PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball Super

Terez
09-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Is anyone here watching this? There are no official foreign releases yet so it's only available in Japanese, and you can find it fansubbed on the internet. But I know it's a popular show, so surely at least one person here is watching it.

Naz? I know you're more into 'serious' anime but IIRC you have at least some nostalgic fondness for DB.

Kimon
09-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Is anyone here watching this? There are no official foreign releases yet so it's only available in Japanese, and you can find it fansubbed on the internet. But I know it's a popular show, so surely at least one person here is watching it.

Naz? I know you're more into 'serious' anime but IIRC you have at least some nostalgic fondness for DB.

I never watched dragon ball, but I do like anime, just not so much the neverending shonen style fighting series.

As an aside, does anyone else feel like the quality of anime series has sharply declined since the '90s and early aughts? Seems like it's been a long time since anything worth watching came out of Japan, with the only good cartoon (I wouldn't really call these anime style) shows that come out in recent years are all western - Archer, Venture Brothers, and Rick and Morty. Seems like a long time since any of the good anime studios (KyoAni and Shaft always seemed the two best) have produced anything decent. The last really great shows I can think of from Japan were Haruhi (even with the obnoxious shenanigans they pulled with its second season) and Lucky Star (so basically nothing since 2007) for KyoAni, or the Monogatari series and Puella Magi Madoka Magica for Shaft (which are at least sort of recent - 2011 for Madoka, everything after the first series of Bakemonogatari has been in decline). I wouldn't expect everything to be as good as the anime movies that Hayao Miyazaki made, or the manga based series from the various works of Rumiko Takahashi, but still, pretty much everything these days just sucks.

Nazbaque
09-05-2016, 12:12 PM

Haven't checked super. I've checked a few episodes of most DB *insert rest of title* and they have been seriously formulaic. It's practically the Eddings of Anime. Do one good, make a formula that doesn't include anything that made the first good and repeat that over and over again.

"Serious" doesn't really describe what I'm into. The tone of the series can be light hearted, dramatic, trajic, dark or down right perverted, but there has to be a working plot or at least boobs to distract you from the lack.

I never watched dragon ball, but I do like anime, just not so much the neverending shonen style fighting series.

As an aside, does anyone else feel like the quality of anime series has sharply declined since the '90s and early aughts? Seems like it's been a long time since anything worth watching came out of Japan, with the only good cartoon (I wouldn't really call these anime style) shows that come out in recent years are all western - Archer, Venture Brothers, and Rick and Morty. Seems like a long time since any of the good anime studios (KyoAni and Shaft always seemed the two best) have produced anything decent. The last really great shows I can think of from Japan were Haruhi (even with the obnoxious shenanigans they pulled with its second season) and Lucky Star (so basically nothing since 2007) for KyoAni, or the Monogatari series and Puella Magi Madoka Magica for Shaft (which are at least sort of recent - 2011 for Madoka, everything after the first series of Bakemonogatari has been in decline). I wouldn't expect everything to be as good as the anime movies that Hayao Miyazaki made, or the manga based series from the various works of Rumiko Takahashi, but still, pretty much everything these days just sucks.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a masterpiece that beats the 90's stuff by leaps and bounds.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is a better space opera than most live-action stuff.

Black Lagoon is damn good.

There's more but I'd have to know your preferences.

Terez
09-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Haven't checked super. I've checked a few episodes of most DB *insert rest of title* and they have been seriously formulaic. It's practically the Eddings of Anime. Do one good, make a formula that doesn't include anything that made the first good and repeat that over and over again.
Yeah, I can't really disagree with any of that. It's the kind of thing you only watch if you get attached to the characters. And while I enjoyed Eddings to an extent (read them several times until I couldn't stand the plot holes any more) I never liked his characters anywhere near as much as I like the characters of DB. They are awesome. I also love Toriyama's quirky gag style in general.

It took me a really long time to get into DB because the animation was terrible and the dialogue cliched, but eventually it grew on me and now I love it. Well, I have loved it for a long time; my DB love predates my WoT love, actually, though I was technically an adult by the time the dub started airing in the US.

I just watched FMA:B recently for the first time. I'd never watched the original anime; tried to get into it years ago but couldn't. And Brotherhood was also difficult to get into at first; it was difficult to get attached to the characters with the way they glossed over the early plot. But by the time I was halfway through, I was hooked.

I like Attack on Titan, though there are a few things about it that annoy me.

I have never had any desire to watch the other long-running anime like One Piece and Naruto.

Kimon
09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a masterpiece that beats the 90's stuff by leaps and bounds.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is a better space opera than most live-action stuff.

Black Lagoon is damn good.

There's more but I'd have to know your preferences.

I didn't like Black Lagoon. I did watch Full Metal Alchemist, both the original version and the "fixed" Brotherhood version. They were both okay, but I didn't like either as much as anything I mentioned above. I haven't watched Space Battleship Yamato 2199, but I did watch quite a few of the older series and movies (Arcadia of My Youth, Galaxy Express 999, a few episodes each of Captain Harlock and the original Space Battleship Yamato, i.e. Star Blazers) by Leiji Matsumoto.

The anime that I first watched, and which generated my continued interest in the genre were things like Ranma, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Kimagure Orange Road, and the Miyazaki films. Somewhat eclectic, but I tend to like slice of life types (like Lucky Star or Pani Poni Dash) or weird/fantasy (like Haruhi, the Miyazaki films, Escaflowne, Ranma and other Takahashi series). Other than Bakemonogatari, Madoka, and some Type-Moon Series (Tsukihime, Kara No Kyoukai, and Fate/Stay Night) there just hasn't seemed to be much of anything worth watching out of Japan in the last decade. The '90s and early aughts just seemed to have a lot more that captured my interest. At least there has still been a decent frequency rate of JRPG games.

Rand al'Fain
09-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Been watching it. No, I don't know why Future Trunks now has blue hair, and yeah, the art is a lot different than Z or even GT, but the current arc is pretty engaging. Especially after that last episode.

Ranma 1/2 is a good series, though the manga gives more character development (and has an actual ending part, sort of), but I wouldn't be opposed to it getting a reboot of sorts. DB got Super, Sailor Moon got Crystal (never watched original or this, but both being big series, you hear these things), so Ranma certainly should.

Konosuba is a fairly recent anime that makes fun of a lot of fantasy series tropes you see. Only 10 episodes, and animation is a little odd, but definitely one of the more recent series that is actually fun to watch.

Another is Working!! Has a bevy of quirky characters, with the final season actually wrapping up all the plot points quite well.

About DB being the "eddings" of anime; a lot of series took inspiration from it from the 90s on up until today. A lot of tropes seen in those, were more than likely done in DB/DBZ first.

Terez
09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Been watching it. No, I don't know why Future Trunks now has blue hair...
It's the one thing about his past that he managed to change. (This is an anime-only inconsistency, by the way. In the manga, Toyotaro implied that both Trunkses have the same color hair.)

...and yeah, the art is a lot different than Z or even GT, but the current arc is pretty engaging. Especially after that last episode.
It was a pretty awesome episode. People who know more about animators than I do are raving about Naotoshi Shida, one of the key animators on ep 57, who is apparently responsible for the movie-quality stuff in that 2v2 fight. But of course Reddit is complaining about the power level inconsistencies (as if DB has ever been great about power level consistency). And now I'm stuck trying to explain time travel and multiverse theory to a bunch of people who can't wrap their heads around the simplest aspects of it, much less the more complicated ones.

I love DB.

Kimon
09-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Ranma 1/2 is a good series, though the manga gives more character development (and has an actual ending part, sort of), but I wouldn't be opposed to it getting a reboot of sorts. DB got Super, Sailor Moon got Crystal (never watched original or this, but both being big series, you hear these things), so Ranma certainly should.

