PDA

View Full Version : Re-release of Original Star Wars Trilogy?

rand
02-24-2017, 01:17 AM
Apparently this (http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-original-cuts/) is just a rumor right now, but it sounds somewhat likely that Disney might release the original/unaltered/theatrical versions of the original trilogy on DVD/Blu-ray to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Star Wars.

This would be pretty awesome, IMO. My dad has a box set (the letterbox edition I think?) of VHS, but I'm not even sure if that is the "original" version of the trilogy. And I can't play them anymore anyway without a VHS player...

Maybe for the 50th anniversary they can release a 10 minute version of the prequels that has all the stupid stuff cut out.

Davian93
02-24-2017, 11:11 AM
I thought Lucas literally destroyed the original film stock prints to the point that that was impossible?

GonzoTheGreat
02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Perfect time to quote Britney, isn't it?
"Britney, before you go, there's something I want you to have."
"Oh, it's beautiful, but wait a minute, isn't this..?"
"Yeah, yes it is."
"But I thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end."
"Well, baby, I went down and got it for you."Don't even need time travel, this way.

DahLliA
03-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Perfect time to quote Britney, isn't it?
Don't even need time travel, this way.

Sometimes I wonder, Gonzo...

Anyway. We all know Han shot first, but I guess the younger fans would benefit from seeing proof.

GonzoTheGreat
03-10-2017, 04:56 AM
Strange how often Britney turns out to be right, isn't it?

Anyway. We all know Han shot first, but I guess the younger fans would benefit from seeing proof.
Maybe a de-release of the edited version would be sufficient.

Davian93
03-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Han didn't shoot first, he's simply the only one that did shoot. He gunned Greedo down preemptively. That's why Han was so a great character in the original trilogy. He wasn't a good guy...at least not a white knight type of good guy. He had no problem gunning down a bounty hunter before that bounty hunter had a chance to even think of shooting. Greedo was pulling the classic bad guy mistake of talking too much and Han took care of it.

That classic scene from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly comes to mind.

"If you're gonna talk, talk. If you're gonna shoot, shoot"

That monstrosity of a scene as well as the godawful "Jedi Rocks" extended dance number in Jedi are by far the worst two edits that were made in the special editions. Runner up is the "We've gotta put Jabba in Episode 4!!!" for stupidity.

DahLliA
03-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Han didn't shoot first, he's simply the only one that did shoot. He gunned Greedo down preemptively. That's why Han was so a great character in the original trilogy. He wasn't a good guy...at least not a white knight type of good guy. He had no problem gunning down a bounty hunter before that bounty hunter had a chance to even think of shooting.

That and the whole "I love you" -> "I know" thing really set Han up as a really awesome character, yeah.

Set him apart a bit from all the other golden-hearted rogues that are everywhere.

DahLliA
03-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Strange how often Britney turns out to be right, isn't it?

Apart from some less-than-successful drunken karaoke I can't really say I know her texts well enough to say.

Unless "hit me baby, one more time" is a really deep description of something important.

Guess with the way things are going with the planet, "Toxic" could be a good description for Earth soon.

GonzoTheGreat
03-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Unless "hit me baby, one more time" is a really deep description of something important.
Nah, the really deep description of all of human history is "Oops, I did it again". Whether or not humanity is something important is up for debate; at the moment I can't think of any relevant Britney quote on that subject apart from maybe "you know, that's like, whatever". And that's from an interview, not one of her songs, so it may not count as canon.

rand
03-10-2017, 11:30 PM
That monstrosity of a scene as well as the godawful "Jedi Rocks" extended dance number in Jedi are by far the worst two edits that were made in the special editions. Runner up is the "We've gotta put Jabba in Episode 4!!!" for stupidity.
Obi Wan's bizarre shrieking thing to scare away the Tusken Raiders has got to be up there too. At least that Jabba scene was originally intended to be in the film.

I actually tried looking around and from what I can tell it's apparently hard to say what the "original" versions are, at least of Ep. 4, as it apparently varied slightly depending on what movie theater you saw it in. FWIW though, the library of congress claims to have a copy of the original film, so George didn't destroy all of them