PDA

View Full Version : Rogue One (Just Assume Spoilers)

Davian93
12-16-2016, 09:29 AM
So...anyone else see it yet?

I did and I thought it was excellent.

ShadowbaneX
12-16-2016, 12:11 PM
So...anyone else see it yet?

I did and I thought it was excellent.

I haven't. Checking out of the office in half an hour for the Christmas lunch. Then after that going to see the 4:45 show...with the office. Like half the office hasn't seen Star Wars before...like any of it.

Davian93
12-16-2016, 01:28 PM
I haven't. Checking out of the office in half an hour for the Christmas lunch. Then after that going to see the 4:45 show...with the office. Like half the office hasn't seen Star Wars before...like any of it.

That half probably won't appreciate it too much then.

ShadowbaneX
12-16-2016, 02:43 PM
That half probably won't appreciate it too much then.

It turns out that 2 of the 3 have seen like Eps 4 & 5...back when they first came out. One of the fun things about working for a 70 year old Architect.

Davian93
12-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Honestly, you really only need to have ever seen Episode 4 to know what's going on.

ShadowbaneX
12-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Honestly, you really only need to have ever seen Episode 4 to know what's going on.

Yeah, but that still means one is clueless.

Anyway, movie starts in 5 + commercials & trailers.

Daekyras
12-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Saw it. Loved it.

Darker and with a terrific sense of pace. Top notch film making and top drawer star warsing

ShadowbaneX
12-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Just got home from seeing and it was indeed very good. There were some points that I'd have done differently. I didn't mind the CGI in theory, but it did give me a terrible sense of the uncanny valley when it showed up.

The pace off the start was a little jumpy going from planet to planet, but it was sorta necessary to start things off.

I wasn't too keen on the "choke you" line. Seemed a little un-Vader-ish. I liked that anyone that didn't appear in another movie didn't survive through it. I had thought that perhaps they'd find a way from a character or two to survive, but taking them all out works and makes sense for the Original Trilogy, even if I felt that the scene on the beach with the megadeath cloud a little over done.

Giving Vader his moment of why he's an utter badass was good, but I think having the Tantive IV docked and barely escaping at the end wasn't quite right. I would have preferred it being nearby and in range to receive the plans a bit better. I get why they did it, but having Leia essentially in the middle of that fight doesn't quite make sense.

All-in-all though those are just minor complaints and on the whole I loved it. I think on first reflection I actually like it better than The Force Awakens.

Davian93
12-16-2016, 07:44 PM
I didn't mind the CGI resurrections at all. I thought they did a great job with it to be honest.

Vader utterly destroyed those rebels...that scene was epic.

His one liner was groan worthy but then who's ever gonna tell him one of his jokes isn't funny. He's probably gotten used to his lackeys laughing at everything so he's forgotten what's funny.

I liked it a lot more than TFA.

ShadowbaneX
12-17-2016, 03:03 AM
I don't mind the idea of CGI Cushing & young Carrie Fisher, but the Uncanny Valley hit so hard. It might have been due to the picture quality and I've seen many mixed reactions but they were way off compared to Mon Mothma.

Vader was a horror movie villain, an unstoppable Black Juggernaut, as he should be. That line was off...or perhaps it was the hand gesture. It seemed...childish. A younger Vader I could perhaps have bought it off of, but sering as how this is essentially the same Vader as from A New Hope, it didn't seem to fit.

Again, these are minor details that just seemed a bit off. Everything else was perfect down to the 70's esthetics for many of the rebels, the call outs to the original including those two that get cut down by Obi-Wan in Mos Eisley, the Ghost appearing & Hera (or her father) getting name checked on Yavin 4, the firing sequence on the Death Star. So much was just spot on.

Like one other minor annoyance, Storm Troopers. There were too many. I get they want the faceless legions, but my coworker turned to me and asked once it was over why the white guys were so useless. For the Empire's elite, they wee cut down really easily. They could have had some more generic troopers instead, although then you sorta tmrun into faceless extra vs those that show their faces.

Sarevok
12-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Saw it thursday. It was okay, but I wasn't really blown away by it. I liked episode 7 better. :)

ShadowbaneX
12-17-2016, 08:39 AM
Another minor annoyance as an extension of an earlier annoyance: so Vader show's up twice, once on Mustafar with his choke line and then again one the Rebel flagship as the terror from the Abyss. How much greater an impact would he have had if the first sign he's around is hearing his mechanical breathing, followed by his lightsabre igniting?

