PDA

View Full Version : New Doctor?

Kimon
01-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Peter Capaldi is "stepping down" as the Doctor.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38805151

Have to believe this was a euphemism for him being fired.

Will be interesting to see if the show just takes a hiatus, or if they make the effort to do something tangential to reinvigorate the franchise a bit. I've been watching some of the old Tom Baker episodes on the local pbs, and I kind of wish they would just do something random, like say, have the next iteration follow a regenerated version of Romana (perhaps even bring back Lalla Ward for the first episode), rather than have yet another regeneration of the Doctor. They never did explain what happened to her after she decided to ditch (probably because he and Lalla's real life marriage was falling apart) Tom Baker's version of the Doctor.

Davian93
01-30-2017, 08:41 PM
That was a pretty short stint as Doctor. Honestly, Capaldi never really made a good Doctor anyway.

Daekyras
01-31-2017, 06:42 AM
I hope they have charles dance as the new doctor and have him be a menacing, crotchety presence.

Mort
01-31-2017, 11:04 AM
That was a pretty short stint as Doctor. Honestly, Capaldi never really made a good Doctor anyway.

I am of the opinion Doctor Who never really made a good effort of being a tv show ;)

Khoram
01-31-2017, 05:13 PM
I liked Capaldi as the Doctor, so I'm disappointed that he won't be back. My sister is a huge fan, and she's also disappointed, although when I broke the news to her, she thought I was telling her he had died. XD

Think they're gonna go redhead woman? :D

Davian93
01-31-2017, 09:19 PM
I liked Capaldi as the Doctor, so I'm disappointed that he won't be back. My sister is a huge fan, and she's also disappointed, although when I broke the news to her, she thought I was telling her he had died. XD

Think they're gonna go redhead woman? :D

We can hope...

Kimon
01-31-2017, 09:30 PM
We can hope...

I think a woman would be a good choice, but if by redhead he meant Catherine Tate, no. Donna was one of the few recent characters that I found even more annoying than Peter Capaldi.

BBC has a couple of names that they, and apparently casting types have thrown out and speculated upon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

Personally, I think Emma Watson would make the ideal choice. Catherine Tate is unfortunately also on this list.

Addendum:

Steven Moffat is apparently also leaving...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38801228

Capaldi, who plays the 12th Doctor, will return for a new series of the show in April, with his final episode shown at Christmas.
His final series also marks the departure of lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat.

Khoram
01-31-2017, 09:50 PM
A lot of people don't like Moffat, though. Or, at least, he infuriates them. I honestly haven't been watching Dr. Who enough for it to really matter to me.

I don't know if I could see Emma Watson as the Doctor. Not that I really know anything; see, that's what the military really teaches you: how you know nothing, and will never really know enough. XD Especially about important things, like who would be a good replacement for the Doctor. :D

Davian93
01-31-2017, 10:18 PM
Idris Elba...he can play any role.

SomeOneElse
02-02-2017, 02:53 AM
Hope the good old Doctor is back because everyone is tired of this Moffat's bullshit

Kimon
07-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Finally announced - Jodie Whittaker. She was good in Broadchurch, so hopefully this will be an improvement over the mistake that was Capaldi, though in his defense, the show's writing has been getting stale, so it wasn't all his fault.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-40626273/doctor-who-s-13th-time-lord-unveiled

StrangePackage
07-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Hope the good old Doctor is back because everyone is tired of this Moffat's bullshit

Been tired of that shit. So glad he's heading on.

Can you imagine him trying to write a woman doctor? Yeesh

Kimon
07-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Been tired of that shit. So glad he's heading on.

Can you imagine him trying to write a woman doctor? Yeesh

Moffat wrote a bunch of great episodes, and two of his best Who episodes were focused more on a standalone female lead rather than on the Doctor - The Girl in the Fireplace & Blink. The quality of the writing for the Who episodes however seemed to take a nosedive starting around '12, coinciding likely with the fact that he was also writing for Sherlock, and likely was getting bored with Who.

StrangePackage
07-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Moffat wrote a bunch of great episodes, and two of his best Who episodes were focused more on a standalone female lead rather than on the Doctor - The Girl in the Fireplace & Blink. The quality of the writing for the Who episodes however seemed to take a nosedive starting around '12, coinciding likely with the fact that he was also writing for Sherlock, and likely was getting bored with Who.

He wrote a few good episodes and came up with some creative entities which he ran into the fucking ground, every woman he ever wrote seemed to exist exclusively in their relation to the Doctor/Sherlock, and he sucked all the emotional gravity out of the Whoverse and even undid the emotional core of an entire Doctor with his love affair of the Big Reset Button.

I will not miss him.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-25-2017, 07:43 AM
1) Capaldi's fine. Loads better than Matt Smith (please don't shoot me... I just have extremaly low tolerance for boymen/manboys whateverthehell you call the Matt Cauthon archetype)

2) Cool, a female Doctor

3) Moffat... eh. I must admit, I find the writing for Sherlock hard to follow/laying it on thick sometimes/miraculously stretching 10 minutes of content into (what feels like) 30 minutes of dialogue. I very much enjoyed several single episodes of Who of the past few seasons, but overall there seemed to be a lack of direction or common thread

Kimon
07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
1) Capaldi's fine. Loads better than Matt Smith (please don't shoot me... I just have extremaly low tolerance for boymen/manboys whateverthehell you call the Matt Cauthon archetype)

Matt Smith's tenure was largely carried more by Karen Gillan. David Tennant has been by far the best doctor since Tom Baker. Still liked Smith far more than Capaldi. I felt like the show went into precipitous decline once they killed off Amy Pond. Bringing in Clara (Jenna Coleman) helped, but I liked her far better with Matt Smith than with Capaldi.

I think it a mark of how much better Tennant was than the other modern doctors (except John Hurt - he was excellent in that brief stint as the War Doctor) that even having boring companions didn't hurt the strength of his doctor. With Smith and Capaldi, I either liked their companion better than them, or didn't like their companion, and then stopped watching.