PDA

View Full Version : TV series

Southpaw2012
04-28-2016, 04:19 PM
The Wheel of Time is coming to television. Don't know how to feel about this...

https://plus.google.com/103674399065634804648/posts/2ZHjeMMz7Q8

Kimon
04-28-2016, 04:29 PM
The Wheel of Time is coming to television. Don't know how to feel about this...

https://plus.google.com/103674399065634804648/posts/2ZHjeMMz7Q8

Your link at present is to an image of RJ in Rouen, looking at a statue of Jeanne d'Arc. No mention of a tv series.

Southpaw2012
04-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Your link at present is to an image of RJ in Rouen, looking at a statue of Jeanne d'Arc. No mention of a tv series.

You must have a google+ account and follow the official RJ WoT account to see it. Here is what it says:

The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 

Kimon
04-28-2016, 04:38 PM
You must have a google+ account and follow the official RJ WoT account to see it. Here is what it says:

The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 

Okay. Not much to go on if that's all that they have released so far. WoT unfortunately seems the sort of source material that would be far easier to massively screw up, than to adapt into something worthy. I still think the safest format would be anime.

fionwe1987
04-28-2016, 05:14 PM
I still could be animation. Animated TV series are a growing thing, so this could be one. The use of the phrase "cutting edge" to describe it is weird, and may indicate this.

That said, most likely this will be live action, and massively truncated form of the story we know. But still, there are reasons to be excited. For one, it will have the most extensive female cast for a TV show ever. And hopefully, whoever is at the helm will pick up the good and tamp down on the not so good aspects of the female cast of the series.

If it has positive things going for it, I'm happy to see a reimagining of the WoT story for TV. Maybe think of it as an alternate turning of the Wheel, where the Pattern of the story is broadly the same, but less constrained by hewing exactly to the books.

Khoram
04-28-2016, 08:50 PM
I am cautiously optimistic. I'm REALLY hoping they (whoever "they" are) do it justice.

As long as it isn't like that god-awful pilot, then I'll be okay. I think.

Terez
04-28-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm starting to think someone paid REE to set the bar ridiculously low.

rand
04-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Well, let's hope they do a decent job. If they're smart they'll take a cue from GoT and the attention to detail on that. It will still be interesting even if it sucks, just to see WoT on screen.

Isabel
04-28-2016, 11:17 PM
I also hope for the best:D it will be hard to make us all happy.

Terez
04-28-2016, 11:39 PM
More like impossible.

Apparently Jason and his crew are going to be involved somehow; Jason might have managed to get himself hired as producer. If they're supposed to be quiet about this on social media, they're not doing a very good job of it.

Frenzy
04-29-2016, 02:38 AM
i'm concerned, tbh. How will WoT live in a broadcast world that will compare it to GoT? There isn't anywhere near enough tits and gore to keep the ratings up where they need to be to keep viewership high enough to keep production funded.

Terez
04-29-2016, 02:42 AM
1. Not being on HBO is a good start.
2. The WoT/RJ references in ASOIAF are also helpful.
3. The fanbase is huge, with millions already having read the books.
4. The goretits attract a certain demographic; the subtler approach of WoT attracts another, perhaps comparably large demographic. Easy to forget that when, like many genre fans, you could go either way.

GonzoTheGreat
04-29-2016, 03:44 AM
i'm concerned, tbh. How will WoT live in a broadcast world that will compare it to GoT? There isn't anywhere near enough tits and gore to keep the ratings up where they need to be to keep viewership high enough to keep production funded.I suspect that a bit of focus on the BA and some DF groups could provide this kind of thing easily. Maybe the Aiel (with their conferences in sweat tents) could be brought in earlier in the series too, to provide some variety. Then there's the Sea Folk, of course ...

Mort
04-29-2016, 03:58 AM
If let's say the show would be on HBO/Showtime/Whatever, nippleslips can easily be added if that is what they need.

My main caveat against live action is that there are too many threads and too many books to practically make it into a series. How would you be able to get 20+ something characters, at least, to sign up for a 14 season deal? You want to be able to actually finish the thing if you start it.

If cutting is needed, what should be cut you think? Whole threads, parts of the story? A storytelling technique that cuts down the fluff around everything?

fionwe1987
04-29-2016, 06:36 AM
There is no way this will be 14 seasons. They will truncate the story massively. Expect it to be about the finding of Rand and friends and their eventual fight with the DO, but with many characters condensed down, and the same with storylines.

The bigger problem with staying true to the books is the minor characters. If you want some of these characters to appear for a bit in one season, not show up in the next few, then come back again where they're pretty much going to be in most episodes... Those aren't going to be easy contracts to write.

ShadowbaneX
04-29-2016, 06:39 AM
i'm concerned, tbh. How will WoT live in a broadcast world that will compare it to GoT? There isn't anywhere near enough tits and gore to keep the ratings up where they need to be to keep viewership high enough to keep production funded.

Shannara got renewed.

JOS
04-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Harriet is excited! For now, that is enough for me. :D

Terez
04-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Well, she just got a load of cash, so I wouldn't read too much into that. :D

Southpaw2012
04-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Well, she just got a load of cash, so I wouldn't read too much into that. :D

I'm sure she has plenty of that, so hopefully she used better judgment with this deal than with Red Eagle. It'd be sad to see The Wheel of Time crash and burn on tv.

fionwe1987
04-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Per Werthead from westeros, apparently an 8 figure sum changed hands. Pretty impressive, and that immediately eliminates a lot of smaller studios. Also, you don't option a property for that much unless you have a roadmap to production, so all the signs are encouraging.

Terez
04-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Wert got that from me. I told him it was a rumor. It came to me from someone who apparently talked to RJ's agent about trying to get in on this, not that she only told me privately; she's been posting about this more generally on social media. I've known her casually for several years, though; she was the one who started the deciphering Google Doc for the first WOTGH.

Davian93
04-29-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm sure she has plenty of that, so hopefully she used better judgment with this deal than with Red Eagle. It'd be sad to see The Wheel of Time crash and burn on tv.

Wasn't lack of money actually a concern right after RJ died...due to massive medical bills? I seem to recall something along those lines. I can't imagine she's hurting too much now thanks to the final books and the Companion but I don't think she was filthy rich either.

Terez
04-30-2016, 02:49 AM
Also don't forget Brandon said she gave him a generous portion of the royalties for his books.

Sarevok
04-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Wasn't lack of money actually a concern right after RJ died...due to massive medical bills? I seem to recall something along those lines. I can't imagine she's hurting too much now thanks to the final books and the Companion but I don't think she was filthy rich either.