That first scene with him is now pretty much a waste to me.

Davian93
12-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Well, with Mon Mothma there wasn't and CGI, that was just the same actress they used in Revenge of the sith that looks like the original. Tarkin didn't really freak me out. Leia looked far weirder than he did. Maybe because Tarkin is supposed to be creepy so it didn't really take away from the character where as Leia was like "ok that's weird CGI"

Davian93
12-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Another minor annoyance as an extension of an earlier annoyance: so Vader show's up twice, once on Mustafar with his choke line and then again one the Rebel flagship as the terror from the Abyss. How much greater an impact would he have had if the first sign he's around is hearing his mechanical breathing, followed by his lightsabre igniting?

That first scene with him is now pretty much a waste to me.

Yeah, that would have been awesome.

fionwe1987
12-18-2016, 12:30 AM
I liked it, despite the choppy first half hour.

Admiral Torkin and Leia were very weird for me. That they were CGI was obvious, and I've seen better CGI in games. It wasn't so much their look as it was the weirdness of their movements. Even when they were still and just talking, it was bizarrely obvious they were fake.

I, too, found it weird that Leia would be so close to the battle. But apparently the initial extraction was written far differently, so these scenes were probably added later.

I was happy they all died. Till the end, I thought that they would only have the non-white actors die, and not have the guts to kill off everyone.

On the whole, this was a great addition, and this means Disney will be more adventurous in funding non-Skywalker Star Wars stories.

Davian93
12-18-2016, 08:14 PM
I liked it, despite the choppy first half hour.

Admiral Torkin and Leia were very weird for me. That they were CGI was obvious, and I've seen better CGI in games. It wasn't so much their look as it was the weirdness of their movements. Even when they were still and just talking, it was bizarrely obvious they were fake.

I, too, found it weird that Leia would be so close to the battle. But apparently the initial extraction was written far differently, so these scenes were probably added later.

I was happy they all died. Till the end, I thought that they would only have the non-white actors die, and not have the guts to kill off everyone.

On the whole, this was a great addition, and this means Disney will be more adventurous in funding non-Skywalker Star Wars stories.

Its definitely a great example of the uncanny valley. I didn't really mind it so much. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it wasn't a huge freak out...at least for Tarkin. Leia at the end was freaky weird CGI and completely unnecessary. They really didnt need to show her face at all for that scene to work.

ShadowbaneX
12-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Its definitely a great example of the uncanny valley. I didn't really mind it so much. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it wasn't a huge freak out...at least for Tarkin. Leia at the end was freaky weird CGI and completely unnecessary. They really didnt need to show her face at all for that scene to work.
For geeks. If you're going into the movie blind, and there's quite a few now that haven't seen the Original Trilogy, they've got no idea who she is.

StrangePackage
12-18-2016, 09:38 PM
So just to be that guy...

Where the fuck were the Bothans?

I kept waiting for them to show up and die

http://www.bluemilkspecial.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2015-01-02-ROTJ-100.jpg

ShadowbaneX
12-19-2016, 09:09 AM

http://www.bluemilkspecial.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2015-01-02-ROTJ-100.jpg
SP, as that guy, your job is to go be a Bothan.:mad:

Daekyras
12-19-2016, 09:11 AM

This was the first Death Star.

Many Bothans died getting the plans for the second Death Star.

Davian93
12-19-2016, 09:40 AM
For geeks. If you're going into the movie blind, and there's quite a few now that haven't seen the Original Trilogy, they've got no idea who she is.

Any real SW fan would know...if they aren't real fans like that, screw em.

Davian93
12-19-2016, 09:44 AM
This was the first Death Star.

Many Bothans died getting the plans for the second Death Star.

I was hoping Ackbar would be in it but it was pretty cool to see his predecessor Admiral Raddus...and it was also cool to see a different race of Mon Calamari (he was from the arctic region so it was gray instead of orange like Ackbar who apparently is from a more temperate area of the planet).

Raddus was pretty awesome...not Ackbar awesome but still cool. A shame he dies (presumably Vader probably executes the entire crew of that cruiser as traitors)

Raddus had major balls..."Oh, you all aren't gonna attack and are just gonna run away? Well fuck that, I'm taking my fleet and attacking instead"

ShadowbaneX
12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Apparently based in part on Churchill.

StrangePackage
12-19-2016, 10:22 AM
SP, as that guy, your job is to go be a Bothan.:mad:

Sorry, can't be a bothan, already a kitten.