A remake of Ranma would be weird, especially as the original was well done. Rumiko Takahashi has a few other quality series - Urusei Yatsura, Mermaid Saga, and Inuyasha were all good as well.

Konosuba is a fairly recent anime that makes fun of a lot of fantasy series tropes you see. Only 10 episodes, and animation is a little odd, but definitely one of the more recent series that is actually fun to watch.

Another is Working!! Has a bevy of quirky characters, with the final season actually wrapping up all the plot points quite well.

I tried to watch Konosuba but couldn't get hooked into it. I've never watched Working!!, might at least be worth giving a try. I just can't think of much of anything in the past 4-5 years that was really worth watching all the way through, except Steins;Gate and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Henneko and Oreimo were both somewhat entertaining, if somewhat messed up, a lot messed up in the case of Oreimo...

Nazbaque
09-06-2016, 02:16 AM
Working!! is a very good anime. Impressive Japanese cast. Oreimo was a surprisingly complex anime so what did you like about it? Depending on your answer you might like Oniai. You also might like B gata H kei.

Slice of life, huh. Well I usually go for light hearted comedy rather than drama but the best shows have a bit of both. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is worth watching and the manga is worth reading. Mikakunin de Shinkoukei has a supernatural twist (not vampires), but it definitely counts as slice of life. Then there is Himouto! Umaru-chan. Gin no Saji or Silver Spoon is by the same artist as Fullmetal Alchemist, but a very different work. Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is insanely good both the anime and the manga which goes a lot further and thus we hope for more anime.

More on FMA. It's misguided to call 2003 the original because Brotherhood is the one that is more true to the manga. Towards the end that is. 2003 was true to it until it caught up and instead of making tons of filler they decided to go for an ending of their own. Brotherhood speeds through what 2003 did at the beginning, so in a way they are both wrong, as 2003 has the wrong end and Brotherhood has the wrong start. Personally I can live with Brotherhood's beginning, but understand it when others can't.

Terez
09-06-2016, 06:06 AM
More on FMA. It's misguided to call 2003 the original because Brotherhood is the one that is more true to the manga.
It is the original anime, though, despite the fact that it got ahead of the manga eventually. It's not misguided to say so. Calling it the original story would be misguided, even though it's true enough in the beginning.

Towards the end that is. 2003 was true to it until it caught up and instead of making tons of filler they decided to go for an ending of their own. Brotherhood speeds through what 2003 did at the beginning, so in a way they are both wrong, as 2003 has the wrong end and Brotherhood has the wrong start. Personally I can live with Brotherhood's beginning, but understand it when others can't.
My impression is that only people who watched the original anime first are content with the beginning of Brotherhood. Everyone else I know who watched Brotherhood first had a really hard time getting into it, especially when it comes to relating to the characters. I almost didn't finish it. Might not have if I didn't have friends who wanted me to watch it, and sufficient free time.

When I was done, I regretting not having tried to watch a mix, starting with the original and switching to Brotherhood at the point when the original passed the manga. I don't know if that's particularly feasible, though; I don't know how to parse it but I suspect new content is mixed with old in the earlier episodes of Brotherhood. But I think I wouldn't have had a problem with rehashing the beginning when it came to that.

Kimon
09-06-2016, 06:57 AM
More on FMA. It's misguided to call 2003 the original because Brotherhood is the one that is more true to the manga. Towards the end that is. 2003 was true to it until it caught up and instead of making tons of filler they decided to go for an ending of their own. Brotherhood speeds through what 2003 did at the beginning, so in a way they are both wrong, as 2003 has the wrong end and Brotherhood has the wrong start. Personally I can live with Brotherhood's beginning, but understand it when others can't.

As Terez also pointed out, it depends on the emphasis and interpretation one gives to original. It obviously wasn't the truer of the two versions to its origin, but only because it ran past the original material upon which it was based and hence had no choice but to come up with some original content of its own in order to finish the series, much as Game of Thrones has been forced to do on HBO. I was mostly thinking of it as original, however, simply in the sense of being the first of the two anime versions. As for Oreimo, it was entertaining, but a bit too incest driven. Japan does have a weird fetish with incest, so it's often unavoidable in anime, but usually not so overtly so. The only other show you mentioned that even rang a bell was B Gata H Kei. Not really my cup of tea.

Nazbaque
09-06-2016, 08:59 AM
As for Oreimo, it was entertaining, but a bit too incest driven. Japan does have a weird fetish with incest, so it's often unavoidable in anime, but usually not so overtly so. The only other show you mentioned that even rang a bell was B Gata H Kei. Not really my cup of tea.

It depends on how you define incest. How close is the blood connection? Immediate family only? Cousins? Second cousins? Third?

Then there is the concept of inseki, which means a romantic and/or sexual relationship between people who are legally related but not by blood. There are many ways it can be wrong, but it isn't incest. Take any sibling-type incest story and alter it so that one of them was adopted. Another possible set up might be a young man and his parent's brother's wife. Would be adultery, but not incest. A recently popular set up has been relationships between children from previous marriages.

I don't see inseki as wrong in itself, but the circumstances might make an individual case wrong. And even then it might be the kind of wrong that adds oil to the fires of drama. If it's a case of adultery for example. Blood related people having sex is just twisted.

I'd say that Japanese storytelling has a thing for all forms of immoral relationships and incest is just one of them. The question is which ones are you okay with or are you pure as vanilla?

Terez
09-06-2016, 09:09 AM
There's no incest in DB! (Unless you count fanfic.) It appears to be going that way in AOT, though. One female character seems torn between her adopted brother and her blood brother. I'd almost rather she ended up with the blood brother because at least she never met him until recently.

Kimon
09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
It depends on how you define incest. How close is the blood connection? Immediate family only? Cousins? Second cousins? Third?

Then there is the concept of inseki, which means a romantic and/or sexual relationship between people who are legally related but not by blood. There are many ways it can be wrong, but it isn't incest. Take any sibling-type incest story and alter it so that one of them was adopted. Another possible set up might be a young man and his parent's brother's wife. Would be adultery, but not incest. A recently popular set up has been relationships between children from previous marriages.

I don't see inseki as wrong in itself, but the circumstances might make an individual case wrong. And even then it might be the kind of wrong that adds oil to the fires of drama. If it's a case of adultery for example. Blood related people having sex is just twisted.

I'd say that Japanese storytelling has a thing for all forms of immoral relationships and incest is just one of them. The question is which ones are you okay with or are you pure as vanilla?

In Oreimo, they are full siblings, and while they never actually have sex, the plot is centered around their messed up relationship, the story after all starts with him catching her trove of incest games, and then her asking him to play them with her. There's a lot more to the show than that, and it was pretty innocently done, but still pretty messed up. And it definitely is a common theme in anime (and hentai). Taboo subjects are even worse, and more pervasive, in hentai, but still seem decidedly odd compared to typical western themes, although Greek mythology and tragedy was obviously replete with those same themes. Should I guess that those other shows that you mentioned were more or the blatantly ecchi variety?

Nazbaque
09-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Should I guess that those other shows that you mentioned were more or the blatantly ecchi variety?

Just Oniai. The others are just slice of life. Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou has some fanservice moments but it's pretty tame and more makes fun of the concept of fanservice.
There's no incest in DB! (Unless you count fanfic.) It appears to be going that way in AOT, though. One female character seems torn between her adopted brother and her blood brother. I'd almost rather she ended up with the blood brother because at least she never met him until recently.

If you mean Eren and Mikasa those feelings have been pretty obvious from the start. And what's wrong with ending up with your childhood friend?