Can't remember anything like that. There was some question about what would happen with the advance payment that RJ had gotten on the last books now that it wasn't certain whether they would happen.

SomeOneElse
04-30-2016, 12:19 PM
If it will ever go live it'll be just like sword of truth series in a sense that everything will be rehashed/truncated (if you've ever seen that one and read even the first 2 books by Goodkind you know what I'm talking about), but, while for the SOT it was good (I actually think the show was way better than books), with the WoT it won't work most probably and the plot and everything else shall be ruined.
Sadly, I don't think WoT will ever be successful as a TV show.

ShadowbaneX
04-30-2016, 12:52 PM
Studios have seen how successful a series like this can be, but as you've said, they've also seen how bad they can be with Sword of Truth. There's also the more middle road with the Shannara series, which wasn't stellar, but has been renewed.

As Frenzy said above it doesn't have as much Tits & Gore, as Game of Thrones, but there could be more fight scenes for the gore, it'll just be more Shadowspawn murder than human murder. As for the tits, well, they could expand upon the Sheniar Baths for some of that.

If a studio realizes that there is potential and they put time & money into it, it could work. If they do what Red Eagle did, well, then it'll suck.

Kimon
04-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Studios have seen how successful a series like this can be, but as you've said, they've also seen how bad they can be with Sword of Truth. There's also the more middle road with the Shannara series, which wasn't stellar, but has been renewed.

As Frenzy said above it doesn't have as much Tits & Gore, as Game of Thrones, but there could be more fight scenes for the gore, it'll just be more Shadowspawn murder than human murder. As for the tits, well, they could expand upon the Sheniar Baths for some of that.

If a studio realizes that there is potential and they put time & money into it, it could work. If they do what Red Eagle did, well, then it'll suck.

Channeling will also be a potentially disastrous problem. How will they manage to show that effectively in a live action show? What about Trollocs and Ogier? The Green Man? All of this could be adapted well if animated. But live action? I think the chances of a live action show coming off very badly is incredibly high. It's not just an issue of too many characters and too many books. aSoIaF is at its heart just a costume drama with an exciting mix of politics, violence, and nudity. It's a far simpler adaptation than WoT.

An animated version could also be potentially awful, and certainly would not guarantee something as beautiful say as those old Rankin-Bass 1970s versions of The Hobbit and The Last Unicorn, but something similar to either of those could make for an excellent version of WoT. Live action in contrast just seems far to likely to be either silly or nearly unrecognizable to the source material.

ShadowbaneX
04-30-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm certainly not saying it's going to be easy to pull off. Like I said, there's potential there, but a studio is going to have to put time & money (and CGI for the more fantastic elements). Animated could be easier, but if you're looking for a similar audience to GoT animated isn't going to work...but we've had the 'what format would be best for a WoT adaption' argument more than a few times here. Harry Potter pulled off all sorta of fantastic elements, so it's not impossible to give Shadowspawn a chance. It's going to need a good art team, or a good director (I'd love if Guillermo Del Toro for instance wound up with this project) to do effectively.

The other problem is Show & Tell. Do you show the Channeling, Min's Auras or Grey Men wandering past Guards as if the camera were a person present, or do you do the Exposition and just have the characters explain what happened afterwards? Each has it's own pros & cons. Like Rand's scene in Lord of Chaos trying to bring down his Shield? How do you do that? You could just have Min running at the chest where he is and then have it explode, then have him explain it to Min afterwards. Or you could have a scene in which Rand is on some metaphysical landscape with another actor cast as Lews Therin beside him explaining it.

Lews himself is going to be...interesting to pull off. Do you just have some random voice-overs yelling "Ilyena" randomly? That'd be just as difficult to pull off animated as live action. There are problems, but if they get some decent people to sit down, and plan it, and have a studio that gives those people leeway, rather than jerking their budget around, then it could be possible. I give it at most like a non-zero chance of happening because unless it's a MCU level blockbuster there's no evidence of that ever happening in Hollywood...but it is a non-zero chance. It could happen.

Mort
04-30-2016, 08:14 PM
I'm certainly not saying it's going to be easy to pull off. Like I said, there's potential there, but a studio is going to have to put time & money (and CGI for the more fantastic elements). Animated could be easier, but if you're looking for a similar audience to GoT animated isn't going to work...but we've had the 'what format would be best for a WoT adaption' argument more than a few times here. Harry Potter pulled off all sorta of fantastic elements, so it's not impossible to give Shadowspawn a chance. It's going to need a good art team, or a good director (I'd love if Guillermo Del Toro for instance wound up with this project) to do effectively.

The other problem is Show & Tell. Do you show the Channeling, Min's Auras or Grey Men wandering past Guards as if the camera were a person present, or do you do the Exposition and just have the characters explain what happened afterwards? Each has it's own pros & cons. Like Rand's scene in Lord of Chaos trying to bring down his Shield? How do you do that? You could just have Min running at the chest where he is and then have it explode, then have him explain it to Min afterwards. Or you could have a scene in which Rand is on some metaphysical landscape with another actor cast as Lews Therin beside him explaining it.

Lews himself is going to be...interesting to pull off. Do you just have some random voice-overs yelling "Ilyena" randomly? That'd be just as difficult to pull off animated as live action. There are problems, but if they get some decent people to sit down, and plan it, and have a studio that gives those people leeway, rather than jerking their budget around, then it could be possible. I give it at most like a non-zero chance of happening because unless it's a MCU level blockbuster there's no evidence of that ever happening in Hollywood...but it is a non-zero chance. It could happen.

The LTT thing is interesting. I'm imagining some kind of dreamscape reality where they both converse with each other, either Rand by himself or with some kind of entity similar to LTT. This is several seasons in though, at least until LTT really gets going.

The green man is a simple problem when all is considered. He's in the books for a bout whole 5 min of film. "Hey how are you doing, this is my quest, oops, bad ppl are coming.... aaaand I died and became a tree". :)

Channeling is probably just explained as threads that you see but no one else unless a channeler, then that's a rule, not really have to explain thread coloring etc, just explain it's complex and see the result. Maybe use a few key colors for different things, like mind altering stuff.

There are tons of cinematics to be thrown at this, none are really out of bounds for a studio.

Rand al'Fain
04-30-2016, 09:01 PM
The LTT thing is interesting. I'm imagining some kind of dreamscape reality where they both converse with each other, either Rand by himself or with some kind of entity similar to LTT. This is several seasons in though, at least until LTT really gets going.