StrangePackage
12-19-2016, 10:23 AM
So can I just say that the difference between George Lucas and a real director couldn't have been more perfectly illustrated by the different Jedi Masters in combat (Yoda in Ep 2 vs Vader in RO) had they set out to make the point.

I can only imagine the pirouettes and backflips Lucas would have put in for Vader.

Davian93
12-19-2016, 11:25 AM
So can I just say that the difference between George Lucas and a real director couldn't have been more perfectly illustrated by the different Jedi Masters in combat (Yoda in Ep 2 vs Vader in RO) had they set out to make the point.

I can only imagine the pirouettes and backflips Lucas would have put in for Vader.

Every time I watch any of the prequels, I realize just how awful they really are. In a lot of ways, Ep 2 is even worse than Phantom Menace...something that shouldn't be possible given just how awful Phantom Menace is.

connabard
12-19-2016, 12:02 PM
As someone who's not a big fan of any star wars movie so far I'm not sure how to gauge reactions to R1, I hate 1-3, although I like Obi-Wan v Anakin at the end of 3 not for the actual fight but I thought it was the only time Hayden Christensen wasn't the equivalent of a plank of wood and Ewan always brings it home, and while I can recognize how 4-6 were revolutionary and good, I only really enjoy 5. I thought 7 would be good if you'd never seen 4, because that movie seemed to me to be A New Hope 2.0

Is this movie good (assuming you liked it) because it's well-executed/written well/etc or is it good because it's Star Wars?

ShadowbaneX
12-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Sorry, can't be a bothan, already a kitten.

To can be both...:mad:

Davian93
12-19-2016, 01:39 PM
As someone who's not a big fan of any star wars movie so far I'm not sure how to gauge reactions to R1, I hate 1-3, although I like Obi-Wan v Anakin at the end of 3 not for the actual fight but I thought it was the only time Hayden Christensen wasn't the equivalent of a plank of wood and Ewan always brings it home, and while I can recognize how 4-6 were revolutionary and good, I only really enjoy 5. I thought 7 would be good if you'd never seen 4, because that movie seemed to me to be A New Hope 2.0

Is this movie good (assuming you liked it) because it's well-executed/written well/etc or is it good because it's Star Wars?

I think its good because they made a ton of effort to make it fit with New Hope from both an artistic feel and from a story standpoint. There isn't any awful retconning like you had in Phantom Menace and the rest of the prequels. This movie actually makes New Hope a much better film which is an achievement in and of itself. They took the trailer of Star Wars and turned it into a 2 hour noble sacrifice war movie that explains just how desperate the situation was in New Hope and also illustrates the dark side of the Rebels too.

The slow buildup in the movie is being criticized by many idiots online but people seem to forget that you need character development and story building rather than action scene to action scene to action scene. Go watch The Force Awakens again...there is literally zero character development in that film. Its just 20 action scenes tacked on one after the other and all of it is basically the Cliffs Notes version of the original trilogy with zero new ideas. Its the same thing Abrams did with the Star Trek reboots...he banked on nostalgia and people already knowing the characters/world to avoid having to do any development of his own.

This movie had all that and while the beginning portion was a bit disjointed due to the jumping around, at least it gave us some insight into the motivations of the people involved.

fionwe1987
12-19-2016, 10:39 PM
The slow buildup

When people say slow, I think they mean choppy. Too many events in too many planets.

Also, I kind of wish the crew was a little smaller. As it was, most of them didn't get the development they deserved.

Khoram
12-20-2016, 07:42 AM
I just saw it last night, and man was it awesome! The only part I didn't love was the jerk in front of me who had his phone on. -_- I loved how they tied it in to A New Hope, but it just felt weird, not having the opening scrawl at the beginning.

rand
12-21-2016, 12:55 AM
I was finally able to see it tonight and thought it was great. I actually kind of liked the choppy beginning. It gave it kind of an Ocean's 11 sort of feel where you meet everyone.

I thought it was pretty cool to see Vader's castle finally. Lucas had planned that for Empire Strikes back but eventually scrapped the idea. Was it supposed to be Mustafar? It was the only planet they didn't bother naming with on-screen text, for some reason. And of course the final Vader scene is awesome. Though it now seems odd that he calmly follows the stormtroopers onto the Tantive at the beginning of Ep. 4 instead of going berserk again and killing everyone.