Terez
09-06-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm not going to try to moralize it; it just strikes me as a bit creepy because they definitely have a sibling vibe between them. Have you read the manga? Because it's in bits past the anime that the blood brother becomes an option. (I think he is her brother, but I'm not 100% positive and probably need to reread it.)

Nazbaque
09-06-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm not going to try to moralize it; it just strikes me as a bit creepy because they definitely have a sibling vibe between them. Have you read the manga? Because it's in bits past the anime that the blood brother becomes an option. (I think he is her brother, but I'm not 100% positive and probably need to reread it.)

Mikasa definitely has a thing for Eren. It might be one sided but that much is definite. I don't think she ever saw his parents as anything else than kind people who took care of her. Eren might see it differently, but that's drama for you. And yes I have read the manga. And I think they are cousins to some degree.

Terez
09-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Mikasa definitely has a thing for Eren. It might be one sided but that much is definite.
I can see the implications, obviously, or I wouldn't have brought it up. But I wouldn't call it definite. She cares about him deeply, obviously, but nothing so far has indicated she's sexually attracted to him.

Nazbaque
09-06-2016, 12:35 PM
I can see the implications, obviously, or I wouldn't have brought it up. But I wouldn't call it definite. She cares about him deeply, obviously, but nothing so far has indicated she's sexually attracted to him.

She has a romantic interest in him, but young as she is it might not had reached a sexual level. Or that might have happened off panel. Mikasa is the type that doesn't broadcast her emotions. And iirc her parents died while avoiding the sex talk. Maybe the Jaegers never got to it either. It's entirely possible that none of them know about sex.

GonzoTheGreat
09-06-2016, 12:36 PM
And if they haven't been told then they'll never have that kind of feelings.
I wonder why no one ever thought of that as a method for contraception. It would no doubt work amazingly.

Terez
09-06-2016, 12:36 PM
How else do you differentiate between a deep sibling connection and a romantic interest?

Nazbaque
09-06-2016, 02:23 PM
And if they haven't been told then they'll never have that kind of feelings.
I wonder why no one ever thought of that as a method for contraception. It would no doubt work amazingly.

It's more that they might not have figured out what it's all about. They have the feelings and urges but might not understand them. This is the classic sheltered upbringing pattern, but approached from a much darker angle than the over protective rich parent version.
How else do you differentiate between a deep sibling connection and a romantic interest?
It's a complicated subject, but if you were to think of a person as having three sides: the body, the mind and the soul. Your mind is what you think, your soul is what you are. All your urges, senses and instincts are of the body. Emotions are of the soul. The mind is what processes the information the body and the soul send.

Sexual interest is the wish to connect your own body with another's. Romantic interest is the wish to connect the souls. These two are not mutually exclusive but one does not necessarily lead to the other either. There are purely sexual relationships and there is platonic love.

Friendship is the wish to be in the presence of another person, but not to connect with them. You want that person to have a good life, but you don't want to be responsible for it.

Family are people who have the obligation to be your friends and vice versa. This is usually because of blood, but it is possible to bring normal friendship to this level through shared experiences. This is what it means to be someone's sibling.

Marriage has two sides: the legal and the mental. People can be married on paper only even to the point of raising children, but not have any desire to connect to each other's souls. People can also connect their souls on a level of such proportions that the death of one takes something of the other with it and this is not dependent on legal recognition.

When people are mentally married they share the responsibility of each other's happiness. This is what Mikasa wants with Eren.

Oh and making love is what happens when people connect both their bodies and their souls.

Rand al'Fain
09-06-2016, 06:55 PM
In Oreimo, they are full siblings, and while they never actually have sex, the plot is centered around their messed up relationship, the story after all starts with him catching her trove of incest games, and then her asking him to play them with her. There's a lot more to the show than that, and it was pretty innocently done, but still pretty messed up. And it definitely is a common theme in anime (and hentai). Taboo subjects are even worse, and more pervasive, in hentai, but still seem decidedly odd compared to typical western themes, although Greek mythology and tragedy was obviously replete with those same themes. Should I guess that those other shows that you mentioned were more or the blatantly ecchi variety?
Sad thing is, the brother actually has the option of two or three other girls that are actually pretty decent (other than an early misunderstanding/cover), and even dates one for a while.

What does he do though? Goes with his sister that has, quite literally, been abusing him since episode 1 (another bad cliche/trope of many anime).

And yeah, Dragon Ball (series in general) has no incest or incestual overtones. A few ecchi parts here and there (most involving Roshi, or early on, Goku learning the difference between boys and girls), but the series is more comedy/action/adventure than anything.

And then, there's Usagi Drop. The anime is quite touching and heart warming. The first part of the manga follows this. Thankfully, the second part of the manga has never been turned into the anime.

Ruined a great "feel good" story with that ending in the manga.

As for Ranma 1/2, maybe something like what happened with DBZ Kai. Where the art is touched up, and the series re-aired. That sort of thing. And maybe given a definitive ending...

Kimon
09-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Sad thing is, the brother actually has the option of two or three other girls that are actually pretty decent (other than an early misunderstanding/cover), and even dates one for a while.

What does he do though? Goes with his sister that has, quite literally, been abusing him since episode 1 (another bad cliche/trope of many anime).

One of those other three was a bit too yandere, but yeah, Kuroneko was the reasonable choice. The incest thing though is a really common trope, it just typically isn't actually acted upon, like between Koyomi and his sisters in Monogatari (Koyomi pretty much hits on every chick that crosses his path), or in True Tears, where much of the tension was over the uncertainty of whether Shinichiro and Hiyomi were perhaps secretly half-siblings, since both, though mainly she, suspected that maybe her mom had had a fling with his dad. That was a pretty good anime as well, and like Madoka was a much more psychologically complex show than one would expect from first impressions.

Terez
09-07-2016, 08:36 AM
And yeah, Dragon Ball (series in general) has no incest or incestual overtones. A few ecchi parts here and there (most involving Roshi, or early on, Goku learning the difference between boys and girls), but the series is more comedy/action/adventure than anything.
The closest thing to a hint of incest is when Krillin assumes that 18 and 17 are a thing, and 18 informs him that 17 is her twin brother. But that's done in such a way to make it clear that incest is not an option.

One of my favorite bits of DB is when Goku takes Bulma's panties off while she's sleeping to see why her 'pillow' feels wrong, and he freaks out because her balls are missing, which wakes her up and makes her think the dragon balls are missing. Hilarious. And of course that leads to her accidentally flashing her ladyparts to Roshi later on.

Roshi was no big deal 10-20 years ago. Today it's easier to realize that a lot of the things he did actually constitute sexual assault and would be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Bulma's boobs make a couple of appearances in the DB manga, and Goku's kid peen is all over the place, but that's mostly gone by the time Z rolls around. And of course most of that was censored in English releases.

Rand al'Fain
09-07-2016, 01:21 PM
The closest thing to a hint of incest is when Krillin assumes that 18 and 17 are a thing, and 18 informs him that 17 is her twin brother. But that's done in such a way to make it clear that incest is not an option.

One of my favorite bits of DB is when Goku takes Bulma's panties off while she's sleeping to see why her 'pillow' feels wrong, and he freaks out because her balls are missing, which wakes her up and makes her think the dragon balls are missing. Hilarious. And of course that leads to her accidentally flashing her ladyparts to Roshi later on.

Roshi was no big deal 10-20 years ago. Today it's easier to realize that a lot of the things he did actually constitute sexual assault and would be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Bulma's boobs make a couple of appearances in the DB manga, and Goku's kid peen is all over the place, but that's mostly gone by the time Z rolls around. And of course most of that was censored in English releases.