The green man is a simple problem when all is considered. He's in the books for a bout whole 5 min of film. "Hey how are you doing, this is my quest, oops, bad ppl are coming.... aaaand I died and became a tree". :)

Channeling is probably just explained as threads that you see but no one else unless a channeler, then that's a rule, not really have to explain thread coloring etc, just explain it's complex and see the result. Maybe use a few key colors for different things, like mind altering stuff.

There are tons of cinematics to be thrown at this, none are really out of bounds for a studio.
Gonna need a lot of CGI effects for the big battles later on. The first book or two, maybe even three, should be okay with extras. After that though? We're talking LOTR and Hobbit levels of CGI.

Kimon
04-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Gonna need a lot of CGI effects for the big battles later on. The first book or two, maybe even three, should be okay with extras. After that though? We're talking LOTR and Hobbit levels of CGI.

Jackson's Hobbit was so bad that I couldn't finish watching his second movie even while on a flight from Chicago to Rome.

ShadowbaneX
04-30-2016, 10:24 PM

At first LTT is going to be nothing. Then just a voice. Rand's chest? Or when he's locked up in Far Madding? Dragonmount? Those will be different...if the series gets that far.

Even 5 minutes, probably more, of CGI for the Green Man, the Eye & then the Forsaken who's names I don't feel like looking up will be a lot of CGI.

rand
04-30-2016, 11:47 PM
A few thoughts:

Channeling could be done with mostly practical effects. Sure, you'd need CGI to make the actual threads appear, but the effects of the channeling--like explosions, people getting tossed around, etc.--can be done practically. So say Egwene blows up a building in Falme, they could use CGI to make the threads appear (which can't be that expensive, I hope--I mean, they're just squiggly lines, not dragons) and then actually blow up a building with explosives.

Have Trollocs be tall people in costumes, not CGI. Still expensive, but cheaper I assume than making them all in computers. Same with Loial. He doesn't have to actually be 10 feet tall. GoT got a guy who's 7'11" to play giants. As for the Green Man, either change him so he's not 15-20 feet tall, or use forced perspective to make a tall guy look even taller.

I mentioned this in my episode guide thread, but they could easily get away with building four sets for the vast majority of the indoor scenes: a common room, a palace hallway, a palace throne room, and a palace bedroom/royal chambers. Then just get the decoraters to redo the whole place depending on which palace they're supposed to be in. They could even have replaceable walls or something.

Filming outside in the middle of nowhere can be filmed pretty much anywhere. Europe or New Zealand seem like the go-to places for these types of things, but the Aiel Waste, IMO, should be shot in the American southwest.

Filming outdoor scenes in city streets could be tricky, but GoT shows that it's relatively easy to shoot in a modern city and pass it off as medieval.

For aerial shots of cities, it would be cool if they could build large miniatures of each one, like in LotR. It would look better than CGI, I think, though I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap to build, say, a twenty foot wide model of Tar Valon.

And all fighting should be practical. For larger battles like Dumai's Wells, pan back to show a brief CGI shot once or twice, then keep the rest more intimate fighting. Thankfully the battles (and the need for CGI in general) are few early on before steadily increasing. If the show is as successful as GoT (a huge if, obviously) they'd make enough to allow for more and more special effects as the series goes on.

Rand al'Fain
05-01-2016, 01:22 AM
Jackson's Hobbit was so bad that I couldn't finish watching his second movie even while on a flight from Chicago to Rome.

I was more referencing the fact that both used large amounts of CGI for the armies and large numbers of troops. Plot of The Hobbit trilogy is something else entirely.

@rand,
There is one place where CGI will need to be done in Eye of the World. When the Trollocs are chasing Rand and the gang all over the place and eventually towards Shadar Logoth. That was a force of several hundred Trollocs.

rand
05-01-2016, 09:25 AM
So you either make several hundred Trolloc costumes, or cut the number down to fifty or so.

Kimon
05-01-2016, 10:03 AM
I was more referencing the fact that both used large amounts of CGI for the armies and large numbers of troops. Plot of The Hobbit trilogy is something else entirely.

@rand,
There is one place where CGI will need to be done in Eye of the World. When the Trollocs are chasing Rand and the gang all over the place and eventually towards Shadar Logoth. That was a force of several hundred Trollocs.

I'd still prefer something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30LAj502mY&list=PLAVM8BJXhjZYGWrm2PoCEILpYottXJa_S&index=11

fionwe1987
05-01-2016, 12:24 PM
I'd still prefer something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30LAj502mY&list=PLAVM8BJXhjZYGWrm2PoCEILpYottXJa_S&index=11

I think this is a better representation of what animation is capable of, today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrHwtCLfZc

And frankly, the look, feel, and atmosphere of the animation of Legend of Korra has always struck me as perfect for WoT. Almost all of it is hand-drawn too. If you haven't watched it, I'd advise going through the entire 15 minutes of the video above. The action is fluid and unbelievable well choreographed. I can see so much of what an OP battle can be, in there.

To be fair, this isn't exactly inexpensive either. LoK's showrunners only got 13 episodes a season, but Nickelodeon never knew quite what to do with somethat that stood so far above their typical programming. In the hands of a good network that is committed to trying out animation as a route for adult drama, WoT can be brilliant. It'll be a risky gamble, but it'll also make WoT stand out. There's almost zero chance of it happening, but I would be extremely happy if it did.

Kimon
05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
I think this is a better representation of what animation is capable of, today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrHwtCLfZc

And frankly, the look, feel, and atmosphere of the animation of Legend of Korra has always struck me as perfect for WoT. Almost all of it is hand-drawn too. If you haven't watched it, I'd advise going through the entire 15 minutes of the video above. The action is fluid and unbelievable well choreographed. I can see so much of what an OP battle can be, in there.

To be fair, this isn't exactly inexpensive either. LoK's showrunners only got 13 episodes a season, but Nickelodeon never knew quite what to do with somethat that stood so far above their typical programming. In the hands of a good network that is committed to trying out animation as a route for adult drama, WoT can be brilliant. It'll be a risky gamble, but it'll also make WoT stand out. There's almost zero chance of it happening, but I would be extremely happy if it did.

I'm not familiar with this series, but yeah, similar feel, albeit the animation quality leaves something to be desired. And you can do an animated series in America that appeals to more than just kids or anime fans. Take for instance Archer, which is already in its 7th season. I really think that if they want to do the story justice, animation is the best option.

Terez
05-01-2016, 12:56 PM
I think WoT would be awesome as an animated series. It would be entirely possible to cut nothing. But I don't think that's what's going on here, and I'm okay with that, too.

Don't forget the battle at Tarwin's Gap in TEOTW.

Davian93
05-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Can't remember anything like that. There was some question about what would happen with the advance payment that RJ had gotten on the last books now that it wasn't certain whether they would happen.

