PDA

View Full Version : Tallness

GonzoTheGreat
07-26-2016, 05:20 AM
Somewhat to my surprise, Yks is almost the tallest woman in the world (http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36888541).

Nazbaque
07-26-2016, 06:01 AM
Heh I'm only just below the Dutch average.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I know. If you see family photos, I'm the very very odd one out. Estonian women average around 165-170 cm, and I'm 154.

Davian93
08-02-2016, 07:34 AM
~goes to google translate for European to American~

Hmm...shows that 154 CM is approximately 60.6 inches which is 5'0" basically.

Yeah, you're not super tall. I just did some additional maths which shows me to be 213 CM and I believe Dai is several (probably a dozen) CM taller than me.

Sarevok
08-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Yeah, you're not super tall. I just did some additional maths which shows me to be 213 CM and I believe Dai is several (probably a dozen) CM taller than me.

213cm is tall for a professional baseball player. Your maths may be off... Dai is 200cm flat, iirc.

Davian93
08-02-2016, 10:07 AM
213cm is tall for a professional baseball player. Your maths may be off... Dai is 200cm flat, iirc.

Let me reenter it...I'm pretty tired so I probably had a typo when I put it into the google Inches to CM.

Yup, I'm 188 CM, not 213. I accidentally typed my height in inches as 84, not 74 for some reason. I blame a lack of coffee.

Nazbaque
08-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Did you perhaps mean basketball, sare? Or are baseball players famous for their heights too?

GonzoTheGreat
08-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Did you perhaps mean basketball, sare? Or are baseball players famous for their heights too?
They gotta be taller than the cheerleaders, which in the Netherlands (and Estonia) means they have to be very tall indeed. Do Americans have any other qualifications for baseball players apart from "taller than the cheerleaders"?
Now that I think about it, there aren't cheerleaders with basketball, so I don't know why those players have to be tall.

Nazbaque
08-02-2016, 12:44 PM
They gotta be taller than the cheerleaders, which in the Netherlands (and Estonia) means they have to be very tall indeed. Do Americans have any other qualifications for baseball players apart from "taller than the cheerleaders"?
Now that I think about it, there aren't cheerleaders with basketball, so I don't know why those players have to be tall.

Yes there are. And now that I think about it I'm not sure if baseball has cheerleaders, but I would assume that every american sports team has cheerleaders. And to go on a tangent: why aren't there any male cheerleaders?

GonzoTheGreat
08-02-2016, 12:56 PM
That one seems to be simple, now: female sportspersons are not tall enough to properly tower over male cheerleaders.

Nazbaque
08-02-2016, 01:15 PM
That one seems to be simple, now: female sportspersons are not tall enough to properly tower over male cheerleaders.

Why can't you just use short guys? They can't get on the teams so there should be enough.

Rand al'Fain
08-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Yes there are. And now that I think about it I'm not sure if baseball has cheerleaders, but I would assume that every american sports team has cheerleaders. And to go on a tangent: why aren't there any male cheerleaders?

Baseball, really doesn't.

At the collegiate level, there are male cheerleaders. At the professional level, I don't think there are.

Nazbaque
08-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Baseball, really doesn't.

At the collegiate level, there are male cheerleaders. At the professional level, I don't think there are.

I demand photographic evidence!

Davian93
08-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Jose Altuve (2B for the Astros) leads the AL in hitting with a .356 AVG. He's all of 5'6". He's a middle infielder so they tend to be fairly small to begin with...there are taller SS & 2B of course but on average, a middle infielder will be shorter than a 1B/3B or outfielder. Catchers also tend to be shorter than the other guys because its physically just tougher on taller guys to squat all the time like they have to behind the plate.

Being overly tall in baseball...say over 6'4"-6'5"ish actually makes it a bit harder for a lot of reasons. Tall pitchers have trouble repeating their delivery because they're so lanky (see Randy Johnson as a great example of this. He's an inner circle Hall of Fame pitcher but he struggled with his pitch command for years before figuring things out). Lots of guys never figure it out. Same with hitting. A overly tall hitter tends to have a huge strike zone and they also have the same issues with plate coverage as a result of that. They're all arms and legs so to speak.

So basically with baseball, you tend to not want to be super tall or super short.

