PDA

View Full Version : Shannara Chronicles (MTV)

Sukoto
07-07-2016, 01:23 AM
So, I noticed the Shannara chronicles on Netflix this week, and I started watching. It's an adaptation of Elfstones/book 2 of the trilogy. I don't think I ever read the book. Anyway, I hope the Wheel of Time will be made better than this. Shannara isn't bad, per se, but it's not great. The landscapes are nice, but the acting is too modern-day America transplanted into a fantasy world for my taste. The main male character sounds like he's from New York City. And the main female character sounds like she's from L.A.

I'd like WoT to be as well-made as the Lord of the Rings movies. Is that too much to ask?

Mort
07-07-2016, 06:06 AM
If you don't want to pay the production cost of LoTR but still have the same results, yes it is too much to ask :)

Nazbaque
07-07-2016, 07:51 AM
Why do you want it to end up like LotR?

GonzoTheGreat
07-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Because then there would be a Hobbit-like sequel of equal length too?

Nazbaque
07-07-2016, 09:55 AM
So the whole thing is crammed into three movies and then New Spring is streched out into three movies?

ShadowbaneX
07-07-2016, 12:44 PM
You've got at least a movie and a half for the Ravens prologue that they tacked on to the YA version of the novel, so they could do it.

Khoram
07-07-2016, 05:30 PM
You know, I didn't mind the series that much. Yes, the acting wasn't great, but the girl that plays Amberle is gorgeous! I could probably watch her for hours. :p

I don't, however, want WoT to end up like Shannara. I want proper accents, better acting, and I want it be much grander in scale. I know Shannara isn't nearly as grand in terms of scale as WoT, but even though they set it in a post-Apocalyptic U.S. (VERY post-Apocalyptic), they still moved too quickly across the land (which is very true of the books, but still).

Hopefully WoT is much better.

Davian93
07-07-2016, 05:49 PM
A couple years ago, I tried to go back and read those early Shannara books...wow, were they way more awful than I remembered. They make David Eddings look like high culture.

Just awful writing for the most part.

hey still moved too quickly across the land (which is very true of the books, but still).

From what I recall of the books, the characters could basically walk across the entire map he shows in maybe a week total...probably less. I recall it being like 1 day from the Dwarfs to Paranor and then another day to the Elves or something like that. If you did the math, the entire map was probably a 50 mile by 50 mile square...or they were all hopped up on amphetamines like the Nazi soldiers in WWII and walking 50-100 miles a day.

Khoram
07-07-2016, 06:28 PM
A couple years ago, I tried to go back and read those early Shannara books...wow, were they way more awful than I remembered. They make David Eddings look like high culture.

Just awful writing for the most part.

From what I recall of the books, the characters could basically walk across the entire map he shows in maybe a week total...probably less. I recall it being like 1 day from the Dwarfs to Paranor and then another day to the Elves or something like that. If you did the math, the entire map was probably a 50 mile by 50 mile square...or they were all hopped up on amphetamines like the Nazi soldiers in WWII and walking 50-100 miles a day.
Allanon was pretty crazy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did something to make them walk that distance. :rolleyes:

Sukoto
07-15-2016, 01:44 AM
Why do you want it to end up like LotR?
I don't want it to be like LotR. I just want it to be as well-made. Good acting and good story flow. With beautiful sets, costumes, and effects. And the same actors for however many episodes/movies they make. That's all I want.