I remember that discussion basically being "She can't afford to pay it back since it was basically spent on medical costs thus the books HAD to be written".

fionwe1987
05-01-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm not familiar with this series, but yeah, similar feel, albeit the animation quality leaves something to be desired.
Not sure if that's coz the version on here is low res. Barring that, I don't think I've seen better animation coreography. They might have skimped some on facial expression stuff this episode since it is action heavy and costs a lot to do, but for the most part, I don't think there's much better non-CGI animation to be had.

I highly recommend this series, and it's brilliant prequel, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Any fan of WoT should love both. However, NEVER watch The Last Airbender movie.

And you can do an animated series in America that appeals to more than just kids or anime fans. Take for instance Archer, which is already in its 7th season. I really think that if they want to do the story justice, animation is the best option.
I agree. Archer is a good example, though obviously they'll want WoT to have a far larger audience.

Rand al'Fain
05-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Not sure if that's coz the version on here is low res. Barring that, I don't think I've seen better animation coreography. They might have skimped some on facial expression stuff this episode since it is action heavy and costs a lot to do, but for the most part, I don't think there's much better non-CGI animation to be had.

I highly recommend this series, and it's brilliant prequel, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Any fan of WoT should love both. However, NEVER watch The Last Airbender movie.

I agree. Archer is a good example, though obviously they'll want WoT to have a far larger audience.
Oh yeah, I've watched both series. And definitely agree on the film. Great series, terrible movie adaptation.

The only real complaint was that season 2 (the first half) kind of rehashed season 1 in regards to the love triangle schtick (a bit ironic considering how the series ends).

But if WOT did an animated show like LOK or The Last Airbender, I think that would work quite well. Just need to make sure that it doesn't go to waste like LOK did on Nickelodeon.

Kimon
05-01-2016, 07:13 PM

I didn't mean the choreography, that was fine. I just didn't like the character designs. Perhaps it is just that I'm too used to the anime style, that the characters in your link (an American, rather than Japanese made show) just looked ugly by comparison.

That's obviously going to be somewhat subjective, but here's an example of what I'd consider better artwork. It's from Haruhi, dubbed unfortunately...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjjO2gWAq9I

Archer gets a pretty big audience. Much smaller than GoT, but GoT is on HBO and draws from a pretty wide audience demographic, as all the violence and nudity has wide appeal. A more pure fantasy show is going to be a bit more of a niche audience.

fionwe1987
05-02-2016, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah, I've watched both series. And definitely agree on the film. Great series, terrible movie adaptation.

The only real complaint was that season 2 (the first half) kind of rehashed season 1 in regards to the love triangle schtick (a bit ironic considering how the series ends).
Yeah Season 2 was the most inconsistent. And the romance was totally bleh.

But if WOT did an animated show like LOK or The Last Airbender, I think that would work quite well. Just need to make sure that it doesn't go to waste like LOK did on Nickelodeon.
I think we can safely assume Nickelodon wasn't allowed to get its hands on this, though Viacom might have. I hope however does get their hands on this don't let it go to waste.

I didn't mean the choreography, that was fine. I just didn't like the character designs. Perhaps it is just that I'm too used to the anime style, that the characters in your link (an American, rather than Japanese made show) just looked ugly by comparison.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the giant eyes and tiny noses in most Japanese anime. It is a distinct visual style, and can be quite suitable in some stories, but it would be all kinds of wrong for WoT.

And while I know this is entirely subjective and all, I think LoK characters look quite good (except when beaten up/poisoned/deranged with grief, as you see them here).

Archer gets a pretty big audience. Much smaller than GoT, but GoT is on HBO and draws from a pretty wide audience demographic, as all the violence and nudity has wide appeal. A more pure fantasy show is going to be a bit more of a niche audience.
I'm pretty sure any WoT TV show will have a lot of violence, as do the books.

The nudity... well WoT has a lot of it, mostly casual. I sure hope they don't add too much sexualized nudity just to get the ratings, but I'm afraid some increase is bound to happen, given GoT's execrable example. :(

Rand al'Fain
05-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Toss in the gai'shain right after being captured, audiences will flock.

rand
05-02-2016, 09:49 PM
I actually think they should cut the nudity. It's not like any of it is really vital to the plot or tone of Wot. Nudity and extreme violence really set the tone in asoiaf, so it's necessary for the show. But WoT isn't asoiaf and they shouldn't try to make it be. Hopefully they don't think copying GoT is the only way to be successful.

On an unrelated note, how do you guys think they'll portray the Ways? If it's completely pitch black except in their small orb of torchlight, you won't see anything on screen. How do you give viewers a sense of all the islands and bridges and ramps? You can't really show any of it, and it would be kind of awkward to just have Rand say "oh snap, we're crossing a bridge now!" On the other hand it would be really cheap to film, as you wouldn't need much of a set.

Kimon
05-02-2016, 10:39 PM
I actually think they should cut the nudity. It's not like any of it is really vital to the plot or tone of Wot. Nudity and extreme violence really set the tone in asoiaf, so it's necessary for the show. But WoT isn't asoiaf and they shouldn't try to make it be. Hopefully they don't think copying GoT is the only way to be successful.

Probably purely dependent on which channel it's on. If it's HBO, Showtime, Starz - there will be nudity. If it's on AMC, IFC, FX, Scyfy, BBCAmerica, etc. then there won't be any. Benefit of the former is bigger budget. I think it's highly unlikely that it would be on any of the regular networks, which is probably a good thing, as someone like FOX would be guaranteed to cancel it after one season regardless of how many watch it because they could make more money on another awful reality show that costs next to nothing to produce.

On an unrelated note, how do you guys think they'll portray the Ways? If it's completely pitch black except in their small orb of torchlight, you won't see anything on screen. How do you give viewers a sense of all the islands and bridges and ramps? You can't really show any of it, and it would be kind of awkward to just have Rand say "oh snap, we're crossing a bridge now!" On the other hand it would be really cheap to film, as you wouldn't need much of a set.

I've always pictured something similar to the trip through Moria, albeit more in the darkness of a path through the void than through a mountain range. Skimming will also be an interesting, and perhaps similar decision, but an issue for much later.

rand
05-03-2016, 12:36 AM
Going with the Moria idea, they could have Moiraine "risk a little light" like Gandalf and light up the Ways briefly, even if that contradicts the books a bit.

GonzoTheGreat
05-03-2016, 04:31 AM
Or they could make it darkish, as in deep twilight, and only make it totally dark when the Black Wind appears. That would probably be the simplest solution.