Sarevok
08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
You guys know what I meant, wether I typed it correct or not. :p

And I'm guessing another reason you don't want to be too tall for baseball is that all the running is mostly sprints. I can tell you from experience that being tall also means all that mass has to accellerate. :)

Terez
08-02-2016, 03:21 PM
I demand photographic evidence!

http://67.media.tumblr.com/36491714213b63ca98b7f633e3adf42e/tumblr_o1tu87PmCu1szqwnwo1_r1_500.jpg

Nazbaque
08-02-2016, 03:24 PM
You guys know what I meant, wether I typed it correct or not. :p

And I'm guessing another reason you don't want to be too tall for baseball is that all the running is mostly sprints. I can tell you from experience that being tall also means all that mass has to accellerate. :)

It's Muphry's Law. Whenever you post something on the internet with the intention of correcting someone else's post, your post will have a trivial grammar error or typo.

Rand al'Fain
08-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Well, it's common knowledge that basketball players go from 5'9 to well over 7 feet tall (yes, I'm a filthy, backwards American that uses the Imperial system, sue me). But in American Football, size extremes are nearly as prevalent.

Linemen will go anywhere from just over 6ft to 6 feet 7inches (sometimes taller).

Wide receivers (guys who catch the forward pass) go from under 6 feet, to six and a half feet.

Runningbacks (guys who primarily just run with the ball), not so much in height, but can weight anywhere from 170lbs to 240lbs, 5'9 to 6'2 (though taller RBs are rare).

Quarterbacks can go from (ideally) 6'2 to 6'9. Mainly to see over their o-line protectors.

GonzoTheGreat
08-03-2016, 05:48 AM
Yup, I'm 188 CM, not 213. I accidentally typed my height in inches as 84, not 74 for some reason. I blame a lack of coffee.I'd overlooked this, for some reason. Could you explain to me how it is that lack of coffee makes you almost a foot shorter?
Note to Yks: never ever stop drinking coffee.

Why can't you just use short guys? They can't get on the teams so there should be enough.That is a sensible and logical solution. Which, I'm sure, is precisely why no one had ever thought of it. At least, no one who was involved with sport at a high level; there are undoubtedly some smart people who do baseball or something as a hobby.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Well... I haven't measured myself recently, there is a small chance that the pregnancy hormones have made me grow a bit. After all, my mom grew 2 extra cm while expecting me... And her eyes changed colour, they went from green to light brown. Which I didn't know until my own eyes started turning brown and I told her and she goes "oh, that's right, mine did that too with the first pregnancy". (I mean, everyone says your eyes don't change colour after childhood but I call bullshit. I was blue-gray until puberty, then turned green and now this...) now, my eyes are still mostly green, but maybe I still grew a little bit extra?

Khoram
08-03-2016, 12:38 PM
I'm just plain short. :( 5'7". *sigh* It makes me an ideal size to be a pilot in the Air Force, but that won't do me any good. At least, not for the next 4 years.

I'll just be telling the pilots where to go. :D

Rand al'Fain
08-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Yeah, them pilots aren't very big.

Nazbaque
08-03-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm just plain short. :( 5'7". *sigh* It makes me an ideal size to be a pilot in the Air Force, but that won't do me any good. At least, not for the next 4 years.

You're over 5'6" so you're in the normal sized range. You're not plain short you're plain plain which good for your aspirations for flying planes which can't be done by the plain tall.

Khoram
08-03-2016, 10:05 PM
You're over 5'6" so you're in the normal sized range. You're not plain short you're plain plain which good for your aspirations for flying planes which can't be done by the plain tall.

Plain tall is definitely NOT good for flying planes, although a friend of mine, who is 6'9", has his private pilot's license, working towards his commercial.

GonzoTheGreat
08-04-2016, 04:14 AM

You could follow Yks's advice on getting taller. That does apparently have the side effect of changing your eye colour, but that may be a price you're willing to pay.

Nazbaque
08-04-2016, 04:32 AM
You could follow Yks's advice on getting taller. That does apparently have the side effect of changing your eye colour, but that may be a price you're willing to pay.

I don't think Khoram is willing to turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Davian93
08-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Plain tall is definitely NOT good for flying planes, although a friend of mine, who is 6'9", has his private pilot's license, working towards his commercial.

