PDA

View Full Version : 10 year anniversary!

Anaiya Sedai
02-21-2017, 08:03 AM
*shouts into the emptiness*
I missed it!
Last December marks 10 years of TL for me.
I'm so glad to know you all.
Life is a very different thing now to what it was like when I first joined, you've all accompanied me through finishing college, university, wedding, babies, and more.

I'm feeling soppy today, so I just wanted to say thank you.
And an extra special thank you to Tam for being our fearless (and sometimes absent) leader.

Davian93
02-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Meh...Noob!

Davian93
02-21-2017, 10:25 AM
On a more serious note...fun thread idea though.

I joined in September 2003 on the main site and December 2004 on the discussion board (back when it was EZBoard...in the long ago, the before time before Yuku and before vBulletin)

I was 22, still in the Army and was an ardent believer in the Two Soul theory and got into several arguments with Callandor about that when I was a noob.

Now I'm 35 and old and I have a real job and a wife, two houses, and a couple of dogs that kinda like me.

Funny story, I found the site by googling "When will Book 11 of Wheel of Time come out?"

I started reading Wheel of Time in the summer of 1994 when I was 12 going on 13...I found a "cool looking book" in a used book sale bin at the North Wales Public Library vestibule in North Wales, PA. It was a paperback version of tEotW and it cost me a cool 25 cents to buy. I had no idea it was a multi-book story at that time and was super happy to find out that there were already 5 books out so it "must be nearly done". Lord of Chaos was the first new book that came out for me later that year and I bought it in hardback for what was a fortune to me then (like $20...or double what I pay on my Starbucks run before work now). I also remember thinking it took FOREVER for Crown of Swords to come out and I was super excited to find it at a Wegmans a couple years later while on summer vacation at my cousins house. I remember never knowing when the next book would come out and not realizing that anyone else ever read those books since I would have been damned if I told my friends in school I read "those weird fantasy books".

So...congrats on 10 years, Anaiya. Its been fun, eh?

Anaiya Sedai
02-21-2017, 10:46 AM
It has! I think I found TL in a similar fashion actually. :D

Brita
02-21-2017, 12:05 PM
I found TL when I was looking for a re-read/synopsis site to brush up on the plot details before the next book came out. I lurked for a long time before jumping in. I still enjoy just observing the WoT Canon Discussions- but love the comaraderie I found in Non-WoT.

I am inordinately proud to be a part of this online community ♥

rand
02-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Whoa, that means it's been over 10 years for me too. Back then I was young and immature, and now of course I'm...uh...yeah...

Kimon
02-21-2017, 03:53 PM
I remember never knowing when the next book would come out and not realizing that anyone else ever read those books since I would have been damned if I told my friends in school I read "those weird fantasy books".

My friends conveniently had similarly weird taste in books as did I. I started the series on the recommendation of a friend in freshman year, back in the fall of '92. Most of those old fantasy novel type friends unfortunately gave up on the series around WH and CoT.

It does always give a series a bit of an odd feel though when just about two or so years passes for the characters, while around twenty years passes for the reader. At least it had a finish however, I've given up hope on ever getting to read GRRM's version of how aSoIaF should have been wrapped up. At this point I'm not even sure if he has just given up out of apathy, or simply due to how irreparably different the show has become from the books.

Sarevok
02-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Wow... that probably means almost 11 years at TL for me... now I feel old. :/

Anaiya Sedai
02-23-2017, 06:39 AM
Hehe, I have moments like that all the time.
I was in a meeting earlier where the topic of our childhood phone numbers came up, and I recalled one of mine and mentioned that that was the house we lived in 25 years ago.. Two of the women in that meeting told me that that was longer than they had been alive. *cries*

GonzoTheGreat
02-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Death is lighter than a feather, but it does have some drawbacks.

Davian93
02-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Hehe, I have moments like that all the time.
I was in a meeting earlier where the topic of our childhood phone numbers came up, and I recalled one of mine and mentioned that that was the house we lived in 25 years ago.. Two of the women in that meeting told me that that was longer than they had been alive. *cries*

I had a similar moment a while ago...A song came on at work and I said something like "Wow, that song came out in 93..." One of my employees said "I was born in 93".

Damn kids.

GonzoTheGreat
02-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Kids these days are getting younger all the time.

Purple Dragon
02-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Kids these days are getting younger all the time.

So they are... i blame the chineese... godessdammit

ShadowbaneX
02-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Well, my first "theory" (it's a stupid one) is date stamped 1998-11-07...it's 18 years old. One of my oldest theories is old enough to drive, vote, join the military and (in Quebec) drink.