Terez
05-03-2016, 05:44 AM
It's not like scenes in 'total' darkness are uncommon; they always require a bit of suspension of disbelief.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-03-2016, 06:18 AM
but... didn't they have lanterns in the Ways? I seem to recall something about the circle of light extending much less than the Youngsters expected, which was creepy. and at some point they could see the crumbled guidance pillars / island railings and such.

Terez
05-03-2016, 06:29 AM
That was the point; the light has to be restricted in such a way that the total darkness remains outside that small circle. They usually had to get right up on things to see them.

Davian93
05-03-2016, 06:47 AM
as someone like FOX would be guaranteed to cancel it after one season regardless of how many watch it because they could make more money on another awful reality show that costs next to nothing to produce.

Who Wants To Be The Next Dragon!?!

Daekyras
05-03-2016, 07:30 AM
I'm excited.

I also hope they film it over here.

Vikings, GoT and currently Clan of the Cave bear(not announced as such but that's what it is) are filmed close by.

Mort
05-03-2016, 08:44 AM
At first LTT is going to be nothing. Then just a voice. Rand's chest? Or when he's locked up in Far Madding? Dragonmount? Those will be different...if the series gets that far.

Even 5 minutes, probably more, of CGI for the Green Man, the Eye & then the Forsaken who's names I don't feel like looking up will be a lot of CGI.

You must also remember that LOTR came out 15 years ago (feel old yet?). CGI have become easier and cheaper by a lot since then. Still not cheap, but making OK CGI today doesn't have to be as a huge deal as it once was.

Trollocks, Green Man and Ogier will likely be masked people, as someone said, using forced perspective or perhaps a green screen makes it easier to make them larger than they are. You dress up 20 trollocks, 20 soldiers, have them scanned into a computer, then multiply them into a few hundred or thousands. The larger the mass, the further away the camera will be and the less defined features will be visible and then also easier to multiply into large groups. It's rarely needed to show extreme detail to a large variety of trollocks, having a few at hand that show man on trollock fighting is enough.

If I didnt' have better things to do I would like to start a skimmed re-read and break the first (few) book up in scenes and see what we are really up against :)

Daekyras
05-03-2016, 09:51 AM
You must also remember that LOTR came out 15 years ago (feel old yet?). CGI have become easier and cheaper by a lot since then. Still not cheap, but making OK CGI today doesn't have to be as a huge deal as it once was.

Trollocks, Green Man and Ogier will likely be masked people, as someone said, using forced perspective or perhaps a green screen makes it easier to make them larger than they are. You dress up 20 trollocks, 20 soldiers, have them scanned into a computer, then multiply them into a few hundred or thousands. The larger the mass, the further away the camera will be and the less defined features will be visible and then also easier to multiply into large groups. It's rarely needed to show extreme detail to a large variety of trollocks, having a few at hand that show man on trollock fighting is enough.

If I didnt' have better things to do I would like to start a skimmed re-read and break the first (few) book up in scenes and see what we are really up against :)

A user named madeline Swann did that a while ago.

rand
05-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Did she ever actually do it though? I remember she started her thread like a month or two after mine, but I thought she just kind of left after a couple days. I'd be interested in seeing what she (or others) came up with.

GonzoTheGreat
05-04-2016, 04:06 AM
... as someone like FOX would be guaranteed to cancel it after one season regardless of how many watch it because they could make more money on another awful reality show that costs next to nothing to produce.
Who Wants To Be The Next Dragon!?!
Who Wants To Marry The Dragon would probably bring higher ratings. Plus, it would be easier to justify the next series, and the ones in other countries.

ShadowbaneX
05-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Who Wants To Marry The Dragon would probably bring higher ratings.

You might be on to something Gonzo. After buddy's made his choice for which girl he wants they have a surprise bonus round to see if there's a first-sister, who totally turns out to be that bitch that everyone hates and was kicked off the sow in the 3rd episode for that thing she did.

It'd be like LTT picking Ilyena and finding out she's first-sisters with Lanfear.

This will result in massive drama (aka ratings) as he tries to decide if it's worth marrying both for the one he loves or if the sister is so toxic that it's just not worth it.

Get in touch with Hollywood Gonzo...

bowlwoman
05-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Ooh, plus you get the "I'm not related to you, Elayne, but we have a common halfbrother" option that can really appeal to the Jerry Springer/Maury Povich set.

ShadowbaneX
05-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Well, I don't think that'd come up very often. Sure it works in the series, but I think Gonzo's idea is to have a WoT-level Bachelor-type thing.

fionwe1987
05-04-2016, 11:16 PM
:eek: Guys stop! The TV gods will hear and we'll get one for real.

GonzoTheGreat
05-05-2016, 03:39 AM
:eek: Guys stop! The TV gods will hear and we'll get one for real.
This is my idea! Do you really think anyone will try that for real?

ShadowbaneX
05-05-2016, 08:37 AM
This is my idea! Do you really think anyone will try that for real?
If there's anyone dumb enough to try it's Hollywood. Or Japan. There's a lot of weird stuff in Japan.

GonzoTheGreat
05-05-2016, 10:16 AM
If there's anyone dumb enough to try it's Hollywood. Or Japan. There's a lot of weird stuff in Japan.Japan I'll grant you. I am not (yet) convinced that even Hollywood would be that weird.

Though, to be honest, I think it more likely it'll be a Dutch production. Just like Big Brother, for instance.

ShadowbaneX
05-05-2016, 02:46 PM
I still think the sister-wife thing puts it more firmly in US hands.

GonzoTheGreat
05-06-2016, 03:29 AM
I still think the sister-wife thing puts it more firmly in US hands.
It is, obviously, an idea with a world wide appeal.

The sweat tents are like Scandinavian saunas. Aiel eating habits resemble Australian (bush tucker) cuisine. The Taraboner veils give a Middle Easter touch to things.

maleshub
05-14-2016, 08:56 PM
I hope this project succeeds and exceeds GoT. WoT as a book series beats GoT by a mile. Hope the TV series does the same.

Rand al'Fain
05-14-2016, 09:02 PM
I hope this project succeeds and exceeds GoT. WoT as a book series beats GoT by a mile. Hope the TV series does the same.

Agreed. GOT has it's moments, but something with a bit more humor to it (introducing, Mat Cauthon!) would be a nice change of pace.

maleshub
05-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Agreed. GOT has it's moments, but something with a bit more humor to it (introducing, Mat Cauthon!) would be a nice change of pace.

I'd love to see Mat in the series; and somehow see what RJ didn't get a chance to write (i.e. Mat's reclamation of Seanchan).

