PDA

View Full Version : MRA

Daekyras
04-27-2016, 08:26 AM
Hey guys,

Have any of you met an in the wild MRA?

They've been popping up in my online world a bit recently. I just have never met one in real life.

If you have, what was it like??

GonzoTheGreat
04-27-2016, 09:12 AM
MRA?
Magnetic resonance angiography?
Marketing research association?
Mauritius Revenue Authority?

The latter may have been alerted by the Panama Papers, though whey they would latch on to you I'll leave for you to explain.

PS I plucked those expansions from Wikipedia; plenty more where those came from.

Daekyras
04-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Ive met two of yours in real life.

But i meant a Mens Rights Activist. As you already knew Gonzo. Ive missed your razor sharp wit. :)

Terez
04-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Does Gonzo count?

Isabel
04-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Nope, thankfully not. those guys are scary.......

Nazbaque
04-27-2016, 12:48 PM
No matter whose rights the activists are for they're never calling for duties. Which basically means they're on the mental level of preteens and any points they might have are coincidental.

DahLliA
04-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Can't say I have. Then again I've never met a proper SJW or a proper fanatical feminist either.

People tend to be a bit more reasonable in real life where their stupid views are more likely to have consequences.

Also harder to dig a trench to jump into in real life.

Isabel
04-27-2016, 11:51 PM
I would call myself a SJW and feminist. Not sure if that fits your description of it.

Terez
04-27-2016, 11:58 PM
People use these terms differently and draw their lines in different places. I am from Mississippi; I know plenty of people whose philosophy probably lines up pretty well with MRAs. I don't know if any of them are actually on reddit and Twitter talking about this stuff, or if they go to MRA cons, or if they are writing manifestos and plotting to kill all the girls who had the audacity to reject them.

DahLliA
04-28-2016, 06:00 AM
I would call myself a SJW and feminist. Not sure if that fits your description of it.

My definition is anyone who completely refuse to see that the opposite side has some good points too is a SJW or MRA. Everyone with enough sense to admit that their opponent also right about some things is just a normal person with opinions.

So for me at least, both SJW and MRA are insults. "Feminist" too has been dragged so far into the mud that I can hardly see it as anything but a negative now. And I know that the average feminist isn't the ones who hate men and would shoot all of us as soon as they could artificially create sperm, but those are the ones who scream the loudest and therefore are allowed to define what feminism is today.

Also no issue is completely black and white, but most (online) discussions about issues like these end up with people going way too far over on their own side and then just throwing shit at the other side.

Isabel
04-28-2016, 10:32 AM
My definition is anyone who completely refuse to see that the opposite side has some good points too is a SJW or MRA. Everyone with enough sense to admit that their opponent also right about some things is just a normal person with opinions.

So for me at least, both SJW and MRA are insults. "Feminist" too has been dragged so far into the mud that I can hardly see it as anything but a negative now. And I know that the average feminist isn't the ones who hate men and would shoot all of us as soon as they could artificially create sperm, but those are the ones who scream the loudest and therefore are allowed to define what feminism is today.

Also no issue is completely black and white, but most (online) discussions about issues like these end up with people going way too far over on their own side and then just throwing shit at the other side.

In this case isn't it good for all women and men to embrace the term feminist and make it something good? :)

btw, haven't heard anything good in what MRA says.....

DahLliA
04-28-2016, 11:25 AM
In this case isn't it good for all women and men to embrace the term feminist and make it something good? :)

Not sure that's a battle that can be won :p
At least not until the sensible people in the middle of the issue learns to just plain ignore all the crazy people on the far edges.

btw, haven't heard anything good in what MRA says.....

Obviously this will depend on your location and MRA-variety, but here in Norway one thing is that men are discriminated against in trials to determine who gets to be the main provider of kids after a breakup. Which is a real issue.

So there's one thing at least, but then again. I don't think of that as an MRA-issue, but rather as an issue of equality. It's usually what the rabid MRAs use to defend their stance on other things though.

GonzoTheGreat
04-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Not sure that's a battle that can be won :pDoesn't mean it shouldn't be fought, does it?
'Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.'

At least not until the sensible people in the middle of the issue learns to just plain ignore all the crazy people on the far edges.But the problem isn't the sensible people; they'll be sensible about it. The problem is all the nonsensible people. Of which there are far too many.

I don't think of that as an MRA-issue, but rather as an issue of equality. It's usually what the rabid MRAs use to defend their stance on other things though.Annoying, isn't it, when people you disagree with pick an issue on which you agree with them?
Maybe it would be useful if we worked out a strategy to prevent this phenomenon henceforth.

Isabel
04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Not sure that's a battle that can be won :p
At least not until the sensible people in the middle of the issue learns to just plain ignore all the crazy people on the far edges.

Obviously this will depend on your location and MRA-variety, but here in Norway one thing is that men are discriminated against in trials to determine who gets to be the main provider of kids after a breakup. Which is a real issue.

So there's one thing at least, but then again. I don't think of that as an MRA-issue, but rather as an issue of equality. It's usually what the rabid MRAs use to defend their stance on other things though.

I agree that's a real issue, but not something I have heard the MRA talk about, but perhaps i have not looked hard enough.

Terez
04-28-2016, 01:04 PM
It's something feminists talk about a lot, because it all goes back to the antiquated assumption that women are supposed to be the sole caretakers of children.

DahLliA
04-28-2016, 04:12 PM
I agree that's a real issue, but not something I have heard the MRA talk about, but perhaps i have not looked hard enough.

Again, I think it depends on how you define an MRA. I think of them as the misogynists that claim feminists want to make men slaves and take all their rights away.
But in the sense of fighting for men's right I think a fair trial when it comes to responsibility for children is a nice fit.

It's something feminists talk about a lot, because it all goes back to the antiquated assumption that women are supposed to be the sole caretakers of children.

Problem is, that the "feminists"(I'll use quotes from now on to avoid confusion? :p) that hear about this claim it's a non-issue and that <insert female problem here> is much more important. Which pisses off men who are in this situation and then we're back to square one :p

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be fought, does it?
'Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.'

I wouldn't make a good Aiel, sorry :p

But the problem isn't the sensible people; they'll be sensible about it. The problem is all the nonsensible people. Of which there are far too many.

Well. Sensible people just give up and stop discussing this in the open. Letting all the crazies have full reign.

Annoying, isn't it, when people you disagree with pick an issue on which you agree with them?
Maybe it would be useful if we worked out a strategy to prevent this phenomenon henceforth

Already got a strategy. Just find something they're wrong about and repeat it over and over. Adding insults and expletives as you go.

Davian93
04-28-2016, 07:37 PM

And yet women still almost always get preference for that in the US...which is ridiculous.

Definitely not an MRA here but there are some few points on which they are right...but for the most part they tend to sound the same way white people do when they bitch about things like Affirmative Action or any other civil rights issue.

Frenzy
04-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Ever seen the movie PCU?

Terez
04-29-2016, 12:50 AM
And yet women still almost always get preference for that in the US...
Most women in the US don't identify as feminist...