I didn't mind Tarkin or Leia too much. Tarkin, at least, pretty much had to be in this movie for the Death Star scenes. Yeah, he looked a little weird, but it was better than recasting him. I've seen a couple reviewers freak out over how terrible Tarkin and Leia look, going so far as to compare them to Jar Jar. I mean, it's obvious they're CGI, but it was pretty damn good CGI IMO. As for why Leia was right in the midst of the battle...it's a least supported by Ep. 4, where one of the first lines is C3PO's "there'll be no escape for the princess this time." Pretty similar to Vader's "There will be no one to stop us this time," a little later on.

I liked all the easter eggs I saw except one...what was the point of having the 2 guys from the cantina scene be on Jedha? It wasn't like it was a drawn out scene or anything, but it was still kinda weird. Thankfully George Lucas hadn't directed this, or those two guys would have hosted the Jedha pod race (in which Salacious Crumb, revealed as Sebulba's grandson, narrowly beats out Dengar).

And of course there's the fact this movie has by far the best battle scenes of any Star Wars...

I'm not sure how to rank it against the other 7, though. It's just so different(which is good). No matter how good any future Star Wars movie is, it would feel almost sacreligious to rank it higher than ANH or ESB. I guess I'd go with:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) New Hope
3) Rogue One
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Force Awakens
6) Revenge of the Sith
7) Attack of the Clones (I guess...)
8) Holiday Special
9) Root Canal
10) That cartoon one I've never seen
11) Phantom Menace

Frenzy
12-23-2016, 02:49 PM
The "Many Bothans died..." quote was in Return of the Jedi, referring to the Emperor showing up on the 2nd Death Star. Mon Mothma wasn't even in A New Hope.

/Nerdsplaining

Frenzy
12-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Saw it on my birthday, loved it. It was kinda slow in the beginning, but picked up nicely.

The CGI Tarkin & Leia didn't bug me. tbh, i didn't notice at first. i was trying to figure out how they got a modern actor to look so much like Peter Cushing, and why they did such a shitty job on his make-up, before i figured it out.

i also thought they made Carrie Fisher's daughter look like Leia at first, but then realized her eyes were too big to be real. Guess that whole Disney Princess thing is kicking in.

K-2SO is now my daughter's favorite Star Wars character. She has good taste.

Minor annoyance: Why was Jyn Erso in Imperial custody at the beginning? Guess it doesn't matter, but still.

Meta question: Bail Organa deliberately sends Anakin's politically savvy & force-sensitive daughter to Anakin's old Jedi Master, who Bail knew also kept an eye on her brother. So what was the New Hope: the Death Star plans or Leia? :p

Khoram
12-23-2016, 05:00 PM
So what was the New Hope: the Death Star plans or Leia? :p

Yes. :D

Ozymandias
12-27-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure I agreed with the glowing reviews. I thought the last 45 minutes were excellent as a set piece action movie. The first hour or so were incredibly dull and meaningless in the context of the movie.

I saw it twice now, and the first time I loved it, the second time had incredibly mixed reactions, for one reason (the same one the prequels sucked): no characterization.

Why do any of these people care, about each other, or anything? Chirrut and Baze help Jyn for almost no reason at all, and stick with them for the same no-reason-given. Why are we supposed to buy these people as a team? I got the feeling that the director was thinking "they're all gonna die, so why bother establishing any kind of background for them".

For that matter, Jyn goes from totally apathetic mercenary criminal (in regards to the Empire) to hardcore rebel in the space of 15 seconds of watching her father tell her he loves her. We have absolutely nothing priming us for that change; not a minute before that we have Jyn telling Saw Guerrrero that she doesn't care at all about the Rebellion.

The script almost manages to touch on some kind of moral arc for Cassian, between killing the informant, not killing Galen, and then his whole speech before heading off to the final battle, but it needed a little more attention to make it stick. Other than that, I either didn't understand the motivation of, or didn't buy the change of heart, for a single other character.

Also, much as I adore Ben Mendelsohn, he had literally no need to be in this movie aside from providing that smarmy, superior, snake-ish sense of menace that he does so well. I mean, can anyone pinpoint one line or scene which he's in which couldn't have been accomplished without losing any dramatic/narrative impact by having it been CGI-Tarkin, Vader, or even some nameless Imperial officer?

JohnatanRog
03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Remember when about half of us would walk the edge of indecency, narrowly averting the ban-hammer, just by posting a response to a thread like this?

Oh, the good-ol days