I still get a laugh out of Dragon Ball whenever I watch it. And with Roshi, well, he pretty much always gets smacked/shot/punched/punished in some way for his perverse ways. Always got a laugh out of that.

Wouldn't mind if the original series was ever touched up, I'll say that. And by that, I mean that it was cleaned up a bit in the art department. Still a great series to watch.

Terez
09-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Yeah, DB could stand even a Kai-style remake. But dub fans would get a new voice for Goku, since they fired Stephanie Nadolny. :( (I liked her. But I'm a fan of the Japanese voices, so...)

Rand al'Fain
09-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Yeah, DB could stand even a Kai-style remake. But dub fans would get a new voice for Goku, since they fired Stephanie Nadolny. :( (I liked her. But I'm a fan of the Japanese voices, so...)

I'm to the point where I find the original voices "okay". But I still prefer the English Dub from Funimation. Which, it seems, they are working on Super now that they've finished with Buu Arc in Kai.

Stephanie Nadolney was okay, though I'm still getting used to 18's new voice actor in Kai.

Terez
09-07-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm to the point where I find the original voices "okay". But I still prefer the English Dub from Funimation. Which, it seems, they are working on Super now that they've finished with Buu Arc in Kai.
Yeah, it does seem like that, but they are being awfully dodgy. Still no announcement, and the most solid hint was Beerus's voice actor dropping what looked like a dub studio picture with ep 1 on the screen, which got deleted and explained away. They haven't even announced Kai Buu yet. :/

I find Colleen Clinkenbeard very difficult to like, with Gohan. And I'm glad they used 18's Z voice for the Super-era movies. I'm not incredibly fond of the new Bulma either, but the difference isn't quite as stark as kid Gohan and 18.

Mort
09-09-2016, 01:43 AM
Dubbed? I thought any real fan would either learn Japanese and in the meantime stick with subtitles ;)

Read a bit of the Dragonball manga 15 years ago or so, such a long story that I never stuck with it though.

Not a huge anime fan but seen some Akira, Ninja Scroll , etc. Old stuff. Saw on netflix the Seven deadly sins and Ajin - demi human. Pretty good.

Best animeseries that I've seen is Trigun. Fantastic stuff. 26ish awesome episodes. Check it out.

GonzoTheGreat
09-09-2016, 02:39 AM
How else do you differentiate between a deep sibling connection and a romantic interest?Count the resulting offspring?
Not foolproof, I grant, but probably good enough for government work.

Nazbaque
09-09-2016, 05:58 AM
Dubbed? I thought any real fan would either learn Japanese and in the meantime stick with subtitles ;)
Some shows get a good English dub. FMA for example. But for the most part the Japanese is better. Especially the openings and endings. They just put that much more effort in them.
Read a bit of the Dragonball manga 15 years ago or so, such a long story that I never stuck with it though.

Not a huge anime fan but seen some Akira, Ninja Scroll , etc. Old stuff. Saw on netflix the Seven deadly sins and Ajin - demi human. Pretty good.

Best animeseries that I've seen is Trigun. Fantastic stuff. 26ish awesome episodes. Check it out.
Well we were talking about the newer stuff on that tangent so those didn't come up. Trigun is a good anime.

However there is more than just looking for good shows to watch. There are shows that at their time had a huge impact on the industry and are referenced a LOT. DBZ is such a show. The first DB was loosely based on the Journey to the West, a 16th century novel which has a standing similar to Shakespeare's works. Now in manga and anime if there is a mention of JttW one of the characters makes a super saiyan reference. Then there is Neon Genesis Evangelion and particularly the character Rei Aiyanami who redefined what moe is. Her clones turn up everywhere and are usually among the top five favourite characters in the reader polls of their respective mangas. And of course there is Fist of the North Star. A show to which the DB shows make quite a few references.

Terez
09-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I crossed that threshold a while back. But I started with the dub, so I'm familiar with the dub voices and I have opinions on them. Even when I rewatched the series for the first time recently, when I first started watching Super last fall, I watched the dub. But after watching Super for a while, the dub voices just didn't do it for me any more, so I watched the whole series in Japanese for the first time.

I've known the Japanese voices for a while because I got movies 11-13 on a bootleg fansub way back in the day, and I liked the Japanese voices then. But it wasn't easy to get ahold of the Japanese version back then; the internet was not quite the source of illegal material that it is now.

I love the manga so much. In comparison to the prospect of watching the whole series, reading all 42 volumes of the manga is nothing. And it's a much better and more cohesive story in its original form; the anime complicates things and introduces a lot of plot holes.

Rand al'Fain
09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I crossed that threshold a while back. But I started with the dub, so I'm familiar with the dub voices and I have opinions on them. Even when I rewatched the series for the first time recently, when I first started watching Super last fall, I watched the dub. But after watching Super for a while, the dub voices just didn't do it for me any more, so I watched the whole series in Japanese for the first time.

I've known the Japanese voices for a while because I got movies 11-13 on a bootleg fansub way back in the day, and I liked the Japanese voices then. But it wasn't easy to get ahold of the Japanese version back then; the internet was not quite the source of illegal material that it is now.

I love the manga so much. In comparison to the prospect of watching the whole series, reading all 42 volumes of the manga is nothing. And it's a much better and more cohesive story in its original form; the anime complicates things and introduces a lot of plot holes.

The anime though, has Dragon Ball Z Abridged! But people should never, ever watch Dragon Ball Evolution. That abomination completely destroys everything that was good about the series and turns it into another teen angst film.

Terez, do you follow Geekdom101 on youtube by any chance?

Terez
09-09-2016, 01:17 PM
The anime though, has Dragon Ball Z Abridged! But people should never, ever watch Dragon Ball Evolution. That abomination completely destroys everything that was good about the series and turns it into another teen angst film.
I was never even tempted to watch that, and I couldn't understand why so many people watched it, even though clearly no one wanted to watch it.

Terez, do you follow Geekdom101 on youtube by any chance?
Nope. I don't follow anyone on YouTube. I especially stay away from DBZtubers; they have a bad habit of spreading misinformation.

Rand al'Fain
09-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Geekdom is actually a lot better than most. Along with a few others in his "circle" so to speak. If anything, they actually call out those that do spread misinformation. And if Geekdom makes a mistake, he'll at least own up to it.

As for Evolution, I expected it to be bad, but I thought it would be the fun kind of bad movie.

It was not.

Terez
09-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Geekdom is actually a lot better than most. Along with a few others in his "circle" so to speak. If anything, they actually call out those that do spread misinformation. And if Geekdom makes a mistake, he'll at least own up to it.
Watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drc0cSAeSBs). Discussion seems to be at a level below Reddit. But maybe that's just because I'm on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/51z6me/blacks_time_ring_and_my_tentative_take_on_zamasu/). ;) <--(joke) If he's really friends with Herms, though, he must be alright. Herms is one of the few fandom experts I actually like (as a person).

Rand al'Fain
09-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drc0cSAeSBs). Discussion seems to be at a level below Reddit. But maybe that's just because I'm on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/51z6me/blacks_time_ring_and_my_tentative_take_on_zamasu/). ;) <--(joke) If he's really friends with Herms, though, he must be alright. Herms is one of the few fandom experts I actually like (as a person).

Yep. He's had Herms on a few times to discuss the latest Dragon Ball topics.

Rand al'Fain
09-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Well, the latest episode was basically set up. But, in a good way.

But one wonders just how much more Future Trunks' Earth can take. First the androids, then Babidi, and now Black and Zamasu. You get the feeling that there really aren't many Earthlings left. Plus, food is scarce.

One wonders if Old Kai is still in the Z Sword though...

And the preview for the next episode (none this weekend sadly) has the potential to blow about half the theories out of the water, depending on what happens (time paradox being one of them).

