PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion!

Purple Dragon
12-02-2016, 01:34 PM
What do people suggest for a nice longer series?
Author isn't so important, but i WOULD like for it to maybe be a series where the author do NOT "depart" too soon... not that anyone can really guarantee that one...

jarno87
12-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Recently, I've been reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. This currently stands at 4 books, with at least 2 more to come, and at 39 the author is still quite young. I liked this series a lot, and the magic system is very creative (on par with the best from Brandon Sanderson).

Another nice series is the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett.

rand
12-02-2016, 11:19 PM
I can't remember, have you read Malazan? The main series (10 books) is already done, but the authors keep expanding on it with smaller series/trilogies/novellas.

Purple Dragon
12-03-2016, 02:04 AM
I can't remember, have you read Malazan? The main series (10 books) is already done, but the authors keep expanding on it with smaller series/trilogies/novellas.

nope... no i have not read Malazan series... i have finished WoT and Discworld and Happy Rotter... but been doing too many things lately to actually read a book too ;)

Nazbaque
12-03-2016, 05:23 AM
Robin Hobb? Something like a series of trilogies. Fairly long reads all of them.

Kimon
12-03-2016, 11:29 AM
nope... no i have not read Malazan series... i have finished WoT and Discworld and Happy Rotter... but been doing too many things lately to actually read a book too ;)

I'll second the suggestion of Malazan. Sanderson also has quite a few worthy series if you haven't tried any of his non-WoT works. The Mistborn books especially were really good, but the Stormlight series seems off to a good start, as does Warbreaker. Guy Gavriel Kay doesn't tend to do series so much as stand alone fantasy novels (except the Fionavar trilogy, but I haven't read those), but they are really excellent - Tigana probably is the single best fantasy novel I've ever read.

Isabel
12-04-2016, 02:36 AM
Are you only looking for Fantasy or also Sci Fi or urban fantasy and stuff like that?
What do you consider long? :)

Purple Dragon
12-12-2016, 04:00 AM
Are you only looking for Fantasy or also Sci Fi or urban fantasy and stuff like that?
What do you consider long? :)

Fantasy to begin with, but...Urban Fantasy? not sure i even KNOW what that is... RS mentioned several years ago a type of story where the premise was that the confederate army had somehow gotten modern weapons... that sounded kinda interesting too... anything like what Urban Fantasy is?

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2016, 04:41 AM
The Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South)
And that isn't Urban Fantasy, I think. Too much countryside, for one thing. To much SciFi, for another. I suspect that the Twilight saga should count as UF, but I also suspect that neither fans of Meyer nor fans of UF would agree.

Weird Harold
12-12-2016, 06:27 AM
The Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South)
And that isn't Urban Fantasy, I think. Too much countryside, for one thing. To much SciFi, for another. I suspect that the Twilight saga should count as UF, but I also suspect that neither fans of Meyer nor fans of UF would agree.
That -- and pretty much everything by Harry Turtledove -- is "Alternate History."

DahLliA
12-12-2016, 07:38 AM
I'll second the suggestion of Malazan.

Thirded :p

Also, The Black Company by Glen Cook: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

Sarevok
12-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Brandon Sanderson is still awesome. :D

Purple Dragon
12-15-2016, 03:05 AM
Brandon Sanderson is still awesome. :D

where to start then, sare?

Sarevok
12-15-2016, 04:04 AM
where to start then, sare?

Easiest would be Warbreaker, since it's right here:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/warbreaker/Warbreaker_hardcover_1st_ed.pdf
After that, I'd recommend his Cosmere books in the order they were published
Here they're listed by sub-series, but publication years are mentioned too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson_bibliography#The_Cosmere_Cycle

Nazbaque
12-15-2016, 04:15 AM

Have you read Farseer?

yks 6nnetu hing
12-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Malazan is hit and miss. With me it was a definite miss.

I really liked the Robin Hobb books (Farseer) that were already mentioned... More long ones... You can try the Dragonrider series by Anne McCaffrey, she died a few years ago but the series is twenty something books. She did write the first ones in the 60s so some of the social commentary is... A little outdated. I assume you've read Harry Potter? 7 books, that one.

Davian93
12-15-2016, 08:43 AM
That -- and pretty much everything by Harry Turtledove -- is "Alternate History."

Another title for it would be "See, the South Wasn't So Bad..." given the amount of whitewashing of southern history he does in those alternate histories.

Purple Dragon
12-22-2016, 06:04 AM
Harry Potter Done
Artemis Fowl - Done
Wheel of Time - Doh
Discworld - Done
Percy Jackson + spin offs - done
Robin Hobb - Done
Original Dune - done
Star Ward - Do NOT get me started
Dragon Riders of Pern - first ones done
Mercedes Lackey - there might be one or two i have not read but still... done
edited because people are crazy...
The Hoobit - Done when i was 12
Lord of the Ring - Done when i was 16
Silmarillion - done at 33
Dan Brown thingies - Done

GonzoTheGreat
12-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Technically, Dune isn't Fantasy.
You could try the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, though finding those may be difficult nowadays.
And of course there's always Lord of the Rings to try. :p

Kimon
12-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower series also comes to mind. It's more fantasy than horror, though it overlaps with some of his horror novels (like Salem's Lot). It trails off a bit at the end, but the first five books are really good, with the fourth book, Wizard and Glass, being one of the best fantasy novels I've come across. One of the other overlap novels, Eyes of the Dragon, is probably my second favorite King novel.

