PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Bathroom Bill

GonzoTheGreat
06-11-2016, 04:39 AM
The thing has another (more official) name, but I think this'll do for the purpose of this thread. If not, then I'll see whether I can change the thread title to a more accurate one.

Anyways, I came up with a potential legal conundrum resulting from this bill, and (based on reading parts of the actual text of it) it seems that the problem I thought of is real. So I decided to see whether anyone could offer a proper legal answer to my question.

First, a few quotes from the bill, to set the stage for the problem I spotted:
Biological sex. – The physical condition of being male or female, which is stated on a person's birth certificate.
(c) Accommodations Permitted. – Nothing in this section shall prohibit local boards of education from providing accommodations such as single occupancy bathroom or changing facilities or controlled use of faculty facilities upon a request due to special circumstances, but in no event shall that accommodation result in the local boards of education allowing a student to use a multiple occupancy bathroom or changing facility designated under subsection (b) of this section for a sex other than the student's biological sex.Now, my question is the following: if someone does not have a birth certificate (which can happen; for instance if that person was born in a place where such things are simply not used), then would such a person have a right to use any bathroom facility at will, or none at all?

Nazbaque
06-11-2016, 04:45 AM
So it's illegal to use a bathroom? Better poop outside it then.

Terez
06-11-2016, 05:00 AM
That's illegal too.

GonzoTheGreat
06-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Not being in NC at all would obviously be a practical and reasonable solution, but it's the legal issue which I'm asking about here.

Terez
06-11-2016, 05:28 AM
I think you scared off all our lawyers.

Nazbaque
That's illegal too.

So soiling yourself is not just embarrassing, but a criminal act? Now that is victim blaming.

Terez
Prosecutor discretion is advised.

Nazbaque
06-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Does this apply to babies? Now that would make it hard to find law abiding citizens.

GonzoTheGreat
06-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Does this apply to babies? Now that would make it hard to find law abiding citizens.
I think that babies would fall under an exception, though I'm not quite sure which of the following clauses would pertain:
(5) To receive assistance in using the facility.

(6) To accompany a person other than a student needing assistance. I don't think it would matter much; not even lawyers would find it easy to argue about this one I think.

Davian93
06-11-2016, 01:34 PM
My wife and I were going rent a cabin outside of Asheville, NC this fall for a vacation...but we cancelled it because we honestly didn't want to visit a state run by bigots.

EDIT: So we're going to Nova Scotia instead...so there's a few thousand lost for your state economy, NC. I'm sure we're not alone in our refusal to support your hatred.