Aren't there G force issues with being overly tall? Not to mention just fitting into the cockpit itself.

GonzoTheGreat
08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Aren't there G force issues with being overly tall?If you're very tall (compared to the diameter of Earth, say) then the force of gravity on your feet would be substantially different from that on your head. For most people this isn't an important issue, though.

Not to mention just fitting into the cockpit itself.That is an important consideration, however. Once upon a time, somebody figured out that smaller aeroplanes are cheaper, and ever since bean-counters everywhere have been favouring miniature fighter pilots.
Which, probably, explains why they don't want pregnant pilots: they're liable to get too tall.

Khoram
08-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Aren't there G force issues with being overly tall? Not to mention just fitting into the cockpit itself.

Yes and yes. Typically, the taller you are, the worse your blood circulation is. Also, if you're too tall then your only options are either to fly without a canopy, or lose your legs below the knee if you have to eject. Depending on the plane, neither one is a very favourable option.

Rand al'Fain
08-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Yes and yes. Typically, the taller you are, the worse your blood circulation is. Also, if you're too tall then your only options are either to fly without a canopy, or lose your legs below the knee if you have to eject. Depending on the plane, neither one is a very favourable option.

I think the Air Force caps the height on pilots at like 6'4. Even that is probably pushing it to the extreme,

Khoram
08-04-2016, 08:17 PM
I think the Air Force caps the height on pilots at like 6'4. Even that is probably pushing it to the extreme,

It also depends on your proportions. There was a guy that went to Toronto with me when we went for our medicals who was just too tall sitting down. They had to send him to Winnipeg in order to see he could physically fit in the plane that all pilots train on. I don't know how that turned out.

Regardless, it won't be something that I have to deal with for the next little while, because I'm going in as an Aerospace Control Officer; I'm leaving for Basic in just over four weeks.

Ivhon
08-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Im 6'3" tall. Built like an out of shape, overweight waterpolo player ('cuz that's what I am).

I was also a cheerleader in high school. Interestingly enough, played W's high school in most sports. Cheerleaders wore the same thing decades later (change the "A" to "D" and that could've been me).

Of course, cheerleading at an all boys school is a somewhat different enterprise...

Daekyras
08-13-2016, 06:02 PM
For years I've been 5'10. But at my recent medical he put me down as 5'9".

Now, is this me getting shorter with age?? Or has every other physical being wrong?

Everything else was super healthy. But I'm shrinking!

Nazbaque
08-14-2016, 01:46 AM

Now, is this me getting shorter with age?? Or has every other physical being wrong?

Oh it's "been". My morning addled brain stared thst for two minutes trying to figure out who was mad.

GonzoTheGreat
08-14-2016, 04:11 AM
Everything else was super healthy. But I'm shrinking!Your own fault, obviously. If you'd been a good enough artist, then you would have died when you were 27, and wouldn't have started shrinking.

Alternative explanation: all your previous medicals were in the early morning; this one was in the late afternoon. That too can make a difference. Especially once you're over 27, of course.

My morning addled brain stared thst for two minutes trying to figure out who was mad.Just assume "everyone" and you won't be too far off.

Khoram
08-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Your own fault, obviously. If you'd been a good enough artist, then you would have died when you were 27, and wouldn't have started shrinking.

Alternative explanation: all your previous medicals were in the early morning; this one was in the late afternoon. That too can make a difference. Especially once you're over 27, of course.

Another possible explanation: it was cold.

Shrinkage is nothing to be embarrassed about, Daek. :p

Nazbaque
08-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Another possible explanation: it was cold.

Shrinkage is nothing to be embarrassed about, Daek. :p

Wait we were talking about the size of his... Damn, he really is well hung!

Khoram
08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Wait we were talking about the size of his... Damn, he really is well hung!

Well, he WAS complaining about shrinking... :rolleyes:

Nazbaque
08-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Well, he WAS complaining about shrinking... :rolleyes:

one inch doesn't really matter that much there. I mean if he did the vitruvian pose with an erection it'd be a cube instead of a square.

Davian93
08-14-2016, 10:13 PM

I lost about half an inch when I destroyed my back in the army...the missing discs (3 at last count) are why I'm shorter now. So you're not alone.

That's pretty normal anyway for anyone though...we lose disc height when we get older regardless so we tend to shrink a bit.