Tomp
05-24-2016, 02:08 AM
I Think they should wait with showing the power until our main cast of young people gets the ability to see the weaves and the glow around people (early book 2).
When Moiraine does stuff from the first book it should just happen and be mysterious.
The five different strands of the power should have a distinct color.

GonzoTheGreat
05-24-2016, 03:40 AM
Trouble is: you would need ten colours, since the difference between saidar and saidin is also important, occasionally, and once linking becomes commonplace (later on in the series) there will be people who can then see all ten varieties. And then different colours, especially when mixed in pairs or more, aren't really very easy to keep track of.

Tomp
05-24-2016, 06:38 AM
Trouble is: you would need ten colours, since the difference between saidar and saidin is also important, occasionally, and once linking becomes commonplace (later on in the series) there will be people who can then see all ten varieties. And then different colours, especially when mixed in pairs or more, aren't really very easy to keep track of.

Saidar and saidin can differ in other ways. One could consists of straight threads while the other may consist of jagged threads or differ in other ways.

Or
The watching audience may see both saidar and saidin but it's made apparent through dialogue that they can't see each others.

I don't think there'll be that many instances where you'll have to be able to distinguish between them.

One can probably work around that issue but it is an issue that needs to be adressed.

We'll see if they pull it off.

Tomp
05-24-2016, 06:52 AM
I think the principal cast should consist most of young unknowns.

BUT

Which main and side characters that are 30+ would you like to see cast with familiar faces and which known actor would be in which of those roles?

fionwe1987
05-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Which main and side characters that are 30+ would you like to see cast with familiar faces and which known actor would be in which of those roles?

There's no way in hell this will happen, but I want Cate Blanchett for Moiraine.

Kimon
05-24-2016, 11:59 AM

They could use shades. Say maroon for saidar fire, and scarlet for saidin, navy for saidin water, carolina blue for saidar's, and so on. That said, even including shades, there should be 11 colors, not ten, since they'd need to account eventually for the True Power as well. Which does sort of beg the question, what color should TP be? Black?

Kimon
05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
There's no way in hell this will happen, but I want Cate Blanchett for Moiraine.

A blond Moiraine? Cate Blanchett is also a bit tall for Moiraine. Rachel Weisz is more what I picture, though even she is too tall at 5'6". Would people really want many recognizable faces?

Mort
05-24-2016, 12:06 PM
I Think they should wait with showing the power until our main cast of young people gets the ability to see the weaves and the glow around people (early book 2).
When Moiraine does stuff from the first book it should just happen and be mysterious.

I'm not so picky that I need them to spell out each weaving perfectly all the time. Explain it to the audience and then leave it be. Not a major plot hole here. Show weaves when they need to be shown. When introduced to the young ones, when they are trying to learn or doing something that would be best visualized by showing weaves (all types of mind control etc that doesn't have a visual effect of it self). For everything else; when someone makes a fireball etc, just show the fireball. We'll get it.

I think the principal cast should consist most of young unknowns.

BUT

How about Sean Bean as Ingtar? :D

Weird Harold
05-24-2016, 01:01 PM
They could use shades. Say maroon for saidar fire, and scarlet for saidin, navy for saidin water, carolina blue for saidar's, and so on. That said, even including shades, there should be 11 colors, not ten, since they'd need to account eventually for the True Power as well. Which does sort of beg the question, what color should TP be? Black?

Show Saidar in pastels and Saidin as bold primary colors. Show True Power as complementary colors of the bold primary colors.

Rand al'Fain
05-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Not sure if they'll go that deep into the weaves though. They could, but that's a LOT of extra CGI in there.

And Rachel Weisz as Moiraine? I could see it. Sean Bean as Ingtar? But they never actually show his death on screen, so to speak. Maybe as Ishamael up until Falme?

fionwe1987
05-24-2016, 02:21 PM
A blond Moiraine? Cate Blanchett is also a bit tall for Moiraine. Rachel Weisz is more what I picture, though even she is too tall at 5'6". Would people really want many recognizable faces?

Hair color can be changed, you know. :D

Sean Bean can be Lan. It would be a nice inversion. Lan is the guy who's eternally ready to die, but never does.

Rand al'Fain
05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Hair color can be changed, you know. :D

Sean Bean can be Lan. It would be a nice inversion. Lan is the guy who's eternally ready to die, but never does.

Sadly, it kind of defeats having Mr. Bean as Lan.

maleshub
05-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Sadly, it kind of defeats having Mr. Bean as Lan.

:eek: Mr. Bean (https://www.google.com/search?q=mr.+bean&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwit2v21z_PMAhUJXBQKHYfhAbMQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1) as Lan :p

Rand al'Fain
05-24-2016, 05:33 PM
:eek: Mr. Bean (https://www.google.com/search?q=mr.+bean&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwit2v21z_PMAhUJXBQKHYfhAbMQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1) as Lan :p

I can see it... In a parody.

Yeah, realized what I typed after I posted it.

GonzoTheGreat
05-25-2016, 03:47 AM
When Demandred shields M'Hael/Taim, he uses a True Power shield that is made up of pure Spirit. So the TP is most likely also divided into five different flavours.

Davian93
05-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Idris Elba as Lan...just because damnit!!!

And because he's awesome in everything he does.

fionwe1987
05-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Idris Elba as Lan...just because damnit!!!

And because he's awesome in everything he does.
I could see that. As in he'd be a great fit. Obviously, he won't commit to such a show.

Nazbaque
05-30-2016, 02:38 PM
A very compelling reason to favor animation for WoT is that a 1000+ characters can be performed by about 50 voice actors. There are others, but if it were to be done as live action, a lot of things could be solved by POV filming. Min's auras and channeling effects could be done this way while in normal view you only see the results of channeling and there are a lot of ways to use it as a drama tool. Think for example the attack on the al'Thor farm at the very beginning. When Rand goes back to the house, parts of it could be filmed from his point of view such as peeking around a corner or opening the door. It would make many situations more dramatic and getting viewers used to this routine early would pay off later when you want to show how a world is different for a channeler.

Rand al'Fain
05-30-2016, 06:39 PM
A very compelling reason to favor animation for WoT is that a 1000+ characters can be performed by about 50 voice actors. There are others, but if it were to be done as live action, a lot of things could be solved by POV filming. Min's auras and channeling effects could be done this way while in normal view you only see the results of channeling and there are a lot of ways to use it as a drama tool. Think for example the attack on the al'Thor farm at the very beginning. When Rand goes back to the house, parts of it could be filmed from his point of view such as peeking around a corner or opening the door. It would make many situations more dramatic and getting viewers used to this routine early would pay off later when you want to show how a world is different for a channeler.
I know myself and a couple others have said we're all for an animated series, provided the art style is done right, but the only problem, is that there is still a HUGE dogma against animation in the West. In that, anything animated, is solely for children. Obviously, not true (Heavy Metal comes to mind as something animated in the West and certainly not for kids), but it remains.

