PDA

View Full Version : Larry Wilmore Cancelled

Kimon
08-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that he got cancelled and Trevor Noah hasn't. Neither is even remotely as good as their predecessor, but while Wilmore's show has at least been occasionally watchable, Noah's version of the Daily Show has been downright awful. Wilmore likely just had the bad luck of being the one that had to compete with Colbert. They really should have just gotten rid of both and turned @Midnight into @11, as Chris Hardwick's show is at least entertaining, and then given the 11:30 slot to Nikki Glaser for her weird show.

Has anyone really watched either Wilmore's show or Noah's?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/business/media/comedy-central-cancels-larry-wilmores-late-night-show.html

Davian93
08-16-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm sure Larry's viewer will be devastated by the news.

He was painfully unfunny for the most part.

Noah is just as bad though. I guess Colbert and Oliver took most of the good writers with them to their new shows.

Kimon
08-16-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm sure Larry's viewer will be devastated by the news.

He was painfully unfunny for the most part.

Noah is just as bad though. I guess Colbert and Oliver took most of the good writers with them to their new shows.

Noah's problem is that he is awful. Wilmore at least was worthy of a show, and talented enough to make it worth watching, but he made the mistake of starting to have every single show talk about the exact same subject. It just got too tiresome to continue watching, especially when one has the option of just needing to remember that Colbert is on too. But I watched quite a few of his shows, though not so much recently. Which was exactly his problem - he lost his audience. Noah by contrast just isn't funny, and his correspondents were even less so. I tried to watch his show a few times, but could never even make it through an entire episode. When reruns of Good Eats are significantly more entertaining than new episodes of the Daily Show, it's a pretty strong indication that Comedy Central really screwed up that hire.

Davian93
08-17-2016, 09:55 AM
I think the entire audience for both the Daily Show and Wilmore's show simply went over to John Oliver instead and gave up on watching a daily clip show since Oliver smashes a grand slam every Sunday night.

Really really bad luck for Comedy Central to have Oliver poached away like that right before both Stewart and Colbert left but they also were massively shortsighted given the success he showed as Stewart's fill-in during his leave of absence. Oliver is far superior in the weekly format rather than the daily one anyway and HBO allows him to be a bit more open than he would be on basic cable where he'd be far more beholden to sponsors.

So win win for everyone other than Comedy Central.

Also, Good Eats is always great TV...I wish it was on more and I wish Alton Brown hadn't sold his soul to satan with all those idiotic cooking competition shows he hosts now instead. Its also a shame he's a right wing nutbar in real life but I dont really care about that as his cooking show was always great fun...and he's a NECI grad...NECI being the New England Culinary Institute which is 30 min from my house...and the reason VT has so many amazing restaurants.

Nazbaque
08-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Do you think Satan ever feels that a soul isn't worth buying?

GonzoTheGreat
08-17-2016, 11:14 AM
What's in it for Satan, anyway?

Kimon
08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
I think the entire audience for both the Daily Show and Wilmore's show simply went over to John Oliver instead and gave up on watching a daily clip show since Oliver smashes a grand slam every Sunday night.

Really really bad luck for Comedy Central to have Oliver poached away like that right before both Stewart and Colbert left but they also were massively shortsighted given the success he showed as Stewart's fill-in during his leave of absence. Oliver is far superior in the weekly format rather than the daily one anyway and HBO allows him to be a bit more open than he would be on basic cable where he'd be far more beholden to sponsors.

Oliver's show is really good, as is Colbert's show on CBS, I just don't like the format of the network show as much, and so when I remember to watch it (for some reason the continued existence of network shows often slips my mind), I usually just watch the intro and then switch to something else (or go to sleep) once the guests start coming out, although Colbert often manages to keep even that part, the interviews, interesting, which with actors is rare (and, by the way, why Stewart's choice to switch from interviewing actors to serious guests was such a smart decision).

Also, Good Eats is always great TV...I wish it was on more and I wish Alton Brown hadn't sold his soul to satan with all those idiotic cooking competition shows he hosts now instead. Its also a shame he's a right wing nutbar in real life but I dont really care about that as his cooking show was always great fun...and he's a NECI grad...NECI being the New England Culinary Institute which is 30 min from my house...and the reason VT has so many amazing restaurants.

In his defense, he is a southerner, so that is at least partially just a tribal/cultural issue, and, more importantly, his politics never was noticeable in Good Eats. I never watched any of his more host-style shows, like American Iron Chef and Cutthroat Kitchen. I do wish one of the food networks would start showing reruns of the original (Japanese) Iron Chef. That show was great. I for some odd reason often find cooking and travel shows (especially when mixed like with Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern) entertaining.

Rand al'Fain
08-17-2016, 08:29 PM
What's in it for Satan, anyway?

He's a lonely guy. And likes to throw parties.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/5/5a/409_00006.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111122045645

Davian93
08-25-2016, 07:11 PM
Oliver's show is really good, as is Colbert's show on CBS, I just don't like the format of the network show as much, and so when I remember to watch it (for some reason the continued existence of network shows often slips my mind), I usually just watch the intro and then switch to something else (or go to sleep) once the guests start coming out, although Colbert often manages to keep even that part, the interviews, interesting, which with actors is rare (and, by the way, why Stewart's choice to switch from interviewing actors to serious guests was such a smart decision).

In his defense, he is a southerner, so that is at least partially just a tribal/cultural issue, and, more importantly, his politics never was noticeable in Good Eats. I never watched any of his more host-style shows, like American Iron Chef and Cutthroat Kitchen. I do wish one of the food networks would start showing reruns of the original (Japanese) Iron Chef. That show was great. I for some odd reason often find cooking and travel shows (especially when mixed like with Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern) entertaining.

Yeah, that's the good thing about Alton is that he never let his personal beliefs bleed into his show. I think a big part of why he stopped doing Good Eats is that he simply ran out of foods to cook as he'd done so many different items over the years.

Anthony Bourdain is a blowhard at times but his show is almost always interesting and his books are good reads too.

I dont think the Food Network or even their secondary Cooking Channel shows much of any actual cooking shows anymore. Its all competition shows and other dumb things...down the rabbit hole in search of higher ratings by catering to the lowest common denominator of viewers.

Rand al'Fain
08-26-2016, 01:56 AM
Yeah, that's the good thing about Alton is that he never let his personal beliefs bleed into his show. I think a big part of why he stopped doing Good Eats is that he simply ran out of foods to cook as he'd done so many different items over the years.

Anthony Bourdain is a blowhard at times but his show is almost always interesting and his books are good reads too.

I dont think the Food Network or even their secondary Cooking Channel shows much of any actual cooking shows anymore. Its all competition shows and other dumb things...down the rabbit hole in search of higher ratings by catering to the lowest common denominator of viewers.

History Channel did the same thing. And Animal Planet (not as bad, but what does building fancy tree houses have to do with animals!?). Thank goodness for the American History Channel, for a channel that actually has programs on history.

Ivhon
08-26-2016, 02:07 PM
History Channel did the same thing. And Animal Planet (not as bad, but what does building fancy tree houses have to do with animals!?). Thank goodness for the American History Channel, for a channel that actually has programs on history.

Give it a month and it'll be as full of reality yawns as the rest of em

Rand al'Fain
08-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Given it about 3 years, and none so far. In fact, they've even done documentaries on WWI, in color.

Ivhon
08-26-2016, 04:09 PM