PDA

View Full Version : RIP Gene Wilder

Kimon
08-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Mel Brooks sums this up quite well:
Mr Brooks tweeted: "One of the truly great talents of our time. He blessed every film we did with his magic and he blessed me with his friendship."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37215553

Rand al'Fain
08-29-2016, 08:10 PM
83 years young. I don't think he had really done much the last few years, but I will always enjoy Blazing Saddles, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and his other films.

Kimon
08-29-2016, 08:36 PM
83 years young. I don't think he had really done much the last few years, but I will always enjoy Blazing Saddles, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and his other films.

He seemed to go into semi-retirement after Gilda Radner died. That said, his best years were those early collaborations with Mel Brooks - The Producers in '68, and Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein both in '74. He was really great though as Willy Wonka (in '71) as well.

Terez
08-30-2016, 03:18 AM
I always thought he was kind of creepy as Wonka, despite it being an obviously brilliant performance (and I was never even tempted to watch the new version because I knew it wouldn't compare). I don't even remember any of his other performances aside from the slightly smutty "Woman in Red" which I saw when I was probably too young for it, so that probably contributed to my impression of him being creepy as Wonka.

Rand al'Fain
08-30-2016, 06:32 PM
I always thought he was kind of creepy as Wonka, despite it being an obviously brilliant performance (and I was never even tempted to watch the new version because I knew it wouldn't compare). I don't even remember any of his other performances aside from the slightly smutty "Woman in Red" which I saw when I was probably too young for it, so that probably contributed to my impression of him being creepy as Wonka.

You should watch Blazing Saddles. Definitely worth the watch, even if just looking for some laughs.

Terez
08-31-2016, 12:07 AM
I have seen it, a long time ago, because it was one of my dad's favorites. I just don't remember what he did in it, or much about the movie at all.

Rand al'Fain
08-31-2016, 07:56 PM
I have seen it, a long time ago, because it was one of my dad's favorites. I just don't remember what he did in it, or much about the movie at all.

Well, no better time than the present to get caught up on things.

Terez
09-01-2016, 11:36 AM
His nephew wrote a really nice thing about his passing:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/national/statement-of-gene-wilders-nephew-jordan-walkerpearlman

I guess I never realized how central Wonka was to his life and career until he died. I looked at his IMDB, so how sparse it was, and that surprised me, but the reference in this letter makes it even more clear, and the wording makes me wonder if he regretted his attempts to break out of typecast.

It really was an incomparably brilliant performance, leagues beyond his fellow 2016-passer Bowie's role in Labyrinth. But then, Bowie wasn't really an actor.

Davian93
09-05-2016, 05:44 PM
He was phenomenal in Blazing Saddles and as Willy Wonka. He will be missed.

vandevere
09-06-2016, 12:44 PM
My favorite was "Young Frankenstein".

Best scene started with Sedagive, and ended with Abbie Normal... :D