Nazbaque
12-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Harry Potter Done
Artemis Fowl - Done
Wheel of Time - Doh
Discworld - Done
Percy Jackson + spin offs - done
Robin Hobb - Done
Original Dune - done
Star Ward - Do NOT get me started
Dragon Riders of Pern - first ones done
Mercedes Lackey - there might be one or two i have not read but still... done

I assume you've read Tolkien and just forgot to add it. If you actually haven't read Lord of the Rings: OMG WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU????

Other than that there's not really anything I'd recomend that isn't on your list. There's a few books that are good reading material for learning how NOT to tell a story, but you might have excluded them from your list for precisely that reason or not interested even if you haven't read them.

Kimon
12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
I assume you've read Tolkien and just forgot to add it. If you actually haven't read Lord of the Rings: OMG WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU????

Other than that there's not really anything I'd recomend that isn't on your list. There's a few books that are good reading material for learning how NOT to tell a story, but you might have excluded them from your list for precisely that reason or not interested even if you haven't read them.

I'd guess that just about everyone that has read extensively in fantasy has read Tolkien, though if he hasn't, I'd suggest starting with either the Hobbit or the Silmarillion. Lord of the Rings is the most famous of Tolkien's works, but it's also, by far, the worst of the three main works.

Purple Dragon
12-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Technically, Dune isn't Fantasy.
You could try the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, though finding those may be difficult nowadays.
And of course there's always Lord of the Rings to try. :p

i am quite sure it isn't an autobiography though...

Nazbaque
12-22-2016, 04:34 PM
I'd guess that just about everyone that has read extensively in fantasy has read Tolkien, though if he hasn't, I'd suggest starting with either the Hobbit or the Silmarillion. Lord of the Rings is the most famous of Tolkien's works, but it's also, by far, the worst of the three main works.

Why would you say that? I can accept liking the others more but "by far" suggest some serious dislike. Did you perhaps see the movies before you read the books?

Kimon
12-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Why would you say that? I can accept liking the others more but "by far" suggest some serious dislike. Did you perhaps see the movies before you read the books?

No, I read the books long before the movies came out. I have however only read them once - back in middle school (so when I was like 12). I've read the Silmarillion enough times that my paperback copy is barely still holding together. This is, admittedly, a subjective matter, but I see it sort of similar to the difference between the best of WoT (FoH and LoC), compared to say CoT.

Nazbaque
12-22-2016, 08:44 PM
No, I read the books long before the movies came out. I have however only read them once - back in middle school (so when I was like 12). I've read the Silmarillion enough times that my paperback copy is barely still holding together. This is, admittedly, a subjective matter, but I see it sort of similar to the difference between the best of WoT (FoH and LoC), compared to say CoT.

Were the opinions of your 12-year-old self reliable? Mine weren't I can tell you that much. Time to see if your current self agrees?

rand
12-22-2016, 09:33 PM
A few others:

His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks
First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

They're all trilogies, so idk if you'd consider them "long" series, but they're all good/entertaining. And they're all finished too.

Tomp
01-02-2017, 09:15 AM
If you haven't read Jim Butcher I'd suggest the Dresden Files.
The first two books are good and then it takes of into greatness. With tons of pop culture references and encounters with fairytale creatures which are quite different from those in our stories.

There are awesome quotes as well as bad puns like this one:
“What's up, boss?"
"Evil's afoot."
"Well, sure," Bob said, "because it refuses to learn the metric system. Otherwise it'd be up to a meter by now.”

And lines like
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”

Ozymandias
02-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Do they have to be complete?

Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series ranges from very solid to amazing, and the fourth book (of 7) should be released sometime this year (was pushed back from a 9/16 release for reasons).

Patrick Rothfuss is maybe the best fantasy writer out there; Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are both amazing, and the final entry is hopefully forthcoming in the near future; been several years since WMF.

Those are the two that came immediately to mind.

Anaiya Sedai
02-21-2017, 07:58 AM
I'm with Sare and would definitely recommend all of Sanderson.

I HATED Brent Weeks' writing, I found it very shallow, and some of the terms he uses really break the suspension of disbelief for me.

Farseer Trilogy is an awesome start into Robin Hobb, you can work your way from there through the other trilogies.

I tried Malazan a couple of times and couldn't get into it.

Daekyras
02-27-2017, 07:22 AM
David Gemmell writes(wrote) superior heroic fantasy novels.

David eddings always good for a read- Try the Elenium rather than the belgariad.

Cary Sedai
03-04-2017, 11:32 AM
If you haven't read Jim Butcher I'd suggest the Dresden Files.
The first two books are good and then it takes of into greatness. With tons of pop culture references and encounters with fairytale creatures which are quite different from those in our stories.

There are awesome quotes as well as bad puns like this one:
“What's up, boss?"
"Evil's afoot."
"Well, sure," Bob said, "because it refuses to learn the metric system. Otherwise it'd be up to a meter by now.”

And lines like
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”

Dresden Files are amazing!!!!! would they be classified as urban fantasy? I didn't look up the definition. Also, Butcher has a fantasy series that I enjoyed, The Codex Alera series. I am currently reading the first book of his new series. The Aeronauts Windlass, so far so good.