ChrisW
05-31-2016, 01:33 AM
Hugh Laurie as Thom (http://www.wheeloftime.tv/2016/05/casting-wheel-of-time-throm-merrilin.html)

klye
06-01-2016, 12:25 PM
It feels a bit odd that an announcement has not yet been made. Any news folks?

Rand al'Fain
06-01-2016, 01:00 PM
It feels a bit odd that an announcement has not yet been made. Any news folks?

IGN did an article. But all that's been said is that the studio will be making an announcement soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/29/the-wheel-of-time-will-be-adapted-as-a-tv-series

klye
06-28-2016, 10:30 PM
I wonder - could this big time studio be waiting on the GOT finale before their announcement?

Anybody know whats going on with this TV rendition?

Rand al'Fain
06-29-2016, 12:30 AM
I wonder - could this big time studio be waiting on the GOT finale before their announcement?

Anybody know whats going on with this TV rendition?

Honestly, if anyone on here had any inside info, it would most likely be one of the posters that has been in contact with Harriet. Otherwise, the only thing that's out there, is that some big studio bought it up.

Though my guess would be HBO, all things considered. GOT is drawing to a close (like one or two more seasons at most), and they'll need something else to take that spot.

Tomp
07-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Hugh Laurie as Thom (http://www.wheeloftime.tv/2016/05/casting-wheel-of-time-throm-merrilin.html)

A good pick and then he'd get to limp again. I'm sure he's missed it.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtD-yY00dk) kind of fits in with his relationship with Morgase and Elayne in a kind of creepy pedo way.

klye
07-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Obviously I have no idea what is the normal time schedule for these things. But it's been another two weeks. Anyone hear news about the TV show? What could be a hold up behind an announcement of who owns the rights now?!?

GonzoTheGreat
07-18-2016, 11:46 AM
The fact that they don't know?

Any resemblance between legal rulings and logic is coincidental and not the fault of the universe.

ShadowbaneX
07-26-2016, 09:58 AM
So one of my coworkers just had an interesting idea: what if the TV series isn't based on the books, but instead based on what was to come after, like Mat & Tuon retaking Seanchan.

For those that are worried about the lack of GoT-style gore & nudity in the early books and the lack of an audience draw that might represent, this could certainly provide for that...and give more of a wrap up that was given.

Rand al'Fain
07-26-2016, 10:03 AM
So one of my coworkers just had an interesting idea: what if the TV series isn't based on the books, but instead based on what was to come after, like Mat & Tuon retaking Seanchan.

For those that are worried about the lack of GoT-style gore & nudity in the early books and the lack of an audience draw that might represent, this could certainly provide for that...and give more of a wrap up that was given.

... Think people will complain about the lack of incestuous relationships that basically drove the GOT plotline?

ShadowbaneX
07-26-2016, 10:13 AM
That's what works with setting it after Tarmon Gaidon: they can add/steal whatever they want to.

Rand al'Fain
07-26-2016, 11:40 AM
That's what works with setting it after Tarmon Gaidon: they can add/steal whatever they want to.

Mat and Tuon are actually long lost siblings!

Aviendha's kids and Elayne's kids have secret get togethers!

Elayne actually bathes in lukewarm water!

There's your GOT twists.

GonzoTheGreat
07-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Rand can start pining for Egwene, while having children with Min.

Shara can have customs which embarrass the Sea Folk.

ShadowbaneX
07-26-2016, 12:02 PM
You can also add Judge Tuon for all your murderous gore needs. If you need to get kinky you've got the wolfkin for the furries and the damane for the 50 shades crowd. It could be all things to all people!

WinespringBrother
07-27-2016, 09:48 AM
You can also add Judge Tuon for all your murderous gore needs. If you need to get kinky you've got the wolfkin for the furries and the damane for the 50 shades crowd. It could be all things to all people!

If the TV series will be post TG they could base it on Twin Towers! We could get royalties! :D:cool:;)

ShadowbaneX
07-27-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm in...

then again, do I really want all that stupid crap I wrote in my mid-20s out there for the world to see?

GonzoTheGreat
07-28-2016, 03:36 AM
I'm in...

then again, do I really want all that stupid crap I wrote in my mid-20s out there for the world to see?
Just ask yourself: which of your characters would be played by Kim Kardashian?

ShadowbaneX
07-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Of mine? None. She could totally play Elaida though. I'd be ok with that.

Rand al'Fain
07-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Of mine? None. She could totally play Elaida though. I'd be ok with that.

Kinky. Very kinky.

Weird Harold
07-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Not one of my characters, but...

Which BA came to the most gruesome end? :p

ShadowbaneX
07-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Kinky. Very kinky.
Not really. Elaida almost got what she deserved. I wanted her to die off screen, but buried anonymously and to never be heard from again.

Being taken as a damane, well, I suppose it's close enough. I suppose, getting back to the idea above, if the TV series were set post-Last Battle, then it's possible that she could show up and annoy us again, but I choose to believe she's set up somewhere useless and lives out an utterly useless existence where she then dies and is forgotten...you know, the same sorta fate I'd wish on the Kardashians.

Rand al'Fain
07-30-2016, 01:52 AM
Not really. Elaida almost got what she deserved. I wanted her to die off screen, but buried anonymously and to never be heard from again.

Being taken as a damane, well, I suppose it's close enough. I suppose, getting back to the idea above, if the TV series were set post-Last Battle, then it's possible that she could show up and annoy us again, but I choose to believe she's set up somewhere useless and lives out an utterly useless existence where she then dies and is forgotten...you know, the same sorta fate I'd wish on the Kardashians.

Oh, that? I was thinking back to the "pillow-sisters" talk, and her "pillow-sister" would be, uh, what would Caitlyn Jenner be? Her step-mother or step-father?

ShadowbaneX
07-30-2016, 09:27 AM
No. Just...no.

klye
09-02-2016, 11:44 AM
... and still no info on the NAME of the studio. I suppose that means yet more legal entanglements have occurred. Any info folks?

Sarevok
09-03-2016, 02:44 AM
... and still no info on the NAME of the studio. I suppose that means yet more legal entanglements have occurred. Any info folks?

Nope. And as I understood it, it was only an option, so no guarantee they'll even make anything.