Terez
09-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Well, the latest episode was basically set up. But, in a good way.

But one wonders just how much more Future Trunks' Earth can take. First the androids, then Babidi, and now Black and Zamasu. You get the feeling that there really aren't many Earthlings left. Plus, food is scarce.
I have been suspecting for a while now that there's a good possibility Zeno will just destroy that timeline when this arc is done. They did mention he destroyed six universes at once just because he got slightly annoyed about something, and the reason time travel to the past is prohibited is because it complicates reality. So, maybe he has the power to destroy timelines too. Most of the other universes in that timeline should be chugging along more or less identically to the main timeline of the story until very recent events, because the butterfly fallout across universes would be minimal, so all those people would effectively continue to exist in the main timeline. The main differences would be in U7 where the androids decimated Earth's population and then Black and Zamasu started purging planets. (I assume they started there because that's where the super dragon balls are.)

Anyway, I had that thought because I suspect they'd be tempted to make Future Trunks a permanent member of the cast. But maybe they won't go that route, and Goku will just go to New Namek in that timeline and bring Dende to Earth. That would take care of Black's destruction, at least. He could use the Super Dragon Balls to bring himself and the other Z fighters back to life, though his wish for himself would have to be separate. (The others can be lumped together as victims of the androids.) The only option that would truly disappoint me is if they didn't do anything. Either the timeline should be destroyed, or they need to track down some dragon balls.

One wonders if Old Kai is still in the Z Sword though...
He should be, but perhaps they'll go the route of Trunks having also broken the Z Sword and Rou Kai˘shin being dead too. (I'm assuming you asked this because you wonder if Beerus is dead in that timeline, because according to the manga Kai˘shin was killed during the fight with Dabura, which would mean Beerus is dead unless Rou Kai˘shin would save him.)

And the preview for the next episode (none this weekend sadly) has the potential to blow about half the theories out of the water, depending on what happens (time paradox being one of them).
Have you read the episode summaries? I favor the idea that Zamasu will steal Goku's body because it's the most interesting option to me, but I can definitely see them going for something less interesting. People are divided as to whether Whis's theory is a near-confirmation that that's what happened, or whether it actually means that's the least likely option. I tend to learn toward the latter, but again, I could see it either way.

Rand al'Fain
09-14-2016, 09:41 PM
The problem with Zeno destroying another timeline (if possible) is the Zeno of that timeline. Which, when you think about it, was the original timeline.

I could see Goku looking for Dende. Though, wouldn't he have to go to King Kai's world to track New Namek down? Could get a little awkward with two Gokus in the same place. Or just twice the amount of property damage for King Kai to clean up.

There is also Whis, who hasn't been said to be so tied to another being.

And, yeah, I've seen the episode summaries. Though, not sure about it being Goku's body that Black is using. Are we sure that it wasn't taken to Otherworld? Just not sold on it. It's not a bad theory, but it just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Though, my own little theory, is that Black is sort of a Horcrux (yeah, I took that from Harry Potter) to Zamasu's immortality. Once again, just a thought. And Toriyama is known for gaining influence from other sources.

Terez
09-14-2016, 10:22 PM
The problem with Zeno destroying another timeline (if possible) is the Zeno of that timeline. Which, when you think about it, was the original timeline.
Technically, Cell's timeline was the original timeline. But IMO it doesn't matter much which is the original; Zeno can choose the one that's best. And if he wants, he can probably merge/fuse with his other selves, but some people think that Zeno exists outside of time or something. (I don't.)

I could see Goku looking for Dende. Though, wouldn't he have to go to King Kai's world to track New Namek down? Could get a little awkward with two Gokus in the same place. Or just twice the amount of property damage for King Kai to clean up.
He doesn't necessarily have to go to King Kai's any more because he only had to do that the first time because he didn't know where to look for their planet. His ability to lock onto ki in general has improved a lot since then, too. But in any case, even if he did have to go to King Kai's, I don't see how it would be awkward. If Goku is there, I'm sure they'll both find it a fun experience.

The main problem I can see with actually bringing Dende to Earth (rather than just using the Namekian dragon balls) is that the main reason Dende was keen on going to Earth in the first place was because he had friends there (Gohan and Krillin). And those guys could only be wished back by the super dragon balls...or one at a time.

There is also Whis, who hasn't been said to be so tied to another being.
Not sure what you're saying here. That Whis could be supervising? I assume that if Beerus dies he'll be reassigned or something, assuming he's not tied to Beerus in that way.

And, yeah, I've seen the episode summaries. Though, not sure about it being Goku's body that Black is using. Are we sure that it wasn't taken to Otherworld? Just not sold on it. It's not a bad theory, but it just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.
I'm talking about Goku's body in the main timeline. Zamasu steals it, becomes Black, and uses a green time ring to go to Trunks's timeline.

Though, my own little theory, is that Black is sort of a Horcrux (yeah, I took that from Harry Potter) to Zamasu's immortality. Once again, just a thought. And Toriyama is known for gaining influence from other sources.
Seems unnecessary, since we have no reason to believe immortality granted by the super dragon balls would be limited in that way. There's never been any hint of that before, though no one actually managed to make that wish in the canon. (If Garlic Jr. counts, his immortality certainly wasn't limited in that way.)

Rand al'Fain
09-14-2016, 10:49 PM
In thinking this through now, ultimately, one of two things could happen.
1. Future Trunks' timeline is utterly destroyed in one way or another. A rather depressing thought, though it would be a big 180 for Toriyama.

2. The Super Dragon Balls are used to restore Trunks' Earth. How much, hard to say. And who all is brought back to life, as there hasn't been any of those kinds of limits (yet) attached to the Dragon God, who knows who could be brought back.

That said, the Trunks and Mai relationship is interesting, yet, kind of "WTF!?" too. Mai is actually a few years older than Bulma. And is an old woman in a young woman's/girl's body. Rather, unorthodox, even for Toriyama.

Terez
09-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Well, it's not like there's going to be anything going on between them, really, before Trunks is grown. In BOG Mai was uncomfortable about holding his hand. It works because Toriyama made the Pilaf gang so sexually innocent, all the way back to when they were introduced. Remember this?

http://i.imgur.com/Ho80brA.jpg?1

With that in mind, it kind of made sense for them to all be wished into younger bodies.

Rand al'Fain
09-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Well, it's not like there's going to be anything going on between them, really, before Trunks is grown. In BOG Mai was uncomfortable about holding his hand. It works because Toriyama made the Pilaf gang so sexually innocent, all the way back to when they were introduced. Remember this?

http://i.imgur.com/Ho80brA.jpg?1

With that in mind, it kind of made sense for them to all be wished into younger bodies.
True. Though little Mai being so infatuated with 33 year old Trunks leaves kid Trunks sad.

And Pilaf and Shu being so supportive, in their own way, is pretty entertaining too.

Terez
09-15-2016, 02:04 PM
It's only natural for kid Mai to have the hots for Future Trunks rather than kid Trunks because for all her innocence she is an adult in her mind. But eventually he'll grow up, and either Future Trunks is going to return to his timeline or he's going to bring his Mai back with him, so it will all work out in the end.

It was cute when the bandaid incident led to kid Trunks sidling up to Mai, which was what they were trying to get Future Trunks to do, and Pilaf and Shu couldn't figure whether that result was bad or good. "Well, I guess it's okay because he's the same person, right?" lol. (Or something like that.)

Rand al'Fain
09-15-2016, 03:11 PM
It's only natural for kid Mai to have the hots for Future Trunks rather than kid Trunks because for all her innocence she is an adult in her mind. But eventually he'll grow up, and either Future Trunks is going to return to his timeline or he's going to bring his Mai back with him, so it will all work out in the end.

