3
02-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I really don't think adapting channeling to a D&D type game would be that difficult to accomplish (at least for the most part - I'm sure there are corner cases that would need to be ironed out). One possible route is to treat channeling as a skill and let PCs make skill checks. Passive PvE type skill checks (i.e. channeling Air to lift a large rock) could be assigned a DC and the PC could roll a skill check. Channeling skill could be based on something like natural strength, affinity for the 5 powers, and so on. The GM would have to assign a DC, but that's their job.

Channeling in a PvP sense is a little trickier. Generally speaking I think it makes sense, but it gets a little wonky squaring competing checks in a D&D game sense with the story in the books. In D&D, if you're sneaking up on someone you compare your sneakiness and all of your modifiers against the perception skill check of the creature or person and all of their you're sneaking around. If their perception is higher than your sneakiness, they notice you. Channeling could work like that in theory, but then you'd have a possible situation where a channeler with significantly less strength overpowered someone with more strength. Obviously strength isn't everything when channeling PvP, but just bear with me. The point is that while it can work in a D&D sense, I'm not sure this kind of thing works perfectly from a roleplaying or cannonical story perspective. I'm sure if someone put some thought into it they could make it work fairly well.

Purple Dragon
02-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Now PD, you shouldn't take that tone with me. After all, I outrank you.

It IS possible to be higher rank and still inferior ;)

However... As
saturday rapidly gets nearer i wouldn't mind knowing who would like to partake, lurk, get more info or similar...

Drop me an IM... I will add you to Skype and contact you before normal game time to get you set up as needed.

fdsaf3
02-09-2016, 07:33 AM
How did the session go on Saturday?

Purple Dragon
02-11-2016, 11:50 AM
How did the session go on Saturday?

We have one more player.... We're are in a good place to add new so... Unless WSB changed his mind, we're good to go...

WinespringBrother
02-12-2016, 09:28 AM
We have one more player.... We're are in a good place to add new so... Unless WSB changed his mind, we're good to go...

I am still interested...pm me on skype or fb to remind me when next session starts

Purple Dragon
02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I am still interested...pm me on skype or fb to remind me when next session starts

We are now taking a "break" from me DM'ing... Due to a core player's job taking him away a month... We will therefore start a brand new game, with a shiney new DM... Anyone want to join the learning curve? B)