Davian93
02-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Well, my first "theory" (it's a stupid one) is date stamped 1998-11-07...it's 18 years old. One of my oldest theories is old enough to drive, vote, join the military and (in Quebec) drink.

What a scary thought.

Anaiya Sedai
02-25-2017, 05:33 AM
I had a similar moment a while ago...A song came on at work and I said something like "Wow, that song came out in 93..." One of my employees said "I was born in 93".

Damn kids.

One of my staff did something similar, but she was born in 1996 :eek:
And a kid in my store told me last week that he likes REALLY OLD CONSOLES like the PlayStation 1.

Davian93
02-25-2017, 04:38 PM
One of my staff did something similar, but she was born in 1996 :eek:
And a kid in my store told me last week that he likes REALLY OLD CONSOLES like the PlayStation 1.

I still play original Nintendo games...on a 3 in 1 emulator that also plays Sega Genesis and SNES cartridges.

It was the best $60 I ever spent to buy it.

rand
02-25-2017, 10:06 PM
I still have an Atari 2600 that more or less works.

And the museum I work at is getting a replica of the prototype of a Magnavox Odyssey, the first console ever (it was invented in NH in 1972).

Davian93
02-26-2017, 12:07 AM
I took apart my copy of NHL 96 for Genesis to solder on a new battery so I could save seasons again on it. Totally worth doing too.

ShadowbaneX
02-26-2017, 10:31 AM
I took apart my copy of NHL 96 for Genesis to solder on a new battery so I could save seasons again on it. Totally worth doing too.
I'd love to get a hole of a Mini-NES, but that's just nostalgia. I'd kill to get a hold of a Mini-SNES.

Khoram
02-26-2017, 04:29 PM
I've been around for only seven years, but those seven years sure did get me through some tough times, and finally it was thanks to you guys that I finally went out and applied to the military. Now look at me: I'm back in "school", doing my career course, and in a few short months (a few meaning nine), short of failing, I'll be an official Air Battle Manager, with my own set of wings.

I definitely don't feel as old as you guys, seeing as I was born in '91... :D

Cary Sedai
02-26-2017, 09:52 PM
wow, 10 years for me, too...:D

Terez
02-28-2017, 04:05 AM
Happy (belated) anniversary! I can't remember if I celebrated mine. Probably not, because I joined the home site and ezboard at different times. For the home site, 10 years would have been October 2014, and for ezboard, June 2015. But it's been a while.

Zaela Sedai
03-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Holy Carp!

I found the main site back when it was still Buffy/WoT... when i was 19 :eek: Now I'm closing in on 35... I am closing in on 14 years since finding the boards though. That's friggen nuts! I love all you guys for what you got me through way back when. Man do I miss the chatroom! Now I've been remarried for 10 years with 3 little boys running my life, Lord help me!

I still remember how excited I was when I could go to the TL site on a blackberry while I was out!:rolleyes:

Davian93
03-02-2017, 09:59 PM
ZAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rand
03-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Wait, was TL solely a Buffy site at one point? Or was it both WoT and Buffy to start?

Isabel
03-03-2017, 02:06 AM
It was both buffy and wot ;)

GonzoTheGreat
03-03-2017, 04:03 AM
Well, technically it was both Buffy and WoT. But all the Buffy posts were old already when the Internet was still young, so it is anyone's guess where they came from. Maybe Al Gore wrote them personally and then created the Internet so that he could share them with others.

Davian93
03-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Holy Carp!

I found the main site back when it was still Buffy/WoT... when i was 19 :eek: Now I'm closing in on 35... I am closing in on 14 years since finding the boards though. That's friggen nuts! I love all you guys for what you got me through way back when. Man do I miss the chatroom! Now I've been remarried for 10 years with 3 little boys running my life, Lord help me!

I still remember how excited I was when I could go to the TL site on a blackberry while I was out!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I miss the chatroom too.

I can't believe you've been remarried 10 years now.

Also, for no other reason...thumbdrive LMAO.

Sarevok
03-04-2017, 01:09 PM
We should just all join the chatroom again, then! :D

rand
03-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Does it work? I thought chat was broken. I'm usually just on my phone when I post but I can try to come on my laptop more often.

Sarevok
03-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Does it work? I thought chat was broken. I'm usually just on my phone when I post but I can try to come on my laptop more often.
Was fixed years ago. :)

Khoram
03-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Was fixed years ago. :)

And it works on mobile. At least, it does on my phone.

Isabel
03-05-2017, 12:37 PM
And it works on mobile. At least, it does on my phone.

So we can all be in the chat;)

Khoram
03-05-2017, 01:11 PM
So we can all be in the chat;)

At all times. ;)