It was cute when the bandaid incident led to kid Trunks sidling up to Mai, which was what they were trying to get Future Trunks to do, and Pilaf and Shu couldn't figure whether that result was bad or good. "Well, I guess it's okay because he's the same person, right?" lol. (Or something like that.)
Ah, good times.

It does raise the question how long Super will go on for. And where Bra/Bulla is (Pan is supposed to be about a year older than her). And how much Super will retcon the ending of DBZ.

Terez
09-16-2016, 01:23 PM
There are already a few details that don't fit, like the implication that Goku wanted to train Uub so he could get stronger himself. Goku implied it, Vegeta thought it to himself, and Piccolo thought Goku vs Uub was going to be the fight of the century, or something. And Bulma said Goku hadn't come to see her in 5 years, but in Super he's at Capsule Corp all the damn time, more than he ever was in Z.

Rand al'Fain
09-16-2016, 06:31 PM
There are already a few details that don't fit, like the implication that Goku wanted to train Uub so he could get stronger himself. Goku implied it, Vegeta thought it to himself, and Piccolo thought Goku vs Uub was going to be the fight of the century, or something. And Bulma said Goku hadn't come to see her in 5 years, but in Super he's at Capsule Corp all the damn time, more than he ever was in Z.

Ah Goku. One of the few, main protagonists who keeps coming across prominent women in the series in the nude (or close to) with absolutely no lewd intentions behind such meetings.

Terez
09-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Ah Goku. One of the few, main protagonists who keeps coming across prominent women in the series in the nude (or close to) with absolutely no lewd intentions behind such meetings.
lol, yes. Goku stalking Bulma was so hilarious. He found her in the shower twice, once when he was stalking her about Whis, and again when he couldn't control his ki and he ended up in her bedroom accidentally. "Vegeta, I didn't come here just to see your wife's saggy boobs!"

Terez
10-10-2016, 03:37 AM
So RAF, what did you think of that last episode?

Amusing news: they made me a mod at r/dbz. There are like 3.5 active mods there (with a sub approaching 100k) and now I'm one of them. It's kind of nuts; I'm such a noob in that fandom. But I have forgotten how act like a noob and apparently there are a lot of people on that sub who take me seriously and think I'm a goddamn expert or something. lol. And maybe I kind of am? Relative to the average fan, or something? I dunno. But I compare DB knowledge level to my WoT knowledge level, and the difference is pretty gargantuan. I'm a DB expert in the sense that everyone at TL is a WoT expert, if that makes sense. There are real experts hanging around, and two of them account for 1.5 of the active mods at r/dbz. The other active mod knows a lot more than me about a lot of things but he's not into series discussion at all, really.

Rand al'Fain
10-10-2016, 10:22 AM
So RAF, what did you think of that last episode?

Amusing news: they made me a mod at r/dbz. There are like 3.5 active mods there (with a sub approaching 100k) and now I'm one of them. It's kind of nuts; I'm such a noob in that fandom. But I have forgotten how act like a noob and apparently there are a lot of people on that sub who take me seriously and think I'm a goddamn expert or something. lol. And maybe I kind of am? Relative to the average fan, or something? I dunno. But I compare DB knowledge level to my WoT knowledge level, and the difference is pretty gargantuan. I'm a DB expert in the sense that everyone at TL is a WoT expert, if that makes sense. There are real experts hanging around, and two of them account for 1.5 of the active mods at r/dbz. The other active mod knows a lot more than me about a lot of things but he's not into series discussion at all, really.
Well, the last episode certainly explained a lot.

And cemented Zamasu as one of the most hated characters in Dragon Ball history now. He deserves to have many horrible, horrible things done to him. And considering he's now one of the very few people to truly piss off Goku, that's saying something.

And Trunks, wow. Looks like he combined his old SSJ grade 3 with a bit of God Ki there. He's had enough of Zamasu's bull.

GonzoTheGreat
10-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Where does Donald Trump fit in?

Rand al'Fain
10-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Where does Donald Trump fit in?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/6/6c/Pilaf_in_his_chair_RR_Army_saga.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120214164455
Not orange enough, I know, but seems pretty close otherwise.

Terez
10-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Well, the last episode certainly explained a lot.

And cemented Zamasu as one of the most hated characters in Dragon Ball history now. He deserves to have many horrible, horrible things done to him. And considering he's now one of the very few people to truly piss off Goku, that's saying something.

And Trunks, wow. Looks like he combined his old SSJ grade 3 with a bit of God Ki there. He's had enough of Zamasu's bull.
I love Zamasu. I mean, obviously he's an evil dude and deserves whatever is coming to him, but he might be my favorite DB villain ever. The fact that there's two of him just makes it even better; I absolutely love the dynamic between them.

I like to call Trunks's new form Super Saiyan BleuÔtre.

If Trump is anyone in DB, it's Mr. Satan.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/ultradragonball/images/e/e6/MrSatan.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111002023648

Nazbaque
10-10-2016, 02:28 PM
If Trump is anyone in DB, it's Mr. Satan.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/ultradragonball/images/e/e6/MrSatan.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111002023648

Well okay, if Trump did some small thing that was a part of an important whole then he really would blow that completely out of proportion and grab all the credit. But. Could he ever actually do even a small part of anything useful?

So he's like mr. Satan without the very small number of good points. Or just the one good point.

Rand al'Fain
10-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Well okay, if Trump did some small thing that was a part of an important whole then he really would blow that completely out of proportion and grab all the credit. But. Could he ever actually do even a small part of anything useful?

So he's like mr. Satan without the very small number of good points. Or just the one good point.

Mr. Satan also, at the start of Super, gave the Son family something like 100 million zeni as thanks for the Buu fiasco/apologizing for taking all of Gohan's credit.

I don't see Trump giving 5 cents to a hungry child, let alone a fortune to people he took credit from.

Terez
10-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Like I said...

If Trump is anyone in DB...

It's the closest parallel. It's far from perfect.

Nazbaque
10-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Like I said...

It's the closest parallel. It's far from perfect.

I thought it could use some elaboration. Can't think of anyone getting closer than mr.Satan either. Kind of gives you a new perspective on Trump. Even DB villains are more reliable.

Rand al'Fain
10-10-2016, 06:15 PM
I thought it could use some elaboration. Can't think of anyone getting closer than mr.Satan either. Kind of gives you a new perspective on Trump. Even DB villains are more reliable.

Even the Pilaf gang is turning out to be not so bad, helpful even. Pretty entertaining too.

And I never saw the TrunksxMai thing coming. But, it somehow works. It does make me wonder how she survived whereas Pilaf and Shu didn't (that's assuming they died in Future Trunks' timeline).

Terez
10-11-2016, 03:06 AM
Yeah, you'd think she would have at least mentioned them to Trunks, since they were such a big part of her life. But maybe they haven't had the luxury of getting to know each other yet. For all we know, they might have been killed by the androids.

I wouldn't call Satan a villain. Just an antagonist. The reason he makes a decent Trump parallel is because he's deluded himself into thinking that he really is the greatest despite all the evidence to the contrary. He likes putting his name on everythingŚhis cars, his planes, his hotels, his city even (Trump is jealous of that one). He's a womanizer (Videl hates this), he's full of hot air, he craves media attention, and even when he gave Goku the 100 million zeny, he envisioned it as a bribe to get Goku to keep his secret.

http://i.imgur.com/Z36rQtD.png
http://i.imgur.com/BX1VvmN.png

Nazbaque
10-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Well aren't protagonist and antagonist just hero and villain as defined by the story rather than general morality? On that basis I wouldn't call Satan an atagonist. Not a nice guy but he doesn't impede the heroes either. Glory grabbing doesn't really count when the heroes aren't after glory. Then again villain isn't really the right word either. He isn't exactly evil just selfish as hell. Possibly the word we are looking for is douchebag.

