PDA

View Full Version : Why can't our xenophobia be this cute?

Kimon
04-20-2016, 06:20 PM
So the Chinese govt put our a new cartoon strip...

http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36089237

Davian93
04-20-2016, 07:00 PM
The honey pot/honey trap is a method that is still very commonly used by intelligence services across the world.

Not that unusual...the Chinese themselves use it quite a bit.

Nazbaque
04-21-2016, 12:22 AM
This is so wrong on so many levels. Drawing a comic like that in chibi style or whatever chibi is in Chinese. Making it for women when the cases with men falling for female spies are a lot more common. China warning women about anything at all is the hight of hypocracy. It's hard to tell if this is a warning or a threat. And to top it all Kimon spelled 'out' as 'our'.

GonzoTheGreat
04-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Why don't they, like, you know, simply show the James Bond series on their television?

Kimon
04-21-2016, 06:52 AM
This is so wrong on so many levels. Drawing a comic like that in chibi style or whatever chibi is in Chinese. Making it for women when the cases with men falling for female spies are a lot more common. China warning women about anything at all is the hight of hypocracy. It's hard to tell if this is a warning or a threat. And to top it all Kimon spelled 'out' as 'our'.

I usually review after I post to try to find and edit typing errors, sometimes I miss them. These things do happen, as you will note above...

Regarding Dav's caveat, definitely a legitimate concern, as is yours that men are just as, if not more, likely to be the target of that sort of seductive espionage, but I think that something else might really, or at least partially, be at play here. I think this might be directed at unmarried Chinese women perhaps as a consequence of their gender disparity, and perhaps a clandestine attempt by the Chinese govt to trick unmarried female Chinese govt employees that it is their patriotic duty to get married to a nice Chinese lad.

Well, that and I just thought the anime style, and the overall product were both quite well done, and well, cute. Much more endearing than say Donald Trump...

GonzoTheGreat
04-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Well, that and I just thought the anime style, and the overall product were both quite well done, and well, cute. Much more endearing than say Donald Trump...
Trump doesn't have red hair, so he can't be a spy.

yks 6nnetu hing
04-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Trump doesn't have red hair, so he can't be a spy.

that, and he's about as subtle and inconspicuous as an elephant in a china shop (I mean the porcelain china, not Chinese goods in general. the pun is a happy accident)

Nazbaque
04-21-2016, 08:19 AM
I usually review after I post to try to find and edit typing errors, sometimes I miss them. These things do happen, as you will note above...

And the irony is truly worthy of Muphry's law so I will leave it as is.

Ivhon
04-21-2016, 08:41 AM
What Naz said. Hightened by the irony of the closing commentary - a MAN was executed for selling state secrets.

Davian93
04-21-2016, 08:44 AM
What Naz said. Hightened by the irony of the closing commentary - a MAN was executed for selling state secrets.

Women are delicate flowers that cannot be held accountable for their actions.

Brita
04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Women are delicate flowers that cannot be held accountable for their actions.

Sweet! I have a good excuse for last weekend then.

Just kidding. I spent last weekend chauffeuring my kids and raking the lawn. Sigh.