PDA

View Full Version : Could WoT still win a Hugo?

rand
10-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Just saw this (http://www.tor.com/2016/09/30/worldcon-75-best-series-hugo-award/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_term=tordotcom-tordotcomnewsletter&utm_content=na-readblog-blogpost&utm_campaign=tor) over at TOR and it made me wonder. There's going to be a new Hugo category for "best series" starting this year and potentially continuing in later years. This seems to be pretty obviously brought on by WoT as it got Hugo discussion previously. The only problem is this:
An eligible work for this special award is a multi-volume science fiction or fantasy story, unified by elements such as plot, characters, setting, and presentation, which has appeared in at least three volumes consisting of a total of at least 240,000 words by the close of the calendar year 2016, at least one volume of which was published in 2016.
This would seem to disqualify WoT, but what if they publish new editions or something? I imagine that will happen when/if the tv series ever gets done. So I'd say there's at least a small chance WoT could get a Hugo still.

Nazbaque
10-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Just saw this (http://www.tor.com/2016/09/30/worldcon-75-best-series-hugo-award/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_term=tordotcom-tordotcomnewsletter&utm_content=na-readblog-blogpost&utm_campaign=tor) over at TOR and it made me wonder. There's going to be a new Hugo category for "best series" starting this year and potentially continuing in later years. This seems to be pretty obviously brought on by WoT as it got Hugo discussion previously. The only problem is this:

This would seem to disqualify WoT, but what if they publish new editions or something? I imagine that will happen when/if the tv series ever gets done. So I'd say there's at least a small chance WoT could get a Hugo still.

I think the spirit of this rule is that at least one volume was first published in 2016. The wording might allow later editions, but they will probably change that if the argument comes up.

Sarevok
10-08-2016, 12:49 PM
I think the spirit of this rule is that at least one volume was first published in 2016. The wording might allow later editions, but they will probably change that if the argument comes up.

Yup, what Naz said. I had to double-check, but the companion is from late 2015.