So the new perspective on Trump is that he is less reliable than the villains and douchebags of DB.

Rand al'Fain
10-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Well, with Super's latest episode, it started off with a real bang. And kept going from there.

Terez
10-28-2016, 10:32 PM
I'm loving this arc so much.

Looks like Toei confirmed my timeline theory today too, lol. All I'm waiting on now is for them to confirm that Trunks arriving was what caused the main timeline to diverge from Black's timeline. But that does seem to be the only explanation that makes sense, for a number of reasons.

Rand al'Fain
10-29-2016, 12:20 AM
I'm loving this arc so much.

Looks like Toei confirmed my timeline theory today too, lol. All I'm waiting on now is for them to confirm that Trunks arriving was what caused the main timeline to diverge from Black's timeline. But that does seem to be the only explanation that makes sense, for a number of reasons.

Question is, what happens at the end of the arc? Future Trunks' world, universe even, is in tatters. And it's questionable if there's even enough people left to keep his world going. And with even the Super Dragon Balls gone...

Though next episode, we get to see the rumored "white haired enemy" finally! And, possibly the return of Vegito!

Terez
10-30-2016, 06:53 AM
I have been arguing for a long time that Zeno is going to destroy a few timelines when this is all over. Trunks's world is fucked. All the gods are dead, the SDBs are destroyed, and while they could potentially use the Namekian dragon balls (assuming Black and Zamasu didn't find New Namek), I just doubt it. This arc seems to be about putting an end to time travel, and the very first episode of the arc introduces the fact that Zeno has the power to destroy whole universes.

Zombie Sammael
10-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Now that the official sub is out and free on AnimeLab, I've just started. On the second episode but it's mostly just catching up with everyone atm.

The entire Future Trunks arc is available but I don't want to skip stuff. I've already seen the Resurrection F movie.

Rand al'Fain
10-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Now that the official sub is out and free on AnimeLab, I've just started. On the second episode but it's mostly just catching up with everyone atm.

The entire Future Trunks arc is available but I don't want to skip stuff. I've already seen the Resurrection F movie.

Just a heads up, some of the upcoming episodes will have design issues. And the Battle of Gods/Resurrection of F arcs, while still telling the same overall story, will have some differences.

Plus, you don't want to skip the arc after Resurrection of F. Some good stuff there.

Rand al'Fain
11-04-2016, 02:41 PM
The English Dub (Funimation) was just announced!

And I have been playing Xenoverse 2...

Terez
11-05-2016, 12:35 AM
They announced that they have the rights (finally) anyway. No projection on when they'll start releasing it. A lot of people (like me) have given up on it at this point. We're already used to the Japanese voices to the point that the English ones sound weird now. And people aren't very thrilled with Sean Schemmel's take on Black in XV2, or the VA they cast for Hit.

Rand al'Fain
11-05-2016, 01:25 AM
They announced that they have the rights (finally) anyway. No projection on when they'll start releasing it. A lot of people (like me) have given up on it at this point. We're already used to the Japanese voices to the point that the English ones sound weird now. And people aren't very thrilled with Sean Schemmel's take on Black in XV2, or the VA they cast for Hit.

Given up, when it's been announced...

Me, I still watch the Dub if the Buu Saga and watch Kai on Toonami. So, not really bothered by the voices. And still prefer the English over the Japanese.

As for Schemmel's Black voice, all he has to do, I think, is give it a tone of arrogance.

As I got ready to respond, I got glitched outside the barrier of one of the maps on X2 somehow.
Really like the way the transformations have been implemented (you don't have to keep charging up to maintain them), but I'm hoping for next level stuff in the DLC when it comes out.

Terez
11-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Given up, when it's been announced...
As in, have no interest in watching it really.

I don't play any of the DB games.

Rand al'Fain
11-05-2016, 02:20 PM
As in, have no interest in watching it really.

I don't play any of the DB games.

Other than the Xenoverse games, same here.

Kind of cool being able to go all the way to SSJ3. And the storyline ain't bad either.

Rand al'Fain
11-20-2016, 01:12 AM
Well now. Good to know just what kind of power little Zeno is packing.

Remind me not to ever piss him off. He obliterated an immortal reality warper and an entire timeline/universe without any effort what so ever. Though the "space" it occupied still existed. Nothing else though.

But a satisfying ending. Maybe Future Trunks will pop back over with a couple 1/4 Saiyans of his own sometime.

And was it just me, or was Gohan in the middle of training before coming to see Trunks off? That should sate the Gohan fanatics.

Terez
12-05-2016, 05:43 AM
Well now. Good to know just what kind of power little Zeno is packing.

Remind me not to ever piss him off. He obliterated an immortal reality warper and an entire timeline/universe without any effort what so ever. Though the "space" it occupied still existed. Nothing else though.
Foreshadowed in the first episode of the arc.

And was it just me, or was Gohan in the middle of training before coming to see Trunks off? That should sate the Gohan fanatics.
He was out of shape tho.

Rand al'Fain
12-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Well, both DBZ Kai Buu Saga AND DB Super English Dub have been announced for January 7, 2017.

...Yes I will be, essentially, rewatching Super in English. Sue me.

Terez
02-17-2017, 05:48 AM
I have been watching the Funi dub, of course; I was never not going to watch it. Haven't made time yet for the Bang Zoom dub, but I will eventually.

If you go to r/dbz we have a Discord link in the sidebar; your buddy Geekdom visits us occasionally. It occurred to me to post here because he's there now. I linked him not long ago to where we discussed him upthread; I don't know where/how he heard of me but he followed me a while back on Twitter.

He's doing a video on something I pointed out to him and he said he's going to "credit" me for "discovering" it lol. I really doubt I was the first person to have noticed this particular detail, which he calls a plothole, but I have a headcanon to fix it so I don't think of it that way. (He says headcanons can't fix plotholes.)

I'm still pretty much a noob in this fandom but there are all types in the superfan circle and being a r/dbz mod I guess I am in it, if barely. Kinda weird.

GonzoTheGreat
02-17-2017, 06:30 AM
He says headcanons can't fix plotholes.
Headcannons can, though. Note: don't try this at home.

Rand al'Fain
02-17-2017, 09:54 PM
I have been watching the Funi dub, of course; I was never not going to watch it. Haven't made time yet for the Bang Zoom dub, but I will eventually.

If you go to r/dbz we have a Discord link in the sidebar; your buddy Geekdom visits us occasionally. It occurred to me to post here because he's there now. I linked him not long ago to where we discussed him upthread; I don't know where/how he heard of me but he followed me a while back on Twitter.

He's doing a video on something I pointed out to him and he said he's going to "credit" me for "discovering" it lol. I really doubt I was the first person to have noticed this particular detail, which he calls a plothole, but I have a headcanon to fix it so I don't think of it that way. (He says headcanons can't fix plotholes.)

I'm still pretty much a noob in this fandom but there are all types in the superfan circle and being a r/dbz mod I guess I am in it, if barely. Kinda weird.
I'm just a subscriber of his. And managed to navigate away from the youtubers that post fan theories as facts (still see videos referencing Super Saiyan White on my Recommended list). Somehow. He also is one of the first, if not the first youtube to break news on new Dragon Ball info, straight from Herms. Like the Gods of Destruction name reveal.

But I'll be looking forward to his video on this, whatever this plothole is (older fans can sometimes simply overlook plotholes, and not even realize it).