ChrisW
09-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Small update from Alan Romanczuk: http://www.wheeloftime.tv/2016/09/mumsmoms-word-on-wheel-of-time-tv-show.html

Lupusdeusest
09-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Chris, where in Queensland are you??!!!

Rand al'Fain
09-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Honestly expecting it to be from HBO. With GOT winding down, and with fewer episodes the next two seasons, they need something to fill in the slot. So, why not another epic fantasy series that already has an established following, along with being completed?

ChrisW
09-13-2016, 04:16 AM
Chris, where in Queensland are you??!!!Brisbane...Do I need to lock my doors now?!?:eek:

GonzoTheGreat
09-13-2016, 04:30 AM
Brisbane...Do I need to lock my doors now?!?:eek:Lock your neighbour's doors. Then that house will come under siege, and you won't be bothered.

klye
12-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Seriously. No info. Not even the NAME of the studio. Whats up there folks?

Sarevok
12-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Seriously. No info. Not even the NAME of the studio. Whats up there folks?

The option to make something has been sold. Might well be to some large studio sitting on 100s of IP rights that they never use. Just the fact that someone has and option doesn't mean they will make it.
And honestly, I'd rather see it not being done at all than done bad, if those are the option.

And I just realized something: if they want it to be the next Game of Thrones, they'll have to wait for the original to be over, first...

Nazbaque
12-20-2016, 06:46 PM
The option to make something has been sold. Might well be to some large studio sitting on 100s of IP rights that they never use. Just the fact that someone has and option doesn't mean they will make it.
And honestly, I'd rather see it not being done at all than done bad, if those are the option.

And I just realized something: if they want it to be the next Game of Thrones, they'll have to wait for the original to be over, first...

Good or bad, popular might mean enough money for a remake in our lifetime. That time around they might fix things that the first was criticised on. Not quite up to my usual standards of cynicism I know, but this sort of thing has happened before.

Terez
12-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Another rumor in the rumor mill, from this post (http://www.wheeloftime.tv/2016/05/wheel-of-time-tv-series-speculation.html) which laughably used my rumor-mongering as a source. In the comments:

I have a friend who works for Amazon, and he tells me they were heavily involved in negotiations for the rights to Wheel of Time. Jeff Bezos loved the books and felt that wot would be great for their platform.
Grain of salt, and all.

ChrisW
01-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Heh atleast he named you as the source unlike Adam:)

GonzoTheGreat
01-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Grain of salt, and all.
Are you trying to imply that Terez isn't dependable?

Tomp
01-02-2017, 08:33 AM
IF they are going to make it as a tv series I think it's wise to take your time with it and hammer out most of the things that may be difficult to do. Planning how to tackle them right instead of plodding along and adress the problems of this production as they pop up along the way.

I'm sure this is the one project where you want to have thought it through a couple of times before starting mayor production.

Terez
01-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Are you trying to imply that Terez isn't dependable?
Well in that case I was talking about the dude who made the comment. I think I am pretty dependable but there's a difference between me being knowledgeable and me talking out of my ass.

klye
03-26-2017, 08:39 PM
...still nothing.

I've been checking every now and then for news. But the lack of an announcement of the studio name is fairly ominous. It is a year yet when they first announced the right were sold to a "large studio"?

ShadowbaneX
03-27-2017, 07:44 PM
...still nothing.

I've been checking every now and then for news. But the lack of an announcement of the studio name is fairly ominous. It is a year yet when they first announced the right were sold to a "large studio"?

Then just do like the rest of us and ignore it until there is news. Watched pot never boils and all that jazz.

rand
04-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Finally! Just saw this at TOR:

"The wait is officially over! We are happy to announce that HBO has purchased the rights to Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time fantasy series. Filming will reportedly begin in early Spring of 2018, with the first season starting a year later in Spring 2019. While few details about the crew have been released so far, we can confirm that Brandon Sanderson has agreed to help with the project in some capacity, rumored to be dialogue writing. But it's the cast list that really has us excited here at TOR. We'll have to wait a while for the full list to get leaked, but as of now we know of five beloved characters that have already been cast. Moiraine will reportedly be played by Rosanne Barr, while her counterpart Lan will be played by John Goodman april fools. Thom Merriln will be played by a presumably aged-up Adam Sandler, and Andy Serkis will play Padan Fain as a motion capture, CGI figure. And Keith Richards will make a cameo appearance as Aginor. Well, that's all we know for now, but it's certainly enough to get us licking our chops and smoothing our skirts in anticipation! Keep checking in, as more details are sure to flood in in the coming weeks."

Rand al'Fain
04-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Yeah, April Fool's can be cruel.

GonzoTheGreat
04-04-2017, 03:10 AM
Are you sure that it wasn't fake news instead?

skaywalker
04-20-2017, 08:27 AM
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

There's one piece of news.

DahLliA
04-20-2017, 10:19 AM
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

There's one piece of news.

"Sony will produce along with Red Eagle Entertainment"

That does not inspire confidence. Hopefully Red Eagle is kept as far away as possible.

connabard
04-20-2017, 10:20 AM
So did Harriet get the rights back from the people that made that awful, tremendously terrible 10-ish minute video thing? Or what?

Someone ELI5

rand
04-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Well, let's hope something comes of it, at least. Maybe they're giving out more details at Jordancon? If anyone's interested, this guy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafe_Judkins) is apparently the writer/showrunner.

Infidel
04-20-2017, 11:43 AM
So did Harriet get the rights back from the people that made that awful, tremendously terrible 10-ish minute video thing? Or what?

Someone ELI5

Nope, Red Eagle is the knuckle-dragging outfit that blessed us with the zany "Winter's Dragon."

Sony managed to fuck up Spider Man, repeatedly.

What could possibly go wrong?

Davian93
04-20-2017, 08:30 PM
This would probably work best as an Amazon show or a Netflix show...I wonder who they'll try to get to pick it up...network wise that is.

fionwe1987
04-20-2017, 10:17 PM

Wrong Sony. You're thinking of the parent Sony Pictures, which makes movies. Sony Pictures Television makes TV shows. Like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. In the Spec. Fic. genre, they've made Outlander, and are making the Dark Tower TV show.

All said, I don't think WoT could have landed a better production house. Now if only Netflix or Amazon pick up the option...

ShadowbaneX
04-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Nope, Red Eagle is the knuckle-dragging outfit that blessed us with the zany "Winter's Dragon."

What could possibly go wrong?

media's been pretty good as of late. Pickles might be pulled, but I'm not holding my breathe.

GonzoTheGreat
04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Pickles might be pulled, but I'm not holding my breathe.
Mind, surprisingly often it is more effective to hold someone else's breath. Gets lots more cooperation, for some reason.