Terez
02-18-2017, 12:46 AM
I'm just a subscriber of his. And managed to navigate away from the youtubers that post fan theories as facts (still see videos referencing Super Saiyan White on my Recommended list). Somehow. He also is one of the first, if not the first youtube to break news on new Dragon Ball info, straight from Herms. Like the Gods of Destruction name reveal.
That one wasn't straight from Herms because Herms was in bed. (He lives in Hawaii.) I did a post on r/dbz (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5umvbs/all_12_gods_of_destruction/) based on a db-z.com article (French DB site) and I updated it as we got better translators on the scene (namely Herms). That's a big part of what I do on reddit. Mostly it's maintaining spoiler megathreads (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5udyoh/super_spoiler_megathread_episodes_7980/) but last month I started doing manga scanlations (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5pczar/dbs_chapter_20_english/) too, based on the Herms text translation. We should be getting the new one today or tomorrow.

But I'll be looking forward to his video on this, whatever this plothole is (older fans can sometimes simply overlook plotholes, and not even realize it).
This video will be about a Super plothole. As for old ones, though, he tripped out over this one (https://twitter.com/EmperorBigD/status/830102947094728707).

Rand al'Fain
02-18-2017, 02:03 AM
That one wasn't straight from Herms because Herms was in bed. (He lives in Hawaii.) I did a post on r/dbz (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5umvbs/all_12_gods_of_destruction/) based on a db-z.com article (French DB site) and I updated it as we got better translators on the scene (namely Herms). That's a big part of what I do on reddit. Mostly it's maintaining spoiler megathreads (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5udyoh/super_spoiler_megathread_episodes_7980/) but last month I started doing manga scanlations (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5pczar/dbs_chapter_20_english/) too, based on the Herms text translation. We should be getting the new one today or tomorrow.

This video will be about a Super plothole. As for old ones, though, he tripped out over this one (https://twitter.com/EmperorBigD/status/830102947094728707).

Nice.
Though, I don't really do reddit. Just the way that forum is setup. May have to keep an eye on it now though.

Terez
02-18-2017, 03:22 AM
Nice.
Though, I don't really do reddit. Just the way that forum is setup. May have to keep an eye on it now though.
I joined forever ago for a Brandon AMA, but I never really used it before I started watching Super. It just stuck out as one of the best subreddits of that size and a good place to keep up with what was going on. It's a good subreddit because it's very heavily moderated. It's still Reddit, and the discussions aren't often great, but we remove repeat topics and garbage all day long, and do our best to keep the news updated and visible. We pay much better attention attention to Kanzenshuu (the main DB forum/news/research site - basically all the major WoT sites rolled up into one) than the r/wot mods ever paid to the major WoT forums. All the active older mods are much younger than me; the oldest, the headmod, is 25 (not counting one guy whose age I don't know) and the youngest is 18.

Terez
02-28-2017, 04:16 AM
al'Fain, just out of curiosity, what did you think about Geekdom's rant video, assuming you even watched it? I gather he lost a lot of fans over it. (In case you're wondering, I think I know him well enough by now to say he lost the link to this thread and will probably never look at it again.) [Also relevant. (https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/836056003749765120)]

Rand al'Fain
03-06-2017, 11:31 PM
al'Fain, just out of curiosity, what did you think about Geekdom's rant video, assuming you even watched it? I gather he lost a lot of fans over it. (In case you're wondering, I think I know him well enough by now to say he lost the link to this thread and will probably never look at it again.) [Also relevant. (https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/836056003749765120)]

Not his first rant vid, nor his last. And his sub count is over 200,000 right now (all things considered, not bad). So, I don't think he lost many, if any subscribers.

For those that don't like his personality, they don't subscribe/stay subscribed to him for long. But the rest, well, he does try to be accurate and give credit where it's due. Also helps to have people like MasakoX (TeamFourStar's voice of Goku and Gohan) and Chris Sabat (Funimation's voice for Vegeta and Piccolo).

And he finally did your plothole in a video, and did credit you with it.

And the comments on the video, some are trying to make it work, by making some sort of head canon. Others seem confused as they thought Beerus would be dead already (forgetting that Beerus only died when Babidi and Dabura killed the Supreme Kai).

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcPZ4OtUgs&t=214s

Terez
03-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Not his first rant vid, nor his last. And his sub count is over 200,000 right now (all things considered, not bad). So, I don't think he lost many, if any subscribers.

For those that don't like his personality, they don't subscribe/stay subscribed to him for long. But the rest, well, he does try to be accurate and give credit where it's due. Also helps to have people like MasakoX (TeamFourStar's voice of Goku and Gohan) and Chris Sabat (Funimation's voice for Vegeta and Piccolo).

And he finally did your plothole in a video, and did credit you with it.

And the comments on the video, some are trying to make it work, by making some sort of head canon. Others seem confused as they thought Beerus would be dead already (forgetting that Beerus only died when Babidi and Dabura killed the Supreme Kai).

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcPZ4OtUgs&t=214s
Yeah I saw it as soon as it came out. People were asking me all day what it was going to be about, but since Geekdom likes to keep things mysterious I wouldn't tell anyone.

I have my own headcanon, which he mentioned in the video, but his take on it is that headcanons can't fix plotholes. I just like to think that, in those other timelines, Goku achieved god power in Otherworld in the same way that Vegeta did; since we know that he hangs out with the gods in Otherworld it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.

He tags me on Twitter with this stuff so I'm starting to accumulate DB followers. I was doing that before he started tagging me but he's speeding up the process quite a bit. Most of my followers are WoT people but I don't know how much attention they're paying to Twitter now that Brandon doesn't really use it anymore, so I'm getting less reluctant to tweet about DB stuff now. For a long time I was avoiding it and just using Twitter to reply to people.

I dove into the YouTube comments on that video a little bit and there are a ton of confused people who don't seem to understand that the problem is that the prophecy happened before the timelines split, and therefore it happened in all timelines. One way to write it off is to say it wasn't a real prophecy, but IMO that's a stretch, especially in Super where the details were so accurate.

Rand al'Fain
05-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Well now. The rumors that've been circulating for the last week (that I only found out about yesterday) are true;
We're getting a roster shakeup, and it makes sense when you think about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd8XYGapw4&t=186s

Terez
05-11-2017, 03:09 AM
Well now. The rumors that've been circulating for the last week (that I only found out about yesterday) are true;
We're getting a roster shakeup, and it makes sense when you think about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd8XYGapw4&t=186s
First.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/250717689847349248/312138753403781122/Screen_Shot_2017-05-11_at_3.07.14_AM.png

Rand al'Fain
05-11-2017, 09:23 PM
First.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/250717689847349248/312138753403781122/Screen_Shot_2017-05-11_at_3.07.14_AM.png

Ah.
Still, though. Interesting news nonetheless. With half the fandom in meltdown mode over it.

Terez
05-13-2017, 06:19 AM
First again. (https://twitter.com/EmperorBigD/status/863347715119472640)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/249461669737136130/312911018131193858/Screen_Shot_2017-05-13_at_6.15.58_AM.png

Rand al'Fain
05-14-2017, 09:57 PM
First again. (https://twitter.com/EmperorBigD/status/863347715119472640)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/249461669737136130/312911018131193858/Screen_Shot_2017-05-13_at_6.15.58_AM.png

WOW! Frieza pretty much confirmed! Nice job Terez!

Rand al'Fain
06-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Sonofa...
Now the latest going around is that Frieza is headed off to Universe 4 and Yamcha of all people, who has been retired as a martial artist since the Cell Games, is going to be #10.

Taking Buu out and putting Frieza in? Okay, I can get behind that. Would even make for some interesting interactions between him and the other universe characters.

But this? Ugh. Heard anything on your end to confirm this Terez?